“Great spot for R & R - no regrets!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
You added Melia Cayo Santa Maria to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey, Cuba   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Winnipeg
“Great spot for R & R - no regrets!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I have read some of the other reviews since we got back this past Monday, the 4th of April, and some things I agree with and some things I think have been exaggerated quite a bit. We arrived on a Monday, March 28th, and check in was about 5 minutes as there were only 8 or 9 people from our flight at this resort.
Beach is fantastic white sand. While some reviewers claim they awoke at 6:30 am to secure palapas at the beach, I can assure you we never got up before 7:30 am, and yes we may have got one of the last palapas down at the east side of the beach, but it was a palapa none the less, and sometimes we weren't there until 8 am or later. But I have to say the last few days of our trip the crowd changed over and suddenly our last day at the beach we barely got a chair. Probably no thanks to people writing reviews saying you need to get up at the crack of dawn. Get serious- you are on vacation- if you don't get one at the beach you can always go to the pool for a few hours anyway- gorgeous wade in wade out pool with very friendly bartenders Ozzie and Elvis to look after you- we spent a few days there too. Two huge pools and never a problem to find a chair or palapa there. Our first two beach days the waves were huge and we body surfed all day Tuesday- great fun until you realize you forgot to reapply your sunscreen- don't forget- it's super hot this time of year and you will be burnt to a crisp- ask my shoulders! Then we had some calmer days, took a pedal boat out on one, and a hobie cat ride on our last day when it was more medium waves again. I walked the beach that last day too- it was finally cloudy enough otherwise the weather had been hot with only rain on one evening. The beach at MCSM had a bit of a step down and more area vs. the other beaches further down had more kids/ families (at Las Dunas/ Barcelo) and was flatter to walk out. But the beach at MCSM was beautiful, clean, no water shoes needed. No jellyfish during our stay. We snorkeled a bit off shore- hubby saw a starfish walking on the bottom, saw a small school of fish closer to shore, and a larger fish of some kind swam under us as we swam back to shore one day, not sure what it was. It is the end of dry season- we had no bugs!
There were a large number of Quebecois there at the same time- probably 75 % - 85 %. There were a few really obnoxious loud people at the pool bar the afternoon we arrived, but other than that we didn't really have issue with any of them, except for their clouds of du Maurier! Mostly they were older, and they do seem to travel in packs, so when booking the a la cartes they slow the lines down as they are trying to book 8 or 10 people at a time sometimes! We practiced our French as well as our Spanish on this trip! I went to our initial meeting the first Tuesday we were there to chat with Raul first, then over to the a la carte line afterwards which had gone down quite a bit by then, and still waited another 30 min. or so but got all early times except for Saturday at the French restaurant was 8:30 pm. Otherwise 6:30-7 for the other 3.
Our room was spacious, someone came right away and helped us switch the a/c on after I asked the maid to help us, need the card in the slot by the door, then the bar guys showed up to stock our fridge. We only missed them one day- guess we weren't home when they came by. We were on a main floor. Our patio door worked fine, locked fine, we had maybe 10 or 12 ants get in the room in a week- nothing major. The shower worked fine, just had to adjust it for our height, and we ALWAYS had water pressure and hot water- and we showered anywhere from 3-6 pm depending on the day. We were in building 22. Further away from everything, and once we found the east boardwalk to the beach it made our life easier- between buildings 18 and 19 I think.
Food: Buffet was pretty good I thought- had omelette/ egg station and crepe/ French toast station, and a variety of fruit cut up, little baked things, some of the cookies were quite yummy, salad area, and at night the stir fry which my hubby had one time and said was great, had 12 or more shrimp in his, and the pasta bar I had once and was delish. For lunch we ate at the beach restaurant- calamari, bbq chicken are fantastic, or at the pool snack bar- great pizzas and calzones- and had ice cream with lunch and dinner lots! It's so hot you almost need it! The a la cartes were mostly pretty good- Seafood was pretty good, prawn cocktail was kind of different with mayonnaise? but 1/2 lobster was good, and Meditteranean was strange, ordered cod and received tuna because it was Friday? And my hubby's lamb was more like mutton. But the French restaurant was great- 1/2 lobster and "birds flambe" chicken were good, and the Japanese was very good- had cucumber salad, a plate with sushi/ tempura , then soup, then the main stir fry which was tasty, not oversalted as stated by someone else, we had Osmey, and fried ice cream for dessert! For an all-inclusive the wine here is better than most places, on the sweeter side and a bit acidic both white and red, but I didn't think it was watered down like one reviewer stated.
We took a taxi to the Pueblo as the shuttle is infrequent- it's only 3 CUC one way, and they were charging 5 CUC to get in- this gave you a drink and a snack. The snack was a skewer of chicken, 1/2 hamburger, some cucumber slices and a piece of raw hot dog with a swirl of mustard- kind of weird. Bought a few souvenirs there, didn't stay for more than 1 1/2 - 2 hours- not much to see and it was very hot.
This resort had a fantastic beach, beautiful flowering bushes and trees that are well kept, good service from everyone, especially Frank, Sonia, Javier, Ozzie and Elvis, and Ruben that we had many times, no one demanded tips and were grateful to receive them. The rooms were spacious and the food overall was better than we had seen in Guardalavaca a few years ago. We had a great time overall.
Don't forget to pack your sunscreen, face cloth for the shower, hat, books, and your cash- debit cards don't work here, Canadian credit cards will. We would consider returning to this hotel, I would even send my parents here! And grab a few Cristal for the bus ride from the airport- it's 90 minutes- also bring a snack for this.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
JavierRufino, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
We have received your comments about your stay at Meliá Cayo Santa María. I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences presented and thank you for sharing with us your valuable opinions, which have allowed us to identify and find solutions for improvement opportunities in order to achieve full satisfaction of our guest’s expectations.
First of all I would like to tell you that more than working in the hotel, I live in it and it is my pleasure to receive, directly from the guests, or through our Guest Service staff, any comments, requests or suggestions. I would have really appreciated you let us know all your dissatisfactions while still in resort and I am sure we could have found some way to appease your discomfort and make of your stay a more enjoyable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

