As others have mentioned already, the location of the hotel and the building is amazing. Sits by itself overlooking the temples. Rooms are great, and the atmosphere is really nice.
We were not so impressed with the restaurant. It is quite expensive for what it is. Went for local cuisine one day, and western the next. The local cuisine is not much different from what you would get in a restaurant elsewhere, and so struggle to justify the huge price premium. The western meal (pasta) come uncooked. The Western F&B manager explained it was due to the high altitude, and he offered that we did not pay and brought a new portion properly cooked in a pressure cooker. Fair. The next day, we had the same problem, and the same F&B manager offered the same solution.
When I arrived on the first night, I had problems with the altitude (huge headache) and got a small bag of oxygen to inhale. Was then charged a hefty price for the pleasure. I am sure that other guests have the same problem, and would have expected that to be part of the price. Especially since local shops charge 10% of the price for a bottle of oxygen.
I liked the hotel building and location. But the experience left me feeling ripped off. It does not justify the premium. For the price, I would have expected better quality service and food. I hope they will get there one day. But at current the local hotels are not that much worse and a lot cheaper.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Shangri-La Hills, Songtsam Retreat, a member of the Mgallery Collection, offers exceptional boutique accommodation in a distinctly Tibetan Style. Boasting a breathtaking location in this beautifully remote area of China, unique architecture and stunning design, the retreat comprises 72 rooms and suites. Songtsam Retreat is located 25 minutes from Diqing Airport and 5 minutes from Songzanlin Monastery. It offers spectacular views, 2 restaurants offering superb dining, a day spa;Linka Spa by L'Occitane, boutique shop, takeout shop and a meditation/yoga room. The hotel is pleased to provide various activities in and around the hotel for you to have a truly memorable stay and ensure you experience all that Shangri-La, also known as the ‘Eden in Dream’ has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, ACCOR and TripOnline SA so you can book your Songtsam Retreat at Shangri la - MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Songtsam Retreat At Shangri-La Hotel Shangri-La County
- Songtsam Retreat At Shangri La - MGallery Collection Shangri-La County, China - Yunnan