“Superb location - directly across the beautiful Lake Garden” 4 of 5 stars

Flemington Hotel
No. 1, Jalan Samanea Saman, Taiping 34000 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Taiping
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Superb location - directly across the beautiful Lake Garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I booked a superior room and am pretty impressed for the price i pay. Avoid room 115 if u can cos its next to the washroom and i can hear the water pipe every time someone uses the sink. I do agree the staff needs some basic hospitality training, or maybe they are just overworked. Those in the restaurant are actually better than the one at the check in counter.

Other than that, the location, price and the room is just right.

Room Tip: Avoid room 115 superior
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I just came back from my three-night's stay at this lovely hotel in Taiping. My sister recommended it and I read positive things about it it here on Tripadvisor, a review site which I trust.

I booked the Premier room -- on the second floor -- which is just a nice size for a couple.

The good:

The room is clean, minimal yet modern. I really love the large window and beautiful view of the lake garden. It's really nice to make yourself a hot drink and sit on the floor watching that amazing view :)

The bed is comfortable. The pillows (only 2 provided) are fluffy. The TV is a flat screen but the channels are basic -- no Disney to keep your kids occupied. Good broadband Internet connection.

The bathroom is small but clean. It doesn't have a wide range of toiletries so I recommend bringing please bring your own vanity kit, shaver etc. It does have a 3-in-1 shower gel/shampoo/conditioner dispenser, if you're not particular about the shampoo you use. The "default" hot shower temperature is excellent and so is the water pressure. As it is a budget hotel, it provides you with the basics -- no small hand towels, just 2 body towels and one for the floor.

Breakfast spread, as others have pointed out, is small. But I loved the nasi lemak. It was tasty and the sambal is not hot/spicy, great for delicate stomachs. The breakfast area is pretty big for a small hotel.

This hotel is quite busy with guests and locals at all times. I sense that it is popular with the locals who come here for dinner and functions.

I actually checked in at 1am on Saturday morning and there were a few guests coming and leaving the hotel at that hour.

The pool -- Sky Bar area -- is small but nice during the day and at night.

I generally had a great stay but I think half of its staff need to be reminded that they are in the hospitality business.

The not-so-good:

a. While I was making enquiries about room rates etc, I spoke to a few reservations staffs who just sounded bored/sleepy. They gave me the impression that they didn't really care about selling the rooms.

b. On the early morning that I arrived, my husband dropped me off in front of the hotel to park the car somewhere a little further. The two male concierge staff who were on duty at that time just stared at me as I struggled with two laptop bags, a big luggage and some plastic bags up the steps.

Sure, I didn't motion for them to help me, but I'm sure it's in the hotel's standard operating procedure or something for them to provide assistance to all guests. At the very least, a sense of chivalry in them should have kicked in upon seeing a female with more bags than she can handle. Finally, one of them came and helped me with my biggest bag up the stairs to the lobby. But that was about 40 seconds too late to impress me :p

c. I notice that the staff don't smile much or even say hello even when they have the opportunity to do so. They seemed "scared"/"reluctant" to interact with the guests. It is as if they have been trained to only respond or speak when asked.

Having said that, I would like to single out one of the housekeeping staff who came to my aid when she saw me struggling with the hotel key card and offered to open the door for me while my husband went to the reception to have it reset. She and the head of housekeeping staff who said hello to us in front of the lift were the only times I felt the "friendliness" from the staff.

Verdict:
I LOVE the hotel and would stay here again. As I'd love to see the service improve, I hope aspects a, b and c (the hospitality bit) be addressed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay over the Labor Day weekend. Hotel fully booked. The hotel is in an excellent location, facing the Lake Gardens. If you're lucky enough to get a view of the gardens, you'll wake up to beautiful views. We paid 50USD/night (Premier room) which came with free breakfast. Great to find that internet was free (wired). Room was comfortable, with modern decor. The only few negatives I would note about the room is that the carpet is really thin, so the floor feels rather hard to walk on. Sound proofing from the doors is not very good as you can hear people running around the corridors throughout the day. Loved the night view from the rooftop skybar, but similar to it's other restaurants on site, they dont have a very big menu. What they have though, is priced very affordably. All in all, a nice weekend getaway.

• Stayed May 2011
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We only spent 1 night in Taiping and I'm sure Flemington is the best hotel in town.
We went for a roam around and thought Taiping was a very small country town but on the drive out saw it was much bigger than we thought.
The position is lovely, opposite the park but I think if you don't have a car it is probably a bit far away from things, although we did walk to the museum and church graveyard and the Zoo. Taxis seem to be non existent or at least not to keen to pick you up or come after you call. We wanted to go out for dinner and go to the night Zoo but no Taxi would come and pick us up, reception tried to call one but none would come, she just said they never can get one at night.
Breakfast for Western palates is very basic, really just cereal and toast, maybe an omelette but with all the eating you do in Malaysia it is all you need.
We had a corner Executive Suite and it was very nice, very big and a lovely bathroom. It really is value for money and we had a good 1 night stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
selangor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Location is very strategic and would be an excellent weeken getaway. Rooms are clean but the one we had was rather small. Not enough parking spaces inside the hotel building over weekens so we had to park by the roadside. Breakfast buffet was very much average. No one readily helped us while we were struggling with luggage upon check in at the main lobby.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011 via mobile

This is our second time in Flemington hotel. We like the location and room. But when we visit again for the second time, one can see the drop of quality. The room is not as clean as before. Its sad to see this. We were quite disappointed this time. We had a good impression during our first visit. That's why we decided to get a suite this time. But the bathroom was stained and mouldy!!! I wonder why the management never check the room.

However, in terms of location, it's still worth visit. I just hope the management can do something about it and unlike other hotels in taiping, become poor in maintenance.

• Stayed March 2011
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

We checked into the hotel for a night hoping to spend the other night in Ipoh as we were going to visit Lenggong the next day. But after experiencing the ambience of the hotel and its surrounding (Lake Gardens and all that Taiping has to offer), we decided to extend our stay. Firstly, Taiping is a charming town...rustic, clean and refreshing if you are a city dweller. Flemington offers the comfort and luxury of a city with a friendly, relaxing atmosphere of a town like Taiping. Amenities is a short drive away, if you are not into walking. Facilities for bike rental is also available at the hotel, and wi-fi is free. The food at Flemington is limited but tasty. My husband and I are vegetarians and we had nothing to complain about. The porridge during breakfast was delicious, as well as their "stir-fried" rice and noodles during tea. We were very pleased with our weekend in Taiping.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Flemington Hotel? Share your experiences!