“Carimar is relaxing and peaceful” 5 of 5 stars

Carimar Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Meads Bay, West End Village AI2640, Anguilla   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Carimar is relaxing and peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

The Carimar is an absolutely wonderful hotel. It is located in beautiful Meads Bay. I can't say much more than what has been said before - but I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know. But, if you are looking for a 5 star resort with all the amentities - this is not the place for you. The rooms are quite comfortable, kitchen is a little out of date, but serves the purpose. If you are looking for quiet, laid back, great place on the beach - then this is the place for you. We had no problems with the air conditioning in the bedroom or the water (pressure or temperature). At times, even though the hotel was sold out for the week, my husband and I would be the only people on the beach or in the water. The staff are wonderful people and very courteous. One piece of advice - spring for the oceanfront room. It was so wonderful to be able to walk out your back patio and be on this gorgeous beach!!! If you are looking for a value for the money on the island - this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
phila area, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

first things first! flew into st marteen then took link ferry over to anguilla....all went smoothly! easy! CARIMAR! first impression.....felt like home! so comfortable! people at reception....great! room.....huge! 2 bedrooms....2 bath....full kitchen....dining area...living room....patio on first floor.....place was spotless! good air in bedroom only! rest of unit had 3 ceiling fans and jalousie type windows with slatted blinds....very cool! we were never hot! housekeeping.....wonderful! the gardens.....gorgeous! palm trees and flowers everywhere! very well kept up! the beach....oh the beach! heaven! ya don't need water/reef shoes...100% sandy bottom! water was warm and crystal clear! no currents to worry about! snorkeling to right of hotel at cliffs....small caves. great picture taking op here! plenty of beach loungers and cream colored market umbrellas for everyone! plenty of beach towels in your room! we hit a cool spell of weather and some rain but not much.....very unusual the locals and repeat clientel tell us. the days were warm but the evenings cooled down a bit...which was actually nice! security not a problem! there's a room safe...not that you have to use it. we went out every day and or evening for either lunch or dinner if we weren't "home" to cook! we left our screen door open! the crowd there is mostly repeat visitors.....6 years to 15 years coming there to carimar! the age of the crowd? most are in their 50's and 60's but there were some honeymooners there in their 30's and older! it's not for kids. carimar's a place to just relax! there is no restaurant.....nor a pool! something i thought i had to have! nope! exiting the beach to go up to your unit....there are two freshwater showers! there are also bowls of fresh water on your patio to rinse your feet off before you step into your abode! you get fresh cut flowers in your room and bath every day! depending on what housekeeping uses to clean...your unit smells either like fresh linens or lavender! oh...there are chickens and a rooster (residents) that roam freely about the property....a nice touch! they love bread and crow when they get it! restaurants.....DON'T GO NEXT DOOR! malliouhanna's le bistro for lunch...2 iced tea and 2 burgers....$60. do rent a car! ronnie bryan's will drop off at ferry for you. island car rental is popular with newer cars and will come and drop off at carimar. you can't get lost on island....one big loopy road! island's 16 by 3 miles! plenty of great little places to grab a bite! strawhat....gwen's....tasty's....were great spots to try! WARNING! nothing is cheap! nothing is reasonable! it's all expensive! but some places taste better and have better presentations than others! we didn't do any over the top places like blanchards or veya or cuisinart. those would easily been over $100....that's only for iced tea and entree only. the places i mentioned were $60 to $80 for same. food is good everywhere. strawhat on other side of carimar gives you the most and your're not hungry when you leave. something carimar did for us while we were there.....loaned us a market umbrella for other beaches we drove around to! we used it for a week....kept it in the car! take a collapsible cooler for the beach....even at carimar so you're not running back to your room! food stores are good to ok nearby. we did ashley's in the valley....ok but limited. then we did a food shopping at lake's in the valley also.....better. currency is...$1 u.s. dollar to $2.68 eastern caribbean dollar. so roughly....a half gallon of o.j. will say $9.75 in their money but when converted at register will be $3.50 (you get the idea). you must ask them for a receipt with the u.s. dollar conversion to keep better track of your expenditures...they're really good about being friendly about it. it's no trouble.
