“El Royalton es MAGNIFICO !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
You added Royalton Cayo Santa Maria to your Saves list
05200, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Mississauga, Canada
“El Royalton es MAGNIFICO !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have been back in Canada now for over a week and cannot stop thinking about our vacation of a lifetime. My wife and I, visited this Cuban paradise, from Dec. 4th to 18th, 2013.

We have been to Cuba now 5 times, in 3 different locations and this was our BEST vacation to date. The hotel staff, led by General Manager Miguel Del Fraile were friendly, professional, warm and caring. In our opinion, this was the resorts biggest asset.

Chef Sebastian and his culinary crew put together meals that were truly indicative of a 5 star resort ! He created many marvelous and creative culinary delights, wonderful considering this is Cuba. One dish was the gorgonzola pasta dish which rivals any of the fine Italian restaurants in the greater Toronto area. All the Servers at the 3 restaurants were truly professionals, and our last evening made us feel so "SPECIAL". Special gratitude go out to the servers at Eggcellence who made our last dinner so special and magnificent. Many thanks to Diamela for the authentic Cuban sandwiches, which were so appreciated and delicious.

To our bar server friends, Andy, Yulier, Alex and Dargis at the lobby bar, many thanks for looking after us. To my special friend and bartender, Daimy, we miss you.

To our Butlers, Yanet and Orestes, you made our vacation special and memorable. You both truly exude professionalism in your work. You certainly took care of all our needs with your pleasant and personable dispositions. You both helped make our vacation memorable.i

We cannot name everyone at this paradise, but cu do's to the bartenders, servers, porters, cooks, groundkeepers and management team. Many thanks to our maid, Alina, for all her hard work and towel art.

As you may realize reading this review, we were really impressed most with our Cuban hosts and staff. This resort is truly impressive. The beach is wonderful, the pools superb, the gardens immaculate and the buildings and rooms well maintained and appointed.

We also made new friends from Austria, England and Canada. We were invited to attend vow renewals on the beach from some of our new Canadian friends. Hello to all our fellow resort goers, you helped make this our best vacation ever.

We are definitely returning ! Many, many, many thanks to the Royalton Staff for making our vacation MAGNIFICO !!!

The computer program was acting up at the time of this review. Please understand that we rated the Royalton excellent in all categories.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OmarD530, General Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear George,

First of all thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

Thank you for your title in spanish, "El Royalton es Magnifico", and thank you for you 5 star review. Its a pitty the computer didnt let you to modify the rate that you gave us in all categories, but if you want to rate us different you can see that with tripadvisor and modify it.

We are very very happy reading your beautiful review of your 2 weeks stay with us, and we know you gave us 5 star in all the categories so if you can help us we will appreciate it.

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Director General I General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
B-Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I wanted to write this review in a helpful manor, so hopefully it work for you:

Flight: 31/2 hours from Toronto. Sunwing however it is often known for delays during the Christmas season, just a heads up.

Arrival: Once you land at the airport you are bused to Cayo Santa Maria. The bus ride is 1hr 45mins so grab your drinks ahead of time. However, the view is beautiful and unlike some Carribean Islands I have been to the drive is not too bad through the cities.

Bank: The bank is located at the market, I suggest using it because we found the lobby charged way too much, since when is $100 CAD $69 CP? The market is close by.

The Hotel: This is NOTa hotel for families (with young children), teens, or early 20s either. It is a calm relaxing place that does not offer anything too crazy.If you want to travel to Memories, which you have access too, you can find the nightlife there. In-between the two resorts is a Market that you can purchase all your needed trinkets. The hotel caters to roughly 240 rooms. I suggest the Oceanview if you can get one or a Balcony room...you can't go wrong with either. The Terrace room would be my last choice, since you lack the view, which is beautiful.

Hotel Staff: Really great group of people. Always smiling and willing to lend a hand. We did not encounter any issues.They work ridiculously long shifts and some individuals there are highly educated, but find being a part of the hotel staff pays more.

Food: A la carte, no buffet. This is Cuba and resources are very limited due to many factors. The presentation of the food is fantastic, but you either like it or you don't, you cannot really blame the Hotel since they can only work with what they have. If you want the buffet again Memories has two that you can eat at, but it is a walk to anything at Memories Resort, but you can also call a golf cart (taxi) to drive you over. We found the biggest issue was over cooking meat and seafood.

Beach: Amazing! White sands and clear blue waters. Some say they had issue with sand flies, but we did not encounter them. We travelled from Dec.22-26th.

Pool: One located close to the lobby (very quiet) and the other closer to the beach entrance which has a few more people. It is never busy and you can always find somewhere to lay down.

