“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Las Torres Patagonia

Save Saved
You added Las Torres Patagonia to your Saves list
Las Torres Patagonia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Torres del Paine, Torres del Paine National Park, Chile   |
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were expecting an expensive, unexciting, touristy coach-tour kind of place based on advice from our tour operator and it was far better than that. OK its a busy place with individuals and tours coming and going all the time but we had a comfortable room with great views and the only problem we experienced ( a faulty safe) was resolved quickly. We ate in the bar because we didn't want a huge meal (its a buffet restaurant at a fixed price ) - the food was excellent in quality and the service very friendly. Yes, its expenive, but then the logistics of getting anything at all to this place must be incredible.
Our guide on the trek to the base of the towers, Felipe, was excellent and made sure we were safe and comfortable, given that the day we went was the one day that it rained. Luckily for us we were the only people on that tour that day so had all his attention and could go as quickly as we wanted. A packed lunch was included in the price of the trek.
One thing we didn't know before we went was the range of tours and excursions available - something to suit all ages and levels of mobility (there was quite a crinkly contingent in the hotel too..). Also, you don't necessarily need to go on an organised trek - the paths are clearly signposted and you are given a detailed map on entering the park. There are hikers everywhere and 'refugios' where you can stop for food, toilets and a warm fire if needed.
We stayed 2 nights here - wish we could have stayed one more.

Room Tip: rooms at the back overlook the mountains and glacier.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HtlLasTorres, Director Comercial at Las Torres Patagonia, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear SaraV_10

Thank you very much for letting us knows about your recent stay in our property in Torres del Paine National Park.
Thank you as well for taking your time to think about the logistic for bringing all the things that you can imagine to this very remote place is a hard work but nice on the other hand.
Two nights is a short period in Torres del Paine, so feel free to contact us in the future if you want to come back!!!

Best regards

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The transfer of the hotel was very good, the drivers were all at the time and very sympathetic, inside the park and outside. The hotel is simple, but good to relax in the sofas that stay between the diferrent rooms and watch the wonderful scenary around. the room too is very simple, but confortable and adequate for a room in the middle of a park.The system of quides, I think was confused, even when you have already done your reserve to a tour, they tell you that your tour was cancelled and sometimes don t give tou another option . I stay there 4 days and couldn t do a ride horse because when I was reserved, it rained a lot and the others days they told me that there wasn t others tours with horsees that I could do. For sure the service of guides is laking someone to organise it. Some of the quides were good and informative, but othes were very bad, so it was a kind of lucky for the one that was going to go with you in the tour. I had especifically a problem with a quide that come with me for 2 days- Pamella, but at least the hotel pay attention to my complaint an d for sure I wasn t the first quest to complaint about her. But my dissapointment with the hotel was with the food : the breakfast was ok, not a great variety, but as there was bread, juice anf fruits, you can have something that you like. But the food for the a la carte and buffet lack from the variety. I like salads and vegetables a lot, so for me it was okay, but my 3 teenagers and mu husband no, so they have few options everday to choose. I understand that the hotel is far from the city, but they like simple food, like chicken, meat, rice and potatoes, that isn t difficult to have or to prepare, but the restaurant doesn t have it regulary. Even pastas, when they have it they serve sauce of vegetables with it, without a option of tomate sauce. It is not difficult to see families in the hotel, so you have children and teenagers that generally don t like the style of patagonian food, so you have to have at least a simple option for them. Even the bar has fresh fies, but only hamburqueres and pizza (that wasn t good) so you don t have meat and fries in the bar, for example. Some of The waiters of the restaurant were good, others no. All the waiters of the bar were sympathetic and the drinks are very good. Si I would suggest the hotel to improve the system of tours and have a little more options for food in the hotel and it will be perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear lucilion

Thank you so much for taking your time and leaving us your comments about your stay.
Being very honest, the guides area is one of those areas we almost never receive negative comments, so this is an alert for us and we will consider it.
With the restaurant we are working already in important improvements that I think are showing important and positive results.
After reading your comments, we will take special care about the variety of our food in the case of families specially.

Thank you again.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a suite. The all inclusive deal works very well. The food was excellent as well as the wine selections. The breakfast and dinner was in the dining room and for lunch they gave lunch packs. The room was clean with a great view. Free WiFi worked well in the room. We took 2 full day tours, one on horseback and one by vehicle. The guides were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to show us around.The horses are well mannered and well cared for.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are nicer, but even on the other side the view is also good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dajoma

Thank you so much for taking your time and leaving your comments about your stay in Hotel Las Torres, this will certainly help other guest to find their better choice in the Park.
We do really feel happy knowing that you enjoyed your stay so much, as this is what we work for very hard.
Thank you so much as well for your suggestion, this are very welcomed and we are working on this already to improve our service the soonest.

