“Magical” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Domus de Maria B&B and Inns
Potomac, Maryland
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We spent three nights at Spartivento in late September. It was magical. A truly luxury boutique hotel - more like a private residence -- set in a 19th century lighthouse, in a nature preserve, high on a cliff overlooking a turquoise sea. Intimate, romantic, evocative. It could have been a movie set. And the service was equal to the physical structure and the amazing setting. Fillipo, the general manager, Giovani the chef, and Leonardo their colleague who served us most of our meals, all had a remarkable ability to be attentive and engaging without being obsequious. The meals prepared by Giovani were superlative. All of this exactly as it should be at a high end property. Indeed, Spartivento is really more a high end villa rental with staff than a boutique hotel. The word "unique" is all to often overused, but it this instance it truly fits. We have traveled all over the world and stayed at many of the world's "top" hotels -- Spartivento is number one. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I can't recommend the Faro (Lighthouse) enough. It is difficult to explain how magnificent this place is, you cannot fault it starting from the location, staff, views... A truly unique place. We are loyal fans, we've stayed here few times in the last 3 years. During each visit we've felt like royalty - staff is incredibly well trained, dedicated and always willing to accommodate any requests. My husband and I fell completely in love with the views, the location..and as explained above the service.. I can't stress how impeccable it is. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks and snacks served whenever you require. Food is of course exquisite. Chef Giovanni's skills are truly highlighted especially during dinner time - simply divine. We were lucky enough to be able to celebrate our wedding reception here this year and what an event it was, all of our guests fell in love with this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Getting to Faro Capo Spartivento is interesting unless your rental car happens to be a 4WD Hummer. There's a winding, rough dirt road through a national park. It's even more fun at night without any lights! But it gives you a sense of the remoteness of the location. Perched atop a cliff on the southernmost tip of Sardinia, this 200 year old converted lighthouse is a unique offering.

What we liked:
- The Location: Remoted. Rugged. Stunning.
- The Hotel: It's a 200 year old converted lighthouse still used by the Italian navy as a functional lighthouse. Brilliant.
- The Staff: Italian through and through they are polite and discreet in their style of service. Each time you enter the main dining/lounge area downstairs its empty. Two seconds later one of the staff would magically appear ready to attend to your needs.
- The Room: We received an upgrade due to it being our honeymoon to one of the large rooms looking out towards the sea. Open the windows onto the infinity pool and sea beyond. Relax in the large ROUND bed. Enjoy the top quality toilettries.
- The Pool: It's an infinity pool in front of a lighthouse perched on a cliff. Enough said.
- The Private Dining: There's even a private chef to prepare food and cook up a feast at night.
- The Beach: There's a great little beach about a 10min walk from the hotel.

What we didn't like:
- The Price: At EUR800 per night it was reasonable for the room we stayed in (given the hotel) but we had a look at the room we were supposed to get (before the upgrade). Not really worth that much to face out the back in a smaller room.
- The Access: Fun once but a little painful everytime you want to go exploring to drive up and down the dirt road and just a little dangerous at night as there are no lights (other than the sweeping beams from the lighthouse).
- The Other Guests: Given how small the hotel is, if the other guests are twats then it can quickly ruin your holiday.
- The Atmosphere: The location and hotel are amazing. The staff are ridiculously curteous. Everything is top notch. Yet there's something missing. An indescribable atmosphere that just isn't there. It's almost too formal for a holiday destination.

Overall, an amazing hotel in a unique location. Definately worth staying at least one night while travelling in Sardinia just so you can send your friends a photo and watch their jaws drop!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
kiev
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I've been in 52 countries. In the 500 hotels. This - the number one

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My wife and I were married at the end of April in 2011, and had planned an amazing honeymoon in Italy beginning June 1. Unfortunately, our trip was not to be and in fact I am writing from my wife's bedside in our hospital as she recovers from her surgery just a few hours ago. After suffering from severe internal pains just two weeks after our wedding, she was diagnosed with a sensitive internal problem which would require surgery. We cancelled everything immediately, and after explaining the situation and providing medical documents etc to all of our air carriers and hotels in numerous locations in Italy as well as a hotel in Paris- all provided me with refunds- with the exception of this hotel. I booked this through an agency called 'Charming Sardinia', and I must be honest that they were very helpful and did acquire a 50% return of my pre-paid room fees which totaled 2850 euros. I was not aware of a 'zero' tolerance refund policy, and I realize this hotel is quite small, but they did have a 25 day advance notice of my emergency cancellation, so I contacted them directly to see if they had been able to rebook my room and subsequently return the rest of my deposit. Unfortunately, the hotel would not reply to me whatsoever, and the Charming Sardinia agency could not answer whether of not they were able to rebook my room, merely that they would not return my fees. Anyways, I think it is important for anyone booking such an expensive and 'elite' vacation spot to understand this hotel's very very strict policy and lack of concern for our circumstances. Should they change their mind and decide to repay me after this post, I will happily re-post a message to that extent, but that doesn't seem likely at this point. I am rating their service as 'terrible' as they will not communicate with me despite the fact that I am a paying customer, and I am rating their 'value' as terrible as I have paid 1425 euro and they will not respond to me!

Room Tip: n/a
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

This must be the ultimate romantic experience. The renovated lighthouse is so special, it only has 6 rooms and is very intimate. The view from the terrace and the rooms is breathtaking. You feel like a top VIP just by being there.

There is no restaurant as such, dinner is prepared at a certain time for all guests and the quality is excellent. The location is very remote but this makes it even more special. The renovation was done with so much attention to detail and taste that wherever you look you will love everything about it. We only stayed 2 nights and as a farewell we had the most beautiful sunrise.

Alessio the Manager and Roberto took such good care of us. Staff doesn’t speak much English but somehow it fits into this magical place.

2 beautiful sandy beaches are just minutes away by foot but we enjoined just being by the pool and loving the view.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Faro Capo Spartivento? Share your experiences!