“Three for Three !!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
You added Sol Cayo Santa Maria to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cayo Santa Maria | Villa Clara, Cuba   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Hamilton, Canada
“Three for Three !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was our third time at this resort and again had a fantastic time. Have to say we have tried MANY resorts over our many years of travelling around Cuba and we soooo enjoy this resort. Friendly staff, good food and the beach is one of the best. I have read the negative reviews and have to again wonder what peoples expectations are??? The rooms are adequate and again how much time do you spend in your room. The pool was turning when we were there but we had some pretty big storms go through at night so I don't hold them responsible for that, we just went to the other pool. The Italian restaurant was very good and the beach restaurant was fine. None of us experienced any health issues. So if you are looking for a nice quiet, relaxing vacation please do not hesitate to enjoy the Sol. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Adolfo F, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear charmaine,
Thank you very much for returning to Sol Santa Maria once more. We truly appreciate your comments. They are pretty useful for people who have not been here before to have an idea of what they can find in our resort. We hope you come back again. We will be waiting for you.

Best regards
The management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Me and my family have just come home from our family holiday, staying at the cayo santa maria hotel. Again, as the previous post, we were really worried and put off by the negative comments and reviews put on here - especially when people were saying this hotel was a "heath risk" as we have got a disabled child with a very low immune system!! People need to realise that Cuba is an extremely poor country. Yea the hotel is very SLIGHTLY run down, but no where near as bad as some of these comments are made out! You tell me any hotel or complex that doesn't need the odd repair every now and then? Its called general wear and tear - but to find these problems you really have to look hard for them! When we arrived to this hotel we were greeted with dancers and champagne which was amazing for us, and we were shown to our room my the hotel general manager Aldolfo. The room is basic, but clean and comfortable with air conditioning - but when you go to a place like cuba, a basic room is all you need!! Who goes to cuba to sit in their room all day?? Food was ok, some bits we didn't like - but that's each to their own! There was an Italian which was fine dining which was beautiful!! Pizzas were the best iv ever had!!! As for the staff, they always look immaculate and just couldn't do enough for you - treated me and my family like kings and queens - and the entertainment was ace!! The pools were lovely.. there was an occasion where the pump broke and the main pool wasn't able to be cleaned for a day or so, and due to the storms it turned the pool slightly green.. but there were still 2 other pools to go at! and this was sorted as soon as it was possible to!! As for the beach - that was the WOW factor for us!!! Absolutely stunning!!! Despite all these ridiculous comments and "health warnings" put on here, we didn't get ill once (except for a hangover of course) and my disabled child had no problems what so ever!!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone - but if you are expecting the ritz get a grip Cuba is not London!! I find it such a shame that flights from the UK are no longer flying to santa clara and I do hope this changes as I would not hesitate visiting sol cayo santa maria again!! We came home relaxed, happy and with some wonderful memories!!! Thank you very much to all the staff that made our holiday a dream come true xx

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear nicmartin,
Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff work for. We keep working in renovations to give you all the best. We hope you can come back to Sol Santa Maria again.