the people....very kind....very helpful! if you get lost (hard to do) the locals will do everything but get in your car and take you to where you're trying to get. we absolutely loved ambrose at smitty's in island harbour. smitty's is a little shack across from a gas station where ambrose is. smitty sells huge island lobsters...frozen. $60 for 2 giant ones plus 4 huge crayfish about 7 inches long each. the lobsters are about 3 pounds each. makes 2 dinners back at your unit at carimar. one lobster tail feeds 2. thaw in water 2 hrs then boil for 18 minutes....done! the best! don't buy lobster out!
mr wil and mr vernon are the gardners at carimar! felicia....hilda in housekeeping were terrific! the lovely cindy from reception was quite funny and a delight to be around!
any questions please write me! i had "trippers" from trip advisor like jennifer and amanda advising me too! thanks girls! and thank you carimar for a truly joyful stay! if you were selling units.....we could have bought on the spot! we were impressed and better yet....it really did feel like home. we hated to leave. i will post pix in a day or two.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I just got back from my first trip to Anguilla and stayed at the Carimar. The Carimar was the first portion of our trip and it was lovely. I found the staff very friendly and courteous and the grounds were beautiful. It is a very peaceful quiet location, so if you are looking for a lot of livlihood-this in not the place. However, many people seemed to be there in groups having cheese and wine on the beach or on their balconies. The hotel is NOT in the Valley as I've often seen posted, It is on Meads Bay and the beach is great. We found it to be a bit calmer water than Shoal Bay and the sand was soft as clouds. There is no restaurant and no pool, but the hotel is directly on the beach. And, as others have wrote in that there in no tv---there is. Which was a great plus to catch up on news or what have you. It got all the channels you could want. The rooms were spacious and clean. Beds comfortable. Full kitchen ammentities and they even supplied us with a few bags of coffee and water to start. There are a few very good restaurants to walk to; such as Blanchards, Straw Hat, and Moullihana. Other than that-their is not much to walk to and basically no beach bars. However, if you are renting a car (which I recommend while at the Carimar) you can drive to some great lunch spots nearby. We went to Smokeys and the Dune-which were great. They are very close, by car, 5 minutes.
Overall we loved this hotel for its peacefulness and the beach. The flowers are beautiful and the birds chiriping, and of course, you can hear the sound of the ocean. For us, it worked out great to stay here for a few days and then move on to another part of the island. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay again, however, unless you are with a group or really just want peace and quiet--I would split it up and go to another resort for another week or part of your trip. The hotel was perfect in my book, but I wouldn't stay more than a week because it is a bit too quiet. Others may prefer this over something else, which is why I'm trying to give my point of view. It is a great location to hit all the spots around the area by car, and I think there is more of this in the Carimar area than in some other areas on the island. So that is another plus.
No problems with anything. There is no store nearby to get groceries, without a car, however the hotel offers water at the front desk and menus galore to area restaurants. I brought coffee and coffee filters with me and some breakfast items to start, since we arrived in the early evening. We walked down the beach to straw hat and wallked back. It truly is a a gem and worth staying at to relax.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed on the beach and had a wonderful week. The place does not have a restaurant but their are a couple within walking distance.The staff could not be more helpful which is one of the reasons most of the guest were long time repeats. All units have a small kitchen and the bedroom was air conditioned.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Carimar is on the lovely Meads Bay which after exploring the island we found to be the best.

The hotel itself is nothing special in terms of decor, basic carribean style furniture, and fixtures and fittings and bathrooms slightly worn out, however what it lacks in 'cool' factor it makes up with its spacious apartments and fantastic team of staff and service.

