“Beautiful Beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
You added Melia Cayo Santa Maria to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey, Cuba   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sarnia, Canada
“Beautiful Beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just had a great week at Melia Cayo Santo Maria. Very relaxing!
The service is excellent and the staff is all very friendly.
Great clean room. We had a problem with first room but they moved us when we told them about it. We were in ground floor building 19 which was close to beach path but a little too much in the brushes for us. We were switched to building 20 2nd floor which had a view and was also close to beach path as well as snack bar and bar and pool. Easy to get to everything . This building also on same side as gym so I was able to easily get there for morning workout then beach all in a quick time.
A little too many kids for my liking but we took the risk with it being off season. Did not enjoy the kids who relieved themselves by theatre area in bushes!
Food is what you expect in Cuba. Lots of choices so you should find something. Mediterranean we didn't enjoy but Italian was excellent as well as Japeneese. Great cappuccino s available.
Very restful!
Not liking the transat flight time from Toronto on Saturday. We were late getting in so didn't get to resort til 1am. The advantage of late flight was we had sat at end to spend at beach and pool. However if you don't pay for late late check out you have to leave luggage in lobby. We didn't find that a problem.
If you are looking for a restful inexpensive beautiful place to go this is it!

Room Tip: 2nd floor best but some buildings have raised 1st floor. We like beach so buildings 18 19 20 21good...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was my 7th trip to Cuba and my 4th to Melia Cayo Santa Maria and I am already counting down the days till my next visit later this year.

From my first trip to this resort I knew right away that this place had something special. Having stayed at other resorts in Santa Maria none of them compare to Melia.

I traveled during the week of April 10-17th. I normally travel with my sister but this time we came with 2 friends as they wanted to see the place we call our home away from home. Just like me and my sister they fell in love with the resort and the amazing staff that make this place feel like home.

The ride from the airport is about 1.5 hours but please do not let this discourage you from visiting as you will not be disappointed. The bus is comfortable, has air conditioning and you can buy beer. In other words your vacation starts on the bus. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

The Resort: The grounds of this resort are just beautiful. Palm trees and flowers everywhere you look. You can tell that a lot of work is put in to keeping the place looking so great. My sister laughs at me every trip because all I keep saying is It’s so beautiful here.

The Rooms: The rooms at Melia are big and clean and have everything you could need. The beds are comfortable and I can always count on getting a good night sleep. All the rooms have a safe in them where you can store your valuables. There is plenty of closet space for your clothes. The bathroom is large and clean. The mini bar gets stocked daily with water, pop and beer. Each room has a tv but really who wants to watch tv in paradise. Go out and enjoy your vacation. The maids do a fantastic job at keeping the rooms clean.

The Food: People often ask me what do you eat there? To be very honest I am a very picky eater and I have never had any problems with the food. There is something here for everyone. When it comes to food come with an open mind. Yes it will not taste like food back home and will be different but that does not mean the food is bad. There is plenty of variety for everyone. My favorite for breakfast are the pancakes made by my very good friend Daniel. This man is the sweetest guy around and I love watching how much care he puts into making food. Love having a good chat with him every morning. Saying bye to him is always hard and I miss his pancakes all the time. If you want a great omelette go see Frank and he will take care of you. For lunch you can do buffet or the snack bar or the beach grill. I love the pizza at the snack bar. Go see Yami there and she will make you smile. At the beach grill try the fried fish or calamari. Both are delicious.

Pool: There are 2 beautiful large pools at Melia and I absolutely love the pool area. The palm trees make it look like paradise. There are plenty of chairs for everyone even during busy season. There are always great activities by the pool, music playing. The pool area is also where you can find Osbiel. The best bar tender that there is. Not only will he make sure that you have a drink at all times he will make you smile and feel like part of his family. I wish I was there now getting a drink from him.

The beach: MAGICAL!! I truly believe that some of the best beaches are at Cayo Santa Maria. The sand is white the water is blue and I can not get enough of the beach. I love going for a walk early in the morning and taking it all in. Again there are plenty of chairs at the beach with covered areas. You can expect some activities at the beach like dancing lessons, beach volleyball and a beach party one night of the week.

