“Awesome vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort
You added Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort to your Saves list
Caibarien Villa Clara, Cuba   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Hamilton, Canada
“Awesome vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Was away Jan 9-Jan 16. Wouldn't hesitate to return! The trip started with a couple hiccups, but overall an amazing week! My boyfriend had requested a king sized bed with ocean view but we were situated in a room with 2 single beds. We went back to the front desk a couple of times, and after a couple of frustrating interactions, they managed to sort things out for us very quickly by the following day with the assistance of general manager, Oliver. We met a few other couples who had the same complaint, so be sure you follow through with your requests if you are wanting a King sized bed before you arrive. The weather was gorgeous! Beaches clean and although busy, always a beach chair available. We were happy with the food at the buffet - yes, it's Cuba, but we were not lacking in any way. Food was always tasty, and hot, with fairly short line ups at grilling stations (this hasn't always been our experience at some of the previous resorts we stayed at). For breakfast, omelettes or pancakes everyday, and at lunch and dinner fresh fish grilled daily, or beef or pork or chicken, always lots to choose from. The a la cartes were a bit of a waste of time. In fact, we booked a few a la cartes, but ended up being disappointed in them, leaving, and going back to the buffet. A special thanks goes out to Jorge from the buffet - he was #1!!!! - always smiling and helpful! Never had to ask for a refill for our water or juice or wine. Our interactions with him were amazing. Carlos from the bar - great too!!! Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Memories. A great escape!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
edgar2607, Manager at Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Hello we are glad to know that your holiday in Memories, were the best, and we hope to serve you in the future again, consider Memories , as as your second house.
We will be Waiting for you all the team , to please you.

Edgar Ortiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,324)
  • Polish first
Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

The overall resort is gorgeous, the ocean and the beach is wonderful with white sand and crystal blue water. The hotel rooms were alright, they were clean, and well stocked with the required necessities. We took our 5 month old with us as we were attending a wedding. They were very accommodating with kids, from the pool, to the children play areas for the younger ones to get out of the heat and humidity. I would highly recommend taking a stroller and your own playpen. They do have cribs that you can request but are quite run down. Some rooms have 1 queen bed or 2 super twin beds. We requested a queen and ended up with 2 twins. There is air conditioning in the rooms and they also have patio doors going into the balconies. You may want to keep your screens closed as geckos can easily make their way into your rooms. They do supply beach towels that you can use and trade in for new ones at the towel trade in area near the pool. The food was ok very bland. They do have 2 buffets available and for people like myself who don't step out of their comfort zones when it comes to food there are French fries, pastas, all different types of breads, and pizza. The buffets are huge and if you can't find something that looks appealing to you than your simply looking to hard. There are small biting flies that come out at night so be sure to pack a mosquito net if traveling with a young one :-)

• Stayed January 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Thanks again to all the great staff team of the beautifully maintained property (Memories Paraiso and Azul)... no doubt on one of the most beautiful and clean, clear waters I have experienced in the Caribbean region...

My family and I just returned from another one-week vacation (Jan. 10th-17th) at Memories Paraiso... our second vacation on this property.

The Room: we stayed in building (Bungalow) 34 on the 3rd floor. Our room was ample and clean, well decorated, and beds comfortable. The bathroom nice and very clean, but this time they had some issues with TP supply for the first two days. However, they provided us with plenty boxes of soft tissue (Kleenex type) while their shipment arrived -so, no biggie there-...

The cleaning ladies did a nice job keeping not only the rooms, but the whole building spotless. Our balcony also large with table and a couple of chairs... where my wife and I would enjoy a couple of cold beers at night (complementary and restocked daily) from the mini-fridge... nice touch! Also, never saw a single bug in the room.

