TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Review of Tinapa Lakeside Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tinapa Lakeside Hotel to your Saves list
Tinapa Lakeside Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tinapa Business Free Zone | Adiabo, Calabar, Nigeria (Formerly Amber Tinapa)   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Calabar
Lagos, Nigeria
“That I decided to give it a go...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I've heard so much about this hotel that I decided to give it a go. The hotel location for me was quite good: quiet, country-like surroundings. The view from the hotel rear is great, overlooking the lake and the Calabar river in the yonder. Adequate parking.The room was clean, bathrooms neat and tidy. Towels were fresh. Air conditioning was good but noisy. Had to knock it off to have a noise-free sleep. The meals were quite tasty, but as it is common around here, it takes about 15-30 mins for some meals to get ready. The staff were quite friendly and helpful too. No gym as at when I visited (June) but was assured it was going to be available as soon as upgrades are completed. Only negative I experenced here was the smart-card door lock: the insert-and-remove process was quite tedious that, after several failed attempts, I was denied entry into my room. Could be better if it were a simple insert-and-remove.
I should also include that the hotel apparently was part of a large scale business tourism project in Cross River State of Nigeria that is not thriving as it was originally intended. Massive structures like the Shopping mall are scantily operative. Though the Ebonylife Studios on DSTVs channel165 is utilizing the Studio facilities, it could have been a lot better if other big businesses were actively involved. I would rate this hotel as being one of the best in this city primarily because of its location. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

If this hotel had a pool then i might have been able to forget about the bad service but as I was staying there for quite a few weeks it was hard to not get frustrated at how slow and unresponsive the staff were. Ordering any food whether to the bar or to the room was a betting game. Whether it took an hour or two or showed up at all. Getting change was just as hard. Internet was pretty bad but you get used to that as you do with the power cuts. The resort has potential but unfortunately feels like a ghost town, especially the shopping mall. The only reason it gets an Average score is because i've stayed in a lot worse, most of which in Nigeria

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I was invited as a guest speaker at a Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission retreat which took place at the Tinapa Lakeside Hotel Calabar from the 20th to the 23rd of May 2014. I stayed for two nights Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th before moving to the Transcorp hotel to spend a night. Staying at the hotel was a wonderful experience. This hotel compares to any three star international brand I have stayed in. service is courteous and fast. The food in the restaurant is not bad at all. Try the meat pie or the fish pie which you can get at the Lobby bar, nice pastry I must say. My room 242 is spacious, clean and modern. The environment is beautiful with a colourful garden. You can also take a boat ride on the lake. The downside is the internet connection was not reliable at all. And MTN network hardly works here but my colleague told me that the Etisalat network worked well, this is just in case you want to have your own access to the internet. Also a bit too expensive for a hotel in its class, but it ranks well if you consider that hotels in Nigeria are overpriced. This definitely is a place to hide from the city stress in Nigeria. I recommend it in case you are in this part of the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake to enjoy the spectacular view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Tinapa lakeside was an awesome experience. From its constant power supply to its unique greenery. The welcoming warmth of the rooms were outstanding. If like me you prefer nature then Tinapa lakeside is the hotel to visit, The lobby is lush and beautiful, unlike most hotels were you have to scream to get service Tinapa lakeside is a perfect example of perfection, discipline and great customer service of international standards. The food is exceptionally great ,tasty and delicious. The room service is tremendous unlike most hotels that I have visited, if you are looking for comfort, style ,uniqueness and an unforgettablle experience with your family ,I strongly advise you visit Tinapa lakeside , it's certainly worth visiting, You will love this awesome hotel than the Obudu ranch.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect with wonderful views,
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hotel is modern and looks nice, the bed was comfy and the room had a nice bathroom. Compared to other hotels I visited this was great and I stayed in some terrible hotels while working in Calabar for six weeks.

