“Clean room, ok breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Georgia Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vagias 10, Amoudara, Crete 71500, Greece   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Amoudara
Kiruna, Sweden
“Clean room, ok breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for three nights in October.

The room was clean, but the view was lousy since we hade balcony facing the neighbours wall. The shower was very small; it was hard to get in to the cabin and it was equally difficult to get out.

The owners was nice and helpful and breakfast was ok but nothing special.

The beach is close but you can't see it from the hotel. The area felt a bit scruffy but it was quiet.

I could go back and stay in this hotel but I wouldn't because of the location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
AmoudaraGeorgia, Owner at Georgia Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Greek first
Calgary, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have never ever wrote a review this long before, but my experience was so horrible that I had to include all the facts.
I had high expectations of this hotel after reading all the good reviews, and paying $70US for my first night ($35 for second night which was a Sunday night). There were many other hotels in the area for about $35/night, but the room description in Expedia quoted a suite with separate bedroom and washer/dryer, pillow top mattress and bathrobes. So I decided to splurge a bit so I could have more space and a chance to do my own laundry.
When I arrived for check in, there was an older man at the desk who told me he couldn't check me in, I had to wait for his son to get back from the airport. I really hate to wait around, and its not like it would have been hard for him to have communicated a room number before he left!
When he did arrive, he told me to sit down while he checked in all the people that arrived after me. He then explained that he had only just received my reservation from Expedia and was not expecting me. I had booked the night before online. So unless Expedia had a technical problem, this means that he didn't bother to check his email. I would have expected this in South America, but not in Europe! After much confusion he finally gave me a room key, to a first floor room. As soon as I entered the room, it was obvious that this was not the room I had paid for. It was very small, cramped to the point where you couldn't even walk between the entrance and the bathroom without walking sideways. Too much junky furniture took up a lot of space. The bathroom was not clean, with residue staining the shower stall. There was certainly no pillowtop on the uncomfortable bed, and no robes, no washer or dryer.
I went back to the front desk to complain, and there was a young woman there who was very confused, as my reservation was for a ‘standard room’. I showed her the Expedia description of a standard room, and she apologized and said that they had no other rooms available that night, and I could be moved tomorrow, or they could put me up in a different hotel for tonight, and I could move the next night. Moving from hotel to hotel is not a solution in my opinion, it is a huge inconvenience, as is moving from room to room. But there was no other option, and Expedia stated non-refundable, so I agreed to move to a different room the next day. I told her that since I had paid a premium price for a suite, I should get a partial refund for my first night, since it was not as advertised. She said that that would be fine, but we didn’t negotiate the details.
The AC was also broken. I complained about that and they said they would send someone to fix it. No one gave me any updates, so I enquired again that evening and they said they’d looked at it and needed to get a part shipped from the mainland to fix it. So my options were to open all the windows to get a breeze, but zero privacy as the pool and lounge area was right there outside my window.
There was some sort of party going on in the pool that evening, and so I closed the windows and roasted inside, but the room still let most of the noise in. The next morning, when breakfast started, every sound echoed down the hall and into the room. Terrible sleep, so noisy! And the bed was crappy.
I was unimpressed with the pool. It is much smaller than the photos make it look, and it is not that clean. The pool area is cluttered with junk. There were plenty of loungers though. The beach is very close but it not that nice. The sand is coarse and brown.
I was quite grumpy the next morning after a cleaner entered the room without knocking as I was changing my clothes. She didn’t understand English and didn’t understand me screaming ‘do not enter’. She gave me the key to my new room, so I went to check it out and found that it was much cleaner than my current room, but still had no pillowtop, washer/dryer or separate bedroom. I went to complain again, this time to the man who had checked me in, and he kept telling me my expectations were too high. I showed him the Expedia description again, and he feigned ignorance, saying he didn’t know what pillow-top was, and that washer/dryer meant shower and hair dryer! The description clearly stated hair dryer in another section. I was suspicious that he was lying, but to keep the dialogue open, I conceded that there was a translation problem, and he probably wouldn’t be aware of it, since he would read the site in Greek.
He refunded me “half” of the money I paid in Euros, I can’t remember how much it was, but he didn’t include the Expedia commission, so I think it was 20-30 euro. I thought that this was the difference I had talked to the other woman about, and was happy that they were trying to make things right after the A/C and incorrect room description, so I started moving my bags to the other room. At this point the manger got incredibly ANGRY. He started YELLING at me to give him the money back if I was staying. I was scared and very confused. He said he thought he was refunding me for my second night stay and that I was checking out. I tried to explain about the conversation I’d had with the woman the previous day, but he just continued to yell about how I was trying to take advantage of him and had unreasonable expectations. At this point I lost my temper and started yelling back at him.
I was very scared. Here was a middle aged very angry man, yelling at me, a 27 year old solo female. I have never ever had this sort of thing happen to me before, and I’m still quite upset about it. This all went down before 11am, and he told me to get the hell out of his hotel, basically trying to throw me out into the streets an hour before check out. I packed my stuff, checked out of the room, and went out onto the patio to try and book alternate accommodation on my laptop. He came to yell at me some more a few minutes later. I yelled back for a while, but then told him to leave me be there was no point to continue to say the same thing over and over.
I was so upset and shaken by the encounter that I didn’t have the energy to go to the attraction I came to town to see: Knossos.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't stay on the ground floor room. It is very noisy, and you have to choose b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
AmoudaraGeorgia, Manager at Georgia Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Elle, thank you for your review.