Once again the staff team made it very special in every way possible... from the buffet staff in both the Paraiso and Azul sides; who were always friendly, smiling and professional, to the Lobby bar staff –both sides- (Lisleidy, Yaisel, Yusbel, Yoel, Danny Daniel, etc.) ever friendly and cordial… this year, they had mobile mini bars going around different areas of the lobby and paths to the Theater!!! Great idea!!! Worked really well keeping the busy bars more accessible to all… no big lineups anymore!!! Kudos to Management for this improvement over last year!

The Buffets (both sides): large and well appointed, and as mentioned above "the staffs were super". The food variety was good for breakfast; nice "dollar pancakes and crepes, cereals and abundance of breads and delicious baked goods, Egg stations for scrambled eggs, omelets, etc., bacon, hams and deli meats, cheeses...

Lunch and dinner; abundant fresh tropical fruits and vegetables to diverse seafood, and lovely cuts of different fish... again, loved it. There was also chicken, pork chops and loin, as well as some steaks and burgers, though I did not try them... as I go there for the fresh seafood... again, a variety of choices, even for picky eaters... We travelled with two vegetarian people in our group and even they were happy with the variety of choices!

The restaurants; are good too, and their staff equally special. This trip we tried the Italian and the Mediterranean grill -by the Paraiso Pool... where Lisandra and her staff made us feel at home… The food at the Mediterranean Grill (soups, salads and lobster dinner, and deserts) was delicious and well presented!!! The Italian restaurant was good too with good menu choices... Also decent house wines -red and white- and some nicer choices if you must, but those aren't included, but available.

At the Pool bar –Paraiso side- (Vicelys, Ariel, Aramis) fun group of guys to chat and have a joke with, the pool guy (David) kept the pool area tidy and clean, the lobby cleaning staff (Silvia, again) who kept the premises clean, always friendly and happy to say “hello”.
We were impressed once again with the high quality and selection of entertainment for the whole family. My two girls had a great time in the “Kid’s Club” and we enjoyed the games and shows at La Parranda theatre every night, … Also the live Cuban Music Band, great music... what a treat! Another great show was the Karaoke party with DJs and the big Bubble machine at the Parking Lot… was a great party for the whole family!!!

General Facilities: Beautiful hotel, all around pretty with a touch of tropical luxury and class, without being tacky, nice architectural details of the Lobby and lobby-bar area.
The pools where very nice, large and well designed to accommodate families with kids as well as people with access limitations... even wheelchairs. The beach, gorgeous and equally accommodating -with a little help and creativity!- but in general friendly for special needs access.

We've been travelling to Cuba every year for some years (Santiago de Cuba once, Varadero once, Cayo Guillermo once, and Cayo Coco four times) and now Cayo Santa Maria twice. It has always been a good experience and a great holiday, but I have to admit that Memories Paraiso has now become our favorite... the beach alone is a site to be seen! Add to that a well-appointed hotel and great staff, you have a winning combination... we'll comeback again!!

Note to Management: Thanks for your flexibility in accommodating our family with a late check-out (Sr. Oliver Soarez and Sr. Miguel Fernandez), and all the new improvements to the resort and the new amenities… Sr. Mohamed, Sr. Oliver, etc… keep up the good work!

I hope this review is of use to people and if there is anything others feel I didn't review or missed, please let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Room Tip: For noise and comfort stay in the top floors!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
edgar2607, Manager at Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello, Thank you for your comments, we are very happy to know that you enjoy our beaches and our a la carte restaurants, hope to attend you again , come back and enjoy the warmth ofOur staff .
Memories, will always be welcome,

Edgar Ortiz...
Welland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at this resort from January 12-19. My husband an i brought our 9 year old niece with us. We booked the Diamond Club Oceanview balcony and we were not disappointed. There was nothing extra special about the room, we received a room with a king size bed and a cot. The room was a nice size (it was large enough to still have lots of moving room with the cot in there). It was cleaned and we received fresh towels every day. We stayed in building 54 on the Azul side. The beds were a little hard but i never woke up with a stiff back, i had a good sleep every night. Fridges were restocked every day (we were usually in the room when the guy showed up so we got to talk to him for a bit and he was a very sweet guy).

