“Real proper home made food,just like grandma used to make.” 5 of 5 stars

5 Silver Street, Masham HG4 4DX, England   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Masham B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
sunderland
“Real proper home made food,just like grandma used to make.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a proper inn,roaring fires great food and ale to make you want another, and another could not find fault with it at all. My wife and I booked Sharon and kens cottage (thorp end cottage mash am) for a three night break, see my other review for the cottage. So took full advantage of the bay for most of our meals, which also allowed our two websites to come and sit by the roaring fire, we had great break and would recomend to friends and family without hesitation. We would love to return for a 3 night mid week break and stay at the inn which is currently a bargain. For bed breakfast including evening meal.

Many thanks to all of the friendly staff and the locals.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Oakham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and i needed a well deserved break and after having a drink at The Bay in the summer whilst visiting Masham i decided to book in for a mid week stay. We got a very friendly welcome and were shown to our room which was clean and comfortable with all we required. I could go on forever about the quality of the food at the bay but suffice to say it is superb... All the staff are friendly and very accommodating and are a credit to Sharon and Ken. Cannot
praise highly enough, we will most certainly be back, possibly taking advantage of your gorgeous self catering cottage as well at some point!!
Thanks again
Andy and Yvonne Seaton

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ely
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were recommended The Bay Horse by a friend who has been resident in Masham for many years. Upon entry the roaring fires and friendly welcome made us feel instantly at home.

My Black Sheep was by far the best of several that week - perfectly kept. The menu was full of things you wanted to eat and all home made and with a strong leaning to local sourcing. Curries, chili, burgers, pies - all home made and more sophisticated dishes of pheasant and venison. Portions were enormous - especially my daughters childrens menu option which would have easily fed an adult and finished with superb chocolate brownie and the excellent Brymor ice-cream. Staff were friendly and enthusiastic - keen to ensure that all was well.

Just the sort of pub I would love to have as my own local - indeed it seemed the pub in town were the locals gathered. So good we went back for lunch the next day and were so glad we tried the goose burger - took this usually humdrum dish to a different level - quite historic!!

For me it sets the standard on how to run a proper pub with real values and integrity!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself plus 3 adults and four children had an evening meal at the pub, we all agreed it was delicious and the best meal out we have had in ages. I had lamb whilst the other three adults had the homemade steak pie.The price of the meal was very reasonable considering the standard of food.

The pub had an excellent atmosphere, with a good mix of local and holiday makers. Plus roaring fires and spotless toilets. I really couldn't find fault with anything, I just wish it was my local !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I had booked 1 night ( through Booking.com) to break our journey from Scotland to the Midlands.
After a 5.5hr journey from Scotland we were looking forward to a good meal and a comfortable night's rest. The staff were very welcoming but when we were shown to our room on the top floor we were dismayed. Not only was the room extremely narrow (just room for the bed) but the last flight of stairs were so steep that my wife struggled to make it to the top (we are both in our late 60's). I asked if the were any other available rooms but they were full. So we left the pub and walked across the square to The King's Head Hotel and found a very comfortable ground floor room which we accepted and promptly cancelled at The Bay Horse. I cannot make any comment on their food or hospitality as we did not stay with them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I called in, as she just wanted some chips, rather than a full meal. An enormous portion of chips arrived. They were really good, and the portion was so big, I had to help the wife to eat them. I had two excellent pints of cask ale, and while we were there, several meals came out for other people. They looked great, and enormous. The ambience of the pub was superb: just the sort of pub I love. Whilst there, we noticed that they do rooms, so we will be looking at booking one in the future

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Abbots Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stopped off here on our way South, and had a superb lunch. Atmosphere, genuinely friendly staff, attentive service and the best Steak Pie we have had for a very long time. You do have to wait, so if you are into fast food go to McDonalds. The food here is cooked fresh and to order and my goodness well worth the wait. Our daughter is a finicky eater and even she had a clean plate!! Looking forward to going back soon to try out their accommodation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Bay Horse? Share your experiences!