Best regards,
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have just come back from a two week holiday with my husband and baby and can say the whole experience was thoroughly enjoyable. After reading the reviews on here we were worried sick about our holiday and were not looking forward to it at all. We even tried to cancel as did other guests we spoke to. What all the worry was about however I do not know. Whoever is complaining, unless you have paid five star prices and were expecting five star service then you truly need to get a grip and stop trying to put people off. Granted the hotel is run down but it is most certainly not a health hazard. Take a walk next door to the higher priced melia And it is no different. In fact it has no character at all and looks like butlins in comparison. The sol has real character and despite being in a resort gives you a sense of the real cuba which surely you are going to cuba to experience.
STAFF - I have never been to cuba before but can't imagine you will get better staff elsewhere. The manager maria can't do enough for you with any problems. The same with the main boss Alfredo. Yetzy is amazing and really made our holiday. She will hold a special place in our hearts. Yoel at the beach is great too. I could name many others, Elsa, Lilly.
FOOD - is ok. Some buffet food didn't always look or taste great but if that was the case there is always at least two chefs making food to order such as pastas, fried rice, a selection of meat. Etc. in the mornings you can also have pancakes made to order and the best omelettes ever. The beach bar food is really good. There are fries every day but a different selection of salad and food such as fresh pork, chicken, calamari, etc. the pizza place is lovely with a wide choice of pizzas. The Cuban restaurant isn't too great but the Italian is nice although small portions. You would need to be a seriously!! Picky eater to have a real problem.
POOL - pools are great. There was however a problem with the main pool for three days and it was green. They tried their best with it but needed a part from Spain. Again this is cuba. They can't get their hands on things like we can - you have to appreciate that.
ANIMAlS - cats we're off putting for me but they were very clean and well kept. I just don't like pets. Didn't get a single mosquito bite here but lots of ant bites. I think I saw two cockroaches the whole time I was there. Birds do fly into restaurant but it is not like people make out.
BEACH - beautiful!!
Go to this hotel with not too high expectations and with an open mind bearing in mind the type of country you are visiting and you should have no problems. If you want luxury go to another hotel or maybe even a more developed country. PM me any time.

Stayed October 2013
Adolfo F, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Leaherbie,

We truly appreciate all your comments and thank you fo all of them. They help us to improve our work every day. We will forward your thanks to all our staff and hope to receive you at Sol Santa Maria again.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Before I start I want to mention that me and my husband are not fussy guests,we travelled everywhere before,and been to Caribbean before,but what we experianced in this resort is a health hazard and need attention to all future visitors and managment.
There are only two things about this resort which we liked and which made our time in Sol Cayo Santa Maria,and these are: beautiful sea and beach and cats in the resort.Everything else was terrible and I really hope that whoever read this reviews will pay attention on all bad points,because they are showing real side of this resort.
Ok,I will start now and try to describe this resort the best I can.
ROOM
- Very old A/C makes so much noise,that is not possible to sleep with it on.Water is constantly dripping from the a/c on the floor(and on your head when you are passing by).One day it didn't work so we asked the engineer to come and fix it,he fixed it and we asked him how to fix that noise,then he took some tool and knock the a/c twice and it was less noise(but still not enough to sleep with),next day we were fixing noise hitting the a/c with slippers.Filter is full of dust.We used fan which blows hot air combining it with the open balcony door at nights,which again wasn’t so good because then mosqouitos are coming in.
-Bed were full of bed bugs,we got bitted every night and felt constant itch.
-Mini fridge made so much noise,we switched it off but then next day fridge was full of ants.
Bathroom – Seen couple of cochroaches,towels with stains on it.There was a big window in the bathroom with plants view and that was nice part of the bathroom.
Room service,do your bed,bring toilet tissues,change the towels(often with lot of stains on it) and bring 1l of water.One person do the room,other bring you water(usualy around 5pm).