The beach was amazing. We didn't get to spend as much time there as we would have liked because we ended up having crappy weather the last 3 days of our vacation. It was really overcast and the strong winds made it quite cool.

The pool was good, nice and clean. Plenty of loungers but you have to get up early to save one if you want to be in the shade. The staff at the pool bar are friendly. The guy that works in the little grill right on site at the pool is just a wonderfully sweet person. On our second to last day he brought my niece a gift that he had his girlfriend make for her, it was very sweet.

We didn't spend to much time in the lobby as we are early to bed people when on vacation because we like to be up bright and early.

As for the food, this is the part that is a little difficult. We ate at the Japanese restaurant which was wonderful (you pay 22 peso's per person but it is well worth it). I am a bit of a picky eater so i do not like to eat things unless i know what they are and some of the food is not labelled. I did not starve by any means, but there wasn't really anything that i found to be wonderful except my eggs made fresh for me every morning.

The one thing about this resort that really stands out is the staff. They were absolutely wonderful. Very sweet and accommodating. I wish i could have these people working at every resort i visit. I was also pleasantly surprised at how many of them could speak english as well as they do, you would think that for most of them that it was their native language. Each year i go away i try to learn a little more spanish to try to help me communicate better, but this year i did not need to at all!!!

We did the Catamaran with dolphin interaction excursion. It was a great day and i do recommend it.

Overall i think it is great value for the money. I can't say for certain that i would return because we like to try a new place every year. It you don't sweat the small stuff you will have a wonderful time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We are heading to Cuba on Feb 4 for a week at Memories Paraiso Azul and can't wait to get there! Each time we go it gets better and better. Looking forward to seeing our many friends who work there and finding out how their kids have grown. Save us a spot on the beach 'cuz that's where we are headed.