The beach and personnel were great. Excellent view almost everywhere. Hotel needs lots of renovation. The reception, bar area and number of sun shades on the beach are too small for the number of guests. Hotel has one bar for almost 500 room or 1000 guests so it was hard to find a seat for a digestive after dinner! We had to get up very early (around 6:30 a.m.) to book a sun shade shelter at the beach otherwise beds and shelters were all taken. Showers on both pathways connecting to the beach were broken and left as they were. Little hot water and very low water pressure when taking shower between 5-7 p.m. Buffet food quality was below average compared with the other two hotels we stayed in Varadero and Holguin. Dinning tables had uneven legs so the tables we took bounced when we were eating. Chair legs had no felt so they made terrible noise when guests moved them. The sliding door connecting to the balcony of our room was jammed and the mosquito-trap door came off. Toilette flash jammed quite few times.
The strong points: The beach was great, hotel garden and swimming pool area are beautiful and well looked after, our room gave an unforgettable view of the ocean. Warm, courteous and friendly personnel. We were satisfied the way we were looked after.
The weak points: Below average self serve buffet, low water pressure of shower, neglected necessary repairs, small bar area and scarce sun shades at the beach, some broken too. Too Americanized entertainment programs, not enough Cuban programs.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an upper floor ocean-view room.
Millbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed at MCSM Mar 18-25. This was the first time we have ever revisited a resort. Price and the resort were the initial reasons to go back. But when we got there, we remembered how beautiful the grounds were, and mostly, how wonderful the employees are. Ernesto and especially Marisleidy at the lobby bar are among the best there is. I cant list everyone's name, but all of our needs were taken care of with hard work and a smile. The beach is gorgeous; waves were rough the first 3 days, but then calm after. Get there early if you want a palapa. Pool area is nice too. As for food, we ate at the snack bar for breakfast each day, nice and quiet there. Some wont like the access the birds have to the area. Take Danny some old copies of Mens Health or the like. Lunch at the beach rest. is cooked and served hot there. The buffett was good, hot grilling and pasta stations. We ate at the Italian, French and Seafood al a cartes. Italian our fave. We went to a special lunch at the French rest. for returning guests, 20 0f were treated to a real feast Wanted to go to Santa Clara, which we heard was a great trip, but we couldnt pry ourselves from the beach. Maybe next time. We took a walk out to the first bridge one morning, and couldnt believe the # of fish under the bridge. 35 pesos for a late room checkout. Currency exchange either there or at the airport is almost par with CDN.I was bothered by CDNS who tip with loonies. Dont be so lazy and go to the office and change your CDN into pesos so the person who gave you the great service doesnt have to. Rum was cheaper at the resort than the duty free. 1l=3.85 pesos You cannot access the Dunas resort but you can go the Sol. The gym is pretty good for Cuba. Didnt go to the Pueblo, but it sounds like we didnt miss much. MCSM will always be our default spot for something last minute and around 1000$. I wont be surprised if we return this fall. Only complaint was Cuban diet cola is awful. Will pack some real stuff next time. Nice, quiet resort, no longer adults only, just a few younglings there. Feel free to contact me.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

This place, on a perfect beach off the N coast of central Cuba, was our first ever all inclusive hotel. It was weird – some things about it were brilliant and others were really awful, so ignore the overall rating. We had four nights in late March, starting very windy and ending with perfect beach weather. Our room was good, spacious, everything worked (although bathroom ventilation was limited) and it was at the beach side of the development, well away from the awful noise round the pool (more on that later).

We loved walking along the perfect white beach – good exercise and you can get well away from the crowds. Most of the staff were friendly and did their jobs well before you tipped them, even better afterwards, which is fine. The sea was a perfect temperature and we enjoyed a little free trip on a small catamaran. The mojitos at the beach bar and dry martinis at the main bar were excellent. We always found sunbeds and shade and didn’t mind if that meant walking up the beach a bit. Some of the food was very good, especially late lunches at the beach restaurant.

