“Superlative - don't waste your time booking anywhere else.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa

You added Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ruta 9 intersecting with Ruta Y156, Torres del Paine National Park, Chile   |
Singapore
“Superlative - don't waste your time booking anywhere else.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We visited the Tierra Patagonia in mid-September. The hotel is gorgeous and its setting unrivaled, right in front of Lake Sarmiento and with the entire Paine Massif beyond. Choosing a room is simple as there are no bad rooms, since every room has the same magnificent view. We loved the bathtub in the corner of the room as it allowed us to soak and still look out at the view. If you prefer some privacy, no problem as you could opt for the rooms with the bathtubs attached to the rest of the restroom and shower areas behind the bed, which are not so exposed.

The food was excellent and there was no repeat of the sit down menu in the five days we were there, which meant that there was something new to look forward to in every meal. Given that the hotel was literally in the boondocks, with practically nothing else around for miles and miles, the ingredients were surprisingly fresh, including the seafood. Understandably, for full day hikes, where one did not return to the hotel for lunch, the packed meals were simpler, but more than filling enough to do their job, which was to provide sustenance for the extended hikes.

We enjoyed all the excursions, and we found the guides to be engaging and enthusiastic, without being overbearing. They answered all of our questions, including some which I am sure they'd heard a hundred times before, with equanimity and care. As for the hotel staff, the waiters and bar staff were very friendly and provided attentive and kind service. Likewise for the staff at the spa, and front desk and housekeeping. Chris, the manager, was also a warm host and took the trouble to engage us and the other guests where his duties allowed. This was much appreciated.

There are some advantages to visiting, as we did, in the low season, just a few days after the hotel's reopening after the winter closure. The main benefit is that there are fewer guests and therefore a greater likelihood of more personalized service. The national park is also much much less crowded and you will practically have all the trails, all the look out points, all to yourself. The negative is that some of the more spectacular hikes, like to the base of the Torres or the French Valley, remained closed by the park rangers, due to continuing snow. You can still visit the Grey Glacier, but only from a distance as the ferry that would have brought you to the foot of the glacier also had not yet started running. Don't worry though, the glacier from afar, and rest of the park are still stunning.

We came quite a distance (36 hours by air from Singapore) to visit Patagonia and so we were in some trepidation that the trip would prove to be disappointing. A bad hotel can ruin things so. We are happy to be able to report that the Tierra Patagonia more than met our expectations. We heartily recommend Tierra Patagonia. Together with our experiences at its sister hotel, the Tierra Atacama, it was probably the most splendid hotel stay we had ever had.

Room Tip: If you are going to be using the spa a lot, try to get rooms 19 or 20 on the ground floor, or the tw...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is one of my best hotel experience. At Tierra Patagonia, everything is perfect to the eye, delicious, relaxing, well organised. The architecture is organic and intelligent; you feel you are in osmose with the surrounding nature. The employees are friendly and warm, really caring, the food and wines are delicious and the view on the Torres is just stunning (it is true thought that the view on Los Cuernos is more spectacular - but this is a very special one also). We met great people and the guides were super cool, providing a good mix of fun&culture.
At arrival I was first disappointed not to be able to use internet in my room but after only a few hours in the hotel I was wondering why on earth one should be on a keyboard in such a place!
No mini-bar with tiny nasty bottles of alcohol charged on your bill at the end of the stay but an all inclusive bar, with delicious cheese boards from 7pm. Great selection of coffee books, guides and games, amazing chill out areas, beautiful local arts and crafts at the store. Nothing cheesy or too commercial. We visited right at the opening in January 12; I hope the place keeps its best elements on the long run.

Room Tip: All the rooms are large with the same view. A very democratic layout! You will have to walk quite a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

In 2012 april I've spend some days at Tierra Patagonia that is an amazing Hotel that makes Torres Del Paine Park even better. The architecture, the details, the tours, the staff, the adventure, the energy are awesome. It's unmissable!!! Perfect!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Bethel Park, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were booked to visit Expllora lodge and due to the forest fires - our travel agent recommended Tierra Patagonia. We were hesitant given that we knew it has just opened. It is fabulous - we can't say enough about the guides. We hiked 4 days and enjoyed each hike. Our guides were Chris "Kangaroo", Jose from Santiago and Kine. Our hike with Kine to Base of the Towers was one of the most spectacular things we've ever done. She was great the whole way and we truly enjoyed the day. Jose and Chris were equally skilled and enjoyable.

