“Perfect: Serene, Clean, and Luxurious” 5 of 5 stars

You added West End Bay Holiday Apartments to your Saves list
West End Bay Holiday Apartments
West End Bay, West End Village, Anguilla   |
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect: Serene, Clean, and Luxurious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We loved West End Bay Apartments!

This was our first visit to Anguilla. We rented the third floor two bedroom suite facing the salt pond with a view of the sea and St. Maarten and St. Barts beyond from the balcony and from the one of the bedrooms. Views of the sea on other side from the kitchen sink and second bedroom.

Waking every morning to the sunrise was a treat. I enjoyed sitting on the enormous balcony, either at the glass top table or in their comfortable and very stylish loungers as Anguilla awoke, there are birds galore in the salt pond across the street and in the foliage around the apartment, the goats, cats and cow in the lots on either side of the apartment are a hoot and add to the cacophony. Fun as well to watch the young people gathering to catch the school bus each morning looking immaculate in their uniforms and watching the locals walking or driving to work.

The apartments are spotless and as described well appointed. The king size beds are the most comfortable we have ever slept in - really fantastic. We couldn't hear our neighbours. We had three flat screen televisions which we tuned to jazz or classical stations. The wifi is excellent and fast enough to stream music while my partner worked as needed. The bedrooms have bedside lamps for reading and black out blinds, curtains and windows that open out to catch the breeze. We did not need to use the AC. The washer and dryer are modern and wonderful to have.

WEBA is really exceptional value and we would stay here again. No one we met knew about this apartment hotel. I hope to help change this.

If you stay make sure you bring a few essentials from home like salt and pepper, spices, tin foil, hot sauce, olive oil, shrink wrap or baggies, misquito spray and avoid having to purchase them on the island.

Malita the housekeeper is a lovely woman, helpful, thoughtful and sweet as can be. She had cut flowers from the garden in a vase for us upon our arrival and a fresh batch later in the week. Carl is attentive, very interested in his guests and so relaxed. We had arranged for a car with the apartment rental, he would have arranged to pick us up at the ferry but we had rented a villa the previous week in the eastern most end. The vehicle was excellent, clean, newish, good cd player. We had no problem driving on the left - just kept saying to each other "left, left, left.

On check out day we were delighted to learn that Carl would allow us to to use the car after checking out and asked us to simply leave it at the ferry terminal for him to pick up later. Excellent as this meant we could visit our favorite beach and leave our bags in the trunk.

Carl is a font of information, his passion is fishing, diving and the sea. He will advise where and when to snorkel etc. His family also rents out bicycles, paddle boards and kayaks. I met his father in law Maclen who works at their east end market The Anchor Supermarket, our first day on the island. We both laughed when we realized we were staying our second week at the West End Bay Apartments which is run and owned by his daughter Meesha and Carl. He gave us his number and invited us to call should we have questions or need assistance. He offered to take us snorkeling one day. This I did do which was fantastic.

Maclene's passion is spear fishing (note only locals are permitted to spear fish) and he took me out off a beach near his market and out to a reef about one hundred yards off the shore. We saw loads of coral, schools of fish as well as a mantaray. I really enjoyed watching him fish, was somewhat scared as the sea was rough and my calve was cramping - he took care to ensure I felt safe. I really enjoyed watching him spear fish.

You are minutes away from what turned out to be our favorite places: Trattoria Tramonto, a charming Italian eatery, good for lunch, great wine and cocktail list, you may utilize their comfortable beach chairs/umbrella and spend the day on their fantastic beach. There is excellent beach combing here as well. Close as well is The Viceroy, Sunset lounge for an evening snack - this hotel is absolutely stunning, we were not impressed with the food but the cocktails were first rate.

We spent two days at Maundays Bay at Cap Juluca - gorgeous beach (brought our own beach chairs and cooler), I ate lunch at the Blue, not great but beautiful grounds, architecture, excellent friendly service, we did not eat at either Pimms or Spice their evening restaurants.

