“perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

absolutely amazing.
we came here for our honeymoon in september
and stayed in one of the rooms without a pool
it was stunning - very clean, lovely decoration, sauna and jacuzzi in the bathroom! huge bed, tv (though you probably wont want to watch it!)
the air conditioner isnt intrusive, though dont forget to check the mosquito screens if you'd prefer to open a window instead.
and the view was beautiful - we were facing right out onto the pool and restaurants with a lovely garden.
if you happen to be sat out on the patio at night be sure to look out for the tiny terratorial owl that seems to spend the evenings on the balconies - he's only about the size of a blackbird but has a terribly amusing expression.
there is so much wildlife even just in the resort - interesting lizards, large bats, the owl, funny little birds who come for a swim first thing in the morning and, of course, the very sweet dog who lives there.
mosquitos can be a problem especially after a storm but just check the screens and use the repellent and you'll be fine.

the food in the restaurants isnt that great but is more than made up for by the perfect service
all the staff speak english but were very kind about our mangled attempts at greek
breakfast is a sort of buffet arrangement, all of it lovely but does close rather early for such idle people as myself (my husband made it every day though so its quite doable)
i've since developed a taste for yoghurt and honey
i liked that you can eat out on the terrace near the pool and they are very accomodating if you want to eat somewhere else or require anything special.
at least one day ask for the room service breakfast - definitely worth the 5 euro charge.
i very much wanted to praise the waiter vassilis (hope i've spelt this right) who was just perfect, attentive without being intrusive, very polite and just made our stay so much more enjoyable!

the whole atmosphere is incredibly relaxed.
its only metres from the beach and you can ask to have your cocktails or food brought out to you!
we very much enjoyed wandering along to roda and acharavi its only about a mile or so though you can easily get a taxi.
one thing i'd suggest is stocking up on coffee or tea for your room from one of the shops since there are only two provided.

the spa staff were the stars of the show! we both had treatments in the rather beautiful underground spa and i've never been so relaxed.
they're so friendly and seem to know instinctively when you want to chat and when you just want to be quiet. i very much recommend the chocolate wrap!

the first day we arrived there was a terrible thunderstorm. high winds, lightening and buckets of rain! the restaurant had to be closed which we were slightly worried about at first but the way the staff dealt with it was impeccable, no fuss and with some help from some of us moved the chairs and tables to the bar and set up there. the service was spectacular even under such difficult circumstances and everyone had a rather marvelous time.
also the way they dealt with the blackouts was flawless, with no fuss they procured a generator and normal service resumed.
i was so impressed with how well they dealt with this.

the strawberries for the daquiris go fast though! so if you're interested get there quick. they were also very obliging about making non alcoholic cocktails if you ask and explain (its apparently very odd to request virgin mojitos!)

and dont forget to check out greek night! we unfortunately missed it since it was booked up before we'd even thought about it
but if you head down into roda a few of the hotels do them - totally unique experience and well worth doing.

the only real 'problem' was the coach transfer which took nearly two hours - its a nice way to see the island but if coaches aren't your thing i'd very much suggest getting a taxi for 50 euros or so which gets you there in about 40 minutes.