Room Tip: Oceanview always! Go to sleep with the sound of the surf and the gentle breeze. No need for A/C at C...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I can't say everything is perfect, but everything is beautiful. Room was cleaned every day and the people were nothing but friendly. Most vacationers I talked with were very happy with the resort. The few I got negative reviews from were the same ones when asked if they left a tip said why should we, we paid enough. Really leave a peso or two and see how much more you get. Remember they are only paid 15 cuban peso's a month to do their job. When you leave them one tourist peso and they convert it to their Cuban peso they end up with 24 of their money. So please tip them they deserve it. The food was ok at the buffet. However, if you stand in line at the grill in the buffet the lines are long but they are well worth the wait. I wouldn't suggest getting an ocean view room as most floors below the third are obstructed with bushes and you won't see a thing. I was disappointed paying the extra 50 dollars a person and not getting a view. I also wouldn't suggest getting the VIP Elite at the airport another 25 dollars a person and didn't get nearly enough to make this worth the extra money. Comfy couches at the airport and a cold cut sandwich with drinks. Didn't get to board plane earlier or stand in smaller lines at the airport just a waist of money. The drive to Santa Maria is long but you really get to see how the people live and how hard it must be for them. I honestly will recommend this resort and hope to go back in a few years. I had the most amazing vacation and I thank the wonderful staff and Sunwing for all the memories.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 53. Close to beach, close to buffet. Middle of everything. Big resort so if yo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Turtleford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Here is the scoop on Memories Paraiso/Azul resort in Cayo Santa Maria. We continue to return to this restort every December and March as it has what we enjoy for the right price. Its one of the cheaper vacations a person can take, yet you will not find a better beach anywhere else in the world. We continually bring different groups of friends with us who have been to St.Martins, Mexico, Hawaii, etc., and everyone says the beach here is the best beach they have ever seen. So this is one of the main reasons to go to this resort, for the beaches.
The actual rooms are fine, nothing fancy, but very comfortable and we have yet to have any issues with bugs in our room as I have read this on some other reviews, and if we did, I would request a move immediately and they would do this as they are looking to please their guests to the best of their ability. I have always chosen balcony rooms and I've yet to have any issues with these rooms.
We especially like the Paraiso side versus the Azul side. We have stayed at both. The Azul side is fancier, but further from the Market which we lunch in daily and enjoy going to dinners at the Japanese restaurant and bowling and the kids like the disco. There are golf carts you can be driven to the Market but we enjoy walking, just not as far as the Azul side is from the Market.
The main reason we continue to go back to Paraiso other than the beaches is the Service we get. The buffet servers are great, and the bartenders are so accommodating. Danny in the Lobby bar and Roberto and Carlos in the Grill on the Paraiso side were the best bartenders this time around, and in the Buffet I recommend looking for the station Osvaldo serves at as he is always there trying to keep your coffee, juice etc filled.
The only thing that does not get 5 stars on this resort from us is the food. But we don't focus our vacation around food, we would prefer great weather, great service and great beaches over 5 star food. You wont starve here, lol, there is always something to eat that isn't to bad at the buffett but it does get old quickly. We have found a way around this issue by using the market and beach for majority of our meals.
You will receive 3 al la cartes with your trip, I recommened the Italian, as it is the best we usually do this twice. We loved the Asian as well but they have changed it to Chinese in the market and unfortunately it was not good there. We do Japanese food in the Market 2 nites out of our stay which you have to pay $22.00 per person for but you get a drink with that and a 4 course awesome meal so it is well worth going. We also do an excursion with a lobster or chicken meal, I always have lobster, as well as there is the option to have a romantic lobster meal as an al la carte for $19.00 per person. So between the Italian free al la cartes, the 2 Japanese dinners from the market and the lobster/chicken meals we never eat the buffet for supper. We love our dinners at Memories and for people who get tired of the buffet quickly this is the way to go instead of complaining about the food. For lunches we love the Italian bistro in the Market which is very reasonably priced. Pizzas are $5.50 and easily feeds one person well. The Calzones are $4.50, and are large as well. They offer ham and pineapple, lobster, vege, there is no pepperoni just letting you know. We usually do 3-4 lunches here for an average of $10/person with a glass or two of wine and or a few beers. When we don't feel like leaving the beach than we just eat what they have on the beach. I like their chicken or pork sandwhichs, my kids and husband like their hotdogs. No one seems to enjoy the burgers. So really the only thing we ever goto the buffet for is breakfast which they have the best bread and butter which I toast, grab some watermelon and maybe some bacon which is a hit or miss. Willing to stand in line they make great omelettes.
I believe a holiday is what you choose to make of it. If you treat the staff like you expect them to bow down to you, expect them to not see you, lol, they don't want to be treat poorly, and who can blame them, treat them with the respect you want to be treated with and they will bend over backwards to keep you happy. Not a fan of the food, spend an extra $150 (per couple) for the week and have some great suppers and lunches in the market to break up the doldrums of the buffet. Cant say much about the pools, they look nice, but with such beautiful beaches we never sit at the pool.
My husband had to get stitches on one of our vacations and a cab took us to the hospital on the island a few minutes away and he was stitched up and released within 20 mins of arrival and it cost $20.00. It was clean and friendly and convenient if you do ever need medical treatment.
Well that is my review. We are headed back with a group of 10 for two weeks in March and we cant wait to see Osvaldo, Roberto, Carlos, Chino, Renaldo, and Danny, all such great staff, Choose Memories, if your looking for a nice place to relax on a budget, this is the place for you!
Kimberly D from Saskatchewan

Room Tip: Rooms on Parasio side are close to Market if you want to shop daily. Vendors change every two days.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello, Thank you for your comments on trip advisor are happy to have you as a customer and to know you enjoyed Our Facilities at the hotel, we hope to serve you again, come back and enjoy the good service make our staff our reason to be .
Memories, will always be welcome,

Edgar Ortiz

Been to Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort? Share your experiences!