“Nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Marilena Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Marilena Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   173A Papandreou St | Amoudara Beach, Amoudara, Crete 71414, Greece   |
Ranked #14 of 19 hotels in Amoudara
Lee, United Kingdom
“Nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family stayed for 2 weeks and really enjoyed it. The food was really nice and the meat was tender. Must give credit to Sula who was the restaurant manager. She kept everything in hand and made sure everything was okay.
At the bar area of the hotel they only had one person serving and she also had to collect the glasses too while we were all queing.
If you want a quiet hotel then this is the place as there is no entertainment but the beach is only a 5 minute walk and Heraklion town is only a short bus ride away.

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a very honest review. I've been on many vacations in my lifetime but have never had to complain.

To start with, the hotel's food was appalling, no variety, and no taste. There was always a shortage of plates and glasses so had to wait atleast 15mins to start lunch/dinner. We actually dined out a few times because the food was so bad. All drinks inc soft drinks and alcoholic were nasty and undrinkable and the glasses were VERY DIRTY. The alcohol was probably anti-freeze it was that bad.

The wi-fi (only in the lobby) is the worst I've come across, probably even worse than old school dial up. It only ever seems to work at some specific times in the day and when I complained to the manager he said give it 5 mins every single time. Which leads me on to my next point that the hotel staff (except the main hostess in the restaurant) all have attitude problems and are very rude.

The hotel caters for Russians and Germans as they can speak the language better than English and ALL movie/TV channels are in Russian and German (except for CNN).

The swimming pool is filled with bitter salt water so is very unpleasant to swim in and stings the eyes. The pool is very child unfriendly and no pools for toddlers. The rooms for 4 ppl are tiny and the bathroom is a disgrace. The actual room was pretty clean though so thats the only positive I have.

Last but not least, there is no entertainment whatsoever, not even music by the pool or bars. This is by far the worst hotel I've been to which is rated 4 stars. Being generous I would give it 2 stars but it needs to work harder to even earn that. If you're looking to stay in Amoudara (which I dont recommend), stay in the hotel across the road called Agapi Beach or Creta Beach hotel, much better!

This is meant to be a 4* hotel and we paid good money for it so I don't understand why the standard is so poor. I've been to 4* and 3* hotels in Tunisia, Morocco, and Spain and have never had a problem or complaint.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is lovely; not far from the beach and an enormous pool. It is let down though by poor food, no entertainment, lack of staff serving drinks, the 'all inclusive' drinks being cheap, pre-made and served in small plastic cups. There is also the issue of the staff having their children there during the day - constantly screaming around the pool and in the hotel at the computers there. It becomes annoying extremely quickly. While we were there it was two girls and a boy - completely ruined the quiet atmosphere of the pool.

It is a nice hotel with adequate food - absolutely nothing more than this.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Food was terrible. Hardly any variety. Pasta every day. Pork for approximately 10 days of our holiday. We ate out for several of our 14 nights, costing us even more money. Girl at front of house in restaurant is lovely and showed concern that we didn't like a lot of the food. Getting a drink can be problematic as only one staff member in hotel bar, so a queue built up quickly while she was collecting glasses. Pool barman not in a rush to serve while chatting to others. Not a great choice of drinks either. Although all inclusive, absolutely no entertainment at all. We have done many all inclusives and this was the poorest by far. The street of Amoudara is very quiet. Not a holiday atmosphere at all. Pool is salted and very quiet with most people going to beach not far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the pool block.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I returned from the Marilena two days ago. Here is a summary of our positives and negatives:

Positives:
Helpful staff when approached.
Lots of local amenities - good variety of shops and restaurants in Ammoudara.
Very close to the beach.
Pool is clean and fresh (although sterilised with salt water rather than chlorine.)
Food is good - tasty and a good variety so that there is always something that you want to eat.

Negatives:
Our Air con broke and although it was fixed the following day it was a very hot night!
The Room was very basic - we paid £37 each to upgrade to a "superior" room yet there was nothing superior about what we got. Be wary of this offer!
The shower is TINY! We are both 5"3 and fairly slim but we still struggled!
Get towels on loungers early if you want one for the day (8am).

Other information:
It was very easy to communicate with people as nearly everyone spoke English.
We found that there were lots of rude and chain-smoking guests, which for polite non-smokers we found very frustrating but we managed to ignore it eventually!
The happy train in Ammoudara is a lovely little trip - we would recommend.
Getting to Heraklion is easy - there is a taxi rank outside the hotel. Heraklion is also a lovely town to visit with shops, bars and cultural landmarks to see.
There is also a very helpful tourist office in Ammoudara (15 min walk from the hotel) which will book any excursion for you. We did the Knossos-Lassithi day and saw the Knossos Palace, the "Little Lourdes" monastery and the cave where Zeus was born. It was an excellent (although exhausting) insight into Greek history.

Overall, we had a super holiday! The weather was perfect and we combined relaxing with sightseeing. Our one wish would have been the "superior room" that we were promised!

Slovenska Bistrica, Slovenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My almost half the annual salary is gone, this holiday was a nightmare first blew the rooms than in Siberia, another room with no windows ina male oknienko the door, as a third bedroom so where could breathe balcony we watched the wall, dogs and cats after premavali throughout the resort reception, swimming pool, even in the dining room with no one team did not do anything, I spent one have to eat but two times is the bottom rose pasta and beans that we can not and how many people we went to buy, I was there rises stomach, pool straw, children no play only one table at pinpong, neatly around the field before the 10 - years ago, people horror, offer it at us like **** - hotel, I thought I dream vacation, so no money now and leave with it assumes this holiday our pressing two 679 + fees so € 1750 is a lot of us to experience success gold Slovakia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Befor I went to crete I reviewed this hotel,and thought what have I done,i took my 10 yr old daughter with me,now after a dredful journey the plane cancelled and waiting from 5:30 in the morning til 14:30 to get there,all I could think was the bad reviews.this is not a brilliant hotel for children as there is no entertainment,we were all inclusive but its set times for breakfast ,lunch,and dinner.breakfast is not great but the bread and cake is lovely.lunch and dinner were fine we always found something to eat,i put 2lb on so must be ok.our room was lovely and cleaned daily.the staff very friendly,the only thing I would say is it was a bit of a deal gretting a drink from the inside bar as only one lady serving at all times,and when she had to take drinks somewhere,you could be standing in a que of at least 10 people,but she was very quick when serving.we wad a lovely week and would have stayed longer,the pool was fine and we always got a sunbed.if I went away again with just my daughter I would stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marilena Hotel? Share your experiences!