“SO MUCH POTENTIAL BUT NOT BOTHERED” 2 of 5 stars

Kings Head Hotel Masham
Market Place, Masham HG4 4EF, England   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Masham B&B and Inns
GEORDIELAND
“SO MUCH POTENTIAL BUT NOT BOTHERED”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Well where do I start,here is a hotel that should be cleaning up, it has very little competition but doesnt seem to care, on arrival at the room we tried the tele, no good, did not receive main channels, we phoned reception and were told it sometimes works ? , It was rather cold, we asked for heating but were told Boiler had blown, this was fixed promptly at least, there was dust on the fittings, the room was draughty, we found a large gap between the window frame and the main wall, we stuffed this with paper to prevent the draught, perhaps they could install secondary glazing inside the windows, the toilet brush holder had brown stuff at the bottom !!!!, The shower glass allowed water to run onto the floor, so all in all not a pleasant experience, we will use a 4 star guest house in future, so to the food, well very average to say the least, watery lasagne, and a veg pie that was more like a stew, breaKfast had items on menu but not available, i.e granola, we got the toast before the breakfast, were not asked if we wanted brown/white , we were asked if we wanted coffee or tea while up at the cereal bar, please give people a chance to sit down , breakfast should be relaxed, oh back to the restaurant , i asked if the chips were freash but alas they told me they were frozen, I asked if the ice cream was locally sourced as they have probably the best ice cream makers in yorkshire on their door step and dont use it , strange as it does appeal to punters, and tp end it all an error on the bill on departure, the chap in charge of restaurant was very casually dressed so you had no idea he was the gaffer do to speak, impressions count for a lot , on this experience it would not be our chosen accomodation in Masham ,which is a shame because it is an ideal location, a fantastic building , but they just dont seem to even meet the basics of customer focus.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

315 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

Just back from a great stay at the Kings Head. With a broken shower unit our stay could have turned out to be a disaster but the staff handled the situation perfectly. They quickly moved us to another room and on check out adjusted our tariff to the lower rate. I can't rave enough about the food in the restaurant. The thai seafood medley was one of the best fish dishes I have ever tasted and the vegetarian selection is also excellent. All in all a wonderful stay. We will be back!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Have stayed at the Kings Head many times, and will continue to return. The staff are very friendly, good food, real ales and reasonably priced wines. Rooms, particularly those in the old stables(?) are excellent with bath and large shower. Rooms very spacious, clean and comfortable. Excellent breakfast choice. Masham is ideally placed for visiting the Yorkshire Dales, and is only a short distance from Ripon, Harrogate and the A1 Road

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

We stayed for a wedding at the end of January. Our room was the Tack Room which was lovely and of the standard of a good 4* hotel. I think all the rooms are decorated differently which is nice. The food at the wedding was excellent both for quality of produce and quality of cooking. However, we had bar meals the night before. I had chicken skewers which were rubbery (in the way that microwaved chicken continues cooking) and my friend had a salad with a chicken breast which had freezer burn and was also overcooked. However, I also had breaded whitebait which was lovely.

I don't know what your alternative food venue would be though as we couldn't see any other restaurants in the village.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
trafford england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

I was looking for a overnight stay where i could relax. We stayed in the stables room which was outstanding.. The hotel was very friendly as so was the restaurant. It is set in a quiet village which may be busy over the summer season.. The price of the room was discounted for this time of year which added to our enjoyable stay.. The food in the restaurant was nice although my partner is only able to eat plain food without sauces etc and the only option was steak, could have the choice with chicken as well.. The prices were in aline with the other pubs around although the other pubs that were more expensive were Home Cooked.... Thank you for enabling me with your prices and hospitality to enjoy a fab restful stay.... The only downside of the village is that ALL entertainment offered is on the same night which was a Thursday and we were there on a wed... but hey hoy!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Hubby and I visit Masham regularly as it's one of our favourite places. We have usually, until this time, stayed in the Kings Head. However, over our last 3 visits to the restuarant (over 20ish months), we have had to complain. Admittedly, the 2nd time was due to lack of both food and wine available as they were changing the menu rather than the quality. Last weeks disaster was a bar meal which, after waiting over 1 hour in the first place, one of the dishes was incorrect. Both went back and came back over 1/2 hour later and mine (the one that was correct in the first place), was practically inedible. The staff are always very helpful and on all 3 occasions we have been recompensed however this is not really the point. The last time we stayed in the hotel (March this year) the bath panel had been kicked in (apparently by the previous occupants) - we didn't ask to be moved at the time but did report it. What I am most surprised about is that there is stiff competition now with the White Bear (where we stayed on this occasion) and so I would have expected the Kings Head to be raising their game and not letting it slip. I'm therefore really quite disappointed that I won't be staying or eating there again as it's in a fantastic spot. Advice to others? Try the White Bear!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
catterick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I had the misfortune of visiting this establishment for a meal with my family on a market day lunchtime. After waiting nearly an hour for my meal, the food was an absolutle disgrace with chicken that had been cooked days before and reheated resulting in very dry, very tough chicken, a steak that was so tough that I had difficulty in swallowing it and to make things worse my chips were burnt. To top the whole thing off they over charged me on the bill by almost £15 by adding other people's drinks and instead of including the meal deal in the price they charged me the individual prices - all in all, a very very disappointing visit and one I wont be in a hurry to repeat

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Kings Head Hotel Masham? Share your experiences!