You are also very close to Rendezvous Bay our absolute favorite beach, we had the best snacks at The Place, coconut shrimp and jerk chicken quesidillas. It is to the left if you are facing the beach. On this beach as well is The Dune for live music in the evening as well as Cuisinart.

We visited Cuisineart our final day - had a very disappointing barbeque lunch, (upside was that this includes the use of their beach loungers and towels), however, the fresh squeezed orange juice was delicious as was the lemon juice. The grounds here are fantastic as is the architecture, the staff are first rate, happily singing when the mood moves them, friendly and professional. We will in future eat at their Mediterranean restaurant.

There is an excellent wine store about 12 minutes from the apartment which we utilized. Next to that is a fabulous bakery - eatery that has the best coffee, baked goods and delicious lunches, quiche, tuna tartar salads and wine by the glass - yummm!

I love to body surf and was able to do this at Meads Bay. We ate lunch at Blanchards and rented a beach chair. The tacos were excellent and good value, my partners tuna salad was apparently not very exciting.

Our biggest challenge was not succumbing to the urge to see everything and eat at all the recommended restaurants. We watched the sunset and ate at home most evenings. I also dined at Tasty's, had pumpkin soup and conch fritters which were both excellent. I was served by a lovely young woman who served me quickly as I was in a hurry.

I do regret not eating at one of the food trucks - Jazzy's in particular.

Again, stay here you will not be disappointed.

Thank you Carl, Malita and Meesha! We hope to stay with you again soon.
Warm regards, Kellie and Sara

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We decided to take our son, his wife and our grandchild this year based on our amazing experiences from past years. And West End Bay delivered. Adjoining apartments for easy access and Carl and the staff were most accomodating. This property is really a remarkable value. Luxury accomodations, comfortable and the amenities for a home away from home experience. I recommend to all my Carribeophiles.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I rented a one-bedroom unit at West End Bay Apartments for a week in mid-November. This was our second trip to Anguilla. Several years ago we spent 3 nights at LaVue, which was nice, affordable and well-located, but I wanted more space for a full week.

After arriving on the island, we took at taxi from the ferry dock at Blowing Point to the apartments ($22). We were greeted by Melita, the manager, who showed us around and gave us our keys. Carl, the owner, arrived later to greet us and to invite us to his birthday party that evening. He had invited everyone in the building! This is the friendliest island in the Caribbean. Where else would this happen?? It was so nice of him and it was a great way to feel part of the “neighborhood”. During the week we kept running into people who we had met at the party.

The apartment was very nice. We didn’t cook much because the restaurants on the island are so good, but we did appreciate having a coffee pot (filters were in the cabinet, bring your own coffee) , full size fridge/freezer, full size oven and gas stove. The people on the first floor used a charcoal grill in the courtyard area, but we didn’t go to the trouble. There was a blender, toaster, built-in microwave. Everything was clean and in working order.

We did use the full size HE washer and dryer a couple of times to wash the beach towels that were provided with the unit. I brought some Tide pods but there was detergent there. There was also a laundry sink, which was nice so we could wash out our swimwear before packing it for the trip home.

Bathroom was great, with tiled shower stall with glass doors. Nice bath products, conditioner, bath gel, lotion. Fresh towels were provided about every other day.

We had the unit on the top floor, which had nice views in both directions. From the front balcony, you could look past the salt pond out to the ocean and St. Maarten. From the kitchen window, you could see the waves crashing onto the rocks at a small cove. We walked down the dirt path beside the West End Bay apartments to check it out and it was larger than I expected, but not a place you would spend a day.

I highly recommend West End Bay apartments. Send the owner an email and ask about renting a car through him. It was very convenient and the quality of the car was better than what we had on our first time on the island. You will need a car, as this is on the far western end of the island. You can walk to Shoal Bay West and Trattoria, but everything else is at least a 5 min drive (grocery store, Picante) or further (25 min to Gwen's on Shoal Bay East).

