“Visit Scotland” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Frankfurt, Germany
“Visit Scotland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Thanks for a fantastic stay,we loved the hotel and the location,quiet surroundings.
The food was wanderful as were the staff, always happy to help .First time in Scotland but we loved our stay at this hotel, we will recommend to friends and family

Room Tip: Take a room facing the loch

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Saline, Fife. Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

It was our 10th Wedding Anniversary, a very special day for us. We wanted somewhere suitably romantic, and to be spoilt. Instead, what we got was an over priced B&B with spectacular views attached to a seafood restaurant and bar.

On checking in we were shown to our room. The room itself was small, but clean, bright and airy. Fresh fruit and an orchid were lovely touches. The bed, oh the bed! I have never slept in a more comfortable, more sumptious bed. The mattress just enveloped you, but at the same time firm enough to support. Truly wonderful.

The bathroom looked well appointed and was clean. The bath had a shower over it. However, the shower hose was not long enough to go any higher than my chest. I'm not particularly tall at 6'. There was not a dedicated mixer tap for the shower, consequently tying to fiddle to get the correct temperature was irritating. Why anyone would go to the trouble of fitting out a bathroom without putting in a proper shower is a mystery. There was a note on the door to remind guests to keep it closed when showering to prevent the smoke detector going off. I can see why....the extract fan did not work. The drain plug in the basin would not open enough to let water out unless you held your hand on it.

We had booked dinner for 20:00. I went downstairs to see if we could eat any earlier. I was able to change it to 19:30, but the young lady's manner left me feeling I had messed up her planning for the evening.

We came back down for a drink at 19:00. When ordering drinks I asked for some menus. The lady brought them out to us and said she would be back to take our order. I went back inside at 19:15, she told me she would be right out. At 19:25 we gave up waiting and went in ourselves. We were met in the doorway and shown to our table and our order then taken. at 19:50 our first course arrived; scallops for me, rockerfeller oysters for my wife. She was unable to eat hers because they were too salty, so we swapped. They were very, very salty. We were at this stage so hungry that I eat them. When our plates were cleared, we mentioned this to our waiter, who, rather than taking an interest, immediately spoke over us and pointed out that oysters are seafood therefore they will be salty!!!?? My lobster for main course was slightly overcooked and rubbery, and my wife's chips were not fresh cut but frozen. Overall, the food was good, but no better than we have had in any other seafood restaurant. The service was poor. Disinterested waiting staff who were not at all engaging. Very, very disappointing.

Breakfast the following morning was in the same dining room as the night before. A beautifully bright space, with fantastic views over the water to the Isle of Lismore. My cooked breakfast was unfortunately overcooked and dried out, probably from sitting on the pass on a very, very hot plate. So hot in fact, the black pudding was sizzling on the plate when it arrived.

This stay was the culmination of a three night trail through Argyll, and from what I had read on your website, we kept it until last for our anniversary dinner. We were so looking forward to it. Instead it turned out out to be the one we enjoyed least, and was certainly the most expensive. We will not be back, and could not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SwissFamilyRobinson1, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your review although I am extremely sorry you were disappointed by your experience. We will look at improving all aspects of your stay which you were not happy about and I can only but apologise that you left here not having enjoyed your time with us which is most unusual. On a positive note I am very pleased you found the bed 'truly wonderful' so hopefully you did at least have a good night's sleep. My sincere apologies, Nicholas Horne
Lightwater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights here in August. It is without doubt one of my favourite places. I have visited this area frequently as a child and was a little hesitant about going back. I need not have been having found this hotel with its superb location and great food it was like home from home. I would strongly recommend hiring the hotel bikes as this is a great way to get around. I can only say. I will be back.