FOOD – I guess this part will take long time,but please read it until the end.
There are Buffet Restaurant,Italian La Fontanella Restaurant,Cuban Restaurant and Snack beach bar Pilico and Pizza restaurant.La Fontanella and Cuban restaurant are working every other day and you have to book it,there is a dress code which everyone do once and next time come in slippers and shorts.I will comment all of them one by one.
BUFFET RESTAURANT –This place should be shut down and desinfected.Salads are not replaced for a days. I remember they kept there beet root salad until got completely dry and started to get white colour on the edges.Ice cream was in small open fridge and there was only one spoon,after using it everyone washed it in some small sink with a small tap in it and then leave the spoon there.Waiters treat you as you tip them.If you tip them they will run around you,if not you you have to wait for service.I have to mention that there were one waiter and two waitresses who were extremly nice and treated everyone the same,no matter if you tipped them or not,unfortunately I don’t have their names.Chiefs also behave as you tip them.I noticed that certain people eat food which is not in buffet,and the day after I heard a guest setting up time and what will be cook for him that day,and then I realise that who tip ( or who was there before and it’s known as a good tipper)staff/cheifs get better food,which was extremly wrong because all of us payed a big no small amount of money to get there and on the top of that we have to pay staff to get better food.I noticed that ice is kept in a dish with a champagne bottle and there was a coffe cup for picking the ice from it,of course everyone put there hands in that ice and ice is made of tap water.It was really tricky to choose what to eat there and what is less potential for food poisoning,so me as a vegeterian survived on pickles,olives,rice and boiled and baked potatoe.My husband had to give up on meat after one evening eight people got food poisoning from beef.Birds are coming in, so everything is full of bird poo,birds are flying over food,you can see cockroaches on the floor,and ants on the table are regular.A/C is not working unleast you sit directly under it but then there is a possibility of water dripping on you.Same fresh fruits is on display night and day,and even when it cutted for the fresh juice,watch out because lady who is cutted doesn’t wear gloves(chiefs neither)and during cutting fruits she regulary touch her clothes,hug old guests she remember from before.After experiancing buffet I am really thankful that me and my husband didn’t get food poisoning.
La Fontanella Italian Restaurant – Same food on the menu.Dishes with salmon are on the menu but salmon is never there.Two nice waitreses were there,and again I don’t know their names.Guy who seem to be manager of the restaurant is walking around with bossy atitude,checking if everyone who is there have booking piece of paper.Guitarist is trying to make an atmosphere constantly playing same songs and speakers were so loud that it wasn’t possible to talk.Best thing about this restaurant was champagne and two waitresses I mentioned.
Cuban restaurant- This was the biggest joke. First and only night there was like a comedy.We set there,and extremly rude waitress came to serve us giving us attitude all the time because she didn’t understand English.Food was more then terrible.Fish(in the menu named : Catch of the day)was fillet in pieces without taste.Desert looked like someone dropped it on the floor and then spooned it and served it.Drinks were hot,I asked for the cold drink or ice,they said that don’t have it?!
Pizza restaurant was actually safest place to eat.So for lunch we used to go there.Again they never had pizza Napolitana and never had pizza with mushrooms even though they were on the menu.In this restaurant worked two wonderful people and thankfully I remember their names and I am happy to mention them,they are Yusleidy and Arsenio,excellent service and always smiling.
Snack bar on the beach Pilico – We went there once.That’s the place for junk food seekers,so there you can find hot dog,burger and fish and chips.Next to eat is small beach bar with poor choice of drinks.On the side there was a plate with bread and I guess some salads,but birds are always on it.
Pool bar – Once we asked for Mohito there andd that was first time in my life that I actually had to spat the drink.It tastes like a detergent mixed with alchohol for desinfection.Attitude of barman no need to mention.
Main 24 hours bar – This was the place where everyone used to sit in the evening and drink their drinks in silence. After seeing barmen picking ice with his hands and then drying hands on his trousers we decided to don’t drink anything with ice until the rest of our holiday.Best drink we had there was rum,without Coke because Coke didn’t taste like coke.Every night there with rum after dinner washed off all bacteria we put in ourselves with food through the day.
Piano bar – indoor bar,always empty.We got in once,ordered drink from extremly rude girl in the bar,and had to leave that drink because it tastes terrible.
Every evening at 8pm and in the morning 6am,they used to spray diesel fumes to kill insects,diese fumes from the car that drives around and it makes a lot of noise as well.This doesn’t do any harm to insects but it’s really dangerous for people.
All inclusive resort should called half inclusive.As they usualy don’t have the drinks to give you.Lot of old guests walked around with the cups and topping up for a half a litar of fizzy drinks,but when I asked if I can have a can of a fizzy drink I was told off because they are not allowed to give you the can.Well that was Sol Cayo Santa Maria resort was for me.
Forgot to mention that Canadians and Spainsh speakers were treated better then the rest of guests.
POOL – We never used the pool,but as you are walking to buffet you can’t skip it.Dirt,dirt,dirt that’s everything I can say.Looks like they never clean it.
Near lobby is something which is supposed to be pool or fontaine or something,green and dirty and you are just about to see fish,frogs and turtle swimming inside,other then that looked like a abandon pool filled with rain and dirt.
There is a lack of light,so it’s not rare to see people walking with a torch. As it’s a crab season,crabs are everywhere in the resort and there is always danger to step on them and hurt them,as they are usualy walking around in a night time.