Room Tip: Third floor of the one bedroom building has great views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was in Anguilla for a wedding and West End Bay holiday apartments was one of the places recommended for guest of the wedding. It was so easy to make and pay for my reservations. I emailed Carl(the owner) and he emailed me the forms which I emailed back to him. Carl emailed me when it was close to my arrival date to let me know he would be off the island but his assistant Malita could be there to greet me when I arrive. Malita became a friend and a great resource. She keeps the apartments spot less. I plan to return to Anguilla and West End Bay will be my lodging of choice. There is a kitchen in the apartment which is fully stocked with utensils, small and large appliances, there is a Supermarket within close proximity to stock up on food items.

YOU WILL NEED TO RENT A CAR. They drive on the left side but is was not difficult for us coming from the U.S. to drive in Anguilla; the Island is small and since it was the off season the roads were not crowded, so driving there was easy.
Secondly, during Anguilla's off season, which is approximately August to November, some restaurants close because there are less tourist during that time. However, I think it's the best time to visit, there are enough open restaurants and clubs for you to have a great time, just make sure you have your rental car to get around.
The units also has full sized washer and dryer, with a utility tub. There is also an elevator so you do not have to struggle with your luggage up the stairs. Need I say more, this is the place to stay....home away from home. Thank you Carl and Malita for taking such good care of me.

Room Tip: Better view on top floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Anguilla is so beautiful! We just returned from a 6-day vacation. Our stay at West End Bay Hopiday Apartments was terrific. The accomidations were just as described: clean, well appointed and maintained. Carl, the owner, was extremely helpful and responsive in every regard, both during our stay and via email as we made our plans prior to arrival. He had great suggestions for meals and entertainment, beaches to visit, etc, and arranged for a rental car to be brought to the site for our arrival. There were chairs, umbrellas, snorkeling equipment, beach towels and noodles for us to use the entire stay. The kitchen was fully equiped and the in-uint washer and dryer were greatly appreciated, given that we had been on vacation in St. Martin the prior week and arrived with suitcases full of laundry. The A/C worked very well. The king bed was so comfortable. There was maid service every weekday (not on Sat/Sun). The one bedroom unit we stayed in was spacious and the two bedroon units we toured looked just as spacious. See if you can arrange to stay on the top floor (there is an elevator) for the view. You can see the ocean from the kitchen windows in one direction and from the living room/balcony in the other direction. The prices in this "off-season" were very reasonable. We are definitely returning!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We returned from Anguilla two days ago and I miss it already. I found West End Bay while searching for accommodations online, and I couldn't be happier with our decision to stay. From our first email correspondence, Carl, (the owner) was more than helpful; providing details about the area, lining up our ferry/taxi, onsite car rental, etc. He is welcoming and generous, and went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. The units are very well appointed, providing everything from beach chairs & umbrellas to pots, pans and a blender. They are modern, spacious, and well laid out. Malita did a fantastic job making everything sparkle, and really made us feel like family. We will definitely go back to Anguilla, and when we do, we will stay at West End Bay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Yes you CAN afford to stay in Anguilla if you come to these properties, the best value on the island that we have found.. Carl the owner is relaxed, kind and helpful and Malita who works incredibly hard to keep the place clean, is a gem and mine of information.
This is excellent value, very clean, well appointed, each flat is beautifully equipped and comfortable, the bedroom is spacious and comfortable, the equipment is modern and works to high USA standards.
If you don't want to hire a car, it is easy to walk to several quality restaurants and also to wonderfully deserted beaches of white powdered sand and crystal turquoise waters. A supermarket is pretty close and the roads are quiet enough to walk on. This is a restful part of the island, well away from the Valley in the centre.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, which is the quietest. There are 2 small buildilngs. Ask to be in the one nea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to West End Bay Holiday Apartments? Share your experiences!