The Lobby Bar: The lobby bar is big and has space to sit outside and inside. I like sitting outside as you get a great breeze. In the evenings you can expect some great entertainment here like live bands, amazing singers, magicians and you can get a great drink, Juan Carlos and Abraham are my two favorite bar tenders but everyone who works here is amazing and will make sure you have a drink when you need it. I recommend a cappuccino but have it made with some Malibu rum for that extra treat. The theatre is very close to the bar and you can quickly walk over to see one of the great nightly shows. I have been here 4 times and I love the shows and there is always something new for you to enjoy.

For me the part that makes this place feel like my second home is the amazing staff. Through the years there have been some changes in staff but the minute you meet someone new you feel like you have known them forever. I had the pleasure of meeting 3 of the new entertainment staff that have recently joined the Melia family and I am happy to say that they are now part of my Cuban family. Leo, Danny and Carlos Charlie DJ have made this trip an amazing one and it was so great to meet them. They kept us entertained at the beach and at the pool with volleyball, dance lessons, aqua gym just to mention a few. And of course there are the regulars like Denise sister from another mister, Daike, Julian, Arel, Lazzaro and Ernesto. With this great team around there is no way that you won’t have a great time and a smile on your face is a guarantee. Honestly one of the best entertainment staff I have ever seen.

To sum it all up I really don’t see how someone has anything bad to say about this place. It truly is magical and makes you forget about reality for the time that you are there. The beach, the pool and the staff is what makes the resort. Sending out a big hi to everyone I mentioned as well as Yuri the quality control manager.

We were planning on returning in November but decided it is too long of a wait and will be back in June to see and enjoy this amazing resort again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed from April 19-26th. Couple in mid 30's. I have to say I am glad we made the choice to go to this resort. The Staff are so friendly, I wish I remembered her name but the waitress at beach grill was the best. Resort was stunning, entertainment staff was great, food was good (we always found something to eat) 24 hour snack bar and beach grill were my fav and even the buffet on most evenings. Pools were clean and amazing The beach on this resort was absolutely breathtaking and better than you could ever imagine. We spent a lot of time on the beach. The beach says it all. Rooms were nice, but dated. Really though not an issue as all the other items made up for it. We paid for the elegance package and was worth the extra money. The only thing would not recommend is a ground floor. We did have a couple of cockroaches over the week. Again we knew we were in a climate that this does happen. Never had issues with hot or warm water. Danielle from Air Transat was so helpful with anything we needed or had questions on. We tipped well and left gifts but never felt it was expected. As the staff were amazing and they sure do deserve it and appreciate it. I was always excited to go back to room to see what surprise was made each day :). I would not recommend for anyone looking for the nightlife as quiet resort. We did enjoy the Carnival at the Pueblo La Estrella, on Wednesday night ... they had foam, fireworks and dancing. 20 cuc per person. Well worth it and was so fun. They pick you up at hotel if you would like to attend. They pick you up by bus or taxi to take you. There is a disco on resort where their market is and we did go one night but not many people go to disco as age at this resort is older. Seemed like disco on resort was mostly young entertainment staff. All and all I would recommend to anyone as you will not be disappointed. As this was truly an enjoyable and relaxing vacation.

Thank you Melia for an excellent and welcoming stay. We will definitely return to Melia.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear brandyLynnG,
Thank you so much for reviewing your experience at Meliá Cayo Santa Maria. It feels really good to acknowledge what your feeling has been in relation to all our facilities, our natural scenery, and our staff performance. With regard to your comment about the cockroaches in your room. That is not a common case in our Resort so please receive our sincere apologies
We are committed to keep on working in the improvement of our services and staff performance so, I am sure your next vacation with us will be even more pleasant. It will be a pleasure to serve you again.
Best regards,
José Carrasco.
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Another last minute getaway from the cold to the warm sunny beach of Cayo Santa Maria. I traveled by myself and was more than OK with being there alone. A wonderful warm welcome from all my Cuban friends from my previous visits.

Yes there are still things that need to be repaired and upgraded but that is the way it is in all hotels in the south.

Lots of hot water this time and always good service. No problem getting dinner reservations. My room was very clean and the maid service was very good. I will always return. Very relaxing to be somewhere you know the people, know what to expect and to feel safe.

Room Tip: I really like building 16. I have been there 12 times and have been in so many rooms. This buildin...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Dear Susan,
Thank you so much for reviewing your experience at Meliá Cayo Santa Maria.
It feels really good to receive such nice comments regarding our resort. We heartily hope you visit us pretty soon. We have introduced some positive changes we would like you to try. It will be a pleasure to serve you again and we are totally sure you will have another superb vacation.