On our last day we tried to call our representative in the our hotel to confirm our flight details,but receptionist didn’t let s call from the reception,also we couldn’t call from our room either because line was closed and guy who was suppposed to open the line for us was on lunch.So we had to wait for him half an hour.In the end you can just laugh.
And as I said on the begging only good things and the best things on this holiday were the beach and the cats.The cats giving character to this resort and we enjoyed feeding them,and as I could see other guests loved them as well.
This review was long as I predicted and I really hope that it’s been useful for everyone who read it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Adolfo F, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear DaisyM777

We are deeply sorry not to fulfill your expectations during your stay with us. We also appreciate all your comments that can help us to improve our work. We are carrying out a huge renovation in Sol Cayo Santa Maria. It includes rooms and also our restaurant buffet to make our guests stay more confortable. We invite you to visit us and check with your own eyes the possitive results of this renovation next season.

Best regards

The management
Toth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have been to this resort a total of 6 times throughout the years, I was one of the first visitors when it first opened. My last visit was this past August 2013 for ten days. This is sadly the story of this resort, started out AMAZING but sadly as most of the reviews show that it has really become dated and NEEDS a MAJOR RENOVATION.

BEACH: Is still one of the best I have ever seen. Which is evident by the fact that this resort, the first built would be on the best part of the island/beach.

Staff: Very nice and friendly they try hard with what they have to work with.

Food: No one will starve and this is coming from a super picky finicky eater that only eats gourmet. Some nights are better than others, I never ever got sick.

Overall I love this place its warm and cozy especially the piano room at nights. However I will have to be honest and put my love aside for the place because every year i go back its worse and worse. Its a shame because out of all the resorts it has the best beach!

If the management is reading this can you update me if you are planning a renovation in the near future? It would be a shame to let this resort go down.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Piroska T,

First of all we want to thank you for your comments which help us a lot to improve our work and even more coming from a repeat guest. We are working hard to maintain our hotel the way it has to be. That is why we are renovating our rooms and also we began a complete renovation of our Buffet Restaurant. We are sure you will see the positive changes next time you visit us.

