“Great Meal, Breathtaking View” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 16 restaurants in Toyako-cho
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Great Meal, Breathtaking View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a 3 Michelin star restaurant. Naturally I food was great with a touch of Japanese colors, local ingredients and Japanese precision. Hokkaido is not only well known for King Crabs, scallops, and dairy products. They also have good beef, great produce such as corn and potato. With these ingredients and perfectionist culture, the meal was great, but what made this restaurant the best of the best is the setting. The restaurant perched on top of Toya Lake and the panoramic window of the restaurant brought the clients up close to the beauty of Mother Nature. One truly appreciated the gift of Mother Nature through all five senses sitting in the restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Tokyo, Japan
“Amazed the First Time, Bored the Second”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We book an overnight stay at Windsor Hotel for the specific purpose of dining at this 3 star Michelin French restaurant. First in 2010 which was an absolutely amazing dining experience. The total cost for 2 adults and 2 children including wine was about 120,000 yen ($1,450) which is the most we ever paid for dinner with lower tier wine but the dining was fabulous and memorable, so much so that we booked again and brought the my parents-in-law to share in the experience.

I must say that our second visit was a disappointment. The waiting time between meals was much too long. It was the holiday season and they may have overbooked or perhaps they were under staffed I'm not sure. I requested to speak to the restaurant manager but was told he was on holiday which was surprising. I spoke to his replacement and explained to him that the concept of highlighting local produce was perhaps being overdone. My in laws mentioned to the floor manager that although the fish course was tasty they were disappointed that they were being served local low quality fish that could be picked up at the supermarket for under 1,000 yen ($12). The reply from the Japanese staff was very courteous and professional. He apologized and said "the menu is decided by a famous foreign chef that wants to highlight local produce" to which my mother in law replied "we are not paying local prices though are we?"

Wine: As a guest of the hotel I was able to bring my own wine for a corkage fee of 3,500 yen ($40) which was reasonable for a luxurious restaurant in Japan. Indeed, most will not allow it. The restaurant has a limited wine list which is surprising for a French restaurant rated 3 stars by Michelin. The sommelier staff explained that most of their Japanese customers do not order wine by the bottle and tend to be satisfied with the selected table wine.

I recommend this restaurant for those wanting to experience a true French dining experience which highlights local Hokkaido produce so long as your pockets are bottomless.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tokyo
“Completely dissapointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I tried Michel brass at lunch time on the 31st od December.
The quality of food and food stuffs were terribly bad irrespective of its high price. Steamed fish smelled somehow raw. To serve a family of 3 members, 3 persons brought in dishes with their arms raised high. It looked like a ritual ceremony. Meat was also tiny and not at the quality expected at this level of restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I enjoyed every dish! You can feel the Chef's spirit from the very beginning...Garugoille was really amazing. Every...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

I enjoyed every dish! You can feel the Chef's spirit from the very beginning...Garugoille was really amazing. Every little piece had different taste...and I loved the liqueur of elder, kind of bitter but good for aperitif. I really wanna go back there !