“TAKE£ A MAGNIFYING GLASS” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 35 Restaurants in Borehamwood
Cuisines: English, British, Pub, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Oaklands Toby Carvery. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Borehamwood’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
London, United Kingdom
“TAKE£ A MAGNIFYING GLASS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A typical pub dining room. A cheeky chappie of a carver. A choice of four joints. Yorkshire puddings and a self-serve selection of vegetables. So far so good until the cheeky chappie carves your portion and that's when the magnifying glass is needed as there is so little meat a vegetarian would not be offended.

Unless you are there early the beef, turkey, gammon and pork will be dry and the peas, cauliflower, parsnips and potatoes cold. Yorkshire would disown the Puds whilst the stuffing could seriously damages your foot if dropped.

This was almost acceptable when priced at £5, as it was not so long ago, but it is now £6.25 and if you've had a drink then a £10 note is gone.

Never thought I'd say it but a Harvester meal is better.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“ABSOLUTELY APPALLING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We went to this restaurant Thursday early evening at 7.00pm.
The service was diabolical, although the restaurant was far from busy. They are short staffed We waited 30 minutes for our drinks to come and that was only after reminding the waitress that we were still waiting.
Our starters came at 7.50pm !!
The carvery was dreadful; the tiny piece of beef at the carvery apparently wouldn't be replaced until it had all gone, the chef was rude and flippant and the yorkshire puddings had probably been there for a week. The vegetables were far from cooked adequately, too.
The four of us left vowing NEVER to return there.
DO NOT GO THERE AS THEIR PRIORITIES ARE CERTAINLY NOT THEIR CUSTOMERS.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“They have lost the plot”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was first recommended this restaurant about 3 years ago, and have been several times since. But last night was an experience of its own. From entering the restaurant to being served the first course took about 50 minutes. Even when waiting to be served the carvery, we queued for 5 minutes before anyone appeared. The quality of the food was indifferent (it used to be better).
The restaurant was not especially busy, but even so, there was not enough staff. I used to recommend this restaurant, but no more. I shaln't be returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, England
“AVOID!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I always said that a hotel or restaurant would have to be particularly bad for me to post a bad review on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately this is my first! I have just returned from a bad night at this establishment. It took 10 minutes after being seated to take our drinks order THEN another 20 minutes before we received our drinks and take the order for the first course THEN another 20 minutes before we received the first course! My opinion is that this was not the fault of the waitress but the fault of deliberate company policy of understaffing. The restaurant appeared to be just over half full and it appeared that 2, YES JUST 2 members of staff were looking after the bar and restaurant with no manager in sight! I do not blame the 2 members of staff, who were both clearly trying to keep calm while being under a lot of pressure.

My first course was an onion and cheese tart. This was dry and overcooked. The carvery was a disappointment too. The beef was down to very close to the end of the joint. When one of my companions asked for some beef from a fresh joint, he was informed by the chef that the existing joint had to be used up first. Another company policy no doubt. The parsnips were hard as were the roast potatoes. The yorkshire pudding wasn't a pudding but a crisp outer case with no soft middle. When broken up by a fork it resembled the contents of a packet of crisps. We weren't hanging around for dessert or coffee! This meal brought back memories of school dinners in the 1960s, only the school dinners were better. Now don't get me wrong, for the cost of the meal, I didn't expect too much. But I did expect something. Other comparable restaurants can give service and quality at the price, why can't this group?

If you read my other reviews you will see that I have not posted a bad one. Indeed I bless Tripadvisor because it has never ever pointed me in the wrong direction and I have never had to post one before. I wish had taken note of the negative reviews before visiting this carvery.

I wanted to inform the company of my displeasure and tried the e mail address on the receipt, but it appears that this site is run by a third party and is slightly confusing. So Mitchells and Butlers Retail Ltd. you will just have to read this review like everyone else! You should be ashamed of yourselves and the fact is that on this showing you cannot compete with other comparable restaurants! Needless to say we won't be returning!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

It was an all you can eat buffet breakfast. Not a huge amount of choice for a vegetarian but it tasted okay. Some of it had been sat there for a while and toast was aweful. Was very cheap though.

Visited January 2013