“1 out of 2 is bad” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 63 Restaurants in Shipley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Description: Located on the banks of the canal, directly opposite the Ibis Hotel, the Waterside Restaurant and Bar is one of Shipley's best-kept secrets.In its idyllic location, the restaurant offers a range of British dishes to suit every taste and appetite. The food is locally sourced and high quality and the dishes are freshly cooked to order. With the opportunity to eat and drink 'alfresco' in the covered courtyard on warmer days, there really is no better place to dine out in the area.In addition the Waterside also holds comedy nights on the last Monday in the month.
Bingley, United Kingdom
“1 out of 2 is bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to be greeted with a very warm welcome, I was thinking this was the start of a great evening.
We took our drinks to the table and looked at the menu, it looked really good
We skipped the starter after I had seen the puddings online.
After a while we were told there wouls be a delay due to a large booking (12)?
We were offerd complementary bread, still thinking what a great place , it is a very nice looking place and the music was at really good level (there is a reason why it' s called background music, don't know what the other reviewer was thinking?)
We had now been here 45 minutes, I did ask if the lamb would be pink, sometimes Health and stupid saftey goes to far, I was told of course it will.

My wifes meal arrived, she said it was delicious and then I saw my duck. Oops!!!
It was not pink, even my wife was quite amused, I decided not to say anything because we had waited so long I was starting to eat my own hand.
It tasted ok and was very presented so I thought this must be a mistake, that was until I saw the ducks going to the table of 12 they were the same.

Till being positive I was thinking about the puddings.
Mine was ok my wife was really shocked........she had asked for the dark chocolate and cherry mouse. We eat out quite a lot and my wife usually has a mouse and so do I.
It was like instant whip and it cost £6.95.........I had a tast, it was not dark chocolate.

On the table of 12 a lady was crying about an event with a waitress, I also noted it was nearly 10 minutes from the first to the last customer.

It's such a shame because it is a really nice place but in today's social media world you cannot afford to make a mistake.

Maybe I have fortunate enough to eat at some really great restaurants so my bar was set to high.

Would not recommend to a friend, others who knows

My wife and I would not go back and will stick to what we know and trust.

Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
You are right. Our customers should leave having received 100% satisfaction and we are therefore sorry you did not when you visited.
As our food is cooked to order there can be a delay if you do not have a starter. As the starters are being enjoyed, we can begin to prepare the main course. The fact it coincided with us serving a large party compounded the delay, hence why we provided you with complementary bread and olives.
While the duck is served pink it sounds as though you like it very pink. We prepare it to appeal to the majority of diners but we will cook it to individual preferences, if requested.
Regarding the ‘mousse’ (as opposed to mouse), we made it lighter as we were getting feedback that it was previously a little too rich. It sounds as though we have gone too far the other way, so we will rectify that.
You were asked on a number of occasions if everything was to your liking but as you mention, you decided not to say anything. As you will appreciate we cannot put things right if we believe you are happy.
You state that ‘in today’s social media world you cannot afford to make a mistake.’ That is a bit harsh as we all make mistakes. It is the way the mistake or complaint is rectified that matters. However I take your point, it is an unforgiving world we live in today, sadly.
I appreciate you will not be returning but if you are unhappy when you visit another restaurant please tell them rather than posting your complaints online so it is read by thousands. Let them try and put it right to your satisfaction first, as negative comments can really damage reputations especially when we are all working so hard in these tough economic times.
If they don’t put it right to your complete satisfaction then you have every right to air your grievances online.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We went to the Waterside for a change of scenery. There wasn't much variety on the menu. The food was really poor when we received it. We used our taste card but still not worth the money. Would not go back again.

Visited November 2012
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hi Rachael,
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your visit in November 2012. I have to say we are surprised that you don't think we have much variety on the menu. Most of the reviews we receive on here are very positive about the choices we offer.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great food, would reccomend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had a lovely evening here. The food was excellent with a diverse menu so there's something for everyone. The service could of been a bit faster and the music a bit louder, but neither detracted too much from the night and the staff were incredibly friendly.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thanks Watto for taking the time to post a review and saying that you would recommend us. It genuinely means a lot to us. However we have noted your comments and they have been passed onto the team. Hope to see you again soon.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Wonderful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Excellent food fantastic staff. We stayed in Shipley as we were supposed to be seeing Elkie Brooks in Ilkley. Unfortunately the lady was ill and could not perform. We were talking to the staff about this and all through our meal they played Elkie's music. That was so thoughtful and kind. Will definitely go again. Thank you for making our evening.

Visited November 2012
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thanks for a great review. We like to go the ‘extra mile’ for our customers so we are really pleased you had a lovely evening with us despite your disappointment at missing Elkie Brooks. Hope to see you again soon – perhaps when Elkie reschedules.
Bradford, United Kingdom
“A real Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were looking for something a little different....a restaurant that sets itself apart from the competition...and we found it....The Waterside
A beautiful setting adjacent to the canal. Inside the atmosphere was warm and the staff most welcoming.The food , cooked to order, was flavoursome and finely judged. We can recommend the sea bass.
Although the restaurant was full we were not rushed and had time to enjoy each course and the wine from a well stocked cellar.
We left having received first class food and service. Congratulations to James and his team

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are pleased you found us a little different. As a family run business we are not restricted to the generic formula of the restaurant chains. It is therefore great to receive feedback that you liked our approach and offering. Look forward to seeing you again soon.