Room Tip: whatever they give you will be perfect.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Ok well here's a funny thing, I have read so many reviews on this gorgeous hotel and they were so spot on, that I didnt feel I would have anything to add. But as I sat here looking at holidays for next year, I find myself wondering if I will enjoy and relax anywhere more than the Restia Suites. I have browsed through some of the recent reviews and felt I simply had to add my bit. I have been fortunate in my life, to date, to have travelled extensivley and stayed in some of the finest hotels and some flea pits, so I do feel qualified to say that pound for pound this little gem of a hotel holds its own with the best of them with ease.
Ok lets keep this real, it is not the best in the world, it is not a Four Seasons group hotel, maybe not even a Sandals resort and the cost did frighten me as we don't normally spend that much. Yes, the drinks can be a bit pricy (depending how much you drink of course) but no more so than any European holiday resort these days. What this is, is a small family run high class relaxing retreat.We had a room with no pool, and we were glad, it was cheaper and actually the main pool area was so quiet and relaxing that we were happy to visit it most days, it was simply bliss, the pool and surrounding area was clean, comfortable and felt special, I have seldom relaxed that much around a hotel pool in my life. That said if we went again (and we will for sure) and could afford a pool room, then why not? I agree that if you are on honymoon or really value your privacy then do try and get a pool room that does not back onto the lane (its too small to call a road) as people on the occassional coach, dropping off and picking up can see over the wall / fence due to the height of coaches these days. I have some very good friends who were, lets say, caught in a loving embrace for this very reason (you know who you are!!)
The rooms are wonderful, clean, functional, well furinshed, fresh towels if you leave them in the bath, plenty of new soap shower gel etc, simpy no problem what so ever, and dare I say much higher standard than anywhere Greece has shown me in the past. The steam room was great and detoxed my skin a treat, sorting out the prickly heat that normally ruins my holidays (Thanks to charlotte for the tip) the jet bath added a bit of fun and luxury. During our stay we had tons of hot water and never had a problem with smelly drains or dodgy sockets, and as anyone who has stayed anywhere in Greece knows this is to be expected from time to time, not on this occasion, during our stay we simply could not fault the accomodation and found it first class. Tea and coffee were replenished daily.
Ok moving on the food, in my opinion it was very good we enjoyed every meal and found the standard extremely high. We did not try the gourmet restaurant as we felt we simply didnt need to. The food in the main restaurant was in our opinion fantastic, yes a little pricey but it was quality, and you get what you pay for. We did not find we had cheese with everything, and certainly did not think everything was covered in fat or oil, we loved it. I am not a fussy eater but my partner is and she enjoyed every meal we had there. We did not upgrade to half board and again were glad we didnt as we nipped out to Georges (10 minute walk) some nights which I must add is great for anything, especially fish. Breakfast was always delicious with plenty of variety to stop you getting bored. The lunch time menu could benefit from some smaller cheaper snacks, but hey the portions were big ! so what! we ate salad mostly at lunch time anyway, and I am certainly not going to complain about the portions being to big, as long as the quality is good, but yes, it might be an idea to add some smaller cheaper options as well.
The entetainmant is limited but the joy of this hotel is the fact that it is quiet and relaxing, if you want bingo, loud music and cabaret then go somewhere else. The entertainment consisted of a couple of different acoustic players which did not impose on your evening, but added a lovely atmoshphere.
The beach is ok, and just ok. The area controlled by the hotel is small and could be better, but its not bad enough to moan about, its just basic and quiet, I would have liked the sand to be raked over a couple of times a week, its not dirty but gets a bit weedy with some spikey bits that come off the nearby foliage and could do with freshening up a little bit to make it look a little more inviting. The beach itself goes for miles in both directions so if you want a bit of solitude you will find it easily. There are no crowds at the beach adjacent the hotel.

I was a serviceman in the British Forces for over twenty years, and therefore have bit of a thing for standards and professionalism. I can say hand on heart that the standards set by the staff at this hotel were without exception some of the best I have had the pleasure to experience. I dont really care where the staff are from, be it England or Greece, but how they act, how they look after me, how they talk to me, how clean they are, how competant they are. I simply could not fault a single one of them, The owners Joanna and Zafiris are very warm, honest and welcoming, they care about every detail and are very attentive and happy to stand and talk I have seldom found a more caring and professional couple. They have purposfully built and hand picked a team they can be extremley proud of. Wendy, Vasilies, Alex, Nikos, Sophia and Charlotte to name a few of the many staff, you are simply fantastic, dont change what you do or how you do it. All the staff were impeccably smart polite hard working, helpful and professional and will do everything in their power to make you feel welcome and spoilt. They wouldnt even let me carry a drink from the bar to the pool. The staff made it very special for us, and made us feel special and welcome. They are simply first class, and have the balance smack on. Not too stuffy so that you cant relax, not so laid back that they might as well not be there, and not in your face, Just a nod and one of the very hard working team would be at your table to take a drinks order! They do all they can to save you even having to get out of your chair.
Check out the health spa for a treat I had back massage and loved it. Dont take books there are loads in the library, Take your mozzy spray, and be prepared to get a bite or two. Very Highly recommeded if you want peace, quiet and excellent service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
March
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I had our 2nd visit to the Restia suites this year, after having our honeymoon and the best holiday of our lives the first time round (and between us we have travelled the whole world) we were slightly dubious of returning as we could not imagine it being as good as the first time round, but we were absolutely not disappointed. Joanna and Zafiris were the same warm, friendly and attentive owners they always were and could not do enough to ensure that all of the guests were well looked after, even taking time out to drive myself and my husband to visit his fathers lovely hotel in Sidari - you may think that as the the owners of the hotel they have an obligation to be friendly and polite but they went over and above the call of duty and made us feel like we were friends staying at their home. All the staff at the resort are wonderful, particuarly Charlotte, it was refreshing again to meet such a professional young lady who effortlessly combined offering a personal waitress service at the same time as chatting to you and asking about how your day was - again not an essential part of their role but again - but it was important to her, and to the whole team to ensure you were having the best time you could have had and taking a genuine interest. Everybody that works at Restia Suites should be very proud of themselves. The resort is as beautiful this year as it was last year, beautiful rooms, beautiful weather - delicious food! Thank you once again to all at Restia Suites for making the working year worth it when we check with you, we sincerely hope to see you all soon. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room with a pool! Heaven!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

