“Hotel for Old people and children” 3 of 5 stars
Review of RV Hotel Ametlla Mar

You added RV Hotel Ametlla Mar to your Saves list
RV Hotel Ametlla Mar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urbanizacio del Roques Daurades Cala Bon Capo, 43860 L'Ametlla de Mar, Spain   |
Español
“Hotel for Old people and children”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I will be really short because such a hotel doesn't need so much to tell about.

The hotel, the building is really big, modern and new but really poor maintenance and tha's the most negative part from my point of view because such a hotel could be much much better with a normal maintenance.

The rooms are big, higher floors and middle romos are the best otherweise you will be too low, more noise from the bar, hall, night shows and machines (air cond). The balcony is nice, specially because of the seaviews. The tv worked, many channels, the cleaning was good but the bathroom was a bit damaged, not well cleaned (shower).

Extra parking that you can use (paying) but no need to.....was parking every day in front at the Street for free.

Spa/Gym: another negative point. We were calling reception to ask for the opening hours, they said 20:30 and we were going at 19h....door opened and 3min later when we were doing some sports the cleaning lady and "maintenance" guy came in and in a really bad was (not polite) said "It is closed, you can't use the gym, you have to leave". Next time a "Hello, excuse me, I am sorry to say...." will be appreciated! I just told them about my conversation with the receptionist and they even Heard me at all so I have to repeat 3 times in a clear spanish language until they got it.....the guy went to reception and the cleaning lady said: "if you want to swim go to the beach" that was too late and getting dark so....the woman was just making a really stupid and bad comment. The receptionist was apologizing because during summer the opening times were till 20:30 but now changed to 19h.... We just asked to use only the gym and no way, impossible! The excuse was that the lifeguard was leaving at 19h....but we did not want to swim at all. And the funny thing is..... 1 lifeguard takes care from the outdoor pool and the indoor pool which is far away from each other? I mean....no sense at all. They just did not want us to enjoy a service we paid for and that's all because next morning was at the indoor pool and no lifeguard at all was there.

Breakfast: we took just breakfast option and you should do the same as there are plenty of place in L'Ametlla de Mar to eat good and cheap. The breakfast was "ok", fruits, eggs, omelettes, sweets.....but the juices were just wáter with some taste, awful. And the waiting time to get a coffee was tooooo long, specially if you are there at the same time as the old people groups which stay there.

Reception: although they were nice they should improve a bit their knowledge aboud the hotel....

Room Tip: upper floors and rooms located NOT on the sides, better middle part
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The surroundings of the Hotel are nice and the swimming pools quite fun. But the rooms are old and noisy.

Our room had a motor above it that was running through all the night and we couldn't sleep. When we complained, staff were very very rude and said that it was our "imagination"... unbelievable !!

It's a pity that they don't take care of having nice employees and a good customer attention, because the outdoor part of the Hotel have great potential.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chipping Sodbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I usually read reviews before booking but we booked this through an employee scheme at a good rate so only read the reviews after booking. I was prepared to book somewhere after reading these reviews but.... It is actually quite nice. There are mainly Spanish people here, shock horror! In a Spanish hotel! I have been to English hotels in England, full of English people, believe it or not. There are a mix of Nationalities here which is nice, some staff speak English, enough to get what we need. The food is fine, buffet style, with a large choice of 3 courses. Someone wrote that they couldn't recognise the food as it is Spanish, haha. I can report that I recognised everything and it tastes good, perhaps the reviewer has had a sheltered life, there is fish and chips if you like but also a large range of salads, soup, steak, aubergine, mixed veg etc. etc. A varied mix each day, not piping hot but it is a buffet after all. It is really quiet here this week (30th May) so hardly any sun loungers being used, this may be an issue in peak season though. Another reviewer said there were lots of elderly people here, there are some but the age range is mixed, there is also a group of Spanish school children. If you don't like elderly people then an 18 to 30 holiday might be better for you. In summary, the bedrooms are pretty basic but comfortable. You do need a car if you want to see other things, but how you would get here without one, I don't know. The beach is actually clean but small. The outdoor pools are not heated but clean and tidy, the place is quiet for teenagers, overall, good not fantastic.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view but higher floors have the best views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
radstock somerset uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

