“Another wonderful vacation at Melia Cayo Santa Maria” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey, Cuba   |
Georgetown, Canada
“Another wonderful vacation at Melia Cayo Santa Maria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I just spent a wonderful week at Melia. I have been there several times with my husband, but this time I went with two other ladies. This was a first for myself and one other lady. We were a little concerned, but no need. The staff took good care of us, and kept an eye out for us. They were kind enough to make sure we were all in the same bungalow, with rooms side by side, and across from one another. We felt very safe at night going to our rooms, not that we need to worry at this hotel.
Everyone is very friendly and welcoming, from the manager, animation, gardeners, and everyone in between. There is always time for a big smile, hug and hello. We always feel so welcome here.
Yes, there are a lot of mosquitos, but with a little spray, I didn't get one bite. I wish I could say the same for when I got home! They are worse here.
The bar staff always remembered just what we wanted, even if it was something a little out of the ordinary.
The beach was perfect, the pool gorgeous. The food at the beach restaurant delicious. (there's another 3 lbs!). And the ice cream....so good.
Nice to see the new dancers coming along so well. And the others, so good to see you again.
The gardens are beautiful. The rooms always clean.
We laughed from the time we got there, until time to leave. So much fun, thank you Deivy and your great team. The pool party was fantastic.
The only down side, was that being off season, some of our special people are on a much deserved vacation. Jorge, Danny, Carel, we will see you next time.
Arel, Orlando Lazaro, Joli, thank you for making sure everything was just perfect for us.
And of course the girls at the desk who make sure we had the rooms we requested, and put up with us at all times of the day, you are wonderful.
I can't forget Yoania who always has a big smile and welcome wave for everyone, be it us return guests, or someone who is there for the first time. She is a great asset for the hotel.
I can't mention everyone, but this hotel has the very best, friendliest staff anywhere.
One lady had a birthday while we were there, and they helped make it one of her best ever.
A great vacation, I can hardly wait until we return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

2,715 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just spent another wonderful week at this resort. Have not been here since 2012, and regret not coming back sooner. This resort offers the all the ameneties needed to get away from it all. With 2 pools and an amazing swim up bar you will always stay refreshed. The restraunts offer a lot of choices, and the service is always friendly. We were always able to find something new to eat. The rooms were big, we had a wonderful view of the ocean.

My favorite part of this resort is the staff. We were pleasantly surprised to see some familiar faces, who remembered us! The entertainment team were so fun, thanks to their amazing manager Deivy. A big shout out to Ernesto who is so funny with his Tai Chi outfits. Also to the Dj by the pool who always had a big smile and awesome beats…I think his name was YordyDj. Thanks for finding those songs we wanted to hear…I know they were old but you made it happen!

I look forward to seeing all of you again soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have just return from the Melia after a fabulous 2 week stay. We were a party of 14 guests staying at the hotel for my daughter’s wedding and of course, a holiday. A few of us had stayed at this hotel before so knew what to expect and I’m pleased we were not disappointed. Service still amazing, food great and the staff are fabulous.

From the minute you arrive at this hotel to the minute you leave, you will have a great experience. You are made to feel welcome by everyone and if you have any problems, there is always someone on Reception to help (Anabel, Yusdelkys – just to name a couple), nothing is too much trouble. Of course there is also Jorge, the Thomas Cook Rep who is always on hand with information and advice – one of the best Reps I have had the pleasure of meeting.

My husband and I are frequent travellers to the Caribbean and know what to expect when it comes to rooms, however I have to say that this is one of the best hotels for room comfort. The rooms are spacious and well supplied with everything you could possible need whilst away from home, not to mention cleaned and maintained to a high standard by the domestic staff. We stayed in Block 18 which is right next to the beach and if you send the hotel an email prior to your holiday, they will do their best to accommodate your requests.

There are various options for meals, the main Buffet restaurant for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, the Beach Grill Bar for Lunch, the Lobby bar for continental Breakfast and of course the 24 hour Pool Bar/Restaurant. In addition, there are a number of ‘Speciality Restaurants’, Japanese, Mediterranean, Italian and French. The Japanese Restaurant was our favourite but they were all very good. Thanks to Osmey one of the Chefs and Yans one of the waiters for making our visits to this restaurant special indeed ….

Letica sits in the Lobby bar from 9:30-12:00 every day for the Speciality Restaurants and all you have to do is turn up and make your booking, however, don’t leave it till the last minute make sure that you book in advance and you won’t be disappointed as they do tend to get booked quite quickly.