we had looked at restia suites 2 years ago but we are always nervous of brand new hotels and the problems that can arise when hotels first open.what a stupid decision as we now feel we could have been in holiday heaven so much sooner.
this place really does what is says on the tin.the rooms are nothing short of spectacular with a huge bathroom fitted with walk in shower/sauna and a whirlpool bath for 2.Add to this queen size four poster bed,flat screen tv,mini bar etc etc and that there are only 30 rooms in an out of the way location you may think this is perfection.you would be wrong.if you have booked a private pool room then one step onto the patio and things only get better.
The private gardens consist of your normal table and chairs on your patio with the added bonus of a superb self cleaning pool,double day bed and well tendered garden all of which is totally private should you wish to lock yourself away for a week or two.
The one thing we found hard to get used to at first is that all guests are english and up to 50 per cent of the staff are english all be it that they now live on corfu.The owners zafiris and joanna pride themselves in going out of there way to provide a perfect holiday retreat.

A few points you may find helpful,

Firstly,the hotel is a fair way from the airport as other people have mentioned.the thomson bus takes up to two hours via the scenic route.If you want to arrive in less than 45 minutes get a taxi for around 60 euros one way.after contacting restia before we arrived joanna booked a taxi to meet us on arrival.
On the subject of meals.breakfast provides everything you need whether hot or cold dishes.The only thing we found hard to adapt to was the fact that breakfast does not start till 8.30am.As we are early rises (5.30-6am) we usually found ourselves taking a stroll along the beach to pass time or to take coffee in our garden.here comes another tip.You will find tea and coffee provided but that you only get enough for 2 cups in total per day.if like ourselves you are addicted to coffee either bring a jar or take a trip to the local supermarket.
For evening meals you have the choice of either the main restaurant or the gourmet restaurant.Both serve a fairly wide choice of menu although we found after a couple of days eating out was a far better option.Due to the fact you are surrounded by ocean we found almost no fish or seafood on the menu.also,as this hotel caters only for british guests could not get my head around the fact that you cannot get chips with any meal or as an extra.

On the subject of eating out.there are a couple of tavernas within a ten minute walk just along the beach road.for a much larger choice acharavi is a five minute cab ride away or if renting a car try roda seafront or the lovely harbour of kassiopi which is about a 15 minute drive.If you are a fish lover the list is endless with seabass,sea bream,red snapper etc on every menu and prices much cheaper than the hotel

The hotel staff are some of the best we have met anywhere in the world.From wendy at breakfast,charlotte who looks after everyone in and around the bar and nikos in the restaurant.the reception staff are always friendly and professional and basically everyone from the owners to the cleaners would not be out of place at any 5 star hotel.

To sum up this place in one word,PARADISE.
if you are someone who enjoys 5 star quality in a peaceful out of the way location then this is the place for you.

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The best accomodation in Corfu by far. Excellent English-speaking staff who cannot do enough to help. Fantastic spa treatments. Nothing feels rushed. Everything is clean and to the highest standards. As to location - you are located at Almyros Beach, and really need a car or taxi to get into Acharavi, this would be my only negative (however the beautiful isolated location is one of the relaxing plus points!)

Room Tip: We had one of the suites with private pool -absolute heaven!
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

First of all, let me say that if you want a relaxed holiday, this is just the place for you. If you want excitement look elsewhere. Restia Suites has a lot of modern touches and styling but it is a chilled experience not a dynamic one. And why not ? Set in a quietish area, it is close to perfection in my view.

I have to say the design and thought that went into the layout (overall, rooms, positioning of everything) and detail was well up on most hotels (that's worldwide not just Greece). It really has been brilliantly thought through so there is hardly anything that is not in the perfect place or doesn't have the detailed design touches that just make everything so easy. Little things like the finishing around the pool, the use of space in the rooms and so on. The icing on the cake for me is the gardens. They could have saved money here but no, an array of grass and shrubs softens the whole environment and as the shrubs have matured, they have obscured the walls surrounding the hotel so it all feels very relaxed and natural (which of course it isnt - lawns and roses wouldn't last long without a lot more water than Corfu provides in the summer (!) and a lot of work by the gardeners but it feels that way). It all makes for a very relaxed environment. One reveiwer mentioned the Lindos Blu in Rhodes and, if you have been there, you will recognise some of the design touches here with the stonework and glass etc. There are similarities between the two hotels.