Dress: It is an Island so you will always have wind during the night, I suggest bring something to cover your arms with. Unlike other 18+ I found the dress code far more relaxed, a simple dress and sandles is deemed appropriate or for men simply a pair of nice pants and a woven is okay. We usually bring dressy clothes and fancy shoes, but found we didn't need them.

Tip/items left: Tips help staff to make ends meet, but be logical about it. Tip when service is good. Items they need: medications (allergy pills, tylenol, etc.), clothes, fishing lures, etc. Keep in mind Cubans make 10 dollars a month if they are lucky and rely on tips. Also, keep in mind that they must be granted permission to take the items you leave from the manager. Their bags are checked regularly and often they can take a few and the rest are given to the elderly, since their pensions are very small. Cuba does not produce enough food to feed Cubans, which is heartbreaking given they are such warm and lovely people. I find tips go along way if you do not want to carry an extra suitcase worth of items.

All-in-all we met some really great people from all over and always found a group that wanted to meet for night-caps. If you want a resort that comes with your own butler and everything at your finger tips this is a wonderful resort. Thank you to all those who made are Christmas so great! :-)

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

After our 3rd trip to Cuba I can say without a doubt that the Royalton Cayo Santa Maria is the best resort on the island !! My wife and I along with our daughter and son-in-law just got back after renewing our vows on the beach at this unbeatable resort.
I will not start to tell you the names of all the staff who we were impressed with, because I would have to name every one of them !!! The way that these, and all the people of Cuba that we had the good fortune to interact with has definitely given me an insight into the hearts of a loving, caring people
It is with all sincerity that I tell you that if you are looking for a truly relaxing and enjoyable vacation, THIS IS THE PLACE....

I now would like to thank.. ALL.. of those who made the 2 weeks we spent in this paradise the best vacation we have ever had!! .
And yes...we will be back, very very soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Derek h,

What a beautiful review! We are very happy reading that you enjoyed your 2 weeks stay with us and you will come back. Thank you!!

Bowen Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I really wish I could rate the Royalton higher.

We just returned from the Royalton. We have stayed at many of the best hotels in the world so this review is based upon those expectations. I am aware its Cuba (my 5th visit) so have kept my review in mind of the limitations that the country faces. The Royalton has recently been rated #2 all inclusive, so it should be able to hold up to those expectations of its peers worldwide.

I know some of my complaints may seem very trivial to some - my review is meant to give the management some feedback and also for other well-seasoned travellers a sense of what to expect. It may be that because of the highly positive reviews the Royalton has received since opening my expectations may have been too high.

So - here is our experience - the good, the bad - and the ugly.

Arrival - we were met with friendly faces, cool towels and a refreshing cocktail. Shown to our room by out butler and checked in within 10 minutes - good. The room was modern - large and expensively fitted out - marble, tile etc. - good. There were some cleanliness issues - ie rust on the shower door and some corners that could be cleaner than they could be - bad. Our maid though did a great job of cleaning our room everyday - good. Once in the room our butler showed us the amenities, and mini-bar. Which came with beers and soda and a bottle of white wine - good. After he left though we realized the fridge was not plugged in and hadn't been for a while so everything was warm - bad.

Our butler then asked if we wanted extra soda, water beers etc. We then asked that a number of beers and a bottle of red wine be delivered everyday. This turned out to be a daily challenge. One day I was told that the entire hotel had 'run out' of red wine - bad. I am aware this request may be a tad out of the ordinary, but we tend to be somewhat anti-social while on vacation and like to hang out on our balcony during the late afternoons before dinner and during the evening.

Our butler also asked if we had any food allergies. My partner does to grapefruit due to medication complications. This was written down. We ordered room service breakfast the next morning and to our surprise both plates had grapefruit. Now - I know this is small - we can simply ignore the grapefruit - we are adults - but in asking if there are any allergies - the expectation is that this is noted in the room folio before any food is delivered. It would have been better if the Royalton had not asked - therefore the expectation would not be there.

Room service - we ordered room service breakfast 3 out of 7 mornings and one dinner. Not once was our order correct or fulfilled properly. Getting salt and pepper for ones scrambled eggs (even when reminded during ordering) was a challenge..one juice delivered instead of two..no serviettes...and one evening a stone cold hamburger and a very unprofessional room service waiter - bad. Yes - they re-delivered a different dish with the added bonus of ketchup for my fries after complaining - but again I am comparing the Royalton with other 5 stars and this simply should not happen - bad.

Dinner service - overall good - but inconsistent. At Eggsellence one evening the next table got our appetizer and entrée by mistake - this usually is no big deal - except they were 10 minutes ahead of us so when the next table realized they had the wrong entree (and he had picked through the plate (not eaten anything) to make sure - the staff left the plate on the table and just moved it over to ours - at this time cold - bad. Some more training is needed here - a restaurant would usually remove both plates and then re-present both once the error is corrected.. The food itself though would range from very good at Senses restaurant to somewhat mediocre and luke-warm in Eggsellence and Sunset. Late lunch and service at the 24/7 snack bar was very good. The salads are amazing - but don't ever order the fish tenders.

