“I’d go back , maybe ...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
You added Sol Cayo Santa Maria to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cayo Santa Maria | Villa Clara, Cuba   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
abbotsford, BC
“I’d go back , maybe ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

May 9-16/13
M&K - Abbotsford, BC

Sol Cayo Santa Maria/ I’d go back , maybe ...

We had a good time, but really had to accept a lot to get that. At the end of the week I was rested, well fed and had drunk well! The service is good, the staff are older and more experienced and it shows. The food (only 1 a la carte) , so it was buffet most of the time, and it was good, varied and it was the first time we saw peanut butter available ! (no bacon the whole week).

This really is the most beat up resort we have stayed in. It tested our range of what we would accept. Not so much in a bad way but the expression "you get what you paid for” is true. Most things we "didn't get” we did not care about. This is now our 8th or 9th all inclusive and we have learnt it is more about matching your needs/ expectations to where you are going - doing the research I guess ... We love a beautiful beach, we got that, decent food, yeah we got that, friendly staff, yes they are, but the actual resort looked battered. Cracked and damaged walkways are my big beef; seriously in the dark this place could be dangerous. I have a flashlight, which I recommend bringing to this place as the lighting is a bit poor at night. It’s not just the walkways you have to look out for - you have to watch out not to step on snakes, toads, geckos, lizards - all totally cool but only if you seen them before you step on them!

This place is like 12 years old and boy it looks like 25 years old. Broken lights, light covers, ponds drained and empty, fountains not working, ground art broken and not repaired and the worst - no sign in front of our building telling us the room numbers! We wandered like idiots looking for our building the first night only to realize after a while that the sign was missing (building 64 missing sign for rooms 6401,2,3,4), not fun at night. The grounds are more or less natural; there are few flower displays and manicured gardens, which was OK with me.

I agree with when someone previously said that tipping in the buffet was kind of useless as getting the same server never seemed to happen - the staff changed often. The shifts changed for staff too, so a nice staff from morning 2 days would be found in the afternoon other days. Tried to give gifts away and could not find some staff for many days - wife figures some are part timers.

The room - interesting - mini fridge was unplugged when we go there. Very frugal re: electricidad - need a card in a slot to keep power/air conditioner on - my Aeroplan card worked great allowing both of us to have card keys. The room is big, the bathroom is big. Both are old. The bathroom ceiling had to have been repaired like numerous times, the ceiling was rippled with cracks. The shower had stains, mold and the tub had been refinished with spray refinish. Think motel in some small town up north .... OK but ...

A la carte restaurant is Italian, lots of pasta and bread. It was good, not great. The building "pond" was drained and full of bugs. There was fish pond around the lobby, and the fish are big. But around the pond you could see litter, plastic cups in water etc. There is just too little clean up going on, lots of cigarette butts on the beach too. I think what we learnt in this trip is our limit. I don't think we will go under 4 stars now, the difference is notable.

For example, we did not get chambermaid service one day at all. We tipped - and well - gifts and money. So I think our maid got sick and was not replaced - that kind of thing. Went to guest services and the next day our room was done.
They have a good selection of wines and booze in the hotel shop - busy place, pop, snacks and souvenirs.

The beach - wow, OMG! It is a fabulous beach. The sand is "quicksand" like soft and harder to walk on than in Ensenachos - there it is finer and firmer to walk on. Lots of palapas but most palapas had holes that allowed too much sun, my wife had to move to the pool for a palapa that had full shade. It affected how we could spend time on the beach as she needs shade or she burns instantly - and ticked her off too.

We loved the idea of the Panoramic bus going around the cayos - and the new pueblos with vendors shops and restaurants. 1 peso per person per trip, cheap and family friendly. Got to love Cuba - $4 for a 26er of rum (Havana Club) , and that's probably tourist prices!

We never saw more than a few minutes of a night show, seemed ok but really can't comment.

The pizza restaurant served the best pizza we have ever had at a resort - we ate there three times for lunch!

My wife's 2 pet peeves - the reusing of table clothes in the buffet; when dirty - turn it over- still was dirty and kinda nasty. The bathroom, mouldy shower curtain and drapes. The bathroom has full window, definitely a design error LOL!