We found the food to be very good given the limitations of their location. The wine could definitely be improved upon. The staff was definitely working out the kinks but were dedicated and wanted you to be satisfied. We enjoyed having drinks in the great room with the views and the fireplace.

The pool was fantastic. Our room was very comfortable and the view was unmatched. The bathroom was roomy.

Everyone - drivers, front desk, management, dining room staff, guides - is committed to your quality experience. We would definitely recommend Tierra Patagonia and look forward to being able to visit Tierra Atacama.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

TIERRA PATAGONIA HOTEL & SPA

A spectacular new hotel overlooking Lake Sarmiento and the world famous peaks of Torres del Paine.

OVERVIEW:

It is hard to know where to start. Everything about this hotel is amazing.

Firstly there is the spectacular location and uninterrupted views of Lake Sarmiento and the world famous peaks of Torres del Paine.

Then there is the hotel itself. A stunning piece of modern architecture that hugs the shore of the lake and blends into the rugged landscape that is Patagonia.

And last, but by no means least, there is the dedicated team of guides and support staff who made my stay so enjoyable.

Add this hotel to your list of places to go and stay. You won’t regret it!

WELCOME:

Having spent the last 12 months living and working in Chile, I promised myself a trip to Patagonia before packing my bags and returning to the UK. Unfortunately my girlfriend couldn’t accompany me so I travelled alone. The staff couldn’t have been more welcoming.

I had previously stayed in Tierra Patagonia’s sister hotel in the Atacama Desert and so I had a fair idea of what to expect, but I have to say my expectations were exceeded.

The manager, Chris Purcell, greeted me with a warm “so nice to see you again Mr Stoneman” (it seems he had remembered me from my previous stay at Tierra Atacama) and offered to show me around the hotel and introduce me to the head guide, Natalia. Within a few minutes we were all on first name terms.

Later that evening Chris and Natalia joined me at the bar and helped me choose the excursions for the next few days. As it was coming towards end of season and the hotel wasn’t full, Natalia told me that there was no need to worry about fitting in with the excursions chosen by other guests and that if I wanted to do something different there was driver and guide at my disposal.

As it worked out, I shared two of the five excursions with other guests and the remainder were one-on-one with a guide (see below).

LIVING ROOM:

Life at Tierra Patagonia is centred around the "living room" which houses a library, lounge, bar and dining area. It’s warm, casual and friendly.

Breakfast was generally taken in walking or riding gear before heading out for that day’s excursion but despite the unpretentious atmosphere most people made an effort and dressed-up a little for dinner.

ACCOMMODATION:

The rooms are warm and stylish. Every room enjoys an uninterrupted view of Lake Sarmiento and Torres del Paine. A little window between the bedroom and bathroom (complete with blind for the more modest guests) even allows you to enjoy the view of the Torres from bath!

There is no wi-fi in the rooms in order to tempt guests in to the “living room” where they can access the free wi-fi, enjoy a drink and chat with fellow guests. I wasn’t sure at first, but by day two I was converted and thought it a nice idea. After all you go to somewhere like Patagonia to relax not spend hours catching up on emails from the office.

FOOD & DRINK:

Breakfast is a buffet affair with a choice of several hot dishes (bacon, eggs, omelette etc) cooked to order.

Lunch (if you are not out on an excursion) and dinner offer a choice of two or three starters, main courses and deserts. Considering that the hotel is miles from anywhere, and the ingredients need to be imported over long distances, the quality was great. There was also a good choice of complimentary wines, beers and soft drinks.

As several other reviewers have commented the packed lunches for excursions could be improved both in terms of content and presentation. That said – at the end of each day’s excursion our driver was normally waiting for us with a welcoming drink and picnic of ham, cheese, fruit and nuts – so I don’t want to make too big a deal of the lunch. It is a NOT big point and I know Chris and the team are working on it so I think you can expect to see some improvements for the 2012/2013 season.

