“First Visit To Cuba Not So Bad After All” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort
You added Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort to your Saves list
Caibarien Villa Clara, Cuba   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Oakville, Canada
“First Visit To Cuba Not So Bad After All”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was our first holiday to Cuba. We had always been somewhat hesitant to choose Cuba as we prefer resorts and destinations where four and five stars means four or five stars. I hope this review is helpful for anyone who is not sure if Cuba is for them. Travel date Nov 5-11, 2012.
Rooms: Most important the rooms clean, towels and bed linen are clean and changed daily. We were very happy with our housekeeping staff. We did tip daily and left small gifts items of bath gels, soaps, lotion and candies. The decor is Cuban, therefore simple, but well done for what is available to them. The mini bar was stocked daily with two cans of pop, two beers and a large bottle of water; all local brands. The rooms have both 110v and 220v outlets, iron and board and a digital safe.
Pools and Beach: The resort is divided into three sections each with its own pool area, bar, buffet and beach access. The pools are very large and provide adequate lounge seating for everyone. The central pool also has a children’s area which is separate for the main pool. The beach had a lot of seaweed every morning; however, staff did clean the beach daily. The Beach Butler setup and cleaned our chair every morning and was timely with drink service. The beach is beautiful although wind during our visit.
Dinning: Our holiday included three a la carte restaurant nights. We booked our holiday last minute and were only able to make reservations for two nights. The Mediterranean restaurant is Mediterranean in name only. Nothing on the menu spoke Mediterranean to me. After leaving the restaurant we went one of the buffets for pizza. Our second reservation was at the Italian restaurant. The menu was Italian and the food was good not outstanding. It happened to be my birthday and they provided a small cake and champagne. The cake was the worst cake ever, absolutely uneatable. It was a nice jester. My wife and I felt bad to leave the cake, but it was just so bad we had no choice. We laugh it off and went on with our evening. The main buffet was better than the one at the pool. The same food was offered more or less at both buffets. I am not sure why the quality difference. The cheese selection and pizza bar are nice. I am a vegetarian and found I always had choices, however, sometimes limited. Beer and liquor were local and ok, the wine, also local and was one step away from store brand grape juice. You can pay extra for the Diamond Club and have access to premium brands. After speaking with several people who purchased the Diamond Club package, it was unanimous they found little value in the product and would not do it again. Recognize you do not go to Cuba for food and drink and keep your expectation around the mall food court level.
Resort: The overall resort was clean. The grounds are little below standard that’s not big deal. Staff are friendly and always willing to help for a tip. The entertainment was surprisingly enjoyable. The resort has built a market area they share with their sister resort next door. It is limited however, provides the tourist souvenirs you expect. The resort is on an island which is a one hour and forty minute bus ride from the airport. There are no locals on the island. Resort staff are bused in from the main island daily.
Closing Comments: This is a 3 to 3 ½ resort not 5. We were happy with our experience overall and would go back again. I strongly suggest you always keep in mind this is Cuba. Access to food and other produces we take for granted are not easy to come by for them. This includes services such as electricity, water and gas. These services are controlled by the government not the resort. We had no issues with these during our visit. Relax and do not worry about you do not have or “it’s not like this in Canada” and enjoy what Cuba and Memories Azul has to offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,309)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Memories Azul Nov 14-21, coming from Vancouver. I was warned not to expect 5 stars, but the reality was much poorer than i anticipated. We lived in 5144, great location, very close both to the beach and the lobbie/buffet/theatre. The room faced from the theatre, and nothing was heard at all. The rooms are planned well with the appropriate level of comfort in mind, but are not mantained well, definitely not clean enough, a lot of things do not work: of the whole climate suport only cooling system worked, but not warming or ceiling fan. The shower functioned well, not problem with drain, hot water or lack of toilet paper as others complained, but for some reason the unbearable toilet smell that could be dealt with only if conditioning was on, but then it was geting very cold inside. I asked for robes that were promissed for the dimond club grade, but after three days of reminding finally got something so disgustingly dirty that barely brought myself to touch it when returning. The towels and linens were OK, and the floor was mopped on a daily basis, but the shower curtain was molded, dust everywhere and even spidernets.
There was quite a reasonable variety of food, but none of the meats was prepared well, very hard, could barely chew on it. The fish was good as well as deserts, but as for fruit and vegetables - huge disappointment. The level of ofganization and cleanliness were unsatisfactory: i saw coackroach in a stack of plates, the plates often had food leftovers on the bottom side, i found molded butter pieces on quite a few occasions. The rolls would be warm outside, but frozen inside. Somehow there was always shortage of clean plates as soon as 15 minutes after the opening. We had 4 a la carte reservations, but went only to two. While the buffet staff was very friendly an helpful, the waiters in the restaurants were much less pleasant and with poorer language. On one occasion, the hostess kept trying to seat people at the poorly located table though there was plently of others. The impression was that while the "little" people were there for you, anybody with a hint of authority was unpleasant and not willing to cooperate. Any request to fix something had to come 3-4 times before the action was taken.
The beach is beautiful, but does not seem big enough, it was a bit crouded. The water was quite a dissappointment: very shallow on a significant distance, which resulted in unpleasant sandy waves, and farther though the waves were clean it was already too dangerous. We were not able to take a swim during the whole stay. Speaking of dangerous, my feeling was that safety was addressed very poorly - rare observation points, no motor boats, i don't remember seeing the guards at all.
All-in-all, the experience was not the worst, but i was hapy to leave and have no desire of coming back. Hear that Iberostar is quite different, maybe will try next time. I think the itensions are good, but there is lack of understanding of what good service is. This is a Cuban hotel, and since the level of poverty for most of the people is so awful it's probably hard to imagine that somebody could find the "royal" hotel conditions unsatiscaftory.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Saint John, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were at Memories Azul in Santa Maria Cuba from Oct. the 31st till Nov. the 14th I can not say that this place is a 5 Star Resort I wouls say it would be a 3 Star for me the hotel by it self is very clean and some rooms need a little face lift we were staying in Block 61 alittle far trom the lobby and the buffet but we had a wonderful viwe of the beach Sandy had just passed so the beach was not so clean but that is mother nature we can not do anything. As for the meals at the restaurant a la carte they were always cold and also on the Buffet you will find something to eat but often you must stand in line for about 10 to 15 minutes if you want a warm meal, As for the staff I have nothing to say the service was very very good for us. Keep in mind thar Cuba is one very cheap vacation I was very suprised to see most of the Canadians how they were not a nice croud to see or to be with they drank and ate like pigs as if tomorrow would be their last day before we use to say how Americans acted when we noticed the Canadians and their behavior we mentioned that here there is no Americans here it is Canadians who acted in dis-grace maybe we are not fit to be in an all inclusive not with people like we has seen we heard that on several occasions that items disappeard from different rooms there it happened to us it was nothing big but it happened if you go just notice how Canadian people don't respect them selfe A 5 star in Mexico is a 5 star Cuba is not that being in Cuba twice we would not go back.
Gordon