Room Tip: If available go for loch view rooms. However we had a rear view and would take it again.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review and we are delighted that you had such a good time and that your stay lived up to expectations. We will look forward to your next visit in hopefully not too long! Kind regards Nick
Lechlade, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had high expectations of this hotel,the last stop on a 5 day trip in the Scottish Highlands.However we all agreed that it was the hotel we least enjoyed although the most expensive and the one we most looked forward to because of the lovely website.I shall try to fairly summarise the positives and negatives:
Positives: Stunning location right on water's edge with beautiful views/good quality food at dinner and breakfast( although portion size could have been slightly larger and puddings more interesting if I was being picky!)/high quality bed linen and comfortable bed
Negatives:Very small "family room",ok for a couple only/no bath in room which is unacceptable for a family room especially as we look forward to a long soak after a long day travelling/everywhere was extremely cold,especially the restaurant which was verging on the unbearably cold!/ the tiny "waiting area" outside the restaurant was not somewhere to linger,either before or after dinner,again no cosiness about it and we weren't even offered a coffee or drink when we sat there,we were ignored by the waiting staff who just did not seem to understand the importance of engaging with guests.
Having thought long and hard about what it was we disliked about this hotel we feel it comes down to it's lack of warmth (and not just the physical warmth),it has no soul.My daughter and I struggled in strong winds to get through the door with 2 large suitcases whilst a young lady at the bar stood and watched us.I suppose this set the scene for the next 24 hours.We never actually had a single conversation with anyone working at the hotel,despite us being gregarious people.We had stayed at 3 wonderful hotels with engaging staff and some great memories throughout our stay in Scotland but The Pierhouse didn't seem interested in us,it was anonymous and I'm sorry to say slightly smug.Not really a family hotel,the restaurant was full of "romantic" couples clearly there for special celebratory occasions and we actually whispered throughout dinner,such was the muted atmosphere.
Given it's location and uniqueness this could be a truly special hotel if they could just focus more energy on their guests and actually look like they are enjoying themselves.

Room Tip: The back rooms have a depressing view but the rooms with a view come with a substantial premium
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review although I am extremely disappointed your stay did not meet expectations. I note you mention some positives and I am at least pleased you recognise the food as being very good quality. We will look very carefully at the negative points and endeavour to do whatever we can to improve in those areas where you feel we have fallen short. I struggle to recognise that our staff have not engaged with you however if this is the impression you have gained then we must try harder and I apologise for your disappointment. Your sincerely Nicholas Horne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Nick and Nikki have a great thing going at The Pierhouse. The view of Lismore Island, the smell of fresh sea air, and the nautical motif are fantastic. The seaside bar located between the hotel rooms wing and the restaurant is just the place to relax in the afternoon watching the water scenery only dozens of feet away on tidal Loch Linnhe. The staff is wonderfully attentive, and bartender Geoff is grizzled pleasure to talk with. The food is truly great, served in a semi-circular glass enclosed room which faces the Loch and the sunset behind Lismore. Our hotel room was newly remodeled and the bathroom especially was a 21st Century model of technology. Fair warning: the final few miles in off the main road are along a road which barely allows a single car to get through let alone the two way traffic allowed. Be prepared for the many "let pass" areas which challenge even the best drivers in even the smallest of cars. But it is worth the driving adventure.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are really pleased you had such a good time and liked our hotel. The road here is a challenge but hopefully we will see you again in the not too distant future! Kind regards Nick
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Nice little hotel in a superb location... .. Nice food, comfortable rooms and easy atmosphere... nothing to grumble about really... you could pick a few holes here and there, but really not necessary as everything is there that needs to be for a pleasant dinner and stay....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your nice review and we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. I do hope we might see you here again sometime! Kind regards Nick
Dumfries
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Had a fantastic 4 night break at the Pierhouse. Comfortable room with beautiful views, food was out of this world and the staff were very welcoming and helpful. We hired bikes from the hotel and took advantage of the reliable and frequent ferry crossing to Lismore to spend a day cycling on the island. There were also opportunities for walking and horse riding. Would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: Worthwhile spending extra to get a room with a view over the loch
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SwissFamilyRobinson1, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thanks you very much for your lovely review and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your time on Lismore. We are extremely fortunate to have such a wonderful location and I do hope we might see you again some day. Thanks for offering to recommend us. Kind regards Nick

Been to The Pierhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!