“The new Rio Serrano” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Serrano Hotel

You added Rio Serrano Hotel to your Saves list
Rio Serrano Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel Aguilar 01105, Torres del Paine National Park 6200000, Chile   |
“The new Rio Serrano”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

The new Hotel Rio Serrano, I say new, because most of the reviews on Tripadvisor were written before the hotel was taken over, and during the extensive renovations to make it the hotel it has now become.
The hotel claims to be the only 4 star hotel in the area. It is not IN the park, but at the entrance, and as near as most hotels that ARE in the park. For example Hotel Rio Serrano is the closest hotel to Hotel Lago Grey, and the boat ride to the glacier.
Hosteria Los Torres for example is at the other end of the park, and is probably at least an hours drive, and may be an hour and a half from Lago Grey.
I have criticism of Hotel Rio Serrano, but it is probably as centrally located as you can get.
To describe the hotel is difficult. The rooms are as modern as you can expect considering the location. The standard rooms have two twin beds, 22 square metres and look over the depressing car park. Not a very good choice, but $100 less than the superior rooms, which feature two queen beds and have a perfect view of the Towers (when the weather allows you to see them!), they are 35 square meters, and add a bath/shower as opposed to a shower only.
The superior rooms look immediately over bleak muddy, waterlogged terrain. In the middle distance is the River Serrano, but more noticeable is the hodge podge of random hostels, and buildings close by.
On a clear day the view of the Cuernos is as good as anywhere in the park.
The bar and lounge area are depressing, with cheap furniture and poor lighting. Likewise the restaurant.
Breakfast is drab and unimaginative, think American Interstate budget buffet.
The young Chilean staff are enthusiastic, and most speak English.
Like all hotels in TDP, and to most extent Chilean Patagonia, this is hunting season, and you the tourist are the prey.
Dinner in this, and all hotels is $50 per person, drinks are extra and are priced similarly exorbitantly. They do have bar snacks which range from $18 for a club sandwich, chicken ceasar salad or tuna salad.
Transfers around the park, from all the hotels, is more money than it costs to fly from one side of Europe to the other, or from the East to West coast of America, I joke not.
I strongly recommend that you stock up with soda’s, wine, snacks etc before you arrive.
Unless you have an unlimited budget, it is imperative that you rent a car.
Do not bring young children, they will hate you , and the nearest McDonalds is thousands of miles away.
The park is huge, and especially if you are back packing, it is impossible to cover the vast distances without a renal car, or a huge budget.
If you are back packing your budget and priorities are different, and you are probably not reading reviews of this hotel.
If however, like I was, you are researching a trip to TDP, then let me give you as much information as I can being on the ground here. Information I was not easily able to gather or understand when I was doing my research.
The “new road” to TDP from Puerto Natales, is new in terms of they just cut a shorter dirt track than the original. It is the worst road most of you will ever have experienced. But don’t be dissuaded, it is the same road that you will enter on if you arrange transfers from a travel agent, or bus from Puerto Natales.
You do not require 4x4, just take your time and bring a bottle of something strong for when you arrive. ( In fact do as I did and bring along wine, beer and booze! If you like a drink, a bottle of wine in P.Natales is $4 and up, a glass in TDP is $7 and up. A beer in PT is $0.70, in TDP it’s $5/7. A bottle of Bacardi is $6, a glass is $9 in TDP.
The roads in the park are not any better! 30 MPH is as good as it gets.
There are only four hotels in the park.
Lago Grey, Explora, Pehoe and Las Torres.
There are numerous camping sites, and many refugios if you are doing the multi day trekking.
There are only the hotels and the camp site at Lago Pehoe to eat at if you are not camping, prepare to take out a mortgage!
If you intend to spend more than one day in the park, DO NOT stay in P Natales and transfer daily.
In mid November I negotiated on arrival $255 per night superior with a view. Remota in PT wanted $370, Costaustralis wanted $255/300, and PT looked depressingly like a 1800’s gold rush town! Spend as little time in PT as possible, you came to see TDP, get there post haste, you will not be disappointed. I repeat, get to TDP as fast as possible, don’t spend a minute longer in PT as you need to.
My wife and I are late 50’s, she is 6 months post double hip surgery. Yet we managed several 5-8 mile day hikes without someone leading us by the hand.
I cannot understand why people need to have a guide lead them by the hand along well marked, heavily visited, easily recognized, day hikes.
The park gives a good map and each hotel offers great advise.
We spent a great day hiking (walking) Mirador Cuernos. 4 kilpometeres, 1-11/2 hours, easy, past a beautiful water fall, eventually ending underneath the Towers with a great vista.
Easy to find at Salto Grande, by the Pahoe catamaran. (The map you get at the park entrance has all the trekking routes and roads.)
Another easy day hike is from Lago Grey, walk across the suspension bridge down to the beach, then walk along the beach, where the blue icebergs have drifted in to shore.
Finally, a hike that we found was fantastic, and not usually posted on the maps. Follow your park map to Porteria y Guarderia Sarmiento, it is one of the entrances to the park. Park your car by the park office, where there are toilets.
Start your hike in front of the office to the left, and follow the marked path. After one hour you will see a group of large rocks, two or three hundred feet high in the near distance. There is a path leading to them, but it is like walking across a field, so make your own path. Walk around to the right side, and up to the rocks and you will come to an overhanging cave. On the roof there are prehistoric paintings of extinct animals! Continue a short distance to the top of the rocks and you have a view over 30 miles in every direction.
We enjoyed walking amongst hundreds of Guanaco, two foxes, a mother Rhea and her dozen chicks, pink flamingoes, geese with their chicks, wild stallions, it was an incredible 3 hour hike.
Unless you are Donald Trump, you do not need to pay an all included ridiculously inflated price for an all inclusive. You can walk all the hikes easily without being led by the hand, this is not Africa where a bull elephant is going to charge you, or a lion pounce on you. This is not Alaska where you might encounter a grizzly. The scariest thing you are likely to encounter is your freedom!
Enjoy this incredible remote wilderness before it is too late.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Boston Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