Best Regards,

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is the real review of what is going on in this hotel as of October 2013. I just came back from Sol Cayo Santa Maria. I went there from the 25th of September to the 2nd of October 2013. I traveled by myself while my mother and stepfather stayed at Melia next door at slightly different days. I only payed 515$ to stay at this hotel for 7 days. Please convert your local currency to Canadian dollars on google to see how much of a bargain that is. There are so many misconceptions about this hotel it is beyond belief. I almost did not go because of the reviews from the late September 2013. The stay at this hotel is offered at a great price. It is not a luxury resort, but I can really say I was able to completely relax and enjoy my time off. First of all, it is not full during September which makes it very comfortable to walk around the resort and the beach. It is very international. I was glad so few Quebeckers and Canadians go there since I am tired of these usually cheesy conversations we get to hear at resorts and a general lack of sophistication abroad. There was a nice vibe all around, tourists are mostly from the UK, Argentina, France, Spain. You also had small groups from Canada, Russia and a few other Europeans (Poles, Dutch, Italians). Very international, yet you never felt segregated, I loved it! Customer service was the biggest surprise. I am very big on this and did not expect such a great experience for this price, AT ALL. Also, I did not feel that much pressure to tip which was great. I did, because people were generally so friendly and all of them live at least 50-60 kms from the resort, if not more. As far as the details go; let's start with the beach! It is amazing and sand is so white, you get quite a bit of algae but personally it does not bother me. If you go on the east, there is also a nudist beach and you can walk for a few kilometers towards the west of the island, the beach is no longer as wide, but is very picturesque, almost like in paradise! This is a great plus for this hotel, since if you like to swim alone by yourself or just lay down on the beach without hearing anyone, this is the hotel to go! The Aquatic Centre was great. Jeremy at the Aquatic Centre was introduced to me by my mum, since it is shared by Sol and Melia. I felt like I've known this guy forever, take a catamaran ride with him. The water was a little colder than what I thought, but since I am a huge water loved, I stayed there for hours anyways. I stayed in three different rooms. I am not picky but there were some issues, as example the TV control was not working, the hot water was not working, one day water started to sink from the room up, etc. I stayed in three different rooms and the best ones are bungalows 10-11, they are close to the centre and to the beach and yet private enough, so you do not hear the show at night. Ask at the reception for these rooms, they are very flexible when it comes to the room change. The resort is spacious without being too big. Before going there, I thought it was going to be smaller. Also, you have different four ways to reach the beach, which is great. Food. The buffet was better than expected. They had some excellent cheeses, salami, jalapenos, guava jam, good, freshly baked buns. I loved the turkey they prepared for dinner one day! They were pretty diverse. I did not like the fact that you did not have a place from which you could take juice by yourself (except for breakfast) and that you had to rely on waiters. It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, so I hope the manager and the team will consider that. Restaurants, two (Italian and Cuban Creole) were very good. Bars 5, the lobby bar open 24 hours, beach snack bar, poll bar, a Piano bar (inside) and a Cuban club (bar close to the entry to the nudist beach). Good choice of drinks, you can easily get wasted with a lot of variety of drinks if this is what you may be looking for. The baristas were some of the friendliest I have spoken to. My favorite must have been Yandry. I started to speak with him and within two minutes, I felt like he's a buddy I have known my whole life. Yandry, if you get facebook, send me a message here even if you see this message in 5, 10 years from noe or beyond. I have this thing that I remember people I met while traveling in the past for years! The poll bar has probably the friendliest crew. I also liked Manuel (also at the buffet) and Ernesto. Also, Isabel and Vely at the reception were great. The only person that was a bit unpleasant, but more in a serious way than anything else is that cashier at the exchange spot. Swimming polls were indeed the worst part of the resort, they need to be cleaned more often as well as the water in the fountain in front of the lobby, but hey the small poll in the western part was a little cleaner and the ocean more than compensates for it. Also, the hotel looks a little older than 2001, it looks like it is from early 1990s, but has a great potential with some tweaking, this is a great site, no wonder why they built this hotel at this side of the beach. All in all, it was a great experience for its price. I went to Prince Edward Island this summer also for 7 days and it cost me almost three times higher, for a more limited experience. Finally, the excursions are diversified and the lady from the company Gaviota (that our travel companies contract) seemed very professional. I did not go to any, but Havana costs 180$ and you go there by a small plain from an airport close by. The shopping malls La Estella and Las Dunas are easily accessible by bus that stops in all the resorts or by taxi. I suggest, take a taxi because the bus is slow, taxi from Sol to La Estrella is only 3 CUC. Another important information, if you have family at Melia, you can walk there directly, the exit is close to rooms 59. All in all, I never payed so little to have so much fun. SIngles are not changed extra, at least at this time of the season, Cuba loves singles. I generally am not too big on coming back to the same resorts, but I just may this time around! By the way, I met a retired French gentleman that is spending as much as 5 months in there right now, so there has to be something they are doing right, despite some misleading reviews. Do not be shy to PM me if you want more details on any specific part of the resort. :)

Room Tip: Bungalows 10-11, first floor rooms are also fantastic.