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
St. Catharines Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Hola Everyone

A bit late writing my review of Memories Azul. All I have to say about this years trip, is that it was so amazing this year, that we are going back next year same time. One tip. If you like to go Au Naturel and don't mind taking a little bus ride to get there, go up the road to Cayo Sol Santa Maria resort and just at the west end of the resort and around the corner, there is a stretch of beach over a kilometer long that is almost completely deserted. You'll love it. See you there maybe January 22 -29 2013

Room Tip: Bungalow 56-60 close to pool and snacks for lunch and quiet
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed from Nov 13-20, myself, my husband and our 7 year old son. Bungalow 58, didn't bother with Diamond Club.

Arrival: Our flight with Sunwing out of Calgary was on time and we had no issues. Check in for the hotel happened as we boarded our bus to the resort, if you haven't read on the forums or other reviews yet, yes, it is a 90 minute bus ride, but it is great to see the countryside and the 3 towns you drive through. Upon arrival at the hotel there were cold drinks and dancers to welcome us. In your check-in envelope you are given a map, it's pretty easy to find your bungalow if you can read a map, so no issues there. We were so happy to find our room had been outfitted with a king bed for us and they had brought in a single bed for our son, I hadn't emailed ahead of time and was dreading the two twin beds that two adults barely fit in, so well done!

Rooms: Our room was very clean, we had plenty of clean towels every day (yes, some of the beach towels are stained, but you can tell with a sniff they are very clean!), lots of toilet paper, our shower had tons of pressure and we always had hot water. Our maids were great, clean towels every day. We only tipped once half way through the week. They left us the typical towel art every day, lovely. We didn't always get face clothes or hand towels, but always had extra bath towels from the towel art, so made due. The only negative is although the beds were made daily, they didn't change the sheets once, so by the end of the week we were feeling a bit stale. The mattresses were a bit too firm for our taste, but I'd rather have firm than squeaky springs poking my back. The fridge was replenished every day but one, and when we asked for extra water they were more than happy to oblige. You can also re-fill your water bottles at the bars with filtered water. Our a/c worked great. The room had no weird smells or bugs.