So why not 5/5? Some of the food was very disappointing, above all a dreadful ‘Japanese’ meal where much of the grossly over-salted main course was left untouched by the 8 people on our table. The house wine tasted watered down and came in tiny glasses. Twice we had waiters who simply ignored anyone who had not yet tipped them so it was a real struggle to get even a small glass of watery wine before you’d finished the meal. Neither got a tip from us! If you were looking at the rationale behind the meal-time system they have designed you’d have to conclude that it was intended to minimise inebriation (watered wine, small glasses) but also to make non teetotal inmates (sorry, guests) totally dependent on the waiting staff at meal times. Tipping culture magnified to silly levels – is it true that chamber maids, waiters and bar staff in tourist hotels make more than doctors in Cuba? It was also rather off-putting (but not the hotel’s fault!) to have so many very fat people waddling around, consuming calories at a great rate and expending very few. If that’s typical of all inclusive we don’t want it again. But the worst thing about the Melia would be so easy to fix. For hours and hours each day there were nasty waves of noise pollution coming from big speakers by the pool – thump, thump, thump, thump, with the merest hint of accompanying ‘music’. That carried across the entire site except for the beach side so we were very grateful to have a room well away from the pollution. We complained and were told it was for exercise classes but that was not true – only occasionally were a few girls jumping around to justify it. Mostly it was left on for no apparent reason: no wonder the pool area was so deserted once the wind died down at the beach. We also had to queue for over an hour on arrival to get our allocation of three evening meals at non-buffet restaurants. We only found out later that we needn’t have queued at all – there’s little competition for the late evening slots. But information on what’s going on is at a premium…

Room Tip: Block 18 is good
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I have never travelled before in my life and Cuba was my first trip ever!!! I did not know what to expect as people always talk about how bad food is in Cuba etc. But we had no issue with the food at all!!! The food was amazing!!! I LOVED the red snapper from the beach restaurant, the buffet had a great selection of food and sweet Daniel always made great omelettes. The 24 hr snack bar was also great and poor Ruben was sooooooooo sweet and helpful.... he was one of the first staff members we met when we first arrived to the resort. We arrived at the resort right before new years and were starved once we got there so had to eat. It was just so unfortunate that there was a spoiled Canadian family that was there that was giving him such a hard time that night. NOTHING was good enough for them. :( But yet he was still sooooooooooooo pleasant, kind and had soooooooooooo much patience, as I was ready to ring their necks myself hahahaha.
The Japanese a la carte was amazing, however we didn't really like the mediterranean or french a la carte. The resort was EXTREMELY clean and the room spacious. We had no problem with noise, bugs or lack of hot water etc. The maids were soooooo sweet and kept the rooms so clean. The entertainment staff was amazing!!!! I really miss Jenny!!! If anyone goes, tell them Jasmin and Tim say Hi!!!!!! :) The beach was INCREDIBLE!!!! We had a few red flags a few times but I didn't care..... we still ventured into the water and LOVED it. I miss that gorgeous beach and water already!!!! It was an amazing experience!!!! And I would DEFINITELY go back again!!!! I love Cuba and the incredible people there!!! They are all so warm and friendly!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Having heard about "the food in Cuba" we didn't know what to expect. However, the food was amazing. The buffet was spectacular. The cook at the night buffet made the most amazing shrimp dish. It was our first time in Cuba and the trip was amazing. The service was unreal. The service staff was amazing...to the extent where a grounds keeper handed us a palm tree fish with a line that he had made himself. We can not say enough good things about Oz and Elvis. Two, two, and two is all we had to say...they were the best.....EVER!!!! The beach was red flagged most of the time, but when we did get to go in the ocean, it was incredible. The white sand, the turquoise water, the cleanliness was outstanding. Maid service was phenomenal. A la cartes were not up to our expectations, but the buffet more than made up for that. Reserve your pool chairs early, it's worth it. So much fun, so relaxing, so much more than we expected. Anyone with a bad review did not fully appreciate what it had to offer. We have recommended this resort to everyone since we've been home. The hour and a half bus ride to the resort was not a plus, but we came home with a new appreciation for the poverty in Cuba. If you go here, and you should, say 'hi' to Oz and Elvis from 'Rum and Neeecole'.....we miss them terribly.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

We have travelled to southern locations before. We would like to say that this resort stands out as one that we would return to without hesitation. The resort is smaller which makes it quieter and cosy. We found our stay to be pleasant and would like to thank the staff at this Melia Resort for all the attentions given to our needs, and always with a smile. The animation team was looking after anyone who wanted to participat in activities without being pushy, this was nice. The buffet staff attended to all clients with a smile and courteous manners, even when extremely busy. The resort itself was clean and the flower arrangements were maintained by hard working staff. The beach is a beauty for your eyes, even though the soft sand makes it a little bit hard to walk long distances on it. Food was always good with a variety that was acceptable to us. The room was large and clean, towel art on our bed every morning. All in all, an excellent resort for the investment and we are already looking at our plans for vacations and a return here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!