The Beach Restaurant does a great BBQ every day with fish, pork, beef, potatoes, etc. and in addition to this there are various choices from hot plates, again great food and service.
We ate in the main restaurant quite often as well, again great choice of food and excellent service. Anaivis, Pedro L and Yamile have great customer service skills, always happy and smiling, they looked after us very well during our stay, thank you all……..

The Lobby bar serves the best coffee and the service is great. Huge thank you to; Juan Carlos, Walter, Dany and YoElvis – you are all stars….

One of the hardest working waiters in the resort, in my opinion, is Ossie who works the pool bar. He can be seen going around taking orders/delivering drinks non-stop, always with a smile and those cocktails, in a word, FAB…. Thank you…..

I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Anya the Wedding Co-ordinator who absolutely made my daughter’s wedding day so special. It must be so difficult dealing with wedding parties, getting everything perfect for that special day but she does this with seemingly effortless ease. A very special person indeed and a credit to the hotel.

Finally, a common ‘MOAN’ that various visitors had at the time we were there were the mosquitoes. However, this has to be expected in a tropical location and is NOT a fault of the hotel. The rooms were frequently sprayed as were the grounds but it is just a fact that mosquitoes either like you or they don’t. My husband and I are very lucky in that they don’t seem to like us and apart from the odd nibble we were not bothered by them. However, several people in our party had hundreds of bites ( NOT an exaggeration!!) and were constantly being nibbled at despite using sprays brought from UK and buying local products, it made absolutely no difference, so do bear this in mind when choosing a tropical location for a holiday.

Would we go back to this hotel, YES, of course, in fact we are hoping to make another trip there early next year.

Room Tip: Blocks 17, 18 and 19 are near the beach. Email hotel with requests prior to travel...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Two fantastic weeks in melia cayo santa marie. This is a great resort made that way by the superb friendly staff who go out of there way to please you as if its the most natural thing in the world .
The only negative was the mosquitos at night and nobody can take the blame for those !
Its a hotel where from the moment you step off the bus to be welcomed by champagne and dancers till you get back on the bus to go home to be waved off by dancers and 90% of the staff , the parts in between are just filled with the most friendly and genuine staff you are ever going to meet . If your going with thomas cook george the cuban rep is a taster for what the cuban people are like from the moment he meets you from the airport.
I only hope that as cuba becomes more popular that the hotel and staff dont loose what is a exceptional resort in my opinion .

• Stayed June 2013
Francisco B, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear 1234

Thank you very much for your comments, we really appreciate them.
You are right as I said before, mosquitoes are usual after the rain but we fumigate twice a day to make them dissapear, now it is fixed so without that, your holidays would have been perfect.

Best Regards
Aurora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My two daughters and I traveled from Toronto, Canada and stayed there between June 7-14. We had an excellent time. The staff was wonderful, very courteous and helpful. The food was great. Our room was clean and the resort very well maintained. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I went to Cuba for one week in May 2013. This being my first trip to Cuba, I had prepared myself not to expect too much.
I had chosen this hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor and also because it did not charge a single supplement.
To splurge a bit, I had booked a junior suite with ocean view. It was on the second floor and had two beds put together. Seeing that there was a mosquito net above the bed, I used it the first night because I am very paranoid about mosquitoes. From the second night on however I did not bother anymore because there were no mosquitoes in my room.
The sink was in an open area in front of the actual bathroom.
The room was spacious, nicely organized and very clean, especially the floor. When I was in the room I was walking around in white socks, and there was absolutely no dirt on my soles.
Overall, you could see the wear and tear of past years - the bottom of the bathroom door was bulging, it must have gotten wet at some point.
Also in the common areas of the hotel there were tiles missing, and most of the public washroom stalls either did not work (those close to the lobby) or the bolt was missing (those close to the pool).
Still, I had a wonderful time. The staff was very nice, the food much better than expected, especially at the a-la-carte restaurants.
Cayo Santa Maria is a quiet area, so if you are looking for non-stop partying, this is the wrong place. I just wanted to relax and it was perfect for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Francisco B, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Traveller

For us it is a challenge when somebody comes for the very first time, Cuba is a different place and you need to understand that.
I am really happy that your stay was great even with small points that we will improve.

Hope you share your second stay with us too.

Best Regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travelled from the UK to stay at this hotel between 2nd-16th June. Overall, this trip greatly exceeded my expectations, and I fully intend to return to the resort in the future. My partner and I particularly enjoyed the tranquil atmosphere of the resort, but we also loved that there was plenty of activities to get involved with if you wanted to do so.