I was sure that you make this comment, but in every season will be a person like you ,that twill not like anything and will make trouble just to ask for an update.

I m sorry but here you can not do that, you can not fear me with the review, you can not expect service of 5 stars by paying 1 star, its not logical your wish to do your laundry of 3 suitcases for free !!!.

p.s.I admire your passion in writing .
Montrose, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Charming small hotel very near the beach. Quiet, clean, cozy. The garden, where we had our delicious dinners was beautiful and restful. Dimitris, Georgina, and Stella treated our group of 12 women like queens, even preparing a special breakfast for us to take with us when we left at 6AM our last day. We felt like part of the family. We were so glad we were NOT at one of the large, all-inclusive hotels nearby. Our tour operator, who learned of the Georgia from us, even told me he would use the Georgia in future for bookings as we had loved it so much and his local people highly approved. Next time, we'll stay longer at the Georgia!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
AmoudaraGeorgia, Owner at Georgia Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment.

You are very kind :-) :-)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The hotel owner, Dimitrius, was charming, helpful and, most importantly, sincere. Our phone was out of order, so he organised a horseriding trip for us and was excellent company in the evenings at the hotel bar. The hotel breakfasts were brilliant and the homemade raki - strawberry, cranberry and lemon - superb. We were even encouraged to sample the fresh apricots growing in the communal pool area.
The location of Hotel Georgia is fabulous. It is close to the beach where Greek families socialise on sun lounges, play beach tennis and drink frappes served to them by a waiter from the local taverna. Sun lounges are free with the purchase of a drink. I ordered a freshly squeezed orange juice - there's plenty of alcoholic and non-alcoholic options. The hotel is also very close to a well stocked mini-market and only 15 minutes from Heraklion Airport.
Finally, the rooms have everything you need. Our room was newly renovated, clean and comfortable. We were able to dry our swimmers on the private balcony and view the ocean before we took off to the beach. There's even a lift for weary travellers! We highly recommend this lovely hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
AmoudaraGeorgia, Owner at Georgia Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment :-) :-)
Svendborg, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Georgia Hotel is probably the most comfortable, welcoming, warm and helpful hotel I've ever stayed in. The service is incredible, the hotel is located in a nice area close to Iraklio, the rooms are clean and cozy, and the people working in this place are so kind and warm-hearted, that it only makes it harder to leave.
All in all, the hotel brings you a perfect holiday experience, and allows you to relax and enjoy your stay. I would absolutely recommend it to everyone looking for a wonderful place to spend their vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your comment.

You are very good person.
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Georgia hotel is situated on Amoudara beach and very close to the Hiraklion. It only a few meters to walk from nice and sand beach!The stuff was really frendly and helpful.
Next time again to Georgia hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Natalia thank you very much for your comment :-) :-)

You are very nice person..many kisses your lovely daughter :-*
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I would definitely recommend this hotel! It's a quiet place, owners treat their guests like familly. We could have eat breakfasts and suppers in the garden - it was great plasure after long winter in central Europe.
Special thanks to Mrs. Georgina for great meals!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have beautiful, large windows and excellent views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comment :-) :-)

Been to Georgia Hotel? Share your experiences!