Weird things - the remote in the room was for a different brand of TV. Changed the TV manually all week. Who cares? I grew up when that was normal - before remotes. I know back in the cave man days, who cares. They had great English and Spanish movie channels, one of the best selections what have ever had - even in 5 star places. Feral cats all over, kind of entertaining to watch....

This resort for me from a review perspective is a dilemma, I had a good time, the beach was great, the experience fine but some of the standards are just too low. Would I go back - maybe, at the right price and with company that doesn't care about the conditions. I don't think my wife wants to go back. I had a good time, I had a relaxing time, read many books, drank and ate and was OK with Cuban style: i.e. hamburger with Cuban cheese, cabbage and cucumbers - a Pueblo cheeseburger! You either like it or hate it. I realize Cuba is Cuba, standards are different. Doesn't mean it’s bad. I'd go back... maybe ....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lati N, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, October 21, 2014

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I love Sol Cayo Santa Maria so much that I went back a second time and will definitely return a third. The one-star reviewers are whiners who have no idea where they are and would probably never be satisfied. HOWEVER, I'm sure that your mileage may vary, because:

As amazing as it is that this needs to be said, if you want good service, try this. Address everyone in Spanish (it's easier than you think) and leave tips of cash and gifts that are hard to get in Cuba. The Cubans will greet you with sincere smiles, thank-you cards, and gifts of their own in return. If you don't make friends with half the staff, you're doing something wrong. If you always use English and don't tip, why are you surprised to get slow service? Lose the entitlement and see if what I say is true.

Yes, admittedly, the rooms are a little shabby IF you have a very high standard (nothing wrong with that). If you're okay with the ceiling fan being broken and seeing the occasional little cockroach in the evening, as I am, you'll be fine. This is a communist régime; repairs are slow sometimes. This is the tropics; there are bugs. You are neither in Canada nor in Europe. Leave a gift for the chambermaid every day, and put your towels in the tub if you want new ones. She will do a beautiful job. I love the rooms.

The beach is spectacular and quite uncrowded. People are very respectful of the clothing-optional area where you can get a full tan without gawkers. The buffet is so-so (normal for Cuba), the Italian restaurant is to die for, and the pool bar sandwiches are scrumptious. There is delightful and varied entertainment every evening, and a nightclub at nearby Pueblo la Estrella filled with Montreal party girls dressed to the nines.

If you are looking for a small, intimate resort with character, on a remote little island, staffed by beautiful and charming people, the Sol is an earthly paradise. If you are looking for high luxury, lots of activities, or a busy atmosphere, go somewhere more central and more expensive. For an Americanised country, go to Mexico. As for me, I had an absolute blast and wanted never to go home again.

Room Tip: Don't pay for ocean view; it's just a strip on the horizon. Second floor for fewer bugs. B...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We arrived May 9, departed May 16. The rooms were decent, gaps under the door allowed beetles and ants in, but there were no mosquitoes inside. None outside either. Pavements and walkways cracked. This was not such a big deal considering this was the cheapest resort on the strip. If we went with Melia Cayo next door, it would have been an extra $2-300 per person for the same week. Nicer grounds, better maintained. We were allowed to visit next door as these two resorts are run by the same parent company. One other thing that was a negative on this trip occurred on our first night. We had the pleasure of being kept awake by noisy neighbours. They talked and slammed doors and ?? all night long, from 11 pm to 5 am. Then it all started again at 7 am. We finally went to the front desk to complain and was told to go to see customer service around the corner. I thought it was odd that they don't handle complaints at the front desk. But this was the turning point of our vacation. We met Melvia (customer service lady) and she was awesome. She was apologetic and showed us two alternate rooms. Our new room was closer to the main area of the resort but it was much quieter. We finally got to sleep each night after that. The staff at the resort were all very accommodating, always saying hola to us each time we approached. The staff at the buffet were also very nice, especially Vivian and Gladys. If you go, try to seat in their section. The food at the buffet was better than I expected, especially after hearing from others who have gone to Cuba and were disappointed. They had everything you would want other than crab or lobster. I thought they would, as I saw photos from others from previous trips. Maybe it's not in season? They had several stations during dinner: breads/buns, roast (either chicken, pork, or beef), meat (pork, chicken, beef) grill, seafood grill, pasta, fruit/cakes/ice cream, salad bar. One night they had a sushi station. Lunch is about the same but a lighter affair; and breakfast was everything you wanted, except no waffles. They had crepes, which were decent.
The pizza was pretty good, and I'm not a big fan of pizzas to begin with. This restaurant was located near the beach at the west end of the resort.
Would I come back to this resort, absolutely. The staff, the beach, and the price makes up for the conditions of the hotel. If you don't mind an older hotel, want the best beach on this strip, nude sun bathing, and friendly staff, and the cheapest on this strip, then I recommend this hotel. If you want new buildings, then try the others on the strip. This was the beginning of the low season and you will see a turn over of guests. Less Canadian and European (since we are starting our summer) and more South American (Argentina, Cubans, etc).