Best regards

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights over the new year.
Its location is great, it is at the foot of the towers and you can start the hike to the base of the tour from the hotel directly.
The room is clean and there is wifi available.
We joined 3 full day tours as we were on an all inclusive basis and the guides are just average. You can feel that they are there to make a living as a guide. The turn-over is really high as well. A guide who is in his 2nd year guiding is already considered a 'senior'.
The food is ok. Don't expect much but you will be fed.
The hotel staff, especially the ones in the restaurant, are horrible. They expect you to pay tips even everything is in buffet style. And if you don't pay tips, no one will EVER pay attention to you afterwards. I've never experienced this from a hotel which costs $500+ upward a night.
I rate this hotel poor since I think it is poor value for $ considering it costs us $3000 in total for two people for 4 nights while getting at best average services.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This seems to be a hotel whose owners know they have a great location to which few people go more than once, so a lack of motivation and organization are evident throughout. The problems during our stay reached the point where many guests started to refer to it as "Fawlty Torres." Only it wasn't funny. It is possible to have a wonderful stay here, but it is likely to be in spite of, not because of the hotel's services and programs.

My primary complaint is about the activities program, which is exceptionally poorly run. When we checked in at 11 PM, we were informed that we'd be going on a horseback riding trip and to show up at 9 AM. Despite multiple inquiries to many staff members, I was unable to get any information at all about what trip it was, how long it would be, what we should bring, etc. The guide would cover everything when we arrived at 9AM, we were told. Well, the guide didn't arrive until after 9:30 AM, looking quite dazed and confused and saying that he'd only just been told he was taking our group out. He said we'd need to carry our lunches in a backpack, which was strange since I've never been on a horseback trip that would even allow you to wear a backpack since it throws off your balance. No saddlebags, go find a backpack. And we have 1 half liter of water for you for what turns out to be an all-day horseback and hiking trip.

So we set off an hour and a half late, after everyone gathered up the things nobody could be bothered to tell them to show up with the night before (lots of bottled water, for instance). Nobody said anything about what to expect in terms of the difficulty of the hiking or anything else. I wasn't worried, because while I am 52, I am quite fit and an experienced hiker. When we started the hiking portion up to the Torres, our guide, Patrick, took off like a shot up the hill. This was ok for most of our group, who were under 30. It was obvious from the beginning, though, that a middle-aged Spanish couple, one of whom was just wearing something like Rockport casual shoes, was going to have a really hard time with the steep and rocky terrain. They fell way behind early on, keeping the second guide, Felipe, with them.

I kept up fine for about an hour and a half, but then I started to fall behind. I figured I'd keep going and at some point the rest of the group would be waiting for everyone to catch up. It never happened, and I found myself completely isolated on the trail, aside from my son, who stayed with me. I stopped to rest a couple of times, but there was no sign of the Spaniards and Felipe, who had effectively become their private guide. While the trail is pretty clear most of the time, there are times when you're surrounded by rocks, and you can't see where to go and could get in a lot of trouble on such rough terrain. Finally, my son spotted the rest of our group, far, far ahead, like little ants up the mountain, recognizable only by the combination of their jacket colors. He ran up ahead to where could shout to Patrick, who told us if we were tired we could wait there (alone, on a very wild mountain. No, thanks.) and they'd get us on the way back. I hadn't come that far to quit, so we found our way up to the top eventually. It's not that I couldn't do it; I just couldn't do it at the breakneck pace Patrick set and never looked back. There is absolutely no excuse for running a hike in such a reckless, careless way, with members of a group spread so far over difficult terrain. To my shock, the Spaniards did make it to the top about half an hour after me. When I asked Felipe the next day why the guides didn't have walkie talkies to keep track of everyone, he said they did, but Patrick's was buried in his backpack.

In short, there was an exceptional lack of organization or concern for guests' wellbeing on the trip. I consider myself lucky to have made it ok.

My hope was that this bad experience was an exception in an otherwise well-run program, but I found the opposite to be true. Whoever runs the excursions supposedly included in the all-inclusive program seems to take the approach of promising wonderful things and then finding every conceivable way to deliver as little as possible. There is no information at all available on the real offerings (as opposed to the theoretical ones on the website, which one can't access anyway due to very poor Internet connectivity) until 7 PM the night before activities. Many times I asked for a general list of activities and I was told there was none. While I understand the impact of weather conditions on outdoor activities, the hotel's approach leads to a nightly mob scene (literally, pushing and shoving) at which even if one manages to be one of the first waited on, most of the activities will already somehow be full. After one day of being shut out of virtually everything (due to our 2-1/2-hours-late return from the horseback riding trip), we were more assertive the next day and booked an afternoon horseback riding trip. An hour before departure, I got a call that it was cancelled due to wet trails. While it had rained the night before, things were pretty dry by 2 PM when the cancellation came, and if it had really been for unsafe trail conditions, why didn't they offer us a ride on a flatter trail, a nice hike or something else? I came away with the strong impression that the hotel had never really intended to provide us with the trip in the first place. I felt like I'd been scammed. In the end, despite following all instructions, we received a day and a half's worth of excursions during a 4-night stay. If an operation is sincere about providing services, they don't make it a struggle to sign up for them, and they provide alternatives when weather rules out specific activities.

