“Enchanted and Relaxed (plus surprisingly Good Food) at the Melia Las Dunas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Las Dunas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Las Dunas
You added Melia Las Dunas to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Jardines del Rey, Villa Clara, Cuba   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Montreal, Canada
“Enchanted and Relaxed (plus surprisingly Good Food) at the Melia Las Dunas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

My niece and I have just returned from our very first trip to Cuba August 13- 20, 2010.

Background:
After a tremendous amount of research, I chose to stay at the Melia Las Dunas All-Inclusive Resort in Cuba for several reasons:
1. I stayed at a Melia Resort (in Cabo San Lucas Mexico) in the past and loved it
2. The latest review I read in TripAdvisor were mostly favourable and I dismissed the naysayers
3. The price-quality ratio for an all-inclusive ****1/2 star resort was almost unbelievable
4. It seemed to have a lot of facilities and activities which could be used in case of rain

Results:
We were absolutely enchanted by our vacation!!! It is a wonderful resort with two large pools, a free gym and indeed lots of activities for people of all ages and best of all, I think there are more than 12 different places to eat, including 5 restaurants.

Flights & Arrival:
The flight with CanJet was on-time and even ahead of schedule both when we departed and returned home and the bus ride from the Santa Clara airport (yes it is indeed a 90-minute ride), was quite enjoyable both ways. When we arrived at the resort, we received our envelope almost right away (somewhat of a wait as they didn't seem to be able to find our reservation), but I think it's because I had requested a room in a particular block (46 or 76) and even though it wasn't guaranteed my request would be fulfilled, we did get what we asked for!

Room & Room Service:
Our air-conditioned room was on the second floor in block 76 (less than a 5-minute walk to the Lobby and Beach) and was surprisingly quite spacious and comfortable. It was comfortable, quiet and offers a free safe where we can leave our valuables. There is a mini-fridge with local beer, soft-drinks and large water bottles supplied free of charge every day. The best feature was our chambermaid Aray. We met her on the first day and she immediately resolved two minor issues we had right away. She thoroughly cleaned our room every day and responded to all the written requests we left her (I speak and write a little Spanish so we managed to communicate). We also very much enjoyed the original towel art that she created for us each day.

Food and Restaurants:
One of the reasons I always stayed away from Cuba was based on the comments I had read and heard about the food, so I was a little apprehensive, as I we are both somewhat selective eaters and my niece is allergic to nuts. Here is what I wish to say to all the complainers and whiners : the food is NOT BAD, it is simply DIFFERENT. If one expects to eat the same as one eats at home every day, where is the adventure and discovery? There are THREE buffets with a selection that is varied enough not to have to eat the same thing every day. We always tried to sit in the same area each day so we could be served by a wonderful waiter named YANSY. Although he seemed to work all day and most evenings, he always had a smile on his face, and was totally attentive and met all our needs right away. He is one of the best representations I had experienced of someone who was all about providing EXCELLENT SERVICE.

Of the three restaurants we reserved, our favourite one was ISABEL & FERDINAND. The food was exquisite (oh my goodness that Cream of Tomato & Pumpkin was divine). Our waiter RAMSAY was courteous, attentive and he spoke French and English, as well as Spanish.

We dealt with many other waiters and we would like to thank all of them for making our stay so pleasant (by the way, although they of course appreciate tips, they do not EXPECT them and their friendliness does not depend on that... they are simply doing their jobs, so don't feel forced to pull out your money, especially if you do so with resentment).

Maintenance:
We had a small problem with our safe and it was resolved to our satisfaction, although I did have to call twice and wait for someone to come, as we had to stay in the room.

GYM and POOL
I very much appreciated the fact that there was a gym on the premises. It is not elaborate, but has two stairmasters, two treadmills, one rowing machine and four stationary bikes and a weight room. Although it was extremely hot outside, it is air-conditioned and quite efficient. The pools are a fairly large size with towel service. These are however my two areas of complaint. The pool and gym hours are too restrictive, closing at 6 and 7 PM respectively and the Adult Pool Only restriction was not enforced. There were small children everytime we went.

THE BEACH
Absolutely breath-taking!!! Soft, white sand, blue ocean for miles and miles. Towels, chairs and palapas were in sufficient supply every day. I never realized how magnificent the Cuban beaches are, even if I had been told so in the past. I repeat: an absolute gem. I walked on both sides and the Melia Las Dunas beachfront is simply the best.