You leave Carimar unable to fault it really other than maybe updating their bathrooms. Otherwise very comfortable stay indeed.

only other drawback is shortage of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

When I was booking my husband's and my honeymoon, I "discovered" Anguilla via American Express' excellent travel service. But, I first booked a special package where we would have stayed at Arawak Inn. But, after reading several negative reviews about Arawak, and after realizing how much extra it would cost to have a room with A/C (only available in more expensive rooms, i.e., an extra cost of $32/night x 10 nights), I started looking elsewhere. That's when I found Carimar Beach Club, which ended up being even cheaper than Arawak Inn.

Oh wow!!! We were sooo pleasantly surprised. Even the cab driver, who drove us from the airport, told us that we would be very happy at Carimar, and he also told us that were lucky to have switched from Arawak to Carimar.

Already the first morning, my husband went out first on the balcony, and he let out a yell of "WOW!!!!" He has been on several other Caribbean islands and resort, but had never before experienced something like Mead's Bay.

And, the staff at Carimar is outstanding! So incredibly friendly, personal, and helpful that we could hardly believe it. And, Carimar's hotel "apartments" are so very clean, airy, neat, and with a fully equipped kitchen. And, upon arrival, they welcomed us in our room with Rum and Coke, and tray of crackers, cheeses, and fresh grapes. And, the staff keeps it so clean and nice, and even do the dishes for you, which is great considering teh fully equipped kitchen, incl. full fridge and freezer.

The garden is lush and very well maintained, and the balconies of each hotel apartment are surrounded by gorgeous bouganvilleas. And, the beach....THE BEACH!!!! Oh, what a glorious beach! The sand is so white and the water so clear that coupled with the sun I actually burned my retinas the first day, even with quality sunglasses on.

And, the price is so very reasonable compared to most other hotels/beach clubs at Anguilla. I hence cannot say enough good things about Carimar.

As an aside, unfortunately Blanchards had just closed for the season so we missed that. But, we had dinner at Pims at Cap Juluca which was FANTASTIC (albeit expensive). Johnnos on the beach is another great place at night, and visiting Shoal Bay East (and Gwen's bar there) is a must as well.

All in all, our stay was fantastic, and I dream about Anguilla and Carimar Beach Club often.

• Liked — The fantastic location, clean, large, and nicely decorated rooms, and fantastic staff
  • Disliked — Nothing at all to complain about. But, A/C could be improved (esp. important for hot summer months).
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Medfield MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Carimar for only one night on December 9, 2008 and we loved it. From the time we arrived, we were greeted by the friendly staff and then we were shown our room. We booked the 2 bedroom beach villa (1st floor) which was lovely. You stepped out on the porch and you are literally steps away from the beach. The beach itself is very beautiful…nice sand and the water is crystal clear. We didn’t waste anytime upon arrival and ended up staying in the ocean for hours. As one other reviewer mentioned, there is ac in the bedrooms but in order for it to work, the door(s) must be closed. We had no problems with that and the bedroom at night was quite comfortable.
Complimentary rum and coke was provided which I thought was a nice touch. The Carimar Beach Club was nice and we would definitely stay here again.

The one night we were on Anguilla, we dined at Blanchards and we had the best meal. It was fantastic and definitely worth every penny. The chocolate trio dessert they had was out of this world. The next morning, I had walked down the beach and stopped by Straw Hat to get some breakfast items. They were so nice there. Because we were only staying one night, I had asked them if they could provide me with some cream along with my croissants. They searched for a container for me and pretty soon I was on my way with my bag of goodies. I only wished we had more time to try the restaurant. The location is very pretty…next time for sure. We ate at Johnnos for lunch the day we arrived and ate at the Cuisinart for lunch the day we were leaving. Both were very good.

We had a fantastic time on Anguilla and we are definitely coming back. Carimar is a very warm, inviting and affordable. We cannot wait to stay here again…next time though it will be for at least a week.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Carimar Beach Club? Share your experiences!