Beach - we spent everyday at the beach - its beautiful - good. The beach service was also very good. Our waiter Dennis - was fantastic - good.

Pool - the hotel was at full capacity during our stay. Both pools are beautiful - good - but we found it very difficult to get any type time of lounger in the afternoon. . Because we tend to sleep in on vacation - unless you get there early in the morning unfortunately there are simply not enough - bad.

Staff - this is where the resort excels. The genuine warmth and sincerity of the staff was evident and very much appreciated. From Reydel at Sunset to the always smiling breakfast lady - (forgot her name eeek!) - was very good.

Entertainment - good. We really loved the 3 piece wind instrument group in Senses. They were our favourites and the nightly shows that we did see were well done. The water-ballet was especially interesting.

Other - went to change money one day - they ran out of money - bad. Why can you order an after dinner special coffee in Senses but not at the next door Eggsellence? I realize they have to go across the lobby to the bar to get them - inconsistent. .

Overall though we did have a good stay. We did let our butlers know when were weren't exactly pleased with things but as you can see - they were not huge issues and we are not usually complainers so told them not to pursue it with management. The management I saw at check in and check out only - never during the week.

The Royalton is a good hotel - it does have so much potential to be a great hotel worthy of its accolades. To do that they need to fix the inconsistences with the food and hone the training of their staff.

Slocker

Dear Slocker,

We are very sad reading your comment and the rate that you gave to us because we couldnt talk about all those suggestions during your stay.
We have checked our butlers log and the feedback that we have is that you were happy and enjoying the hotel with your friend, so we dont understand why you gave us 3 stars.

By the other hand we dont see your review like a complaint, for us that is a suggestion to improve our services and our quality.

We have already read carefully your review with all the management of the hotel, and we are taking corrective actions to settle everything.

We would like to see you here again, in order to welcome you personally and to show you personally the real 5 star that we are, Royalton Cayo Santa maria.

La Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We traveled to the Royalton Cayo Santa Maria in October 2013. We had a wonderful trip. This was our 3rd time to Cuba...but the 1st time we really enjoyed our stay. I do not have anything bad to say about this resort. We traveled with 2 other couples (as this is an 18+ resort) and everybody had a wonderful time.
The beach is amazing...crystal clear water...you can walk for miles. We jogged every morning on the beach and it was amazing. We also rented Catamarans, kayaks and peddle boats. The Royalton is a small resort, therefore, there are always plenty of palapas available on the beach...you do not have to wake up early and reserve your spot.
They offer drink service on the beach as well as snacks...

The rooms are beautiful...the resort was less than a year old. Hopefully they will maintain them that way. The grounds are incredible...2 beautiful pools, superb vegetation.

The food...for Cuba is simply amazing! We have never ate so well in Cuba...seafood, fillet mignon...There are only a la carte restaurants, which we loved as you are served tasty food, descent portions...but if you are a buffet lover and prefer quantity over quality, don't go there. A couple of times, I wanted to order something that was not on the menu and they always went out of their way to serve it to me..

Overall an amazing vacation. We can not wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dorota,

We are very happy reading that you had a wonderful stay and all of you enjoyed our hotel and the gastronomy of Royalton cayo Santa maria.

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed at the Royalton from December 17 to December 25 in Bungalow 10. Are expectations were high as there were many 5 star reviews, I must say the 5 star reviews were all true. First off this was our first trip to Cuba and the staff at the Royalton were by far the best people we have encountered on any vacation we have taken. A very special thanks to Yoldy our butler in bungalow 10 and to a very special staff member, Osneil the Groundskeeper. The groundskeepers are often overlooked by guests but they are one of the hardest working people at the resorts. He on a daily basis had a nice cut flower for the wife and offered us coconuts on a daily basis.

All the staff at the Royalton deserve a big thank-you and we were shocked by the friendliness and warmth the staff were. Miguel goes out of his way to ensure he talks to his guests and to ensures that all their needs are met and they are happy. This is the first General Manager at any resort we stayed at that did that. Also I observed Miguel and his managers who visited every inch of the resort talking to their staff and guest to ensure that the Royalton high standard is maintained.

Now for the resort, the cleanliness of the resort was well what can I say spotless it was the cleanest resort we have been to and we only stay at 5 star resorts.

The food was all al a cart and the butler made reservations for you. The food was excellent and very well displayed.

The drinks at the resort were very well made and tasty.