I could go on and on and on. I was not familiar with the Cuban star-rating system, so do I think it is a four and a half star... I don't know as I have nothing else to compare it to. However it usually takes a lot to please me and I was very, very pleased.

WEATHER
Although the forecasts called mostly for Thunder showers, it was TOTAL SUNSHINE for 7 straight days!!!

Thank you so much for a wonderful vacation. I would totally go back, but maybe not in August as the heat can be overwhelming and there are a lot of mosquitoes.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ResidentManagerMLD, Residen Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Dear BlissfulOrchid,

We deeply thank you for writing these precise with so many details and at the same time very rewarding comments on our resort. Through your report we can acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I hope future travellers take into account such a good advertisement when choosing the appropriate destination for their next holidays.
I’d be very pleased to welcome you back in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another fantastic vacation among us.

Best regards,

Antonio Montes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I was very disappointed with the Melia Las Dunas. Our group of 12 family members moved here after problems with food quality and choice at the Sol Cayo Santa Maria next door. Although the food was marginally better with a greater variety the whole resort had the feel of 1980's Spain.
I have never stayed in a more crowded resort in the Caribbean and although it has a lovely beach it was spoilt by the noisy music which started up every day at 11.00am and could be heard the whole length of the beach. The pools were very busy with sunbeds tocuhing each other all of the way round the nearer pool. Our only option was to go to the leisure pool which was quieter in the afternoon but was a very long walk from our rooms
Specific problems included smelly rooms (including 2111 which smelt of cigarette smoke), lack of ceiling fans, noisy air conditioning, blackout blinds that didn't cover the whole window and uncomfortable pillows.
The restaurant was unbearably hot with no air conditioning and contained on a regular basis cats, birds, cockroaches, flies, frogs and mosquitoes.
After a day in this resort I was ready to return to the Sol Cayo Santa Maria and put up with the cold food to escape the crowds and try to relax.
The only good points about this hotel are the live music and some of the staff.
If choice of food is your main concern then this hotel may be acceptable but if you want the feel of a Caribbean hotel and beach stay well away.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ResidentManagerMLD, Resident Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Dear CaribbeanJohn,

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments and feedback, we really appreciate it and on behalf of all of us I would like to thank you for your visit and we are really sorry we haven't fully meet your expectations.
I'm specially sorry you din't enjoy our food, which as you can see in the guests' comments is praised most of the time. I really would like to know what might have gone wrong this time.
In any case and once again I thank you for your visit and comments and we hope to have the opportinuty to welcome you back some time in the near future and being able to offer our best hospitality.

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I was really looking forward to our holiday but I would never go again. The biggest problem is the number of people staying versus the facilities available. There is constant competition to get a sunbed on the beach - there's nowhere near enough. The view is spoilt by 6 large cranes which are building next door. I was hoping for a relaxing beach but if you could get a seat (there were 5 of us, so no chance) they played loud music on the beach. The food was dreadful, but on the up side I lost half a stone! My drink of choice is Bacardi and Coke and i thought this would be plentiful in Cuba but again no luck. There was local rum which tasted nothing like Bacardi and local Coke which tasted like very cheap coke. All the spirits were awful as was the lager. My son went every day to try and play on the pool table but never had a chance as there was only one table between 2000 people. Finally the main buffet restaurant served poor food which was always covered in flies. My children all had bad stomachs. Please read this review!

Dear christine_thomas20,

I would like to thank you for sharing with us your opinions about your stay in our Hotel, it really helps to improve our daily work.

We will check very carefully all the details you are writing in your review, concerning the problems we are in a big resort and we have a lot of places to have sun in the two pools and the huge beach but we can not have place for all guest in the same area. Anyway we are building actually news umbrellas at the beach and we have more sunbeds. It is a big resort with a lot of facilities and food options.

I’m offering my sincerest apologies for all the inconvenience you had during your stay with us. We will really appreciate your confidence vote in your next visit to Cuba, we assure you that you will be received with the excellence has always distinguished us.