Beach: It was a lot rougher than I expected, I was hoping for the calm clear sea you see in pictures, but we were told it's still rough from Sandy (that's just an observation, not a complaint against the hotel, that would be silly!). We still had a blast playing in the waves, it wasn't so rough you couldn't swim. There was still tons of seaweed being washed up, and they did their best to clean it up, but I think their priority was to re-build the palapas they lost during the hurricane, I think they were about halfway done putting the roofs back on by the time we left. The sand is truly like flour, it's so soft. Gorgeous!

Bars: We aren't ones to normally bring those big bubba mugs, we only usually have a couple drinks at a time, but this is one resort I wish we had them. I've never seen such small plastic cups. We were joking about our beer shooters. One day the beach bar actually ran out of cups so we had to go to the bar by the pool for drinks. As they say, it's Cuba! Stuff like this happens. The service makes up for it though, every one of the bartenders and servers were amazing and friendly. We didn't tip any of them, I never had cash at the beach or pool, but we still got great service by being friendly and polite.

Food: We didn't eat at the a la cartes since the reviews I had read ahead of time weren't too positive, so it seemed a waste of time. We were still provided reservations booked by the hotel, so don't feel you have to wait in line to book, they do it for you, unless you want a specific night and time. I think they little tickets came under our hotel door about day 3, so just be patient. The servers in the buffet were all great, always came to re-fill your drinks and make sure you had what you needed. The fresh fish station, meat station, and pasta station, along with the omelette station in the morning were truly our saving grace. Just add some rice and bread and we were fine. I'm not sure why so many people said they had to wait so long at the stations, we found if the line up was really busy we just waited 10 minutes and all of a sudden nobody was there. All the buffet would need to do to really improve the food situation would be to have a lot more vegetables, mushy broccoli night after night just doesn't cut it. If you were lucky there might be carrots, and there was generally corn, but it seemed once it was gone, they didn't re-fill it, and we went to dinner quite early every night. Having said that, yes, it is Cuba, and I know their supply is limited on a lot of items, but I would even be happy to eat more local food that is available. There is different hot sauces, ketchup, and salt and pepper, so at least we could add some flavour to the rice dishes. But again, the bread and buns are superb, and the fresh fish every day was amazing! We usually ate lunch at the pool restaurant (sorry, the name escapes me, Route 66 I think?), and it was the same food and fish and meat stations the buffet had. Someone mentioned they had no bread for toast at breakfast in a recent review, but we had bread and buns every morning. If there is no bread, just wait 5 minutes, it's on its way.

We didn't do any excursions, nothing really seemed worth the cost. We also missed all the shows (the benefits of travelling with a 7 year old!) but everyone seemed to enjoy them we talked to. If you don't like walking, the little golf carts run quite frequently. For those that said nasty things in other reviews like the drivers try to run people over, if you are actually in the cart you will realize some people walking are just brain dead and don't get out of the way until they get honked at. Just pay attention on the paths, the drivers aren't trying to run anyone over, just get to where they're going without having to honk at every 3rd person.

Pueblo La Estrella at the end of Memories Paraiso had lots of great vendors with little trinkets. Quite cheap compared to similar items we've seen in other countries.

Memories Paraiso was starting to open up the week we were there, and it really is the same hotel, so don't be concerned if you are put in a different side than you booked.

Overall, we loved this hotel. Like I mentioned, with a bit of improvement in the food situation, and changing the sheets during the stay, I really wouldn't have a problem saying it was perfect! As long as you do your research and know you are in the middle of nowhere and are just looking to relax and hang at the beach, you should be quite content at Memories!

Room Tip: Bungalow 58 is quiet and close to the pool and sports centre, but a bit of a walk from the buffet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I know this is long---so if you want the worst of it, skip to the last paragraph. Sorry.

We went there Nov 6-13, 2012. Diamond Club, Pool view. Room 5371.
I have to say I wasn't prepared for what Cuba's version of a 5 star resort was.
The rooms have a mildew-mold odor that was hard to get past, however leaving the balcony door open & the fan on low seemed to help.