The room was excellent and very clean and huge, bathrobes, umbrellas, slippers and soaps and shampoos were all provided even an iron and ironing board. There was an in room safe and mini bar that was kept full on a daily basis. The cleanliness off the room was the best part. the king bed that we had was harder than we were used to but Yoldy our butler fixed that for us.

The beach was the best beach we have ever been to, the bartenders to staff that swept the sand of your beach chair were outstanding.

Our highlight of our stay was the staff, I have never met kinder and caring staff at any resort. The Cuban staff at this resort were unbelievable. Then the food, the food was the best food we have had at any resort we have been too. We always stay at 5 star resorts and the Royalton so far has been the best for us. When we go back to Cuba it will be at the Royalton fore sure.

Now that being said there was one issue that we had but let me make this clear, it has nothing to do with the Royalton. It was with our airline! SUN WING we will never fly with them again. We were to leave @ 17:25 hours on the 25th and we never left Cuba until 02:00 on the 26th. We landed back at our home airport until 06:30 on the 26th 13 hours later. Our Sun Wing rep left the resort and there was no SunWing rep on the bus. No explanation except technical difficulty. No apology from the SunWing crew no vouchers were offered for food at the airport and they had the nerve to tell us if we want a pillow or blanket the cost would be $ 10.00 We will never fly with SunWing again as long as we live and I will make sure that all of my friends and relatives will not fly with them also.

I wish that the Royalton would pick another carrier for their hotel. SunWing will lose them customers and they are an excellent resort. Royalton should use any other airline and dump SunWing. I would walk and swim to Cuba before I would use SunWing.

The Royalton is a excellent resort and we will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are good get an upper floor if you want a view of the ocean.
Dear guest,

We are very happy reading that you read all the reviews before you arrived to our hotel and you could confirm that all of them were true and our staff was by far the best people you have encountered on any vacation you have taken. Thank you!!

Vancouver , Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at Royalton Dec 11 To Dec 24 2013
Best beach I have seen and the Hotel is on the best spot in the area .
Great service from our Butler's Anna and Alex , they make sure you have all you need, Extra water in the room ,Dinner reservations ,massage appointment's in the little town right next door .
The Food was good for Cuba and Senses was our favorite one , Eggscellence was good for breakfast but a little bright for dinner perhaps they should dim the lights at Dinner .
The BBQ Grill by the Lower Pool was great for lunch time ,Chicken ,Lobster ,Beef ,Fish , Salmon and some nice Rice as a side dish .
Staff was great Yorkis at the Sunset Grill open 24 Hours was the best Bartender so fast and works extremely hard and is such a funny guy . Franco and Lily are great too as the activities team and always smiling. Alex and Andy in the Lobby bar is good as well and the rest that worked in there .
Even the Director Miguel and Assistant Arturo were around to ask questions and make sure all the guests needs were taken care of Can't remember all there names .
The upper pool is great the infinity pool views are superb of the ocean and nice and quite to relax for an afternoon after a great morning beach walk .
The gardeners worked very hard and were always happy and making coconut drinks for you .
The catamaran in front of the Royalton was a great ride Jeremy is a very good sailor and a very nice guy who loves his job Tipped him after every ride.
We had a great maid in Jany and she kept our room very clean hence the tips and gifts we left each day . We had an Ocean view room in block 7 .
Some things they need to work on as its hit and miss day to day .
Towels not fresh every day as in none available , Room towels not always changed
Service at Breakfast in Eggscellence was either fast of Slow depending on the time and amount of people they had to serve , but its Cuba and relax and enjoy the ocean view from the outside eating area at Eggscellence
Steak Knifes might help at Senses when ordering the Beef Tenderloin.
This was my 4 Trip to Cuba and the first to Cayo Santa Maria the others were to Varadero.
I prefer the beach here by far .....
The only draw back is the 48 Km drive on the causeway so you can,t get out to explore that easily , We did do the all day catamaran with dolphins and lunch it was good.
A trip to Santa Clara was interesting. We went to the Che Guevara monument and memorial site that was interesting . Stopping at Remedios and Caibarien to see the culture was great . The workers have to bus in every day from 1 hour to 2 hours each way and work 12 hour shifts its not any easy task . To see how they live its hard and they need tips daily as they depend on these to survive just for the basics.
Jorkie the bartender works 16 hour shifts along with 4 hours of bus travel to and from as he lives in Santa Clara and works every other day !!!!!

Access to memories is included and we walked over there a few times to have a beer but never ate there as it was Buffets and very busy with 1400 Rooms . The Sports bar served the wine in a plastic cup on one night . That's why its way cheaper to stay over there .
A big Hello to all the workers at the Royalton and Happy New Years .
Best Wishes to all your Family members as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terry And Cindy
Vancouver BC Canada

Dear Terry and Cindy,

Director General I General manager

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!