“One of the best in north east Milan” 4 of 5 stars

Starhotels Grand Milan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Varese 23, 21047 Saronno, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Saronno
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
“One of the best in north east Milan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Having visited Malpenza, Busto Arzizio, Castellanza, and Garbagnate Milanese on numerous occasions, and used a different hotel on almost every occasion, the Starhotel Grand Milan is definitely the best. Very corporate, but modern facilities throughout make this a great hotel to stop over in, whether for a single night or longer.

Parking is limited outside the reception and if not in a “hotel reserved” space to need to start feeding the meter of the local commune after one hour. Underground parking at available at twelve euro a day.

Internet is free and has no "log-ins" but it was somewhat temperamental.

Breakfast was normal Italian fare. Can’t say it is was “fantastic,” but equally there was nothing detrimental.

If your budget permits, and this location is right for whatever you’re intending, the Starhotel Grand Milan is one of the best in the north-western quarter of the city. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
Moscow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Quite nice hotel in a small town Saronno,Italy, on the way between Malpensa airport and Milan, located near the railroad station...This perfect location is a main value of the hotel, I suppose - 20 min. by express train- and you're in the international airport Malpensa..or 30 min. by local train - and you're in the center of Milan, at the Cadorna station..And then by metro - wherever you want.From another advantages of this hotel I can notify the very quiet place, opposite a typical italian pizzeria with my favorite pizza 'calzone farcito' ( the closed one ), good wine, calm atmosphere...The room service is acceptable, anyway in my room all the towels in the bathroom were putted in order, rubbish was thrown away and a small chocolate appeared on the table..Breakfast is a typical for Europe, nothing special...Bar with a certain number of alcohol drinks to relax in the evening..The main disadvantage I discovered was the absense of the 'relax' center - swimming pool, sauna, massage...but they promise to work on this matter ..so, as you can see from my notes, the general impression is quite positive, let's say 4+...hope you'll share this imagination..regards..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Agostino B, General Manager at Starhotels Grand Milan, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear alex_mow

Thank you so much for choosing Starhotels Grand Milan for your stay in Saronno and for sharing your feedback.
I am greatful for your kind comments and suggestions to other travellers.
As you have mentioned, we are working on a nice relax center and very soon we are going to open the new SPA centre with pool, solarium, souna, steam bath, emotional shower and a gym.
I hope that we can look forword to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

My warmest regards.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

As many other guests of this hotel I am staying here regularly because of the proximity to the offices and companies in the Saronno/Origgio area.

Overall, there are a lot of positives about this hotel:

The rooms are of a functional but appealing modernistic European design, fairly quiet, and all of the room gadgets work as one would expect - regrettably the AC is switched of during winter and the heating appears to be on even if the room's master switch is off, which during the legally regulated non-cooling season renders the rooms often to warm for my taste. But the rooms have windows, thus getting the room cooled down while going for dinner is possible - off note: switch the heating OFF or it will try to heat your room and all of the neighborhood.

The hotel has two major flaws:
First, the front desk is the most inefficient affair that you could possible imagine! Every morning there is an endless line for checkout with people regularly missing or delaying their transfers because the hotel is incapable of organizing their front desk in way that a check out would take no time at all for most patrons (by providing a preprinted bill for all scheduled check outs under the door of the room during the night and a key drop box). Here, they don't even take a credit card imprint upon check in, despite the fact that check in takes forever also, and during check out it takes forever to do whatever they do on their computers plus the constant chatter that's going on with all kinds of people, which appears to have NOTHING to do with attending to the customer on the other side of the front desk who is felt actively ignored and alienated.

As the person trying to check out or wanting anything from anybody you always have the feeling that you are a. major nuisance and b. not the reason why the staff shows up at this place. This, is just very unfortunate!!!

Second, considering the fact that this is a new hotel, the gym is nothing more than a joke. It's two guest rooms on the second floor that have only couple of cardio things it them AND have restricted access hours. Absolutely, totally insufficient considering the fact that many patrons stay here regularly and long. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep up your work out routine when staying at the Starhotel!

