“VERY VERY POOR” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 Usk B&B and Inns
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
“VERY VERY POOR”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Visited a year or two back now. Not sure if the owners are the same, but back about 4 years ago, I was disgusted with the place.
We used to go there very often for a meal, but as soon as the new owners took over they wrecked the place.
We booked a double room for my wife and myself. Took ages for the key to the room as it had not been cleaned even at 4pm after we booked the room the weekend before. When we were finally given the keys we were taken a to very small crammed room with 2 single beds. I returned to the bar and asked the lady that owned the place and she said, not for us to worry as she will push the 2 single beds together. THIS IS NOT A DOUBLE ROOM I said to her. Then she got very shirty with me, I then told her that we would not be spending the night and woudl be booking elsewhere. A week later, I checked my bank statement online and she had taken the £80 for the room. The rooms on her website were nothing like the actual room they had for rent, just stolen images from the internet.
NOT TO BE TRUSTED!

Room Tip: There are several places in Usk to stay, anywhere would be better!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Uskwales, Owner at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
In reply to this malicious fabricated review a few facts of truth:

All rooms are ready and available by 12 noon at the latest.
I have not had any single beds in these premises for 3 years, all rooms have double bed, this person claimed that they stayed here 1 year ago.
Room rates are not £80.00 and I would not have taken payment
All photos are accurate images of the rooms and bar.
This reviewer has told blantant lies and has contridicted him self by saying that he did not stay here but then marked sleep quality.
Finally, after claiming he booked a room 1 year ago, why only write a review 12 months later?
I have no idea who this reviewer is, but seems to be someone that has got too much time on their hands writing vindictive untrue reports.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
East Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed here on a work trip, booked by a colleague. I have stayed in pubs before and feared the worst as I was shown to my room which was above the bar. However, things wrapped up not long after eleven so I enjoyed a good nights sleep, broken only by the baby mentioned in the below review. From the footsteps above I guess the owner is above the room I was in so I could hear the baby, but my colleague in another room heard nothing. You can't really begrudge the guy having a baby!!!

My room was nice and clean, the bedding smelt great!

When we stayed the weather was pretty dire and my window rattled, but I sorted that by jamming my towel against it - again, the place is over 600 years old, so you expect a few squeaks and rattles, it's all part of the charm!

The food was cracking pub grub and the beer was excellent.

In reference to the below review, I found my bed to be perfectly comfortable and overall I would recommend this place. Yes, it's not the Ritz but it's very good value for money.

Room Tip: I'd ask for one of the rooms at the back of the pub to avoid road noise and being above the bar.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed there for two nights for a wedding with a few other friends. We chose this as the tariff was reasonable. I've booked it via emails on behalf of a group of us and the owner could not be more helpful. We did not pay anything upfront and was only asked to give my bank card details. On the day of arrival we received a phone call from the owner checking if we were okay and our ETA to ensure we check in without any problems (as we were checking in late in the evening). We were very pleased as everything seemed very positive. The car park was easy to find and has got plenty of spaces.

The place looked really nice and clean. The three rooms we've booked were all in decent size and had en suite as anticipated. However, we gradually found out things were not what they seemed. All the beds were very uncomfortable - in fact my mate mentioned he could feel the springs in their mattress! Two out of the three en suite showers switched from hot to cold uncontrollably (we couldnt even adopt the 'get it over and done with' approach as it was not powerful enough).

We are not sure if it is the flooring or simply the age of the building, when people walk past our rooms we could simply hear the squeaky noise from the flooring and it was very annoying. The walls were quite thin anyway so we could hear pretty much everything, including the owner's dog barking at 7 in the morning!!! One of my mates could also hear a baby crying throughout the night.

We didnt have any breakfast there therefore could not comment on the food. However, my husband and a couple of our friends did have a few pints there and they said it was 'fine'.

When we were paying for the accommodation on the last day, we did try to explain the problems we've experienced to the owner. He was quite rude and blase and commented his dog barks whenever people walk past!!! We were not very happy with his attitude but decided to leave the place asap anyway.

I suppose sometimes you do get what you pay for!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Uskwales, Owner at Cross Keys Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Im very dissappointed to read your comments on Trip Advisor. As you are aware I am an independent operator and in todays current climate any negative comments are extremely disheartening, upsetting and possibly harmful to future business.

Just to reply to some of the comments that were made:

Matresses are a personal choice, all of the beds have good quality matressess and bedding which are kept spotlessly clean, I am unable to provide beds that accomodate all guests personal comfort.

The showers are electric and so the only explantion that I can think of for the variation in temperature is that the "pull cord" had been pulled off. We would happily have shown you if asked.

The pub was originally built in 1368, so yes that does explain the noise that travels through walls and floors. That is the charm of the building for our guests with original beams, log fires and history.

The dog barked in the morning as someone entered our car park - she is here for security and was simply doing her job. Yes it was early ish for a weekend but as soon as I investigated the trespasser she quietened down. I am sure you would be grateful if she detered a car thief / vandal.

Finally yes there was a baby crying - I have a 4 month old who is teething, I apologise that one of your friends was disturbed, I did my best to quieten him as quickly as possible.

I appreciate that you are paying guests, but do not feel that the negative comments that have been written are wholly justified. As i mentioned earlier I single handly own The Crosskeys and am very dissapointed that your stay resulted in such negativity. Hopefully your impression will be changed after my reply.
Newport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is a lovely historic old coaching inn in a smashing small town. We called in for Xmas lunch this week and by goodness it was excellent value because we had the OAP's menu for £10 a head for 3 courses. The portion size was smaller than normal but still good enough for us. The staff were very friendly and the service was very good. There is a smashing atmosphere in the old world inn. They also have a good value 2 couse lunch advertised for OAP's at £5 a head from Monday to Saturday.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
newport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I found this by chance when looking for post wedding accommodation and was pleasantly surprised.

The combo of a very comfy room and superb traditional works very well and Brian the giant and Nic made me feel very welcome.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Great atmosphere, friendly staff made for a welcoming and pleasant stay. Lovely home made food, breakfast to die for, home from home.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Friendly environment, excellant food, lovely beer warm friendly atmosphere in the bar around the log fire. Nicola and her staff offers a very warm welcome.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Cross Keys Inn? Share your experiences!