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Halifax,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I hesitated a bit in giving this resort a our star rating,, but then I remembered the good points and between the absolutely incredible beach and the surprisingly good food the scales were tipped.

Rooms:
The room we had was sold as an 'ocean view'. We could see the ocean from it, over the jungle of trees between us and the beach, but our first morning out there we were immediately covered in tiny teensy bugs. The view was not worth the extra 75 bucks in any case. Save it. If you want to look at the ocean... walk to the beach. The resort is old and a shows it. This is not important to me. I like cleanliness and I am terrified of bugs so this is important. One night our room was filled with strange flies, I assume because we had left a light on and there was a gap under the door. The resort is extremely tropical and wild... we left a towel along the bottom of the door for the rest of the trip and had no issues. The screen door to the patio was difficult to get open and closed. These are minor things to me... room not so important. Clean linens and bathrooms were present. I'm happy.

Pool - this is a small resort with one long pool. And there were lots of people at the resort it seemed, I just don't know where they went all day! The few times we stayed in the pool we had it to ourselves a lot of the time or there would be a few others nearby. Crazy quiet and relaxing.

Service - I found the staff 'serious' here. Nobody really smiled very much at the lobby counter, although I wondered then (And still do) if it is just language barrier. A lot of staff could not speak English well at all. They seem to be reserved at first but then as they get to know you they relax and are much happier and more open and sweet with you. Take time to get to know them and they will then be very good to you. Even the girls at the check in counter thawed out after we asked for extra towels or water in the fridge, if anyone thinks you are missing something they will handle it with a smile for sure. The staff in the dining room were the absolute best and the ladies in the pool bar (not a swimup just over the pool) were very fun!

Food - This resort has been described in some places as a 3 star and that very well may be but not the food. I almost starved at a five star in Mexico but the food here at this resort was overwhelmingly good. Like not just one or two good things.. every station had food that was good. Steaks, grilled chicken done to your liking... pasta made for you... carvery every night... we had heard rave reviews about pizza at one of the places closer to the beach but their pizza oven was broken and we never got to try it! There is also a place on the beach with grilled chicken etc that served excellent food. I was blown away quite frankly.
*** bit of an issue with bleach in the drinks. (!! I know right!) The cleaners toss around a lot of powdered bleach like cleaner. It gets everywhere and occasionally doesn't dissolve. I had a tiny speck of it in my mojito and it burned my tongue. My friend also got this during the week. We thought it might be on the implements they stir with or the thing they smush the mint and lime with in the mojitos. We couldn't figure it out. It is kind of a big deal... we made a joke of it and when going to the bar would tell the other one 'get me a mojito.. no bleach' but they need to ensure this isn't happening. Bleach - just one crystal of that cleaner - seriously wacky stuff when contact on the lips or tongue. This ONLY OCCURED AT THE BAR OVER THE POOL!!
Brilliant coffee at the breakfast bar... we asked them to put ice in it and they thought we were nuts had never heard of it. I asked them to name it after me but don't think they did. lol

Beach - the beach here is so flippin perfect the accommodations could be tents and I'd still call it four star. It is huge. It was quiet (again where was everyone?) You have a pretty good square footage of space to yourself. There is nudity... moreso to one side of the beach. We loved it topless. But bottomless was ok too... for men and women. OF all ages. Nude beach, not just topless. IF you are a prude don't bother... or go to the other side of the beach lol.
The sand is the finest sand ever I've seen, no bugs at the beach.. lots of chairs... so quiet and peaceful... the beach is just amazing. And the lifeguards quite frankly are all quite handsome lol.