Best Regards,

José Carrasco
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We were thrilled to stay at this resort. Weather was sunny, hot, humid throughout the last 2 weeks of March, around 30 degrees, but light rain and cooler the day we hopped on bus to come home. Day before that was really really windy with high waves, so no swimming. We just sat beachside and watched parasailers. Beach was top notch fabulous, clean, clear, aqua blue green, shallow sand bar that extended far out. Beach chaise lounge chairs were scarce, forcing people to go out at 6 am and reserve them with towels, felt cheesy doing that. Main 2 pools were very large, clean, warm enough to enjoy.

Food was okay. Ate at buffet mostly, didn't bother with a la carte restaurants, except for Japanese one night. People were very friendly, talkative, and helpful.

Hotel room was large, clean, very nice. Towels were not changed every day but dried on outside railing most days to conserve water. We were okay with that, as long as we got our own used towels back. Large resort property considering only 350 or so suites, two-floor buildings with about 12 suites in each, centre open stairwells with nice breeze blowing through all the time. Very tropical, enchanting feel throughout. Gardens were well maintained, elaborate, beautiful.

We were pretty much pool and beach potatoes the whole time, as planned, but did manage to walk along the beach, ride pedal boat, do group water aerobics, took Spanish lessons from Leo and Yuniet, went to the gym a few times, went on bus trips to small market and to a dolphin centre, and then around the local area. Went to nightly shows in the theatre. Yes, Michael Jackson was there too. Entertainment was pretty good, as far as resorts go. Got stranded at dolphin centre late afternoon, but locals helped us get back to hotel thanks to kind bus driver who was off shift. Went to a late night beach party, very well done with limbo dancing, drinking games for younger folks, lots of flashing party lighting, loud music. The resort had a small poolside pig roast one day to promote a carnival at The Pueblo that night. Hubby got about 3 dozen insect bites on his lower legs, still healing now, probably from sand flies in bushes at beach party.

Special thanks to Leo, Yuniet, and Carlos for their high energy and entertaining us around the pool and making our stay enjoyable. All in all, we had a great time and would definitely go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Stayed on 2nd floor, building 7, very close to beach.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear debraandbryan,
We heartily thank your taking the time to post such a detailed review on your recent experience at our premises. You have been honest, matter of fact, sensitive and also a great writer. Our potential travelers will certainly benefit from all your comments and recommendations and we very much appreciate the good advertisement you are so spontaneously making for us.
We will be honored to welcome you back anytime.
Best Regards,
José Carrasco
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This one of the most Beautiful Resorts in Cuba. The food is better than other Resorts in Cuba. The staff are very friendly. The front desk are very helpful also the pool guy that keeps the pools clean work very hard to make sure the pool area is clean, this poor guy has to keep picking up cups that are just left on the ground by people staying at the resort, Give this guy a break people put your garbage in the trash cans, would you just throw your garbage on the ground at home!!! The general Manager Jose Carrasco is a very hard working manager in all the years we have been going to Cuba Jose is the best manager you will ever meet. He will take the time to talk to you he will take care you in what ever you need. And I want to Thank Jose for your surprize you gave to my wife and I, your made our week very enjoyable. So Thank you Mr. Jose Carrasco. If you want a Great Holiday go and stay at Melia Cayo Santa Maria The beach is clean white sand and wonderful. Once again Thank you to all the staff at Melia Cayo Santa Maria ! We had room 1224 over looking the pools & gardens.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear 161Wayne,
Thank you so much for reviewing your experience at Meliá Cayo Santa Maria. We have been delighted with your review. It feels really good to acknowledge what your feeling has been in relation to all our facilities, our natural scenery, and our staff performance. Your nice praising comments constitute some valuable motivation for all our staff to keep on working on providing guests memorable vacations. I am sure your next vacation with us will be even more pleasant. It will be a pleasure to serve you again.
Kind regards,
José Carrasco.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Beautiful resort with a comparative high standart, nevertheless the beach was the highlight of this trip. Swimming was perfect, with nice shade available, Pelicans flying by.
Say no more, a great holiday.

Room Tip: There are rooms with ocean view, reception will help
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Frank,
We very much appreciate your synthetic and well focused characterization of our resort. I believe that your review may certainly help other travelers while choosing a destination that would really suit their needs and expectations. We really hope to see you soon. It will be a pleasure to have you here in the future Thank you so much!
Kind Regards,
Jose Carrasco

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!