“Improver Course Feb/Mar 2014” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12 Attractions in Porthcawl
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Resident Surf School at Rest Bay Beach, Porthcawl, South Wales.Available for year round Surf Lessons and Surf Hire.You are able to have lessons for, surfing, Kayaking, Stand Up paddle boarding and Lifeguard training. You can hire Surfboards, Kayaks, Skimboards, Kayaks, Stand Up Paddle boards and wetsuits including boots, gloves and hoods. Just ring/text the surf phone 07583 348013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Improver Course Feb/Mar 2014”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I Joined the course to broadly gain more confidence in surfing unbroken waves and to improve some techniques, the course certainly addressed this but also was good in identifying other things I could do to generally improve.

The course was very structured, not rushed and Hugh was good at establishing a personal relationship with participants.

I would definitely recommend the Improver course to anyone wishing to improve their surfing

Mark

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Improver Lessons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Had our final Improvers lesson today, I must say I will be sad to see them finish, feel that all the knowledge, tips and feedback Hugh gave us is starting to sink in. Would recommend this to anyone thinking of changing their board because they aren't progressing, or wondering why they can't turn like the big boys. Hugh will certainly point you in the right direction and tell you what you need to do to get better.
Be prepared it is tiring and there is no air-brushing on the video!!!

Visited March 2014
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“"Helpful and generous"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I made my first visit to Porthcawl after buying a new board from e-bay. Excited at the prospect of trying it out I headed to Rest Bay. On my arrival I didn't have any change for the car park and approached Hugh from the surf school to find out where the nearest cash point was. Very generously he gave me the cash and then gave me some invaluable advice. Looking out to sea at the overhead sets coming in he educated me about the riptide and that a nearby beach (Coney) which was sheltered would probably be a safer bet for my first visit. That one conversation undoubtedly saved me from a pounding, so a massive thanks to Hugh for his generosity and helpful nature.Planning my next visit already!!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Improver Course well worth doing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I did the improver course in February 2014 and what I learned has really improved my surfing. I was getting on OK on my own but the advice that Dan and Huw gave me really helped. It also makes a real difference to see video of what you actually look like when surfing, it can be a bit of a surprise! I also learned loads about predicting the surf, Huw is a real expert in forecasting. If you have already done some surfing this is a really great course to get you to the next stage.

Ogmore-by-Sea, United Kingdom
“Top school”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I recently had a surf lesson with a friend of mine at Porthcawl Surf School. Huw took the class of six people, including too young children. He was an excellent teacher and was really great with the kids. In the two hours we covered all the basics and Huw made the 'pop up' look really easy. I've been back five times since and hired a board to try and master the basics and I'm now popping up more than I'm popping off the board although not with any style! Huw's friendliness and approachability is great. And the lesson and board hire are excellent value for money. I would recommend the school and surfing to all. Even if you've found it late in life like me.

Visited August 2013