Entertainment - talented people but not on the scale of a big 5 star. I could care less about entertainment myself, not a priority for me. There was no disco (May 2012) but it appeared they were renovating one so perhaps there is one now. This was nowhere near a party resort, but there was an option to shuttle out of the resort and go to a club. (we didn't do this)

This resort is surrounded by a few other resorts of much higher caliber... another duo of single girls we met from Canada were on their second trip here and loved it... although they called it the Ghetto resort of Santa Maria lol. All that means is that it is older, bit run down in appearance but structure fine. The food, the beach, the peace and quiet, made for a holiday that was rejuvenating. IF you are looking for partying, singles, nightlife etc... do not go here. If you are looking to read and relax, recharge batteries, eat well and be a beach bum this is the place.

There were lots of bugs, little tiny flies (no see-ums) in the morning and night. They didn't bite me once, but my friend (who has very pale skin compared to mine) was eaten alive. She does not wish to go back.

Excellent trip if you get a good price.. and can overlook the imperfections.

Room Tip: Don't bother asking for ocean view... not worth any extra bucks.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Mississauga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My first time in Cuba! Have been to many 4 and 5 star resorts before and would consider this to be a 3 star. Was here from 03-May to 10-May-2013 with my 15 yr old son. You get what you pay for as this hotel is the oldest along the strip. The food is ok except the thin crust pitza's which were quite good. The pool and beach bar's give you watered down drinks. Las Flamencos had the best pitza's and drinks. The patio bar was also good for the drinks. Yasmany and Eddie gave very good service for buffet. Cary at La Piqua was very good. The Italian a la carte restaurant was not good. The food here is not good. I could not finish my meal but the waitress was doing a smashing good job and also the musicians were excellent.
Rooms are big, clean but not very functional. The a/c goes on at one speed and does not cut off at desired temp. Result being that I had to get up in the middle of the night to shut it off.TV was flickering for 4 days and after complaining twice it finally started working properly. Dionalys, the room attendant was courteous did clean the rooms efficiently.
Enough of the complaining, the staff were not the greatest but were always smiling and what you got for the stay was adequate for the money paid. The beach is the redeeming feature of this hotel. It isso clean and the watrers so blue... awesome. Other stretches of the beach looked crowded.
All in all, had a good time at the hotel but don't know if I will visit again....probably will want to visit other places in Cuba.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room to avoid the creepy crawlers getting in the room after a heavy shower.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

muskoka canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed at Sol Cayo Santa Maria April 24 to May 8.

This was our 8th trip to Cuba, but the first to CSM. We always go 4 Star and have always been delighted with the resort we chose.

I always use Trip Advisor to choose my Cuban vacation. I usually dismiss the totally negative reports, as some people are never happy with anything. As regarding Sol, they were actually right. I’ll break down the resort into departments and give you my honest opinions on them.

Beach: The beach is consistently beautiful in it’s entire length, so use this to pick your location, but not the resort itself. Sand drops quickly at the waterline, so you are very soon in deeper water; if you are not a swimmer you will be staying very close to shore.
There is a “reef” at the far western end, but it is flat and featureless with almost no fish or coral, as it receives the full force of the ocean waves. The only fish I found were a few small reef fish along the rocks at the western end of Sol’s beach. Definitely not a reef-diving destination. However, the Catamaran excursion takes you to an actual reef in more protected waters.

Hotel Staff: The reviews on the staff were very complementary and played a major factor in choosing this hotel. And yes they were great, and we made several very good friends among the servers. But this in itself was not enough.

