Our family of 4 were greeted with warm tea and cookies upon arrival, a much needed respite in the sub zero conditions, and were quickly ushered to our rooms. Our room came with a balcony facing the monastery, a most tranquil and wonderful view. The room was very cold but the heater was able to warm it up in less than an hour. The staff was most wonderful, they offered to light up the fireplace (with no extra costs) for extra warmth and even brought ginger tea (or warm milk) during turndown service - how thoughtful of the hotel! Our room had a little seating area facing the fireplace. The minibar (consisting of soft drinks) was also complimentary. The bed was very comfortable and kept us warm.
We had dinner twice in the restaurant during our stay - we were tired of Chinese and Tibetan food and had western cuisine instead. They do have an excellent repertoire of Tibetan dishes though. The service staff at the restaurant were excellent hosts, going out of their way to see to our dietary constraints. They also have an extensive wine list. We met Patrick the GM of the hotel who is most hospitable, and enjoyed our chats with him. He has spent more than 4 years in the area, and offered travel suggestions for our itinerary the next day. Patrick is extremely thoughtful, the next morning he offered to cater to our diet in the evening so that we will not be limited to the same main dishes (for western cuisine). He and his team went out of their way to prepare for a dinner of salmon, roast chicken and a most delicious barley risotto!
The breakfast spread was limited but sufficient and delicious. There was a small noodle soup station, egg station and the rest of the spread was largely filled with bread, pastries and bacon.
Do note that the hotel closes for about 2 months and reopens in early March. We will definitely be back in this hotel the next time we are here, and highly recommends to anyone who is looking for a comfortable, luxury hotel. You will be in the good hands of Patricl and his team!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Shangri-La Hills, Songtsam Retreat, a member of the Mgallery Collection, offers exceptional boutique accommodation in a distinctly Tibetan Style. Boasting a breathtaking location in this beautifully remote area of China, unique architecture and stunning design, the retreat comprises 72 rooms and suites. Songtsam Retreat is located 25 minutes from Diqing Airport and 5 minutes from Songzanlin Monastery. It offers spectacular views, 2 restaurants offering superb dining, a day spa;Linka Spa by L'Occitane, boutique shop, takeout shop and a meditation/yoga room. The hotel is pleased to provide various activities in and around the hotel for you to have a truly memorable stay and ensure you experience all that Shangri-La, also known as the ‘Eden in Dream’ has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and ACCOR so you can book your Songtsam Retreat at Shangri la - MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Songtsam Retreat At Shangri-La Hotel Shangri-La County
- Songtsam Retreat At Shangri La - MGallery Collection Shangri-La County, China - Yunnan