“a positive experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
You added Royalton Cayo Santa Maria to your Saves list
05200, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Bowmanville, Canada
“a positive experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We just came back from a wonderful trip to the Royalton. This is the proper name for this resort because the staff really made us feel like royalty. Our room was spacious and tastefully decorated. The staff is beyond nice. Most of them work long hours in the heat, never a complaint and seem to be pleased to serve you. The grounds are beautiful and the beach incredible! It was very sad to leave it.
The dining-rooms were clean and the food was good although never hot enough for my taste. The presentation was always magnificent. Something i found a bit surprising the three restaurants had the same menus, so it didn't matter where you were booked the food was the same. The service was very proper, one thing shocked me when I saw a chipped plate for my flambee dessert, and again more chips on fancy dinner plates. I think that this should be corrected . Our butlers were both very charming and efficient, Lionel and Aldo. Aldo even offered to use his cell phone to email a member of my family because my cell didn't work there. This is one thing we were not aware of that you need to purchase a special card at the airport for your cell to work. I would recommend this hotel if you like tranquility, good service and a beautiful beach.

Room Tip: We had a main floor room and it was very nice and quiet. It was 902
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Nicole F,

Thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

We will share your wonderful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed here from April 10 to 24, and had a great time. The food was excellent, accommodation very good, and the staff superb. The beach, of course, was terrific.

The place is superbly managed by Miguel del Fraile and Mateusz, who worked around the clock. The grounds are very clean, with remarkably mature greenery considering that the resort is so new.

Our maid was Yaslin, who kept the place extremely clean. Our butlers, Orestes and Yanet, were attentive and checked in every day to see if they could help us. We spent most of the day at the beach, where we appreciated the terrific service of Osvaldo, Sandy and Julian. From quesadillas to ice cream bars, with lots of drinks in between, their service was first-rate.

The food was good, with lots of choices. We had terrific service, and in particular Amaury, Albi, Dayan and Belkis deserve acknowledgement. The piano bar was a great place for an after-dinner drink, with great cocktails made by Eduardo and the other members of his team. The music from pianist Gloria was also excellent. We didn't see all of the shows that were provided, but the ones we did see revealed excellent talent. The same could be said about the various groups that played at meal times.

The only disappointment was from two wedding groups (approximately 35 and 55 people) who were extremely rowdy. Sunwing have to do a better job of getting the word out that this hotel is a quiet destination. I am glad that the hotel in the future wants to limit the size of wedding parties. Some of the members of the parties were embarrassing, and on several occasions I apologized for the behaviour of my fellow Canadians.

That didn't detract from the overall experience here, which was extremely pleasant. The size of the hotel (122 rooms), the terrific staff, the beach and the food were excellent, and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor cost a little more, but are worth it.
Dear John K,

What a beautiful review of your recent stay with us, we can see that everything was superb for you and we are very happy knowing that you will come back.

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I do not always write a review of a resort but when I feel one needs an unbiased review from someone that has been to dozens of resorts I do and this is just such a case.
The Royalton Cayo Santa Maria is a good resort with some great points and it could be amazing with a few tweaks. It is one of if not the best in Cuba. The staff here are a step above and the food is quite good not just good for Cuba but better then many resorts in other destinations.
Here are the positives.
The rooms are large and decorated nicely. The king beds are large and comfy enough. Everything worked fine. The maid service is very good at most times. Our main butler was Anna who is amazing, I have been to several resorts with butler service and she was the best I have ever seen. Honey our maid was friendly did a good job and always leaving towel art and nice notes. The grounds are quite nice but young so as things grow they will just keep getting better. The beach is beautiful and the water is clear, the best part is that the beech is nowhere near being crowded and the beach bar is good also. The lower pool is quite nice and bar service there is good. The poolside grill here is both an amazing idea and delicious. The upper infinity pool is very nice and bar service here is very good as it tends not to be as busy. The resort has several LED night time lighting effects which are quite nice. The restaurants were all decorated nicely, clean and had efficient service. Once again the food was very good. They have musicians playing soft dinner music and it is quite a nice touch. The entertainment staff are good even though this resort is more for relaxation then anything else. They even come around giving hand massages and other relaxing procedures. The drinks here were well prepared and tasty. One of the managers Mateo (spelling) would always ask us how everything was and we do not like to complain so we would always tell him everything was great. The lobby bar was nice and having it air conditioned was a nice touch. The nightly entertainment was good, not the best but definitely not the worst. As for shopping there is nothing at the resort but there is a large shopping pueblo area a minute walk away from the main lobby building.
Here are the negatives which some need to be addressed right away.
The lower pool small tiles and grates that have come off need to be replaced both for looks and safety. The dinner reservation system should be revamped to be done with guests input upon arrival maybe in front of a laptop with what times are available to book. The mini bar restocking is terrible, we are not used to the heat and two beer and two cola are not enough and we grew tired of having to call each day to have it stocked. Each room in the mini bar section should be stocked with a bottle or two of something like rum, vodka and so on in case a guest wants a drink. Anything like this or wine and so on can be asked to be delivered by the butlers but they should already be in room. The buggy service is hit or miss, my wife and I at times can have trouble walking due to injuries and several times could not get a cart for transport. Wake up calls are hit or miss as with many resorts. Sometimes dinner plates would be chipped and need to be discarded. Room towel service needs to be done with nightly turn down. The 24 hour snack bar was not quite as good as it should have been and room service is just items from here. If the pool bars get busy having only one server causes drink service to be quite slow. Ocean view is nice but as good or close as most other resorts.

Overall this resort is very good and I would recommend it to anyone especially if Cuba is your choice of destination.