Finally, while the breakfast buffet is nothing to rave about but still ok, the breakfast wait staff appears to be under strictest orders that any public demonstration of emotion is verboten.

While at first sight, one might consider the service-inclusive pricing of Italian hotels, restaurants, and actually most things for that matter as a relief from figuring out how much to tip, it makes me think that the overt lack of the connection between providing service to the individual customer and being rewarded for it leads to this regrettable atmosphere in which a dining room without customers must seem like the best deal for the wait staff. If paid the same moneys regardless of how many coffees and smiles you serve, why would anybody be eager to do so?

Overall, this could be an excellent value for money hotel product. But even if you had a completely pleasant and uneventful stay in terms of room product, your last and lasting memory of the hotel will always be what a pain it has been to check out and what a pain it has been to get your coffee in the morning. If management cared, both items should be easy to address, which would leave the need to invest into a proper gym.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Finke,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and for choosing the Starhotels Grand Milan during your trip to Saronno. Any suggestions or opinions related to our service and standards is highly taken in consideration and give us the opportunity to improve it.
I was extremely concerned to read your disapponting stay with us and I am only too sorry that your expectations were not met.
I was also sorry to read your comments about the breakfast service: I apologize for it, but please be assured that this does not correspond to the usual context in which our guests stay.
Regarding the gym, you are absolutely right. Temporary we had to close the gym in order to complete the SPA with pool, souna, steam bath, solarium, emotional shower and a real gym. We hope very soon everything will be open for our customer.
I would be greatful for the opportunity to speak with you to discuss all this matters further, maybe during your next stay if you will give us the another chance to prove our services and professionality.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly here at the Hotel for any needs.
I look forword to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012 via mobile

I stay at this hotel once a month. This is a perfect choice for business travellers as the hotel is very modern clean and with good facilities. It is really hard to get some food if you arrive at 11pm or later...a hotel of this level should have 24 hour room service. Other than this I have only good things to say. The people at reception are usually very friendly and professional!

• Stayed April 2012
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I have stayed at the property several times, but this last time will probably be my last. I stayed there for an extended period of time for business so you tend to notice things that you would normally overlook when you stay for a short period of time. I will do my best to describe the good and bad in detail since there are some extremes on both sides.

Pro:
-I have found the rooms are clean and the housekeeping staff has always been quite pleasant (not that this should matter, but in contrast to the rest of the staff...it was nice to see some smiling faces now and then)
-Front desk seem to be 90% competent and speak in many languages
-location is walking distance from the train station and a couple really good, fast pizza places
-breakfast was very good and a nice selection
-this is one of the newest hotels in the area, so it has some nice asthetic qualities

Cons:
-The front desk employees are easily agitated, sarcastic, rude, and unhelpful. I needed some help with directions and got zero help due to the fact that the employee was probably unhappy that she was awoken from her sleep behind the barrier. I've seen many airline crews check in during my time there and they were also treated poorly even after coming in weary from travel. I had dinner nearby and overheard some other conversations about the cranky desk receptionists as well, which confirmed my suspicion that these people are unprofessional. One of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had at a hotel.
-I ordered room service (pasta and salad)..after an hour passed, I finally decided to call to see when I might be expecting dinner. It was obvious that they completely forgot about me. Instead of re-making the food, the salad came soggy and pasta re-heated and congealed as though they just threw it in a microwave or oven with the entire plate hot.
-I required internet for work. I asked about this when I checked in and was willing to pay for it. The internet service was free on this particular visit to the hotel so that was a bonus. However, when the internet went down, I asked when it would be up and received rude attitude with several reminders that the front desk employee was "not a technician". They coldly mentioned that the technicians would be addressing the situation (this was a Thursday evening). I left to find internet all weekend and when I asked again on Sunday, I was treated even worse and they told me that the technicians do not work on the weekends. Internet was required for work, so this was a small problem for me. The larger problem was the attitude and lack of information.
-The walls are very thin in this hotel so I could hear the neighbor's phone conversations. Ironically, he was also needing the internet for work so I could hear him having heated conversations with the hotel staff about both the internet AND the room service. I could hear people in the hallways as though they were inside of the room.
-I was "upgraded" to one of the more premier rooms they offer. All of the rooms are exactly the same, save an extra chair or wood floors. If they tell you that the room is larger, it is by a factor of 1 square meter or so. Don't let them rip you off on price. This is european "large" size so keep that in mind (they must be using a fish eye lens to take pictures of the rooms).
-The last time I stayed I had a typical room, and could barely breathe at night due to what I think was the air system/carpet. This time, I requested a wooden floor room which seemed to help.
-If you like to exercise while you are traveling, do not get too excited about the advertised "gym". What they have done is taken the furniture out of a room and stuck a stationary bike and treadmill in there. There is a section of free weights, and a decline crunch bench. If you are lucky, the second room will be open which offers another treadmill and bike. I hate to be so picky, but this is not a gym and if there are 3 people in there it is crowded.
-Breakfast is good, but the rest of the menu is average and very expensive. Go anywhere else in Saronno for dinner if you can.
-The TV's are smaller than the typical computer monitor...maybe 15"? Again, not a big deal if you aren't there long. But, for long trips it gets old and there are about 20 channels