Food: This is where we start to go downhill. I know it is said Cuban food is bland, but in all of our other visits this was not the case. It seemed that any food that was pre-cooked was totally overcooked; vegetables were mushy and meats and fish were usually hard and dry. If you stay with the fresh grill, you will get properly cooked meat and fish. Pasta and Pizza is available freshly made, and fruits are plentiful when in season. We were always able to have a decent meal, but never saw shrimp or crab and I didn’t expect to see mounds of Tilapia imported frozen from China at a Cuban seafood grille!
You may or may not get used to the plentiful Mockingbirds in the Buffet restaurant who freely share the salad and bread bar with the guests, with little apparent intervention from staff. Deserts were on the sweet side, with mostly icing and sugary items.

A La Carte: Sol advertises two of these, but one was closed and under renovations, which we were told by Customer Service would be completed by our second week. It seems Cuban renovations consist of a gutted building with workers sleeping in the shade during the day. Nothing changed in the two weeks. There were two other facilities which could have functioned well as a replacement, but these were not used.
We went to the Italian A La Carte twice, as we couldn’t believe it could be that bad more than once, but it was. Ambiance and service is fine, but the entrees were inedible. The fish we had the first time was so overcooked it was like compressed wood fibre, and the beef the second time was so tough it should have been put through a blender.

Rooms: Clean enough to start, but in bad repair. The safe was broken when we checked in, and we waited ages for a technician who simply pushed the broken parts together. The air con only had once speed, “blast” so we wanted to use the ceiling fan, which didn’t work. Customer Service told us “they are all broken, we don’t fix them anymore”!
After that we struggled with heavy closet doors which were jammed in their tracks and a TV which flickered on and off the whole time.
It must have been an architect with a sense of humor who designed all of the rooms with a picture window in the bathroom! I rather enjoyed showering looking out at the jungle, but it might have been a bit different in the suites where the windows face the public walkways. Gotta hope that blind doesn’t pop up, Girls!

Housekeeping: Despite the fact we tipped well, it was hit and miss whether the bathroom was cleaned or not. Finally had to leave a note on the mirror to Please Clean the Bathroom, which actually worked. Yes, the towel elephant and swans are cute, but I’d rather have a clean toilet than a towel heart; and why the hell would you use a soiled wet towel to make one in the first place? Yuk!

Grounds: I got the distinct feeling that Sol had been abandoned for about ten years, and had only recently re-opened. Some units are so overgrown with jungle they look like a newly discovered archaeology site. Much of the shrubbery is dead or dying and in very poor condition. The few gardeners I saw spent endless hours raking leaves from patches of grass and sand, while ignoring piles of palm fronds and garbage which sat for days in the public areas.
There are a number of water features and ponds in and around the front lobby; must have been nice in days past, but they are now fetid pools of murky algae and debris. Perhaps one of the gardeners could put on some boots and remove the accumulation of garbage in these ponds which has obviously been there for months if not years. How can management walk past this mess and not have someone assigned to cleaning them out?

Management: There Is??? Saw various white shirts walking between offices, but never once saw a manager interacting with the guests. This was totally different from the other resorts we have been at where the manager was very visible and accessible to us. I guess they are tired of complaints and it’s easier to just stay out of sight.

If you stayed with me this far, congratulations, but I really wanted to do a comprehensive report. We had a good time, and enjoyed ourselves; most of these deficiencies could be rectified with very little capital expenditure, simply by better management and allocation of resources. It might even deserve a Four Star rating.

If low cost is your only condition, then go to Sol. But I wish we had spent a bit more money and gone to either of the two Melia resorts right next door. Walk over to them and it is like a portal to another world!

We will return to CSM on a future trip, but no way will we go back to Sol!

David

Room Tip: To reduce the "fauna" which slithers under the door, ask for a second floor room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

new brunswick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My partner and I spent a week at the Sol Resort and would not hesitate returning there again.
We just wanted a quiet restful week so this was one of the reasons we chose Sol Melia.This was our 8th trip to Cuba and one of the most enjoyable. Cuban beaches are always so beautiful and since it wasn't high season, there was always a palapa available on the beach. Also no line-ups anywhere especially at the buffet and bars. The rooms were very large, airconditioned and clean with large balcony. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. We had problems with the safe password and someone was in the room to fix the problem within a few minutes. One of the closet doors kept falling off its tracks and it was repaired same day. The food was very good and lots to choose from. The pizzas at the beach snack bar were the best! Lots of choices and service next to none.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Management

Been to Sol Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!