Stayed 2 nights at this incredible hotel during our October trip to Yunnan. It’s not difficult to see why it’s been a No.1 hotel in Shangri-La on TripAdvisor.
The hotel at about 3,300m above sea level is next to the Songzanlin Monastery (a large Tibetan monastery). Originally a Tibetan home converted to a hotel with all the mod cons including free wi-fi which worked very well throughout the hotel. Décor is Tibetian, warm & cosy.
We had a superior king room at the top floor with a great view of the surrounding area. The wood panelled room is spacious, clean, well appointed. A humidifier was also provided in the room. Guests were encouraged to leave it running while sleeping – to help overcome breathing problems that may be caused by high altitude.
We had dinner at the hotel restaurant on our 2nd night stay. It was a much better choice than the previous night’s disappointing dinner at a local Chinese restaurant recommended by our guide. The hotel restaurant offers Tibetian cuisine as well as some Western style dishes, and a limited selection of wine by the glass.
Breakfast is also served at the same restaurant, buffet style. Hot breakfast (included for the price) such as bacon and egg is cooked to order.
Daily afternoon tea consisting of fresh & healthy food is offered at the courtyard. It is very peaceful and relaxing and the weather was perfect when we were there.
Service in this hotel was spot on from the moment we arrived. They offered each guest a pair of soft sole shoes to be worn inside the building and ginger tea to help combat negative effect of altitude. Friendly staff warmly greeted us and helped to take our luggage up several flights of stairs (no lifts).
Staff at the restaurant (breakfast and dinner) were very welcoming, friendly & helpful.
- Also Known As:
- Songtsam Hotel Shangri La County
- Songtsam Hotel Lugu Shangri-La County, China - Yunnan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Songtsam Lodge at Shangri-la (Songtsam Lugu Hotel) is the flagship lodge of Songtsam Lodges - a series of luxury boutique lodges built in pristine and beautiful locations in Yunnan.Songtsam Shangri-la (3,290m) is situated right next to the Songzanlin Monastery, the largest Tibetan monastery in Yunnan province. The lodge is housed in a traditional Tibetan dwelling within this typical, self-sufficient Tibetan farming village where the founder of Songtsam, Baima Dorjie, spent his childhood. Songtsam Shangro-la has hosted thousands of intrepid travelers from all over the world in the past 10 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip DaoDao, Tingo, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Songtsam Hotel Lugu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.