“Worst hotel we have ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bristol Road, Falfield GL12 8DL, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Falfield
UK
“Worst hotel we have ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Absolute waste of money. Extremely noisy, staff lacking common sense (is it that hard, when you have space, to put people who are nothing to do with the ridiculously noisy function going on, in corridors away from the function room and outside seating area so that they can actually sleep? It annoys me that you have to complain to make this happen - you could hear the noise in the reception so surely it was obvious to sleep people away from this) and very uncomfortable beds. Would not recommend it to anyone. Will probably never stay in a Best Western Hotel again, and certainly not at this one. You would be more comfortable and get a better nights sleep in you slept in your car.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Mr Hartley

Please let me reiterate my profound appologies for the shortcomings in service you recieved last Friday during your stay with us. I have already explained when responding to your feedback to Best Western that we were not aware that the function would affect other guests in the hotel. With hindsight you are of course correct that we should have foreseen this and allocated you a quite room. We clearly got it wrong and for that I am truly sorry.
I had hoped that my personal apology given to you on Saturday morning, together with the recompense given on check out and my reasurance that this is not our usual standard as customer care is of paramount importance to us would have been some small comfort.
Whilst I appreciate that you may not wish to stay with us again I can only hope that you will give us another chance if in the area again and if you can be persuaded then please contact me directly and I will be pleased to make the arrangements personally.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed at Gables for a one night family gathering en route to wedding. Smallish hotel standard european rooms. Reception was unexceptional. The room was clean and comprehensively equipped, although we had to order an extra set of towels, which for a so called bridal suit with 4 poster was a bit odd. The evening meal for the family of 32 was preordered and really good. The staff were working hard and remained good humoured throughout. Breakfast was plentiful
All in all just the ticket for what we used it for.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from the reception are the quietest
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us last week. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the convivial pre weddding party on Friday night in our Brasserie. It really was a wonderful evening enjoyed by all, including the Team here at the hotel and we all wish Holly and Phil all the best for their future together.

Kind regards

Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Organised a business meeting for 14, plus dinner and then overnight stay. From an admin point of view the hotel was very accommodating with details changing up until the last moment. Gabriella looked after us well. Meeting room was ideal. Bedrooms were clean and beds comfortable. Breakfast was probably best meal of 3 sampled by our delegates. Some of the food served at other times was rather dry or overcooked. But overall staff were very pleasant and the manager popped up swiftly, though the problem was resolved before he arrived. Wifi without a password is a real bonus on a business trip!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you found everyone so accommodating and that Gabriella and the Team looked after your needs so well. I will certainly pass on all your kind and positive comments to all and we will take on board your observations regarding some of the meals for future improvements in that area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I took my wofe away to Gloucestershire as a Birthday surprise and pre-booked the Gables Hotel on line. I got an excellent price - just £44 for a double en-suite room with breakfast. I e-mailed ahead of our stay and asked if they could allocate a nice room - as it was a Birthday. The front-desk supervisor - Amy - immediately replied to indicate that she would up-grade us to a superior room. The hotel is very conveniently situated in a rural location alongside the A38 between Thornbury and Berkeley. On arrival, there is ample car-parking and we strolled to reception. Externally an "L-shaped" mock tudor building arranged on two storeys. The reception lobby occupies a two-floor open-plan glassed area with a galleried staircase to the second floor. Check-in was efficient. On arriving at our allocated room (# 224) we were delighted to see that we had been upgraded to a four-poster room - and all this for £44 !

The room was very well appointed. Light, airy, immaculately clean and nicely maintained. We had two windows with views over the rear of the property to farmland. In-room facilities included: four-poster bed with comfortable memory foam mattress; tea and coffee making facilities with shortbread biscuits; large wall-mounted LED TV; telephone; generous amount of hanging space and drawers; several mirrors; hair-dryer; two reproduction chairs; stool &coffee table. There were several lamps which enabled a number of lighting moods to be created. The bathroom, with over-bath shower was immaculate with a good range of fluffy white towels and usual complimentary toiletries.

We had a pre-dinner drink on the patio and then dined in the Hotel's Brasserie.

The Brasserie has an excellent range of freshly prepared foods, smart-setting and an abundance of good quality table linen. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Choices at the Brasserie included main meals with unbelievable value at circa £10, starters and desserts at around £5. House wines were about £14. My wife had Fresh and Smoked Salmon Mousse to start; Chilli Roasted Sweet Potato Rissotto with Proscuitto as a main meal; Homemade individual Chocolate and Butterscotch Cheesecake for dessert. I had Parfait of Chicken Liver, followed by 12 hour Confit of Pork Belly, Apple Scented Potatoes and a Red Pepper Cream sauce. I had the cheeseboard for afters. All this together with two apperitifs and a bottle of wine for less than £65. Amazing value and excellent quality.

Nearby can be found Berkeley Castle ( well worth a visit with included guided-tour, gardens and butterfly house for £9.50 admission); the market town of Thornbury; historic Gloucester and on the north shore of the Severn Estuary, the Forest of Dean and Tintern Abbey.

The hotel also has several function / conference rooms and would be ideal as a Wedding or Conference venue.

We'd HIGHLY recommend the Gables as an excellent base for a weekend in Gloucestershire.

We had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful review. We really apreciate you taking the time to give us such a fantastic in depth review of your recent stay with us here at the Gables. You have really epitomised our keen focus on customer service and trying to go the extra mile for all our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

kind regards

Ellesmere Port, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Small hotel, nice food although tiny portions we went and ate pot noodles back in the room. It's miles from any shop, the staff in the restaurant didn't seem too attentive and the menu didn't have many vegetarian options. Couldn't fault the wedding, bar staff were happy, dancing and genuinely seemed like they wanted to be there. Next day at reception, there was an issue with another wedding guest and the receptionists were rude, unhelpful and had a real attitude problem. I have extensive hospitality experience and would have expected better from a larger chain, the main issue for me was that Best Western market their hotels "with personality" this unfortunately had none.

• Stayed May 2013
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post an honest review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the wedding at the hotel. We always try very hard to meet our customers needs and when we get such encouraging feedback it makes it all the more worthwhile. However, I was dissapointed to note thet we did not deliver exceptional customer service to everyone on this occasion. Rest assured that we will take your comments on board and work towards a better experience for all our guests in the future.
Thank you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is idyllic from the outside a doesn't disappoint on the inside. Our room was small but clean and the lady on reception when we checked in was extremely friendly and helpful! We positioned ourself here as its close enough to reach the badminton horse trials. Reasonable choice for breakfast making for a good start to the day.

• Stayed May 2013
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post an honest review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the experience and found everything to your satisfaction. The hotel is indeed well situated for the Badminton Horse Trials, but please don't wait a year before you return, there are lots of other interesting things to see in the area.
Thanks again.
Bromham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Gables Hotel as I was attending a wedding locally. The hotel was lovely and clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. Although I was on my own I felt at ease and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was very good. I would really recommend this hotel and thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room at the back of the hotel and it was extremely peaceful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Andrew I, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at The Gables Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the experience and found everything to your satisfaction. I will certainly pass on all your kind and positive comments to all the Team here at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to BEST WESTERN The Gables Hotel? Share your experiences!