“Wonderful food, wonderful setting, but beware of the waitstaff” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Missouri
“Wonderful food, wonderful setting, but beware of the waitstaff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Noyers is a fascinating village with lots of historical buildings. Les Millesimes is part of Maison Paillot, which includes a Boucherie. We stopped first at the Boucherie and obtained some wonderful canard, and of course some luxurious escargots (we had these the next day for dinner and were absolutely wonderful, but I digress).

We had seen the menu outside written in chalk and I was intrigued by the turbot with truffles at Les Millesimes. We were the first for lunch, shortly after 12:00; a roaring fire was going in the open fireplace giving the room a welcome warmth. Our waiter came over and suggested a local wine from Vézelayas an apéritif. As we perused the menu, I noticed my turbot was not on it. Our waiter was happy to oblige, sure, we can make that for you.

We ordered some wonderful dishes, including scallops in puff pastry with a lobster sauce and, of course, the turbot, done perfectly. Entrees included a seafood mousse and a potato epoisse tarte. (I do have to admit, I do not understand Bourgogne truffles, they seem to have little flavor)

Everything would have been wonderful except for two slipups, one our fault. The first was the wine; our waiter cautioned us not to drink too much wine as we would be driving. Hmm, this is a french restaurant, wine is so fundamental. Perhaps he was just being cautious, but certainly didn't feel the need to chide his other customers on ordering wine. So, just to be safe, I ordered a half bottle, but they were out. So I just ordered more of the same apéritif wine. He probably thought I was an idiot, but in reality, the character and acidity of the wine would be perfect for what we ordered. So, he just continued to pour out of the same bottle. As he refilled our glasses, he kept reminding us, "you're more than halfway through" etc. Geeze, this is weird.

Then we made made a terrible faux pas with the waiter in saying S'il tu plait, instead of S'il vous plait, or "if you please". Wes, I know this is extremely rude; the "tu" form is only for at home with those very familiar. Kind of like saying "Yo, dude" to someone's grandfather. To our waiter, if you're reading this, we apologize deeply, and did apologize deeply, but, alas, the damage was done. He barely interacted with us for the rest of the meal and it was certainly an effort for him to acknowledge us as we paid and left.

Ah, c'est la vie!! Life goes on! We explained this to our French teacher, and she said "Ohhh", and looked quite stern, but said the French should understand I'm trying, and not to feel bad.

The food is a good memory, but the waiter made us feel really uncomfortable and out of place.

This review written with added witticisms from the cow whisperer's wife; October 11, 2013.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Missouri
“Wonderful Food, Mixed Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I've contemplated a bit before writing this review. I read the other reviews, to see if my impressions were a little off. But my conclusion is that this restaurant offers customers a very mixed and strange style of French service.

First it should be noted that it appears one family owns and runs a couple of restaurants associated with the local Charcuterie and Boucherie, all around the same block. It's a beautiful setting, and we had first visited their shop before we dined, as we knew it would close for lunch. We bought (and cooked last night), truly wonderful duck breasts. If you have a chance to shop their store, I highly recommend it! We also purchased a good bit of bacon, and really terrific escargot, which my husband also cooked yesterday.

Afterward, we arrived at Restaurant les Millesimes a little early, but the waiter offered us a very nice table, just away from the roaring fire, which was a delightful welcome to the chilly weather. It was right at noon, and we realized we may have been a bit early, but he asked us about an appertif, and recommended a very nice glass of Chablis he had open, and he brought two warm, wonderful gougers to enjoy while we contemplated the menu.

But it was in placing our order where things got a little bizarre. My husband asked if there was a demi-bottle of the same Chablis, and the waiter said no, he didn't have one, so my husband said we would take a full bottle. The waiter then said he would not recommend it, since we would be driving. We were both flabbergasted. He didn't know if we were driving or not (unless he saw us earlier shopping their store), and since we planned to spend the afternoon wandering around the town, having a bottle of wine would not be a problem. Nowhere in France, of all places, have we ever been cautioned not to have too much wine! So then he bargained that we could have half of the bottle of Chablis that he already had open, for the price of the demi. It was just plain embarrassing, like we were high schoolers, and it cast a pallor over what was otherwise a truly wonderful meal. And it should be noted he was popping wine for other tables seemingly without any caution on how much they should be drinking.

