“Didnt stay.......we had our money back” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Rest

The Rest
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Porthcawl
The Rest
You added The Rest to your Saves list
Rest Bay, Porthcawl CF36 3UP, Wales   |
Ranked #15 of 19 Porthcawl B&B and Inns
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Didnt stay.......we had our money back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I booked because there were no other rooms available in Portcawl due to the Elvis festival. I then researched the hotel and it said it was a convalesance home. When I booked I specifically asked if it was a Nursing/Residential Home and I was told not they were hotel. When we arrived the hotel??? reminded us of an old institution but that didnt detur us. When we walked into the main hallway there was no reception area just a staff signing in and out book and a message to say ring the front door bell. We saw a woman walking down the corridor towards us in a uniform and tabard as seen warn by carers and a notice on the wall saying someting about wounds. When we were taken into the office, I again asked if it was a Nursing Home and I was told No we are a hotel?????? I was then told that they were closing down next week due to the poor manager. When we were being shown to our room there were parking bays for wheelchairs and also we were told if there is a fire stay in your room and we will come and get you??? also if you pull the emergency cord we will come straight away???? What we didnt like is that we were not able to get back into the Hotel?????in the night we had to ring the front door bell to be let back in. The room was very obviously styled for people with care needs.
We both deicded it wasnt for us and choose to ask for our money back and leave. When I asked one of the carers if we could leave she said I dont know where you money is (they only accept cash) so I will go and get her and by the way expect some grief from her but dont say I told you???? It truely was a very scary and strange 10 mins which I would not like to repeat again in a hurry. Certainly not worth £70 a night. Hate giving bad reviews but I have to be honest. We drove into the centre of Porthcael and found the amazing Villa Guest House which I would highly recommend.
We were lef

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Monmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My booking for this hotel was for my elderly parents (in their 80's but very able) the break to Porthcawl was to help with refurbishment to their home being carried out and we believed a week at The Rest would be suitable, however, we were sadly proven wrong in our assumpton, travelling from Chepstow to find that the bedroom was of a very poor standard, ensuite with a bath only, not shower as we had requested before booking - how anyone working there could think that it was acceptable, I don't know!!! - There was no offer of an alternative room and they were quite happy to refund our money, given in cash (cash or cheque - no facility for a card payment) and we duly returned home - my parents were very upset and are now staying with me until the renovations are finish at their home - not sure why others have been able to give good reviews???

Room Tip: not sure as we weren't offered an alternative - sorry I haven't got a good word to say about...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Barry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The staff are great, the bedrooms are great, the bathrooms are great, the views are great, the walks are great, the town is a little shabby chic but the shops are good, the food is good even if the dining room is a little sparse, the whole place is interesting but don't expect modern comfort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport -Trefdraeth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had good reports on the hotel and booked a few months ago understanding it was good for carers and their patients unfortunately I had to have a heart operation a week before we went so I enquired if there were facilities for some one to change my dressing but was told no i must make my own arrangements which I did,the room we had was balcony en-suite a pleasant enough room but smelled musty the balcony a very narrow one just enough space to walk on had we been able to access it the step down was at least 18 inches high and as we are infirm with walking sticks we did nt even attempt to get on to the balcony.The dining room reminded me of a school hall bare of any decoration metal; tables and chairs table clothes of an undetermin able material and crockery and cutlery we used at school the food too was akin to school canteen, the staff were lovely cant fault them at all and treated us kindley the men in suits left a lot to be desired not greeting us at all and the worse part no towels we were not told to bring our own towels so i had to ask could we please borrow some,the surroundings Porthcawl were beautiful but it is just home for senior citizens wanting a break. there were 40 students from Gloucester there whilst we we were there using it as a base for expeditions,We left after five days pleased to be going home I supposed the £618 we paid was fair but we would nt go there again

Room Tip: no advise only saw the room we were given
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Maesteg, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We only spent 1 hour at this hotel for a cuppa after a walk but we were very pleasantly surprised by what we found and learnt about it. We live almost on the door-step and always thought (quite wrongly) that it was a rest home. due to it's name. How wrong can one be? It is a brilliant place, especially for the elderly and disabled as well as any one else. All the ground floor is free from steps and has rails all round the walls.It is very spacious and uncramped. The views are fantastic and the whole place has a feeling of homeliness and comfort.There is a boardwalk not far away, that is also disabled and wheelchair friendly, where you can walk for quite a way along the shore with rocks and a little bay every now and again on one side and a golf course on the other. Not a shop in sight! It is also a short bus or taxi ride into Porthcawl where you can shop.It is not what you would call a "posh" hotel but it is over 140 yrs old with loads of history attached to it. Clean and situated facing the sea. Their motto is:" Where you arrive as a guest and leave as a friend" We were only there for about an hour but we had learnt of the history of the place and were very impressed. Would recommend for a quiet and peaceful holiday with beautiful scenery. Even the rocks smile at you !!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Rest? Share your experiences!