“Excellent Hotel within Fabulous surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Attraction tickets
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lanark
Certificate of Excellence 2014
lanarkshire
“Excellent Hotel within Fabulous surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Very good, clean and comfortable room which would suit a family of 4 sufficiently with very comfortable bed. Friendly and welcoming bar area. Spa was great with friendly staff and lovely large pool, only downside would be that the Jacuzzi is part of the pool and slightly cold. Food in the restaurant was excellent with very good service. Would definitely recommend this hotel within a World Heritage site for great history and fabulous walks nearby.
Great hotel and excellent surroundings.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views - back of the hotel with good views of the river and front with good view...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark Mill Hotel. We very much appreciate your positive feedback and for sharing your experience on the internet.

I'm glad that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and that my team were friendly and helpful throughout. We strive to ensure our guests form a positive impression of their experience so I am delighted that you you have titled your review as an excellent hotel. Thank you very much for this.

Thank you also for your comments in relation to the Jacuzzi. We actually have a bubble pool, not a Jacuzzi. This is different to a normal jacuzzi in that it is part of the main pool and so the water temperature is the same. The force of the water is also softer. The bubble pool makes for a very nice feature within our pool area but shouldn't be mistaken for a Jacuzzi.

We are very grateful for your words of praise and certainly look forward to you returning in the future. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

John Stirrat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Spent an overnight stay in this hotel. The experience was very refreshing. Not a multi-national chain just local people doing a great job. The hotel and staff are a credit to Scotland. The Mill is also an excellent place to visit.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark Mill Hotel. I am delighted to read your positive comments and very grateful to you for sharing these on the internet.

Feedback like this is very much appreciated as it helps to promote our hotel to a wider audience and hopefully to encourage new guests to visit.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to New Lanark in the very near future.

Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had our Christmas party night with some of us staying over in the hotel, well all I can say is fab fab fab. From the hotel (lovely decor, amazing surroundings with amazing view of river Clyde from bedroom) the party night (fab food, disco amazing we danced all night) and lastly the staff (just fab again, nothing was any trouble) so much so we are booking for our next Christmas party night out and the ones who weren't staying are staying this time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark Mill Hotel. We very much appreciate your kind words of support and we are delighted to read that you and your party had a thoroughly enjoyable time at the Christmas party night. So much so that you are booking again for this year. That's excellent news and we certainly look forward to welcoming you all back.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience on the internet and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Biggar, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We dropped in for a bar meal in between Christmas & New Year after walking up the Falls of Clyde trail which is nearby - needless to say we removed our muddy hiking boots at the door!

There was a good atmosphere in the lounge with guests presumably booked in for the festivities or a wedding (there was a piper present). We noticed that there was also new furnishings since our last visit.

We like the hotel and have previously enjoyed meals and stayed there so this visit was a little disappointing.

We both had Chicken Penne Pasta which was correctly described as being “creamy” - there was a lot of cream - however sadly there wasn’t much in the way of chicken. The odd tiny cube of meat amongst the pasta was unusual (and didn’t even taste like chicken). We mentioned this to our server when they were collecting the plates. The Sticky Toffee Pudding to follow was nice but only served lukewarm so our 15% discount as members of the Hotel’s Health Club was welcome in the circumstances.

We’ll return of course and hope this was just an unusual off-day or meal. The staff, the food and surroundings usually make for a very good/excellent experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and for sharing your experience following your recent visit to our bar. I am of course disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable meal. Please accept my apologies for any shortcomings. I have discussed your review with my Head Chef and she appreciates your feedback.

I am pleased to read that in general you enjoy visiting our hotel and that you feel the staff and surroundings make for a good experience. If on this occasion we were unable to completely satisfy you then of course we are very sorry. We have taken your feedback on board and we will ensure that the Chicken Penne Pasta dish is served to its normal high standard in future. On your next visit please ask for me so that I can offer my apologies personally.

In the meantime thank you for taking the time to write a review and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Between Christmas and New Year we spent a stopover night in this hotel because my wife wanted to visit the Mill site. It's location in the Clyde valley is stunning (although you wouldn't want to tackle the steep road down from Lanark in snow and ice!). Our room, which was large and well appointed looked out over the river and the woods opposite. The bar and restaurant are rather functionally furnished but the meal we had was excellent. For £21 I had the best fillet steak I have ever had this side of the Atlantic. We will definitely revisit in the summer to explore the Falls of Clyde across the river.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel following your recent stay at New Lanark. We very much appreciate your positive feedback. I am delighted to read that you had the best steak ever on this side of the Atlantic. We are very proud to serve quality Scotch beef on our menu. I will certainly pass your comment of this onto my Head Chef. She'll be delighted to receive this positive feedback.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the summer. I'm sure you will enjoy everything that the World Heritage Site has to offer you. In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I read the recent ultra-critical review with absolute incredulity; the hotel it purports to describe bears no relation whatsoever to the reality. I urge all other readers to give not the slightest credence to it.

The simple truth is that this is a wonderful hotel. We had a fabulous New Year here. The amount of work and preparation that must have gone into creating such a superbly enjoyable and memorable experience was obvious to everyone.

Everything was spot-on: excellent food, clean, spacious rooms, beautiful surroundings, great entertainment, highly efficient and friendly staff. I have to say a special word about the manager, who is such an impressive guy, obviously totally dedicated, genuine and full of integrity. I'm sure his staff would be ready to walk through a brick wall for him.

We had a great New Year, and were very sad when it was time to leave. All our thanks again to everybody at New Lanark Mill Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the entire team here at New Lanark Mill Hotel I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a very favourable review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your stay at New Year. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am delighted that you found the experience to be superb. We very much appreciate your positive feedback and also for sharing it on the internet.

We try very hard to ensure that our guests have the most relaxing and memorable stay. It does appear on this occasion that you have left with a very positive impression indeed. I am very grateful to my staff for looking after you efficiently and in a friendly manner and personally I very much appreciate your kind words of support.

I am so happy that you had an enjoyable time at New Lanark and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Once again, thank you for your kind words and all the very best to you and your family for 2014.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

having just got married on 29/12/13 at New Lanark Mill, we can not say anything but a huge thanks to all staff involved. we had such a fantastic day and it even stayed dry to allow us to get photos taken on the roof top. The whole day when better than we imagined, so good it was over
too fast. Yes we would do it all over again and not change a single thing, I would recommend staying the night before too, the facilties are top class. we will certainly go back, even some of our family that stayed will be going back in the future, all our guests have commented how much they all enjoyed the venue.

Room Tip: I found the water side a bit noisy but that was due to the amount of rain that had fallen not anythi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of the team here at New Lanark Mill Hotel I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review following your wedding day. Thank you for your kind words. These are very much appreciated. It was a privilege for us looking after you on your special day and I am delighted that you had a fantastic day. It's very encouraging for us to receive such high praise and in particular to hear that your friends and family were also commenting on our hotel in a positive way.

May I wish you every happiness for your future together and thank you for choosing us as the venue for your special day.

John Stirrat

Been to New Lanark Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!