After reading the other reviews with interest it seems as though people are more aware of the other hotels on offer in and around the Torres del Paine park. I can only comment on the hotel that we stayed in which was the Hotel Rio Serrano. Being just outside the park it is less expensive than other hotels in the park and so is a little further to travel but not enough to make it a pain; we were too busy taking in the views and the wildlife! We found the hotel a pleasure to come back to after a day in the park, the staff were friendly and welcoming and the hotel had the cosy atmosphere it claimed on the website. At first I wasn't too impressed with the food but maybe there was a change in the kitchen as it was greatly improved by the third day of our week-long stay. All in all I definitely recommend this hotel for people that don't want to spend the extra to stay in the park but want to be surrounded by nature in a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Mammoth Lakes, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

I should say by reading the reviews the my experience was totally different then most people.The hotel is beautiful ,apparently just got completely renovated,the food was outstanding and we did enjoy our all inclusive program
You should realize that the hotel is right outside the National park witch make it very easy to go for trekking and hiking day trips
I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to explore Torres del Paine or if you want to just relax, the views of Torres from the hotel was my favorite part.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I had the luxury of staying at Hotel Rio Serrano at Torres del Paine (TDP) for 3 days in September. After reading a few TA reviews and perusing Rio Serrano’s website, which I believe is a gross misrepresentation with the combination of stock photography and aquatic color scheme, I may have never considered this property. My typical standards are Four Seasons, Oberoi, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, VOE Monasterio, etc for the combination of level of service and location. The lack of open accommodations in TDP due to it being the “off season” narrowed my options to 3 hotels. I had one main criterion for my accommodation, a view of Macizo del Paine from the hotel to increase my chance of seeing the range in the event of foul weather. This limited my option to Salto Chico and Hotel Rio Serrano. A stay of only 2 nights at Salto Chico is not really feasible so I opted for Rio Serrano. Upon entering the property I was surprised by the well appointed, modern finishes, cleanliness and furnishings of the common areas. All of this set with a backdrop of a full picturesque view of Macizo del Paine.