So next we get a wonderful little amuse followed by my husband's scallop mousse, which I thought was just wonderful. I had the Tarte of Potato and Epoisses, which was quite good, and is also a specialty they offer in their shop.

Next, my husband ordered the turbot with Burgundy truffle, which was advertised on the board outside. I thought the fish was perfectly cooked although we just don't understand Burgundy Truffles. There is no comparison to the winter ones, they have so little taste. My dish was a little puff pastry filled with a delightful scallop mixture, and served with an homard sauce on the side. Again, really, really wonderful. The accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection.

But, after we had finished our first glass from our demi, our waiter came to pour more wine, but warned us we had reached the halfway mark on our allotment of wine. At that point, this wonderful meal was just ruined for me, so as he came over a bit later to pour a little more, I said no thank you, and then I made a huge faux pas...

I've been studying French with a local instructor as we're in France for six weeks. Previously, I'd studied for a few months with Alliance Francais, so while my French is still at a struggling beginner level, I am trying to learn. BUT, I used the dreaded s'il tu plait instead of s'il vous plait. I know this is considered very rude, but it was an accident, which I corrected immediately, and said I was sorry. But that did us in for him. His demeanor was very cold for the rest of the meal. Sigh.

And so, he brought out a magnificent apple tart, with a little bit of caramel ice cream, and a crispy praline tuile, but truth be told, at that point, we both just wanted out of there.

So we paid, and we said Merci upon leaving, which he didn't even acknowledge. It's too bad. The food in this restaurant is wonderful, and the setting beautiful. I was once a waitress in a five star restaurant myself, where I would flame cherries jubilee table-side, or toss Caesar salad, or carve chateaubriand. I know what proper service is, and I'm not talking about fawning over your customer. But you can make a meal a true delight for them, or you can ruin it. I've have the good fortune to dine in some of the best restaurants in the world, and I know that the food is just part of the equation.

And so, if you don't mind such off-putting service, the food here is just wonderful. As for the wine, I couldn't advise you, since we felt like underage bootleggers the whole meal! C'est triste!

Visited October 2013
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon at approx. 1:45pm. There were 2 empty tables outside (of 4) and a few occupied tables inside. We tried to sit at one of the outside tables, but were told by a very rude and arrogant waiter that we would have to sit inside because he didn't have time to clean our table outside... ??!! We looked at him with amazement, but decided to sit inside. We sat at a table that was set for three persons near the door leading to the outside. He said we could not sit there because we were only a party of two, and directed us to a cramped 2 person table directly beside another full table, even though there were many other empty tables. We said we preferred to sit next to the door to the outside, because we truly would have rather sat outside. He told us " if you cannot follow the rules of the restaurant, then you should leave." I would like to mention the date was Wednesday, October 2nd, so that the owner will know the exact person who was working. He was a short french waiter and I have never met a more arrogant, rude and condescending person before. I am sure the owner can look at this review and some of the others regarding this person, and know that he has no business working in the service industry. He appeared to be the only person working besides the cook. I also noticed some other patrons trying to get his attention, but he ignored them.

Visited October 2013
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Beautiful French table in quite ancient setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Truly beautiful French restaurant in the hear of Medieval Noyers. Refined food and exceptional wine list. Highly recommended Crémant de Bourgogne for aperitif. Nice family style service. A must visit.

Visited August 2013
Nantwich
“Lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I think that les Millesimes is one of the prettiest restaurants I have ever been in. We went for lunch -it was a miserable, wet day- so lovely and comfortable inside.
The food and service were second to none. All four of us had a faultless meal. The most amazing thing was the price - complimentary amuse bouche followed by three fab courses with coffee and petit fours all for €28. The wine was very reasonably priced.

• Visited September 2013