we were shocked to find when we arrived that we were the only brits staying here and the hotel caters for the spanish. The staff couldnt understand english and neither could the kids club so my kids hated ithe fact they couldnt do kids club all week!!. outside pool area was overcrowded and noisy. couldnt get a sunbed as the spanish reserve the sunbeds with their towels too!! Food was excellent but you had to pay for all drinks at lunch and dinner on the full board package (even water)and the waiters could not speak any english apart from please and thankyou. the spaniards would push my children out of the way to get to the food. They have absolutely no manners. They were arrogant and rude. The beach was rubbish with grit instead of sand. Rooms clean and tidy although bed really uncomfortable and tv no english channels. We had to go out all the time as nothing to do at the hotel due to the language barrier and not being able to get a sun bed! What started out as a bargain ended up costing us much more than we anticipated due to hving to go out all the time,
My kids couldnt even get on the table tennis all week due to the spanish kids hogging it and not giving anyone else a go!
Would not stay here again due to the fact it caters for the spanish and the staff can not speak or understand english. Which is fair enough but I will make sure I research any future hotels from now on to check if english is widely spoken,
One last thing the village and sorrounding area to the hotel is horrible and not at all appealing which really lets this hotel down. You defo need a car so glad we did otherwise it might have felt like a prison sentence at this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Having only booked the hotel 48 hours before arriving, I didn't know what to expect other than the hotel looked nice & offered a good range of services.

Yes, the hotel is quite remote, located a mile from the closest village. Yes, you might need a car for the transfer from the airport. Yes, the hotel is quiet and caters for families & the older generation. But, for me, that was the charm & exactly what I wanted - A safe, relaxing, quiet but yet fun environment for my wife & two children.

And the best thing about the hotel?! A complete lack of British people moaning about everything! Whilst communication wasn't always easy, when in Spain.... Deal with it!

From start to finish, the staff made our holiday relaxing. An easy check-in & lovely views from the balcony of a clean, functional room. No English TV?! Do the Spanish moan that they can't get Spanish TV in London?? If you want Sky, stick to Benidorm or Lloret de Mar, you're welcome to it.

Our all-inclusive package gave us three meals per day, where the buffet style presentation gave a nice range & plentiful supply of foods to suit all the family. The staff in the restuarant & bar were courteous and efficient, supplying drinks & ice creams throughout the day.

The garden & pool areas of the hotel are well maintained, clean and safe. A large swimming pool, a childrens pool & spa pool were permanently supervised by a lifeguard, and the Childrens Club (multi-lingual staff) and on-site playground gave my children a good variety of ways to amuse themselves without being reliant on their parents.

In the evenings, the large bar & entertainment area were a nice, civilised place to spend time with your family, basically the Spanish socialising with no 'beered-up Brits' rolling around.

Yes, the beach could be better, but with three pools, a playground and a childrens club, it didn't really matter and I've encountered far worse beaches elsewhere.

Overall, I consider the hotel to be a great 'find' & perhaps I shouldn't post a review for fear of encouraging UK travellers to try it, but credit where credit is due & I look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

A large, elegant hotel, splendid garden and direct access to small beach. Excellent bar facilities. All rooms have sea view. Noise well under control. Does look at first as it deserves its 4 star status.
You should however be aware of two bad experiences we (and others we spoke to) had:
- food lukewarm at best, never hot.
- an nauseating (sewers) smell in some (bath)rooms that they didn't seem to be able to cope with.
Not something to go back to.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I would like to write about my experience with Hotel Amettla Mar located in Urb. Roques Daurades Cala Bon Capó 43860 L’Ametlla de Mar.
I was there in June, 10th-19th, 2009, with my son of 9 years and a group of friends (families) with their children, in total, 25 people out of which 12 where children with ages between 5 to 16 years.
The hotel is shown as 4*, but it is far away from this quality, at least in regards to the amenities they provide.
This is a hotel for old people, mainly retired, or for families with very small children (1-2 year).
Although the manager was listening to our complaints and she promised to do her best to solve some of them, she was, unfortunately not so empowered to do so.
The swimming pool should have had a bar opened, the sun beds were without umbrellas, we couldn't play too much in the swimming pool, not to disturb the old ladies sitting around.Also, no music was on and although she promised to start it, someone was keep shutting down the installation.
The beach was not very clean and with small rocks, same in the water. Ok, she said that the beach was not owned by the hotel, but the village City Hall was responsible for cleaning it. In my view, I don't care who is responsible to clean, just to have clean places and enjoy my vacation, not to go away from the hotel, just to find better ways of spending my time which should have been one for resting and enjoying the time with my son and my friends. I would've hated this hotel if was alone there, only with my son and husband.
The rooms were not very large, but the view was great. Also, the cleanliness was not very good and the TV had only few programs in Spanish, CNN and Eurosport being hardly to be watched.
We also requested to have some table arranged for our group for evening, but the restaurant Chef refused.
There are lot of other not so nice things to be mentioned, but simply said, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people that want to have fun and good bath in the see. You also need a car to go there.
The city is kind of village and I don't have much to say.
They have some small shops, but don't have variety of products in there.

Been to RV Hotel Ametlla Mar? Share your experiences!