“Awesome weekend at this friendly spot” 4 of 5 stars

Fairways Hotel
3 Fairway Drive, Salt Rock 4391, South Africa   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Salt Rock B&B and Inns
Dueban
“Awesome weekend at this friendly spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a wonderful stay and will definitely come back, as well as refer our friends and family too. All the facilities were clean, maintained and modern.
The bathrooms are stunning. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The service very good. The meals very nice

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We expected a 4 star experience, but I wouldn't even rate it 1 star. We bought our two night stay at Fairway hotel through Daddy's Deals and realised we were caught for suckers the moment we walked into the "hotel". The shabby reception, with a cleaning lady acting as receptionist, said everything.
The first thing my husband told me when we reached our room, was that the place smelled like an old age home. That is because the smells from the cooking fill the whole building, even the rooms!
Dinner and breakfast were included in our deal, but when we saw the utterly depressing dining area, we decided to rather spend the extra money and go elsewhere.
Daddy Deals made this look like a 4 star experience at a bargain. Instead, it's an awful zero star experience at a rip-off.

• Stayed October 2013
Durban, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have just got back from the most disgusting holiday that I bought on daddys deals, I will never buy another voucher from this site again, the information here is false, and the places or holiday destinations are not up to what it’s made out to be, we stayed at fairways hotel in salt rock from Friday to Sunday, we didn't like the food on Friday, so we asked if they can do anything to accommodate us, Anita said she will speak to Stefanie(owner). We were also told that the Jacuzzi would take one hour on Friday for it to be warm after they switched it on at 3pm.

So we waited on Friday till 6 for the Jacuzzi, it never got warm, we then went to have supper, the kitchen had a stink so we decided to sit outside in the cold arena and when the Sea food Marinara came, we tasted it and it was disgusting. So we spoke to Anita about where is the nearest places for food and we drove to Ballito on Friday night. Anita also advised that she will speak to the owner to see what they can do to accommodate us, I asked maybe if we could get a R 50 voucher for Nandos at least.

On Saturday morning, after sleeping in a room that smells disgusting, and damp, we were consoled ourselves that at least we would finally use the Jacuzzi, so I went to test it, and it was still freezing, I had to wait for Anita who starts work on a Saturday at 12pm to ask how much longer for it to get warm, finally I saw her in the yard sitting with Stefanie, so I decided to approach them, when I asked about the food, Stefanie refused me bluntly, then when I asked about the Jacuzzi, she said “Knock yourself out” then I replied it is still cold, then she says conveniently that it broke down on Friday and they could not get anybody to fix over the weekend. I waited the entire Friday evening and Saturday morning only for them to tell me at 12:30 it doesn’t work, I then left and approached her again a while later, saying that I am sure that its breach of contract since the Jacuzzi is not working, she said no, it doesn’t state that it has to be a certain temperature, by now as you can imagine, it got really ugly, my wife’s birthday was wasted, she was in the bath so I had my room keys in my hand, Stefanie says, “I see you have your room keys, please leave it on your way out” I was appalled, she then says to me don’t be clever with her because I said I want the Jacuzzi fixed today so I can “Knock Myself out” she said I must not be clever with her, so I asked “otherwise” then she says I am threatening her, how was this so, she made the statement!! She said I better go before she kicks me out, she then says I am calling her a liar because she never said “knock myself out” and has the audacity to then ask Anita when she said that, how can an employer ask her staff in an ugly situation and expect their staff to be truthful and place their jobs in jeopardy, I was so ready to leave but my in laws took my son for a holiday and they had my house keys so I could not even go.

We had to buy supper again on Saturday night, my wife’s entire birthday was spoilt, Stefanie seems to be getting a nice reputation and Daddy’s Deals are still giving her business and making their names bad. I don’t trust any package from Daddy’s Deals anymore as this being my first of Many I hoped through you guys, I have been ripped off. According to inside sources, the Jacuzzi never works.
We wanted to use the Jacuzzi, which is why we booked there in the first place and we thought we would not need to drive anywhere for food, but through your false advertising, your company has lied terribly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richards Bay, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Rooms fill with smell of cooking from badly ventilated kitchen. I had to place a towel under my door to stop room filling with smell of cooking. The food is less than average, the serving dish covers over the "breakfast" are cracked and glued together. An evening meal takes and average of 1 hour, I do not exaggerate, to be served. The reception, lounge, dining area are all linked, and when booking in, one is greeted by someone peeling potatoes in the background, and again that cooking smell. The people cooking also "clean" the rooms and meet at reception. I wrote the date in the dust on the bathroom blinds, There is NO DSTV to talk of and to advertise otherwise is false.. It is all connected to one decoder downstairs, and half way through a movie the 'manager" might change it at a whim. A fellow visitor in another room had one channel, mostly snow.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Gauteng
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Reception area cold and unwelcoming. Our rooms view was looking over the owners backyard and dog bowls, the owner doesn't seem to have much interest in running a professional establishment. Rooms are not cleaned properly, experimented with a dead cockroache being left in the bathroom for 3 days. The rooms smells of damp. Breakfast was the same every morning. The owner sits on the patio in a bra and uses the pool area to entertain her guests and swim with her dogs. Not suitable for small children. Would definatly not recommend this "hotel" it is in need of serious renovations and not worth the rate, apparently the 4* stars have been taken away so not sure why they still advertise as a four star. Staff were friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The "hotel" is more of a B&B but without the welcoming owners to make the experience homely.
There is no reception, we were greeted by a maid who couldnt answer any questions about the hotel or the local area. She simply presented us with a preprinted page. The hotel is sold as a boutique spa, however we were given no details of the spa, and on further enquiry there is just a room a few local girls use from time to time to do treatments. This is hardly a spa. On our last day we found out there was a jaccuzzi and pool, but no-one mentioned these facilities prior to us discovering them, as there is no in room folder that is usually present at hotels.

The breakfast is below average, with a small selection of food that is repeated daily. The "orange juice" is more of a concentrate mixture.

The reception area houses a comfortable couch with plenty of local reading material.

However the room itself was lovely. Tastefully decorated, with an HUGE en-suite bathroom, containing an almost outdoor shower and a spa bath. The bath products provided were good, and I love the touch of the candles. The maid service was amazing, and they even packed our personal bags properly, which was surprising to discover.

The hotel was being renovated during our stay, so there was quite a bit of noise, however the place needed it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Midrand, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Although the rooms were comfortable, this is not a Four star experience or what I expected from the expectations created from the hotel website. The kitchen staff double up as everything. There were no reception on arrival no manager or host to be seen for an entire 3 days we stayed. The hotel is in serious need of maintenance and in some places just cleaning up. this was a very disappointing experience coming from a four star bed and breakfast I really expected for this to a better stay.This hotel is not recommended for the price and what the entire experience offered. This hotel is in serious need of the owners involvement and attention.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fairways Hotel? Share your experiences!