There was ONE receptionist who was consistently helpful. If you must stay here, I hope you meet her. I forget her name, but she has glasses and she will stand out as being one of the only nice ones there.

Room Tip: wooden floors if you have allergies, otherwise don't pay for any "room upgrades" since...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Agostino B, General Manager at Starhotels Grand Milan, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear SpartyOn127,

Firstly, we would like to apologize to you and to all our readers for the delay in our reply. As the negative aspects you have pointed out are many, we wanted to take the necessary time to investigate, with all the hotel departments, to better understand the reason for your dissatisfaction.

We thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts although we were quite surprised to see so many comments listed as “cons”. As you had mentioned, you have been our guest in the past, for long stays as well, however nothing similar was ever brought to our attention, on the contrary. We are glad that you consider our staff 90% competent, this is very important to us, but we fail to understand how this positive opinion is immediately lowered to “ the worst customer service..”; concepts such as ability and courtesy go hand in hand in our profession and we strive to keep it that way. In regards to the room service, we have spoken with our restaurant manager and we confirm that the dinner order was mistakenly forgotten, we apologize for this mishap. Our chef immediately prepared the meal following your call and guaranteed the utmost quality. Internet service: it was an actual problem during your stay but was instantly seen to and solved within the day’s end. As you know, but did not mentioned, this issue and its consequences to your job were dealt by the Hotel Management with you and your company privately. We sincerely regret the inconveniences caused by the lack of the connection and understand your frustration during its outage.
The accommodations are in fact similar however do change in size and offer further amenities. We feel your comment as “ a rip off” is not appropriate as a definition of an upgrade. Since the hotel’s opening, 5 years now, our guests have always complimented us on the rooms and their comfort and the reviews on platforms such as Tripadvisor confirm this. Nevertheless we appreciate any comment/opinion, negative or positive it may be, that can help us improve our service and we thank you for your suggestions.
We would have gladly assisted you in any way and regret not having had the possibility to do so during your visit. Although your stay was long, we were not aware of your dismay and come to realize to its extent only through your review. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again to Starhotels Grand Milan in the near future.

Best Regards
Solaro, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Simply wonderful. Beautifully-appointed, spacious, meticulously clean rooms. Very helpful staff. Excellent restaurant. And the smart but comfortable lobby makes for a very civilised yet friendly place to meet up with friends and family. Extremely handy for the station at Saronno, with direct trains to Malpensa and Milan itself,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised at the top-notch quality of this hotel. Not sure what I was expecting but I was very pleasantly surprised!

Rooms were very nicely appointed and spacious. Food was good and the service was fine too. The only negative (and maybe this is a positive for some) is that it was kind of a cold, impersonal place. I'm nitpicking though.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Starhotels Grand Milan? Share your experiences!