I suspect the hotel is in both quiet physical transformation and upper management evolution. A wing of guest rooms appear recently updated from the beds with down comforters and mini-fridge to the spotless bathing tubs. Once the remoteness of Torres del Paine is recognized, I believe one will then appreciate the amenities of Hotel Rio Serrano. Other properties in the area look severely dilapidated - for the reason product procurement appears to be a bit of a technical effort down there. I was under the impression when I left the property that the upper management realizes this is the time for this property to start to shine through new people, services and amenities. As with any business I speculate it will experience growing pains but while other hotels in the area may becoming complacent, and ride on the benefits of a consumer’s limited supply of options, Rio Serrano appears to have an excellent foundation in which they have recognized their potential and have entered into a quest of excellence.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Very nice hotel with spacious rooms. Those with view quite a bit more expensive. Rooms large and comfortable. Dining options: eating very good bar food a lot cheaper than the resaurant. Breakfast large and diverse. Staff at outdoor shop very helpful and much more knowledgeable than front desk staff. Outdoor shop mechanics will fix tires for a reasonable fee: we had three flats in the area. Wifi available. Somewhat farther from park main features than other hotels, but not a real problem. Cheaper than most hotels in the park.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

We just returned from a 10-day trip through Chile and Argentina. Had a wonderful time aboard the Cruceros Australis in Ushuaia, then wanted to finish with a few days in Torres del Paines. I had been communicating extensively with some concerns I had read on this hotel but was constantly reassured we would have a wonderful Christmas at this hotel. First I must mention it is a 5-hr drive from Punta Arenas with over 2 hours on a bumpy unpaved road. The advantage is that you are just outside the park so once you're there, it isn't much of a drive to the sites/trekking locations, and the view is spectacular. We had an all-inclusive package so can't say much about the prices on the bar/restaurant. Quality of the breakfasts/dinners were good. My first complaint is that it's so quiet, you can constantly hear the doors slamming. I had a hard time sleeping, and we could never get the electronic keys to work. Constantly had to go to the front desk to re-key - very annoying. I also agree with previous reviewers about the muddy driveway. And on Christmas Day, we were told to meet at 8:00am for our first excursion and when we arrived, we were told because it was a holiday, the first catamaran didn't depart till noon. We waited for over 3 hours in gusty winds because they had accidentally locked the keys in the van and we had to wait for backup (which took 2 hours). They should have checked or known this. My biggest complaint was that I requested transportation back to Punta Arenas EARLY AM before the trip, so we could spend the remainder of the day touring the city before our early flight out the next day. They said the earliest would be noon, then 1:00pm, and we finally departed at 2:00pm, and arrived at our hotel in Punta Arenas around 8:00pm (due to an auto accident backup).

• Liked — Location - close to park
  • Disliked — Distance to airport
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sydney, australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

The hotel was a building site and not a hotel. The entrance left us wondering whether we need protective hats or can actually enter to stay. From the muddiest partking lot - with no help whatsoever for our luggage - we made our way into the hotel to find our rooms were not ready, the whole hotel was supernoisy due to the ongoing work being carried out, stank of colour and was just a nightmare.

Worse though and this is something that won't necessarily go away with the building being completed was the attitude of the staff. We were asked to sign a blank copy of a credit card slip and when we refused to do so told that this is hotel policy and needs to be done. Only when we threatened to leave, the request was dropped. I found this close to criminal as once you sign the slip, you have no leverage whatsoever against any claims from the hotel and we saw lots of tourists sign.

When checking out, we had heaps of drinks on our invoice that apparently were from somebody else and when we claimed to remember exactly what we had consumed, the manager told his colleague in spanish with a smile (thinking we would not understand) that he doubts we can remember well - great customer service!!

yes, the rooms are OK and the food was OK (buffet style average) but I cannot recommend this hotel to anybody. Considering how well we were treated in any other place from backpackers hostels to Explora this is just the odd one out that you shoudl avoid.

• Disliked — attitude from staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
hrspatagoniachile, manager at Rio Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2009
Dear All,

We are pleased to communicate that last December 2008 Hotel Río Serrano has totally completed the enlargement of their facilities. With this improvement we were seeking to assure that our hotel has all the required services incorporated to make Río Serrano your best choice to stay while visiting Torres del Paine.

At the same time we would like you to know that since mid-2009, a change in property and management has taken place in the Hotel. With this in mind and in representation of our new management I would very much like to apologize for all the inconveniences some of our guests had to endure by the end of 2008.

We are committed to make Hotel Río Serrano your best & only choice while experiencing the best match within adventure & relax during your visit to Patagonia. We promise to deliver the best service available to satisfy all your current and future needs and we will not hesitate to implement all the required changes in our managerial and service strategies in order to do so.

Patricia González
Hotel Río Serrano

Been to Rio Serrano Hotel? Share your experiences!