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice but not as good and further away then most resorts.
Dear guest,

We are very happy reading that you enjoyed your stay with us and you will recommend our hotel.

Concerning your negative points, we will work in June in our lower pool in order to settle this little problem. By the other hand, the mini bar is stocked daily with 2 soft drinks, 2 beers and a bottle of water, that is in our webpage, sunwing brochure and is the srevice that we are offering from the beginning. However we have a lobby bar with a big variety of drinks open the 24 hours as well the snack bar is at your disposal.

We will share your comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Travelled April 17 to 24
Room 1107

There is a a reason the Royalton has been selected as the Travellers' Choice 2013 & 2014

My wife and I have been travelling for a few years trying different resorts throughout the Caribbean, looking for that perfect combination of relaxation, beaches,dining and hospitality. After our trips and with careful thought we ask ourselves would we go back? Royalton Cayo Santa Maria exceeded our expectations in all areas and we would love to return.

Our butlers Yoldy and Diana were excelente. Everyday Mateuse Kos the Lodging Manager greated us with warm smile and a sincere Hola, wether he saw us on the beach or by the pool or in the restaurants. ( he is everywhere, LOL )

We truly enjoy the a la carte dining, the beaches are fine sand , the water was exceptionally clear with no sea weeds, and who doesn't love having an afternoon ice cream delivered to you on the beach.

Thanks to Miguel Del Fraile and all your staff, you have a great team of people.

We have found what we are looking for in the Royalton Resort and are very much looking forward to our trip next year.

Dear Steve W,

Thank you for sharing your "Maravilloso" review of your recent stay with us with other travellers on the internet, that help us to keep on working hard offering our best and to motivate our staff.

Timmins, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Where do I begin? I have never been to an all-inclusive before and overall, was extremely impressed with the service and experience during our stay from Apr. 22-29/14. The room was great, the bed was awful. We had springs sticking out and were sore every day. Sandra was our maid and I am not convinced our floors were ever washed but she made sure everything else was clean. Our butlers, Diana and Yoldy were helpful and very friendly. They hooked us up with reservations (try the Cuban massage with rum at the spa- very cool experience), beer for our fridge, wine, food, etc. The restaurants were amazing! We ate breakfast at Eggscellence every morning. They food was so tasty!!! I enjoyed the poolside BBQ/ocean bar quesadillas (sometimes both) for lunch, then a Royalton burger (no egg) or BLT for my afternoon snack everyday. And to have everything brought to you by the friendly staff was awesome! I felt so relaxed and taken care of. Our dinners were fantastic at all 3 restaurants! And as always, service was amazing. I would often order a second helping of an appetizer or combine 2 entrees because everything sounded so good. And if you are wondering... yes, I gained about 7 pounds in 7 days. The food was just sooooo yummy! The staff that went out of their way to make us feel special were Diana, Yoldy, Sandra, Rolly, Yidiel, Yorkie, Mario, Lilly, and Frank (to name a few). Just a wonderful place to RELAX, be PAMPERED, and RECHARGE! I am so happy we chose this resort. My favourite feature... pool-side exfoliation massages! I had one everyday. What a treat to have your hands and feet exfoliated and massaged while you relax on the awesome bed by the pool. We met fantastic people, enjoyed the nightlife and drinks at the Royalton Café and Sunset Bar. The negative reviews I had read in preparation for the trip were absolutely NOT founded. I had an awesome time and can't wait to go back! My only concern was paying an extra 300 dollars per person for "oceanview" when we did not get that. We could see a piece of the ocean but had another bungalow in front of us. This room choice shouldn't have been an option if it wasn't available. We booked back in October so should have gotten what we paid for. Other than that, the service, treatment, food, drinks, and new friends made a huge impression on us and we highly recommend this paradise. The beaches are beautiful and amazing! Everything was incredible! Can't wait to come back!!!

Room Tip: We were in Room 1110 (bungalow 11) and had paid 600 extra dollars for Oceanview. We were beside the...
Dear Kathryn,

What a beautiful review of our hotel, we love the title that you gave to us" Treated like royalty", that is how we are working everyday with all our guest and we are very very happy knowing that you are planning to come back.

Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was are first trip ever! It was a wonderful experience!
We will return as soon as possible to enjoy another week of vacation.
The beach is spectacular and everybody was so kind!
Loved Aidania (waitress) at the snack bar.
Lionel and Aldo were there for everything we ask for. They were great!
5* Resort 100% !!!

S'était notre premier voyage à vie! Ce fut une magnifique expérience.
Nous y retournerons aussitôt que possible pour une autre semaine de vacance.
La plage est spectaculaire et tout le monde étaient tellement gentil.
Nous avons adoré Aidania (serveuse) au snack bar.
Nous avions Lionel et Aldo comme *butler* et ils ont toujours été super attentionnés.
Un 5* et un 100%.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Melanie,

We are very happy reading that you had a wonderful week and you leav ethe names of the staff that make your stay unforgettable.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

My wife and I were at this beautiful resort to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary, April 24th. What's not to like about the beach and the two pools adorned with palapas and canopy beds always available no matter what time of day. My compliments to all staff for their effort to make our trip memorable. Good food, delicious drinks, fantastic musicians. The grounds were lush with vegetation and very well maintained. In particular, we would like to thank Yuliet who cleaned our room on a daily basis and left of kind notes and wonderful towel art. Our compliments to Aldo, our Butler. Your professionalism and quiet presence to accommodate all of our wants and needs made our vacation memorable. This is a resort that we will talk about to our family and friends for a long time. We have never been to a same resort twice. This may be the first. Congratulations, Royalton.

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!