Near Liverpool. England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My mum and I have just returned from our 2nd visit to the MLD. In 12 months, this hotel has got better if anything! So much so, that we will be booking our return for next summer!
Before I carry on with the review, I’d like to address some points raised here. Please understand that Cuba is a developing country, and food variety depends on local availability. How anyone can complain is beyond me, they do pizzas, chips, fresh meats and pasta (cooked before you) fish and free lobster! A tip is to take something different each night from the buffet then you won’t get bored! You can also eat at the a la cartes 3 nights per week, all of which are fantastic. With a variety of places to eat, including a 24 hour international bar, pool bars, beach bars and 2 buffets you won’t go hungry. People complaining of stomach pains may have over indulged or forgotten that cocktails contain fruit which is a laxative!
Prior to our stay, we emailed the hotel (about 4 weeks before) asking for a room on the adult side. This was granted and we were in block 38 (right by the pool) with a free bottle of rum and our weeks a la carte bookings made (you can change this, but we didn’t!) The rooms are spacious and VERY clean (our maid Suselle was wonderful!) The toilets in Cuba aren’t that strong in general and it often takes 2 or 3 flushes no matter where you are! The room has 2 queen beds (or a king if you ask) with plenty of room, and a free safety deposit box! Nothing of ours was stolen; our rep did warn us that if you leave things on the bed in the morning, the maid will think this is a tip! This is not theft it is a misunderstanding!
The Cuban people are so friendly, and are not all after tips! The service we received was every bit as good as those who were tipping constantly. We did tip for special services or at the end of a night, only 1 peso a time.
A great number of staff recognised us from last year, and this made our holiday extra special. We consider the people at this resort as family now, especially Ariadna (on the Animation Team) who is the most wonderful person you could meet! Oro, Walli and Teo (also on the animation team) are all fantastic, they all make the holiday so much fun! Esmeralda runs the animation team and does an amazing job, as do all of her staff! Can’t wait to see you all next year! The dancers were also fantastic and friendly! The dancers are so talented, and they teach children how to dance of an evening at the square from 7-9pm. They also ask people up to teach you to salsa, a lot of fun!
There are children’s clubs available up to age 17, we saw the staff taking the children out around the resort and they seem very well looked after! There are lots of activities for children and adults, including a sports centre with table tennis etc... Those who complained that there is nothing for children to do, did not take advantage of these facilities. This was discovered after speaking to a complainer. There are also boats and water sports available.
Speaking of entertainment! Georgio, who is the evening DJ and entertainer is a show in himself! Every night on the square, raga raga, YMCA, Club Dances play and children and adults are encouraged to join in dancing. Georgio is hilarious and makes sure that everyone joins in. It’s impossible to describe how amazing he is! Make sure you give him shampoo and toiletries at the end of your stay, he really appreciates it!

The drinks hut by the square is defiantly recommended for your cocktails and beers... saves queuing at the lobby bar!
Bar staff: Lilianna, Kenya, Yosini and Yerenni are wonderful! They work in the lobby bar and will always make sure your glass is full. Guillermo, who works in the beer garden, is fantastic and makes the best cocktails ever!
The food available at the hotel is fantastic! Thursday night, they do fresh lobster with garlic butter. The seafood a la carte also serves lobster. This is the only resort that I have come across where lobster is free. As a vegetarian and a picky eater, I did not starve! Fresh fruit, olives, salad at the buffet. Pasta, meat, fish, pizza is cooked fresh to order. Ok, there are flies in the non-air-conditioned eating places, but it’s to be expected in the Caribbean and the staff do all they can to cover the food. The manager has told us (during the last evening cocktail party) that they will be closing off a part of the buffet in low season and installing air conditioning. Looking forward to seeing this. Dariel and Yosimel are excellent chefs!
The novelty of an activity pool and a quiet pool is great... pity some people chose to ignore the rules and allow their noisy children in the adult pool! The staff do try to enforce the rules, and this is not the hotel’s fault.
I have been in the activity pool for aqua aerobics with Teo, my feet remained un-cut! Both pools are clean and safe (a guy comes into the pool to clean it every morning.)
We had no trouble getting sun loungers, sometimes without shade, after 8am... but you’re in the Caribbean, why do you want shade?
The beach is wonderful, and again, difficult to describe with words. So I have put pictures up instead. Toasties are available on the beach, and a small drinks hut serves nice cold drinks.
Hygiene: with cleaners and maids constantly around the hotel grounds, the resort is spotless. I have not seen a single piece of dirt or muck where it should not be throughout either of my stays. The gardeners kept the place looking beautiful.
Any issues, see your rep, see your maid. It will be sorted! We had problems with our sink, we spoke to Suselle, the maid, and she helped us with it. No problem. Our safe broke, we phoned reception and the guy came up to fix it within 10 minutes. The umbrella in our room broke, we spoke to the maid and got a new one right away! Don’t let things spoil your holiday.
The bus drive from the hotel is long, at just under 2 hours. As you go through, you will see to Cuban villages, their houses. You will see their houses, they have no aircon, their doors are open. Some are beautiful, bright buildings, others are like we would have for sheds. Looking at the flats where the resort staff live. I don’t know how people can moan about the hotel not being a 4 ½ or 5* by our standards, compare it to their houses, which everyone sees as they pass, it is luxury, and as far as I am concerned, it is paradise.