POOL & SPA:

The hotel has an indoor pool and spa area. I have to confess I was a little disappointed by the two massages I had.

EXCURSIONS:

There is a huge choice of excursions and guests can select either two “half day” excursions (with lunch at the hotel between) or one “full day” excursion per day. I chose three full day and two “half day” horse riding excursions with some downtime in the spa in between:

Base of the Torres: A 10 hour “full day” excursion (with José) to the base of the Torres. You cannot go to Patagonia and not do this world famous trek. Rated difficult.

French Valley: A 10 hour “full day” excursion (with Chris) to another world famous spot. Rated difficult.

Paso de la Guitarra: An 8 hour “full day” excursion (with Filipe) over the hills and around the shores of three different lakes. Rated medium.

Estancia Cerro Guido: I had only ever ridden once before and that wasn’t a pleasant experience so it was with some trepidation that I set out on a “half day” excursion to Estancia Cerro Guido but I needn’t have worried as the guides (Filepe and Chris) and the Gauchos made sure I had a good time. So good in fact that I went back again another day. Rated easy.

LANGUAGE:

The hotel manager, receptionists and guides were more than happy to converse with me in English (my native language) or Spanish (my girlfriends native language) but a little Spanish certainly came in useful when talking to the waiters, bar and other hotel staff.

AND FINALLY:

A big thank you to the whole team who were so warm and friendly.

Head guide Natalia, helped me plan and organise my stay perfectly, and would typically greet me each day with a warm Chilean-style kiss on the cheek.

My guides José (from Santiago), Filipe (from Patagonia) and Chris Theobald (from the UK / Australia) shared their unique perspectives and experiences, and made me laugh on many occasions – and still managed to raise a smile after a fairly gruelling 10 hour trek to the base of the Torres.

The manager, Chris Purcell, ensured I did not eat alone and invited me to join him and other staff or guests for dinner on a couple of occasions, and Chris Theobald and I shared a very pleasant lunch swapping stories and photos (and yes, Chris, I DID make it to New York with Gloria).

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

As with my stay at Tierra Atacama the booking process wasn’t as smooth as it should have been (with confusion about which treks were open and which treks were closed after the fire) but this was resolved when I got to the hotel and Natalia made sure I got to do and see everything I wanted.

I had the most amazing time and I would recommend both Tierra Atacama and Tierra Patagonia to anyone.

DATES

I stayed at Tierra Atacama for 5 nights on 4 March 2012 – 9 March 2012.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Unfortunately with this kind of price range, even the smallest mistakes are unforgivable. We were expecting far better service and food for one thing.

The tours were poorly organized and being a horse fanatic, I was not impressed with the ones we were provided with.

Overall the property is nice, but the view from cuernos del paine is far more astonishing than the one from the torres.

Definitely overpriced for this level of service and quality of food. We had friends who stayed at the Explora and were disappointed we did not follow their advice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My wife and I had originally booked to stay at Explora Lodge in Chile's Torres del Paine in late January 2012, but wildfires in the National Park and smoke damage to Explora meant that we (and many other Explora refugees) had to rebook into Tierra Patagonia at the last minute. Tierra Patagonia had only opened just before Christmas and the staff had not expected to have so many guests quite so soon. Was this a problem? Most certainly not.
Tierra Patagonia is a newly built hotel. Low-rise and with vast amounts of wood in its construction, it clings to the landscape in a way that echoes the Patagonian shrubs which keep close to the ground to get away from the prevailing high winds. Everything is built from local materials.
Our en-suite room was superb in every respect, with the most wonderful view over Lago Sarmiento to the Torres del Paine. Everything worked perfectly.
Indoor pool, sauna etc were great.
We were all-inclusive and the food and drinks (especially G&Ts) were all that we could have wanted.
There was a good range of walks, each of which entailed an initial bit of travel on unmade roads in a 4x4 (a bit ouch, but not too bad), and we were able to go on any of them that we chose. We had fantastic weather and had a truly unforgettable time.
The staff were all really friendly and helpful, and lent us an iPad for our stay so that we could keep in touch with our family back home.
If we ever manage to go to South America again, we would certainly return to Tierra Patagonia for more sheer bliss and, no, I am not being paid to write this review!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!