The rooms are very pleasant and spacious, particularly the bathroom area. You may or may not think that the expensive looking bath and steam room / shower are useful or not but there's no denying they add to the luxury feel. It does also mean the shower area is spacious. You also notice the relative quiet in the resort when you are in the room. Not much oustide noise to disturb the tranquility. The TV selection is limited if you're interested in that sort of thing but it did mean that I will always remember the Restia Suites when I hear "Moves like Jagger", Maroon 5's catchy tune that was forever on whenever i switched the TV on ! We also had an ipod dock and WiFi supplied which helps if you want to make calls and is also an easy way to charge your iphone if you have one ! I guess your choice as to whether to have a private pool or use the main pool depends on what you want but, having not had a private pool, we were quite happy and would probably opt for that again. The main pool always had beds available at all times of the day when we were there and the pool itself has very easy access and was relatively warn compared to some pools I've used in the past. If you go for a swim late in the day, you'll probably be joined by half the local bird population, popping along for a late afternoon drink ! Actually a very relaxing experience !

Just yards from the pool, over the road, is the beach. Some people won't be impressed. It's not Florida or the Carribbean but it is relatively natural and quiet and I found it fine. There are loungers and umbrellas provided. You will have to watch out for the very spiny little plants as there is a fair amount of "scrub" around. As I say, natural, and some will find this a pain, others won't mind a bit, in fact I enjoyed it.

Another thing some people will find a pain is the mosquitos. Let's be clear. If you're the sort of person who could walk naked, smeared in jam through a wasps nest with furiously waving arms and not get stung, you'll be fine. For the rest of us, you will get bitten. No matter how much DEET you use as an after shave or perfume and how much you plug in to the room and no matter how close you sit to the burning coils in the evening, you will still get bitten. Take the precautions as much as you can, avoid going out at dusk and take the ammonia based stuff to put on bites afterwards and all you'll have is a blotchy effect which isn't the end of the world.

Food - now here we have a slight issue. there are clearly some people who think it's the bees knees. I'm not one of them. The breakfast is fine - and the area most choose to eat it is beside the bar under the partial cover which is very pleasant indeed. It is not the best selection I've ever seen but it is perfectly ok and the layout of the buffet and the service (of laying tables and tea / coffee etc as with every area of service at the Restia Suites) is excellent. No problem at all. Lunch is ok and there is a daily special but I struggled to find anything that wasn't a massive portion, which some won't have a problem with. Great Greek salad I must say but not a snack by any means ! Also they seem to have an obsession with driving up the saturated fat content of every meal to ridiculous levels. Finding a meal that doesn't contain cheese (the same applies to an extent to evening meals) was a daily amusing exercise. I like cheese but it was everywhere ! I found the evening meals to be ok but nothing more - well presented but not very special for me. Some of the more locally based ones were better (the Kleftiko for example)I think than the more "international" options. Another aspect of the evening meals I didn't get on with was the lack of seafood. I expected this might be a feature here but it was a bit of struggle to find anything on the menu. Some shellfish specials but we often ate out at some of the local tavernas (turn right out of the gate by the pool and there are a couple just after the next hotel (one inland) and George's a little further on. All very friendly and with great seafood dishes. Grilled sea bream, mixed shellfish pastas - that sort of thing. Also a lot cheaper than the hotel which made the choice even easier really. As I say many will find the hotel just great, food - wise and for us it wasn't an issue because of the choice elsewhere but, for me, it's an area they could improve. Service and presentation they have spot on so it's not a massive thing to address I think.

Just another word about the staff. There is a strong British contingent which doesn't bother me but some may find it a little odd. Leaving that aside, all the staff, without exception, were excellent - friendly and very helpful. Defintely a plus point. It's hard to think of many hotels I've visited that were so good so that, in itself, is almost enough of a reason for most to want to visit.

The only thing about the layout I found a little disappointing was the gym which was underneath the reception area. Not the sort of postioning that encouraged me to visit. No other choice I guess but had it been located somewhere with a view over the sea, I would definitely have used it !

We used the Thomson coach from and to the airport and had no issue with it and it does give you a feel of the island but it does depend on whether or not you want a tour of the Thomson hotels of Corfu as someone else pointed out. We even had to change to a smaller minibus for the last stretch of our arrival journey which was unusual but no great issue. We hired a car for a few days through the Thomson rep, who was fine by the way. You'll certainly have no problem refuelling. I have never seen so many filling stations in such a small place ! The roads aren't that busy either.

All in all a great place to relax. With better evening meals, it would be close to perfection but some will find it so anyway. It certainly wouldn't deter me from going back. Enjoy !

Room Tip: Consider whether you want a ground floor with an outside "terrace" or an upstairs with a b...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Definitely lived up to high expectations(after first visit last Oct.) In fact, it was wonderful to have been responsible for taking three friends who agreed that I had not been exaggerating about its fabulous location, excellent large rooms, superb food(even better than last year) and welcoming staff. I must particularly mention Nikos and Charlotte, who work extremely hard around the bar, pool and restaurant; they have warm and caring personalities which make each guest feel special. We all had an amazing time and loved Corfu and are already planning next year's holiday as we know Restia Suites is going to be VERY popular.

Room Tip: First floor with sea-view is lovely
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Restia Suites? Share your experiences!