On a side note, we booked the trip with Thomas Cook, and cannot fault the service we received from them. The flights were on time and comfortable. We sat in 38J and 38H, and were impressed with the amount of legroom, especially as we are both tall, (I’m 5’9” and my partner is 6’3”), and were both able to stretch out as much as we wanted. I would recommend the seats at the back of the aircraft where the seat configuration is 2-3-2; we liked that we didn’t have to sit next to a stranger on such a long flight!

The transfer from the airport to the resort is very comfortable on the air conditioned coaches, and we found it to be an interesting tour of the Cuban countryside. Beer and soft drinks are available to purchase near the coaches for a couple of CUCs, so it might be worth changing some currency if a drink is a must-have for you. There were staff from the hotel present by the coaches, and they very kindly loaded our (very heavy!) case onto the coach for us, marking one of the labels with our room number so that it could be delivered to our room upon arrival at the resort. This was a nice touch, as it removed the stress of queuing for the case post-transfer. In addition to this, we were given an envelope containing our All Inclusive wristbands, 2 room keys, and some general hotel information as we boarded the coach. We were also introduced to the Thomas Cook representative, George, for the first time.

George is a real credit to Thomas Cook, and an outstanding rep. He is very approachable, friendly and funny; a real joy to deal with. His welcome meeting was very informative, and I would recommend that all future guests travelling with Thomas Cook should attend George’s meeting. Much of the information will already be familiar to you if you have spent a long time researching the resort and the available excursions, but you will definitely learn things you didn’t know before. I would highly recommend booking the VIP Lounge for the return flight from Santa Clara through George. It is air conditioned, and there is an open bar serving cold drinks and hot food- definitely worth the 20 CUC per person to avoid the overcrowded, swelteringly hot departure lounge. If you do book the VIP lounge, you’ll check in at the airport in a separate queue, (which significantly reduces the waiting time), and you’ll be called to board the plane first, along with the people in the premium seats.

We chose to go on the catamaran excursion, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. My partner particular enjoyed the two stops for snorkelling, and I liked to sit on the side of the vessel as we sailed along on the stunning turquoise waters.

One of the best things about the Melia Cayo Santa Maria is the workforce. The staff here are amazing. They are always ready to greet you with a smile, ask how you are, and generally brighten your day. Yanexy at the main buffet was such a lovely woman, she frequently saw my partner and I walk in, and would set our favourite table up for us with water, orange juice and beer (our standard order!). Osley at the dessert station in the buffet made the most incredible banana flambé, and was a genuinely lovely man. Osbiel at the swim up bar always had a couple of mojitos mixed up in seconds for us when he saw us approaching; a very hard working, nice guy. Grethel at the Ranchon was also someone we saw frequently; she always remembered our favourite orders and was extremely helpful.

The grounds of the hotel are incredibly, the gardens are so lush and well groomed. The gardeners are prominently visible around the resort, obviously working very hard to make sure the grounds look their absolute best. However, despite the beauty of the gardens, nothing could prepare us for the impact of the beach here. Before our trip, I extensively researched this resort and had seen many pictures of the beach, the pools, and the rest of the hotel. The beach at Cayo Santa Maria is breathtaking. No picture on Trip Advisor can convey the standard of the beach, I was totally shocked by how amazing it really was. It needs to be seen to be believed.

To address a common complaint I saw prior to travel, we did not experience any problems with a lack of hot water and/or water pressure. We always had very hot water if we wanted it, and the pressure was excellent. The maid that looked after our room, Katia, left our room spotless, and we were very impressed with the thoroughness of her work; she kept our room in excellent condition throughout our stay. We emailed the hotel before our trip to request a second floor room in hut 17, and this is exactly what we got. This hut is the closest to the beach, the ranchon, and is 2 minutes from the centre of the resort. It is, in my opinion, the best hut to be based in.

To summarise, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone. I have no complaints about the hotel, nor the service we received; our holiday was perfect, and I will treasure the memory of it forever. I will certainly be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1726. We had excellent water pressure and hot water, and didn't find any creat...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Francisco B, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Naomi

Your comments about Thomas Cook and the hotel really help others to come to Cuba and specially to Melia Cayo Santa Maria.
Both work just for you to have great holidays among us and when you go back home you can write this kind of comments.

I hope you have the possibility comming again to the resort, we never stop working to improve all we have.

Best regards

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!