The rooms are perfectly fine for such a remote location. The food is not very good--not that I would expect fine dining so far from civilization--and exorbitantly priced for those not the all-inclusive deal.

While there were rare, bright glimmers of people who cared about what they were doing, on the whole the service was the worst I've received in many decades of international travel. The front desk staff, upon whom one must depend for a multitude of issues, shows a remarkable lack of competence and concern for guest comfort or welfare. I asked for a wakeup call, and by sheer dumb luck woke up on my own. The call never came, and 20 minutes later we left for breakfast. On the way back, I stopped by the front desk, where I was told, "We did call. Nobody answered!" When I said that was because they must have called at least 20 minutes late, the guy just shrugged.

My travel agent called the hotel numerous times in a vain attempt to get us better service. The only result was that when we were checking out, a manager appeared, offering a stilted apology and asking for my email, promising to write soon to offer some sort of accommodation for our trouble. I didn't believe him and figured he was just looking to get me out the door quietly, but I gave him my address. It's been 2 weeks, and I haven't heard a word.

Room Tip: "Sierra Contreras View," which is the room category we had, turns out to be on the non-vie...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel is ok only, but it is in an amazing place. Considering how isolated it is, the hotel does pretty well to be as good as it is. Rooms are basic but clean. Food is pretty poor ( we ate in the bar which has been recommended as better than the restaurant but was still not very good) and breakfasts were pretty unappetising. However, if you've come here for the food you must be a nutcase. Location is stunning, and the organised trips are excellent (albeit expensive). I would in particular recommend the full Paine trip (without the boat trip at lake grey) and try and get Felipe as your guide. He was an excellent guide and a very nice guy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brussels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The main advantage of this hotel is its location, right at the foot of the towers, with several hiking trails of different lengths and degrees of difficulty starting right from the door. The surroundings contain lush vegetation and one short trail takes you through three typical types of Patagonian terrain: scrub, wetlands, and steppe.

Animals roam around the hotel and a red fox makes regular appearances. There is an abundance of birds. The dreadful forest fires which have destroyed the vegetation close to one of the best known luxury hotels in the park has not touched the immediate environment of Hostaria las Torres.

If you think of this hotel as similar to a mountain lodge or hostel, to be enjoyed mainly for its location, you will not be disappointed. However if you are seeking a hotel whose standards of comfort, service and cuisine match the prices it charges, this is not the place for you. You would be much better off with the afore-mentioned luxury establishment or with another modern hotel which recently opened on the edge of the park, close to the surrounding pampa.

The hotel rooms in the lowest price category can be compared with cells in a low-security Scandinavian prison. Many of the rooms in the category described as “superior” look out directly onto the hotel’s parking lot, where there is a great deal of coming and going at peak hours. Beware of the category “superior” as only ten out of eighty of the less expense rooms are “standard”.

“Superior” rooms are standard by any normal reckoning. If you want comfort beginning to approximate the claims made in the hotel’s publicity, you must move up to a top-priced room or suite.

The hotel staff seek to be of assistance but they are over-worked and under-qualified. Very few speak even passable English. There are queues at the front desk for the least enquiry. Even when you manage to speak to a receptionist, they have not been given sufficient flexibility to be able to resolve problems and you must seek out the manager, who is helpful and friendly. The guides are good – but do you really want to spend your time at TDP hurtling around the park's bumpy roads with other guests in one of the hotel’s mini-buses?

Receptionists themselves commented during our visit that there had been recent changes in kitchen staff and a subsequent deterioration in the cuisine. All meals are buffets. In general, the cold appetizers and desserts are quite good but the main dishes are reminiscent of warmed-over school cafeteria food decades ago. Let’s not even mention the undrinkable coffee, a problem rather widespread in Chile. Breakfasts are not improved by being accompanied by the same old rousing Inti-Illimani numbers day after day. Still, the serving staff do their best to be helpful.

The box lunches to be taken on excursions are appalling, with ungarnished, dried-up sandwiches on bread with the consistency of cotton wool. We abandoned them after two days, preferring to snack on trail nuts and raisins.

It may be churlish to complain about slow and intermittent internet connections in such a remote location. However it is frustrating to wrestle with connections which take you back to the start of the computer age.

On balance, despite these shortcomings, and its poor price/value ratio, this hotel may still be one of the park’s better options, given its location. To enjoy it you need to lower expectations and concentrate on the magnificent surroundings.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking car park
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Las Torres Patagonia? Share your experiences!