If you look for problems, you will find them. If you join in, you will have a great time. Make your mind up as to the holiday you want! I know which one I’d chose. If you smile, the Cuban people will smile back.
One last point. Scott was our rep, he finishes in October. He is the best rep the hotel has seen! He has helped collect stuff for the Mambo Project as well, which provides a hospital in Santa Clara with children’s toys, medications, clothes etc... if you want to help the Cuban people, see Scott about how you can leave your stuff for him as a donation for Mambo, everything helps. We had 2 bags worth of humanitarian aid.
If you have chosen this hotel. Well done, you will have a great time. The pictures say it all. Please don’t hesitate to email me if you have any questions at all. It’s important to realise that some people are impossible to please!

• Stayed August 2010
ResidentManagerMLD, Resident Manager at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Dear dramaqueen86,
Greetings from Cayo Santa Maria, on behalf of all of us at Melia Las Dunas we would like to thank you for your very kind comments and feedback. We are sharing with all staff.
We are really happy that you have enjoyed our stay with us, it means a lot to each one of us. It has been very nice to meet you here. We are looking forward to welcome you back in a near future, for sure in 2011.

Viseu, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

After reading several favorable reviews, we chose this resort. The truth is that we nearly starved to death, and lucky for us we managed to be transfered to the hotel resort next door. It´s true, we spent three days here, and the food was simply horrible, not to mention the hygienic conditions really poor in the dining areas. The same goes for the restaurantes "a la carte" simply bad taste. Unfortunately even the room cleaning service is at the same level (our garbage was left one day to another). The resort has excellent facilities and a great beach, so if you wish for a crash diet, it´s the place to choose. If you demand minimums of quality in hygiene and food service, this is not your choice!!! Don´t be mislead by the five stars, it doesn´t even deserve two!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear CarlaFernando,

