“Sublime French cuisine and great place to get married !” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne
“Sublime French cuisine and great place to get married !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I attended a wedding at this cosy little restaurant several years ago and the owners at the time (Thierry and his wife) were amazing. I have not been to the restaurant under the current ownership but based on the other review I assume it's just as good or even better !

The wedding was held in the private courtyard / garden at the back and it was by far one of the best weddings I have ever been to for ambience and food.

I dined here on several occasions after the wedding, and the food and desserts were unimaginably good - as good as French dining gets.

Love the place - absolutely faultless, and I look forward to returning to Chez Bob and seeing what changes have been made in the last 5 years.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne
“Magnifiquel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

One could be pardoned for missing the entrance to this delightful restaurant. You really do need to look hard for it when you are driving along Beatty Avenue, the road on which it is situated.

Two friends and I visited Chez Bob in mid-December on one of our regular dining experiences. Believe me, we were not disappointed.

Unfortunately, the restaurant is relatively small and the seating is not all that comfortable. However we had a window table overlooking the street scenes outside, which made us feel less claustrophobic. However, it still is warm and welcoming.

The staff were courteous, articulate and really knew what they were doing, particularly with respect to their knowledge of the wines they were serving. Which brings me to the point that the cellar is varied and adequate - to suit anyone's tastes.

I enjoyed the Escargot (delightful), the Steak tartare (excellent) and the soft meringue with Crème anglaise (very good). My companions enjoyed Oysters, Duck, Boeuf bourguignon and Crème brûlée, all of which were excellent and well enjoyed by the lucky recipients.

And so to the costs - these were more than reasonable considering the quality of the food presented. I have been to other French cuisine restaurants in Melbourne, who have charged more, and who definitely didn't live up to expectations as did Chez Bob.

In summary, an excellent night, thoroughly enjoyable, and made ever so much more enjoyable by the Maitre d'. There is absolutely no doubt that I will be back to sample more of that extensive menu and enjoy myself once more in this little bit of France in Melbourne.

• Visited December 2012