“The food poisoning was better than the service” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“The food poisoning was better than the service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Our reserved waterfront table was given to a walk-in couple just ahead of us. Fortunately, it was only ten minutes before another opened. We waited without bread or water for another ten minutes before the 3rd server was sent to give us the specials. She misspoke when giving the specials, panicked, and ran off. We sat for another fifteen minutes wthout bread or water while a Greek family of 12 staying at the resort arrived in T-shirts and jeans, were seated, brought drinks, bread, and water, with food orders taken as well. I finally had to flag down the waitress to get service, and boy was she pissy. After finally getting the specials, my wife and I decided that instead of a bottleof wine and three to five course as we had planned, we would each just get a glass and one dish. Little did we know that we should have taken the hint and escaped when we could. I ordered a special of steamed mussels. They arrived piled high on a flat plate, with almost all of the mussles stone cold. I inquired if the chef intended for the dish to eaten cold, and the mussles grudgingly went back to the kitchen. They returned moments later slathered in some horrible alcohol-cream sauce normally used to abuse other innocent sea-food at this diner. Again, I should have sent the dish back and left right there. Unfortunately it was already past 9 p.m. after waiting so long, I had a glass of wine, and my wife wanted to eat her dish. SHOCKINGLY, the head waitress stood directly on top of me when she returned with the mussles, leaning in a mere inches from my face, stating that she was going to wait there until she was sure I was happy with the dish. Had the waiter been a man, I probably would have flattened his nose across his face. We finished our food and wine, and left without any desert. Sure enough, at 3 a.m., I awoke with stomach cramps and got to spend the rest of the morning in the bathroom getting rid of my dinner. We had so many wonderful meals the four nights we stayed in Anguilla, but Pimms was a terrible tragedy.

• Visited October 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent dinner experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

All of the upscale restaurants on the island are expensive for dinner and we were surprised that Pimms was no more than restaurants of far less quality. The service is second to none, and the food was fantastic. Couple this with a fantastic view and you have winning combination.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Holderness
“Overrated with indifferent wait staff and excessive prices.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

11/19/2010 Two meetings with concierge failed to produce seaside table for 5 for special birthday dinner or special desert request from pastry chef. Duck L'Orange arrived cold after long main service wait and poor bread/water service experience. General Manager/Restaurant finally offered chef's apology but made no offer of compensation for horrible service experience. Additionally dredge pumper was anchored 100 yards from restaurant pumping sand onto eroded beach until 9:30pm!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Don't expect a great experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

We got married on Anguilla 20 years ago and had our "reception" dinner at Pimm's.

We have gone back to Anguilla every 5 years since for our anniversary.

We looked into going back to Pimm's each time but weren't able able to because they weren't open etc. One year they said that weren't accepting customers not at the hotel and didn't care that it was our ten year anniversary.

This time, our concierge made a reservation and told them that it was our 20th anniversary.

When we got there, we were shown to a crappy table. I would have asked for a better table but they were all full. We noticed a couple from our hotel that had just arrived and had a front row table.

After being jostled by servers passing by several times, we asked to be moved and were given a table out of the way.

At this point, my mood was pretty negative so I can't say that I was objective but the menu had a real lack of appetizers. There were soups or salads but that was it. Nothing really stood out with the mains. We had thought of lobster but not at $49/lb.

We had the steakl special which was tasty but nothing special.

Really, compared to the other restaurants we visited, Da Vida, Mangos and Straw Hat, Pimm's came up severel;y lacking.

There were several moments of laughter, like when we got a $30 "carafe" of wine, or a $16 chocolate souflle.

We'll never go back to Pimm's.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Pimms: Good to drink in the Summer but not a restaurant I would choose to eat at again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

We did not stay at Cap Jaluca but chose Pimms for our last evening dinner as a special event for the four of us (family with 2 children)- we stayed at The Viceroy down the road. The service was good and if anything more polished than The Viceroy today as you would expect from such an established hotel. The food was at best average. We shared the Sushi and Ceviche appetisers and while the ceviche was ok the sushi/sashimi was very disappointing. We then had a selctions of entrees, unfortunately my daughter chose the sushi as an entree - mistake, My son's Short Rib seemed to be ok but my wife's Chicken was average and the rice overcooked. I had the Crayfish which were small and also overcooked whcih made them stick to the shells. We paid over $400 (included a >$100 bottle of wine which was very nice) for the meal and should have either stayed in the Viceroy or eaten elsewhere on the island. Such a shame as the location was lovely if a little dated (maybe unfair as we were at the Viceroy which is ultra modern) and the hotel has such a great reputation.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere