“Fantastic place ruined by out of control children” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Usk
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place ruined by out of control children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

With elderly relatives near Usk, we have been frequent diners at the greyhound for many years, and we’ve also stayed in their accommodation. This is really a fantastic pub, well managed, lovely interior, excellent staff and especially wonderful food. We’ve always thoroughly enjoyed our meals and always look forward to going. In the last two years, however, we have noticed that it has become increasingly frequented by parents with very young children which is an issue when the feral youngsters treat the entire building as a playground. They zoom around the rooms, screaming and shouting whilst the parents gaze on unashamedly ignorant that such behaviour is antisocial and rude. Our most recent visit was midweek in December, before the school holidays, and we specifically booked a table for 8pm believing that we would be spared the children’s antics at such a late hour. To our dismay we discovered that every dining area contained “family” groups and our booked table was completely surrounded by them. Whilst our food was delicious, the evening was a total ordeal especially as my very expensive coat (placed carefully on the back of my chair) somehow ended up with food stains on it (£15 dry cleaning bill and the marks are still evident). I doubt the damage was from the staff spilling anything but was more likely caused by the sticky fingers of the disorderly children zooming around the room. We are frequent travellers to France where meals in restaurants are NEVER conducted in such an environment, the children are expected to sit at the table and eat with manners. Just what has gone wrong in some parts of UK, Wales seems especially bad? It is now impossible to have a civilised evening in a restaurant without feeling that one has entered a wild animal enclosure. Pub owners need to take some kind of firm action against the yummy mummy brigade and their dreadful children by either banning them at certain times (after 7.30 pm) OR having child free zones. We have now pretty much given up on the Greyhound Inn /Zoo…………….what a shame.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pontypool, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife & I have a Christmas treat (a child free lunch) while the children are still in school. This year like last we decided on the Greyhound. A Lovely pub in pretty gardens on the outskirts of Usk. My wife had the goats cheese starter and lamb shank, I had the breaded brie starter and fillet steak with onions, with drinks the bill came to £55. We ate in the bar (as we prefer this to the restaurant proper); the food was superb, the portions so generous we couldn't face dessert - and I was dying to try the whiskey & marmalade sponge pudding. Friendly & welcoming atmosphere, very good service, and 3 real ales in the bar (Bass, A Wickwar brewery beer, and Abbot Ale). The Wickwar was lovely. Heartily recommended. We've been many times and never had a bad experience, my only complaint (if you can call it that) is my favourite fillet tails in peppercorn sauce wasn't on the specials board.

• Visited December 2013
Usk, Wales, United Kingdom
“Favourite place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The food is always really good and all the Staff are friendly. it's mine and partners favourite place to eat and it never disappoints.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newport, United Kingdom
“Saturday Evening with Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This lovely Inn in the Usk valley did not disappoint when we visited for a meal with friends on a busy saturday evening.The staff were very helpful and friendly and the food very good.We went early in the evening to make sure of a table and sure enough when we arrived it was very busy.I can highly recommend this resturant for the food,atmosphere and staff and i am sure we will be returning in the near future.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“All time favourite.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I've probably been to the greyhound 100+ times. I was brought up as a child going on a Saturday with my grandparents, I often go with my parents and now with my partner and we've introduced our friends to the greyhound too. The best pub food in South Wales, easily!! It's about 30 mins drive from where we live in Cardiff but its well worth it. Extremely reasonable in price, very friends staff. Will always go back! If you haven't been, go!!

• Visited September 2013