This was a return visit end July 2012, when we spent 6 nights. We had been here at same time of year in 2009. Hotel is in a lovely setting, built up the side of a pretty wooded bay. The report I wrote 3 years ago still largely correct.
1. Lovely setting, though secluded. But no easy and cheap access to other parts of the island. Local minivan bus requires a walk of 2 kms from hotel. Taxis are expensive
2. Friendly staff. A couple remembered us from previous stay
3. Spacious bedroom, even at the basic tariff, with walkin shower (though no grab rail), good quality fittings, and comfortable beds. Airconditioned though no instructions provided on how to use it
4. Large open air pool 30m long open 24/24 with comfortable practical loungers
5. Simple breakfast selection but standard was ok
6. Free wifi throughout on two networks. I found The Marina one slightly more reliable though both dropped connection regularly
7. Bar restaurant had energetic genial barman Winifred. Food was ok if not gourmet
8. Easy walking distance along marina to tiny shopping mall with supermarket, launderette and internet café. Local cake shop got strong wifi signal too!
9. Cheap ferry across narrow bay entrance to Dolittles restaurant, or Rainforest (sadly, closed until Nov 2012) or, separately to JDs. Hotel offers free tickets across to Doolittles area. Otherwise EC$5.
1. There are no lifts. Steep climbs up wooden stairs to upper rooms. We had 305 at ground level which was ideal for retired travellers like us!
2. Cheapest room off season was USD 240 inc tax and service and breakfast
3. Beach across narrow bay at Doolittles was scruffy and poorly maintained.
4. Very limited selection of eating places. Of those open, JDs was best.
Overall, this is a quality hotel aimed at upmarket audience of couples. Think carefully about your needs. If you are looking for young nightlife, beach holiday or children playing, this is not for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Capella Marigot Bay will reopen after renovations on July 1, 2014. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Splendia, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Jetsetter, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Capella Marigot Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery At Marigot Bay Hotel Marigot Bay
- Discovery Hotel Marigot Bay
- Discovery Marigot Bay