“amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Jose Ramon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Clara
Hostal Jose Ramon
Maximo Gomez 208 | /Berenguer y Yanes, Santa Clara, Cuba   |
Ranked #16 of 30 Santa Clara B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Last May i stayed at this Hostal, I liked it a lot. Its location is perfect close to the historical and tourist attractions of the city. Their breakfasts are fabulous. Great hygiene. Has an independent entrance and a terrace, allowing you to have a beautiful view of the city. The owner offers you a warm welcome and an exquisite service. I recommend the place and catalog of excellent. Thank you Jose Ramon for everything..

Room Tip: Excellent place to go..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Jose Ramon was showing off that he is in 7 of 13 international Cuba travel guides. And rated excellent at TRIPADVISOR. To be honest I cannot see way. Maybe the casa was supergood in the past and now he is relaying on the guest reading the recommendations in the guide books (like we did). It is not the cleanest bathroom and not stylish furnitured like described in Stefan Loose (a German guide book). At least we do not like plastic flowers in and at every corner / wall.
The coffee was the worst we had in Cuba. The kitchen, the main reason, we chose this casa, was not working. The rest (close to the city center and quiet) was okay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Jose will do his utmost to make you feel at home in Santa Clara, and is always ready to answer questions, recommend places to see, restaurants to visit and help organise further travel arrangements for your trip in Cuba. In other words: the perfect host. Traveling as vegetarians, it was sometimes hard to find good food in Cuba, but at Jose's we also got one of the best meals of the trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I made a reservation at this hostel two weeks before my arrival date for a 10 day stay and spoke to Jose (--) personally and told him what I was looking for. I wanted an apartment with a working kitchen. He told me that was no problem, the kitchen was equipped for this. The afternoon before I was supposed to arrive I received a call and he told me he did not want anyone staying at the hostel using the kitchen facilities. He was afraid of fires and he made more money by providing meals. He was cancelling my reservation. That would be fine if he had told me this before I made plans to stay here. Because it was so late I could not find any other accommodations in Santa Clara because it was high season so I had to change my plans and book something in Varadero. This totally ruined my vacation. I have stayed in several apartments over the years in Santa Clara without incident so to say I was shocked and saddened by this news was putting it mildly. This type of behaviour is rare but beware. I am writing this so that other people who want to stay here do not have the same bad experience and have a ruined vacation like I did.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
josetur, Propietario at Hostal Jose Ramon, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I do not know you .I do not written with you. We will never have offered you the kitchen and the apartment. Our hostal is open to the world and we always have good communication with our clients and we never deceive and lied the tourists will be our main premise.
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here on a recommendation from our tour guide in Havana for 2 nights. It was fantastic. Jose Ramon and his family were extremely welcoming and friendly. You get the whole first floor to yourself and a terrace with some nice chairs to relax in after a days sightseeing. I cannot recommend enough eating here. It was the best food we had in Cuba hands down. Jose Ramons mother does all the cooking and she is a fantastic cook. I wish I could have brought her home with me we had the pork 1 night and chicken the other absolutely delicious. Nothing was too much trouble for Jose our bus was at 7am so he arrived at 6.20am to give us breakfast and make sure the taxi arrived for us. He organised the taxi driver on our second day to bring us to all the sights in Santa Clara for a half day. It is well worth doing it and really cheap. Overall I would come back here in the morning if I could and stay a bit longer with the ever smiling Jose Ramon and his lovely family

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberaltertheim, Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Hostal Jose Ramon was a recomment of my casa particulare - family in Playa Rancho Luna and I'm very thankfull for this insider-tip! The house is nice, the appartment big (good for families, couples or a group of friends... the whole first floor is available for onesselves) and clean and the terrace is amaizing with it's great view over the roofs of St. Clara! The welcome of the family was very friendly and everybody was very helpful and nice! Unfortunatelly I didn't have a long time in St. Clara and José Ramon's Hostel... I think I could have spend more days there!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Richmond, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My friend and I were on our way back to Havana from Santiago and decided to spend some time in Santa Clara to break up the bus ride, and I am so glad we did! Jose Ramon met us at the bus station, even though it was the middle of the night and arranged for transportation for us back to the hostal. When we got there it was beautiful, very spacious, fresh, with a balcony, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. He brought an amazing breakfast in the morning. Besides being very welcoming and friendly, everything was also very clean and professional. If you get a chance sit down and have a conversation with them do it! That was one of the highlights of our stay. They are also very knowledgeable about the city and working with travelers, Jose Ramon even arranged a low cost taxi to take us from Santa Clara to Havana, who was also a very friendly, professional fellow. I wish we could have stayed more than one short night, there was more to see in Santa Clara and this hostal was a breath of fresh air on our travels. I highly recommend staying at Hostal Jose Ramon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostal Jose Ramon? Share your experiences!