We stayed at this hotel for two nights after staying three nights at the Lijiang Crowne Plaza. The Songtsam retreat is nice but considering it's only three years old it is already showing signs of wear and tear (scratch marks on the wooden floors, etc.). It does not compare to the Lijiang Crowne Plaza. Our room was nice but not luxurious and mattresses are on an elevated wooden platform (which could be dangerous for older guests -- especially if they get up at night, etc.). The hotel is located at 3300 meters, so this is probably not an ideal location for senior citizens anyway. Rooms have fireplaces but if you want a fire, it's only free on the first night. Additional nights cost 100 RMB (for conservation purposes). Considering it was very cold at night in November, we were a bit surprised. There is heating in the room but we still felt rather cold at night.The hotel is nicely decorated with Tibetan handicrafts but overall it does not feel very luxurious. For example, in the bathroom, the mirror's wooden frame has large screws that should not be visible to the naked eye. Hotel staff are very nice but the vast majority of them do not speak any English at all and those that do, have a very weak command. You have to speak very slowly and use very simple words. Management needs to invest in some English lessons for its employees -- after all, this is an international chain hotel and it's not cheap. Some of the employees have dirty uniforms as did some of the kitchen staff around the buffet (white coats with lots of food stains, etc.). Most of the hotel windows were very dirty and looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time. There is a nice view of the back of the Songzalin monastery and there is a path from the hotel that leads to this impressive monastery where you can spend several hours watching Tibatan monks and pilgrims going about their activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Shangri-La Hills, Songtsam Retreat, a member of the Mgallery Collection, offers exceptional boutique accommodation in a distinctly Tibetan Style. Boasting a breathtaking location in this beautifully remote area of China, unique architecture and stunning design, the retreat comprises 72 rooms and suites. Songtsam Retreat is located 25 minutes from Diqing Airport and 5 minutes from Songzanlin Monastery. It offers spectacular views, 2 restaurants offering superb dining, a day spa;Linka Spa by L'Occitane, boutique shop, takeout shop and a meditation/yoga room. The hotel is pleased to provide various activities in and around the hotel for you to have a truly memorable stay and ensure you experience all that Shangri-La, also known as the ‘Eden in Dream’ has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and ACCOR so you can book your Songtsam Retreat at Shangri la - MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Songtsam Retreat At Shangri-La Hotel Shangri-La County
- Songtsam Retreat At Shangri La - MGallery Collection Shangri-La County, China - Yunnan