“Great Food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Cwmbran
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to this pub for a meal for the first time last night. Upon arrival we were promptly shown to our table in the conservatory area. When researching the Castle Inn on google we found their website very professional and pleasing to the eye. I've gotta to say the appearance of the restaurant area does not live up to the same standard as the website. The decor looks tired and dated and in need of a lick of paint. After being shown our table our drinks order was taken but they took a long time to arrive. But to be fair an apology was forthcoming. We then ordered our meal. I had the starter of black pudding stack consisting of black pudding, butter beans, a poached egg and caviar. My wife had smoked salmon. For main course we both had the sea bass. I've got to say the quality of food was exceptional, nicely presented and piping hot. We went for the meal deal of £30 for two 2 courses with a full bottle of red wine included. Exceptional value for money. A small gripe was the salt cellar was empty when I tried to use it. Surely things like this should be checked before the restaurant section opened for the evening. At the end of the day it was all about the food and we were impressed so for that reason I'm giving this place full marks. We'll be back for more soon !!!!

Visited July 2014

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Great meal in a Good Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We went for our Anniversary dinner on a Saturday night at the Castle.This pub is in the square of the pretty town of Usk which has won many of Wale's Flower shows. The restaurant in a conservatory over looking the rear beer garden.My ribeye steak was excellent and so was the Sea bass topped with caviar. This pub must have a great head chef and we need to support them. We will return!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Quaint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Nice wee place in a pretty village. Friendly and very accommodating let us check in early as wanted to get into Cardiff earlier for event at Millennium Stadium. Room small but clean and comfortable (although a couple of loose floorboards buy corner of bed in room 1 )a little noisy as room at front but to be expected as staying in a pub! We had special lunch deal 2for £11.99 Ham egg and chips and lasagne both lovely , evening meal and breakfast good as well.

Visited July 2014
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Questionable service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Visited the Castle Inn on Saturday, 28th June, 2014 - big mistake!!!. This date co-incided with the flower festival in the town; so lots of visitors. Nevertheless, in spite of heavy customer demand, one would expect that restaurant providers would (or should) be reasonably prepared for most eventualities - on the 28th. of July, the Castle Inn was not!
On our arrival at the restaurant we were told that it was unlikely we would get a table, but that the situation would be checked. We waited 10 minutes but had no further communication from any staff. We then checked with a senior member, and was asked to take any available table (fo two) which we did. This was all at 1.45.pm. At 2.35pm we were eventually approached by a waiter who informed us that we had had no service as we had not been seen!!!!
All I can say is that the Castle Inn should be avoided on a busy day.

Newport, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We popped in for the two for £11.99 and weren't disappointed, the food was cooked superbly and we weren't kept waiting too long, the service was fab, I only wished I'd had room for dessert, never mind I'll try harder next time!

• Visited May 2014