I felt very let down by the service. Food orders would take more than an hour to arrive when we were the only people at the bar. Drinks would also take an age to arrive and staff were rude on occasion. Sadly I had an expensive waterproof coat stolen from the top of my suitcase whilst I tried to find a porter; staff refused to write a letter for my insurance company. I spoke to the manager and said it would look bad on the hotel if he wrote a letter, this meant I could not claim on my insurance. He directed me to the police station who promptly asked for a bribe.

It's a beautiful place but it's unsafe and this is the best of the worst. Whilst in Calabar there were murders, shootings, car crashes, theft, bribery and a petrol tanker exploded. Never again for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Michael Monday I, General Manager at Tinapa Lakeside Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing Tinapa Lakeside Hotel, Calabar among the hotels you stayed while in Calabar. We considered it a rare privilege hosting you.
Again, accept our sincere apology for the loss of your jacket during your stay in calabar. However, your inability to recall where and when you lost the jacket was the overriding reason why the letter you needed could not be given. It was difficult for us to accept any responsibility since there was no empirical evidence linking our organization with the reported loss. You may recall the difficulty you faced attempting to recall which of the hotels you stayed when this unfortunate loss occurred.
We have got a robust process that tracks guest items during their stay in our organization. We have also got a sophisticated "lost but found policy" where items forgotten by guests are quickly sent to them and this has attracted unprecedented eulogies to the hotel.
I wish to also place on record that cross river state is unarguably the safest state in Nigeria,so your experience might be isolated cases that do not represent what the state is known for.
We hold you in high esteem and acknowledge you as a stakeholder in our organization. we represent the difference you desire. Sir,give us another opportunity to host you and you will be "wowed". As a listening organization, we have also reviewed our processes to ameliorate other concerns raised outside the loss.
Thank you so much sir for this feed back and compliments.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The most impressive part of Tinapa Hotel is its natural sorrunding and lush greenery. The complimentary glass of juice was a very soothing welcome. The lobby is quite expansive, but dull, should be brightened. The numbering of the lift can be confusing at times. The basement is #1, the reception lobby is #2, first floor is #3 etc. The room was clean and bright but small...my room was ovelooking the lake , so I had an excellent view. Dinner at Amber restaurant was fantastic but I never got my change back after paying the bills...shame. So sad to say that the breakfast of the following morning was a complete turn off. There was one miserly hot water bucket, no sugar - I motioned on one of the girls to give me sugar and she ran back and forth for more than 5 minutes before bringing sugar in an indecent container. The bread was of very low quality and completely tasteless. All said, Tinapa has the potentials, but someone has to pay attention. some touches here and there will make a great difference.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south row, ovelooking the lake are excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Abuja
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

1. The exterior direly needs painting. The hotel is situated in a beautiful location but it looks so shabby in those surroundings. How much could it cost to paint?
2. The rooms were quite small, particularly given the price per night. Many of the rooms had an odor of mildew to them. None of the rooms had refrigerators or tea kettles which is generally expected of a hotel charging this much for rooms. There was also no security latch on the doors. And why were the air conditioners so loud you couldn’t hear yourself think?
3. The cost of food was outrageous. Although the staff thought they were paying 2,500 naira for lunch, we were all charged 3,500 naira for a buffet lunch. Buffets are generally cheaper because items are not individually prepared. Why this unbelievable charge? The food in general was so overpriced that most of the team did not eat at your restaurant. In addition, one of your restaurant staff was rude to two of our staff and your staff clearly don’t know the price of items in the restaurant. After 10 minutes of discussion about my bill, I finally paid what I found to be a fair amount for my food and left with your restaurant staff still puzzling over three breakfast items.
4. Your internet was very poor. If you advertise yourselves as an international hotel, good internet is paramount.
5. Another NGO well known to MSH was also at your hotel. They were able to obtain larger rooms and food at a lower cost.
6. On a positive note, I found the bar and relaxation points to be quite nice. The bar staff was very accommodating. The outside grounds were spectacular although more seating could have been provided near the lake. Most of the hotel staff were very courteous and friendly.

My staff took a 14 hour bus ride to get to your hotel. I don’t believe we will do this again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Calabar hotels

Been to Tinapa Lakeside Hotel? Share your experiences!