We will check very carefully all the details you are writing in your review. We are happy that after we had the meeting with you we could help you to move to our hotel Melia Cayo Santa Maria and you could enjoy the rest of your holiday. We understood we can have any guest unhappy and we always try to get the best option to them.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at the Melia Las Dunas from July 25-August 1.
The weather was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! We had a little rain one morning at 9:30, while we were having our breakfast, it cleared up within 10 min's.
We are avid travellers, but are not normally "Cuba people" because in the past we have enjoyed the Cuban beaches, but are not to fond of the food, we usually go to either Mexico or The Dominican Republic, but Las Dunas was highly recommended to us and upon reading the reviews, we thought we'd give it a try.
We travelled with our 17 yr old son, we are in our early 40ies.
Check In:
Quick & efficient.
Room: We stayed in room 3824, adult side.
We were right beside the adult pool and a 2 min walking distance to the lobby, and a 5 min.'s away from the path to the beach.
We had troubles with our A/C, seems like it is a common problem. We were offered another room twice, but both times declined because one had only 2 single beds and the other was at the FAR END (room in the 60 section) of the hotel. Maintenance did come twice and on the second time they dicovered that a valve was missing and repaired it. HOWEVER a day later it was back to no A/C, so we requested to see the manager, was told he was unavailable, but since I work in hospitality I knew it was a way of avoiding the problem and told Marco (Who by the way is VERY RUDE & IGNORANT) I would sit there all day if I had to and would wait. Low & behold, the manager walks right by us not even 2 min.'s later. The manager came to our room with us and had the A/C fixed within an hour.
Our maid, Margarita was wonderful. She was very friendly, kind and ALWAYS had a beautiful smile on her face. Every morning we'd leave 1 pesos for her on the pillow. She always took the time to chit-chat with us when we saw her. Note: The maids work 10 days in a row before having a day off, so if you want to leave her a little something, make sure to find out when her day off is! We went to the $ store & bought a few trinkets to leave her. She was EXTREMELY HAPPY & very appreciative.
BEACH: SPECTATICULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always found a shady spot, even if we went in the afternoon.
POOLS: We never went to the family pool, we always stayed by the adult pool.
Very, Very clean. There were a few younger children, but it didn't bother us. It was mostly teenagers & couples.
Swim up bar is also kept very clean.
FOOD:
We ate at The Romantica, The Seafood, The Italian & Columbia.
Our least favorite was the Columbia. It's outdoors so we were constantly waving off the mosquitos. Our Favorite was The Romantica. Service in ALL was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!
Silvio at the booking's desk is amazing!
We had the buffet our first night and we really enjoyed it, I was Very Pleasantly Surprised. We also ate at the buffet on Lobster night (Thursday), YUM!!!!!!
On our last night we decided to go see Sylvio to see if there were any places left in an a la carte and he was nice enough to book us. Service in the buffet was also EXCELLENT!!!!!!
A Please & Thank-you go A Long Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For breakfast & lunch we always left 1 peso & at the a la cartes we always left 5 pesos.
LOBBY, BAR, GROUNDS:
The hotel is beautifully decorated.
Service in the lobby bar is good, but it sometimes get a little crowded, so it's better to sit down at a table & the waitress will come get your drink order. (Again we gave 1 pesos upon each order).
We walked over to the family side one day and noticed that the upkeep is better than the adult side. By no means is the adult side in disarray, but we did notice it was better maintained.
My husband & I went to the disco one night. Music was a mixture of top 40 & Cuban. We enjoyed ourselves.
ENTERTAINMENT:
Each evening they have a band that sings & gives dance lessons. We never participated but enjoyed watching the others having fun.
They also have a pianist in the lobby, very nice.
SHOPPING:
There's only 2 stores that you can shop at, the prices are the same as the airport.
We took a taxi for 10 pesos, the driver waits for you (you can also take the bus that costs 1 peso each) and went right next to The Barcello. Not a big market, but they have the usual stuff for good prices.
A Little Advice: When you arrive at the airport, go to the bank there, the rates are a little better.

We Very Much enjoyed our stay at Melia Las Dunas. We ate well, drank VERY WELL, relaxed and enjoyed the staff & the atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear sammymom,

Thank you very much for your review, and for letting us know about your experience in Meliá Las Dunas.

It is really a pleasure to receive such a positives comments about our work. We will let our staff know about your opinion, which is very important for our daily performance, specially about our food options we are working to improve with our chef Santiago. Of course, this is a commitment of keep working hard in order to improve the number of clients satisfied like you. You must know it will be great to have you again in our Hotel, so please let us know about your next visit to Cuba.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We are going back to this wonderful hotel in a few weeks for the third time! It is like going home. Cuba is a wonderful country, the people are amazing, so friendly. The staff are excellent and the service is just wonderful, we tip, but not all the time and the service is the same whether you tip or not - excellent! The staff work so hard. We have been all over the caribbean and Cuba is definitely our favourite. The rooms are lovely, we have never had any problems with the bath room or air con. The beach is pure paradise and we always manage to get shade. I cannot understand why anyone would complain about this hotel; although most of the complaints are from Canadians, who we noticed can be very rude and a please and thank you goes a long way. Sometimes you just cant please people! The food is really good, the Romantica is well worth a visit. We enjoyed the food at the buffet also, there's so much choice. The lobby bar is the place to be of an evening and the Cuban music is wonderful. Trips - santa clara is worth going to, Che museum, so interesting. - Deep sea fishing is loads fun.

I cant speak highly enough of this hotel, ignore the bad reviews - we are fussy and would not be going back for the third time if it wasnt amazing. Cant wait to go in few weeks time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear hapihols,

A warm hello from Cayo Santa Maria.
On behalf of all of us at Melia Las Dunas I would like to thank you for your very nice comments and feedback. We have shared your comments with all our staff and it really encourage us to continue to do better.
we are very pleased to know you have enjoyed your stay.
Should you need anything from Cayo Santa Maria, please let us know. Looking forward to have you back.

Antonio Montes

Been to Melia Las Dunas? Share your experiences!