“Not what I expected” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bristol Road, Falfield GL12 8DL, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Falfield
Mombasa, Kenya
“Not what I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Not quite sure what I was expecting as part of a chain, but pleasantly surprised. Smaller than I thought, check in was very easy, room clean and with everything you could need. We only had breakfast - delicious with nice strong filter coffee.
Would definitely use again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post an honest review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit as we always try very hard to meet our customers needs and when we get such encouraging feedback it makes it all the more worthwhile. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to the Team.
Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very enjoyable stay. Receptionists welcoming, helpful, friendly and efficient. Rooms clean and comfortable. Food well prepared and presented and good value for money. Good selection for breakfast and evening meal. Staff helpful, courteous and concerned about pleasing. Facilities entirely satisfactory so far as we are concerned as a mature couple. Good all round pleasurable experience in every respect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you found all aspects of your stay to be positive. I will certainly pass on all your kind and positive comments to all the Team.
Thanks again.
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having requested a King Size bed in a room on the top floor, for my wife & I, we were extremely disappointed to be given the key to a room with only a Double bed. At 6'4" tall, this makes for an uncomfortable night. In addition to this they had only reserved the room or me, thinking I was on my own.

The first time we stayed at this hotel, nothing was too much trouble. Having said that it was my eldest daughters wedding location & a significant number of rooms had been booked for the family members needing to stay over. We had booked directly over the phone & requested an email to confirm booking. On the day we were travelling I had to phone again as we had no details. I was again promised an email. This has still not happened.

During this stay, when I asked if there was another room, we were advised the hotel was fully booked & there were no other rooms available.

Despite this less than pleasant stay, it will not stop us from using the hotel again.

Room Tip: Top Floor in the end wing are the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post an honest review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables. I was very sorry to note that, having set the bar so high on your first visit, that we failed to meet your needs during your recent stay. We always try extremely hard to meet all our customers needs and clearly on this occasion we fell short. I am however pleased to see that this experience will not put you off staying with us in the future and would ask that when you are next in the area, that you give me a call and I will be delighted to make the arrangements for you personally.
Thanks again.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

After a exhausting day on the Gromit unleashed trail we just wanted a nice hotel where we could get a drink, a nice meal & a comfy bed, and the Gables obliged on all three.
The staff were all helpful (although reception forgot to inform restaurant we had booked a table for evening meal).
Room was functional, we were at the back of hotel which was fortunate as we had to have windows open at night as there was no fan in the room, but there again I suppose you can count on one hand how often you need a fan in England!
Breakfast was also very good, substantial buffet style cooked breakfast along with a good selection of fruit & continental breakfast.
All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Gables.

Room Tip: A rear facing room away from main road
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post an honest review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit as we always try very hard to meet our customers needs and when we get such encouraging feedback it makes it all the more worthwhile.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Well kept hotel with a nice outdoors area to have a drink and / or meal if the weather is good. Everywhere seems very clean and tidy and the rooms are pretty good.
My only grip and it's a gripe I have with every hotel I have ever stayed in is poor vegetarian choices. Why, as a non meat eater do I only get one choice? ie "The vegetarian option" How many people would put up with having only one choice every time they eat out? To make matters worse my one choice on one night was goats cheese! uurrggghh The hotel did replace it with mozzarella.
Nothing at all wrong with the hotel, just disappointed as always in the lack of inspiration in the vegetarian choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post an honest review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you generally enjoyed your visit and was also pleased to hear that we accommodated your request to adapt the vegetarian dish to your particular preference. We always try very hard to meet our customers needs and if we can persuade you to visit us again i'm sure we can go the extra mile in meeting your needs for a better vegetarian choice. Rest assured that we will take your comments on board and work towards a better experience for all our guests in the future.
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here last month to check it out as we had blind-booked a number of rooms for a wedding stay over in September. Found it to be a typical budget hotel, but we were surprised and delighted by how efficient and helpful the staff were. The breakfast was also excellent, with more choice of items and better cooked than that of the Marriott in Bristol the following morning.

These aspects tipped the balance from it being an average hotel to very good in my rating. On the negative side, the bar top was found to be sticky and needed a wash down and there was some traffic noise. Nevertheless happy to return in September. The good points outweighed the bad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post an honest review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and are now happy to bring your guests to stay with us in September. We always try very hard to meet our customers needs and when we get such encouraging feedback it makes it all the more worthwhile. However, your point regarding the cleanliness in the bar have been noted. Rest assured that we will take your comments on board and work towards a better experience for all our guests in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you and your party in September.
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Absolute waste of money. Extremely noisy, staff lacking common sense (is it that hard, when you have space, to put people who are nothing to do with the ridiculously noisy function going on, in corridors away from the function room and outside seating area so that they can actually sleep? It annoys me that you have to complain to make this happen - you could hear the noise in the reception so surely it was obvious to sleep people away from this) and very uncomfortable beds. Would not recommend it to anyone. Will probably never stay in a Best Western Hotel again, and certainly not at this one. You would be more comfortable and get a better nights sleep in you slept in your car.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Mr Hartley

Please let me reiterate my profound appologies for the shortcomings in service you recieved last Friday during your stay with us. I have already explained when responding to your feedback to Best Western that we were not aware that the function would affect other guests in the hotel. With hindsight you are of course correct that we should have foreseen this and allocated you a quite room. We clearly got it wrong and for that I am truly sorry.
I had hoped that my personal apology given to you on Saturday morning, together with the recompense given on check out and my reasurance that this is not our usual standard as customer care is of paramount importance to us would have been some small comfort.
Whilst I appreciate that you may not wish to stay with us again I can only hope that you will give us another chance if in the area again and if you can be persuaded then please contact me directly and I will be pleased to make the arrangements personally.

Been to BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel? Share your experiences!