Cleaning standards were poor and hard to ignore. Don't expect unstained linens or towels. In fact, except for 2 days we didn't have hand towels or facecloths in our room at all. There's also no Kleenex, and the TP is pretty nasty and they ration it out each day. We actually saw them wrapping toilet paper on empty rolls and putting that rationed roll in the room.
The week we were there, there was no electricity on 2 of the days, and no water at all for 1 day. That meant no showers, washing or toilet. As for the toilet---our's ran non-stop the whole week. The sink didn't drain, and even housekeeping struggled to get it to drain each day. Oh and the water; most days you couldn't get a hot shower, water was tepid at best.

Some rooms had coffee makers and some didn't. Even though ours did, we only got a coffee packet on 1 day the whole week. I even called the front twice about it, but it was never put in our room.

Keep your door extra bolted if you're in your room. I was sleeping and was awoken at 10:50 pm to a lady at the foot of my bed asking if I wanted turn-down service. I told her unlikely, since I was already in bed and sleeping! It really ticked me off, and she seemed unconcerned that she walked into my room while i was in bed and only in my underwear.

Food at the resort was bland & boring and we were disappointed with the lack of vegetables.
They also don't have bread, so people cut dinner rolls to toast at breakfast. The food at the buffet and in the ala carte's is always cold for some reason. We scored though 1/2 way thru the week when we discovered they have guys that will heat the pasta dishes up and you can pick your own sauce. Have to say it was pretty great and saved me from actually losing weight while we were there! Lol.
As for servers; gotta say that DELVIS was incredible! Always smiling and always there when you needed something.
Lobby Bar: an amazing server there was DANNY. If you're going there, please take that guy a little bottle of Grande Marnier! He's only had it once in his life & said he still has the empty bottle (they don't have ANY decent brandy there). As for the drinks: this was the winner. We never had a bad drink the entire week! Every bartender knew exactly what he was doing and man, the lobby bar made the best Spanish coffee I've ever had. I 'm craving one just thinking about it. We were in the diamond club, but the last day venture to the regular beach area and found a gem. The bar hut there had an incredible bartender. He flipped bottles in the air like it was nothing and made one hell of a piña colada! Worth the walk to the other side for sure :)
Entertainment: hands down the best shows we've ever seen at a resort. They also had live music every night in the lobby bar. Incredibly unexpected and a great time!

Now the REALLY bad news: Stay away from the Havana day excursion!! We're all still upset about it and I've been back for a week. We wasted hours & hours just sitting and waiting, (very poorly planned) and when we weren't on a bus, we were aggressively hounded by the locals. When you're on a tour your like marked bait. They see the guide and your wrist band and you're in trouble. We couldn't even really do any shopping they were that aggressive. You just couldn't escape it.

Also, No one also warned us that Havana doesn't have toilet seats in the washrooms! And you have to pay for a pre-rationed piece of crappy toilet paper. And good luck trying to find facilities with soap, running water or paper towels. One place we went into...(I shudder).. you had to urinate on on bucket on the floor. No water to wash, no soap or paper towels.

Almost everyone on our bus was either robber or scammed. Most of it in the presence of our guides and driver and no one did a thing. If you risk it and go, especially watch for the scam with the old cars, where you're invited to sit in them, and they offer to use your camera to take your picture. They tell you it'll cost 2 pesos. When they have your camera, they take the pic and suddenly the guy tosses the camera to another guy then he runs off. Guy #2 now advises you the price is 20 pesos, or you don't get your camera back.
This happened with the police, out guides and driver right there and they do nothing. We sat on the bus for an hour (waiting again) helplessly watching what turned out to be a group of 5 guys, scam tourist after tourist and the police & our guides were right there.

Worst yet was waiting at the airport, and told they didn't have a plane. After hours waiting & our guide arguing with the airport staff, we finally boarded. We had the scariest flight of my life and we ALL really believed we wouldn't make it back alive. Our plane only had 1 working engine. I still can't believe what happened. I'm angered that they LEFT the airport knowing that ahead of time but didn't tell any of us. We only clued in when the plane was twisting sideways across the runway instead of going straight. Some joked they were avoiding potholes. We only realized the reality of it when someone saw the right propeller wasn't turning. At one point our stewardess was on her knees in the back of the aisle saying the Hail Mary and crossing herself. 70 minutes later we landed and the plane erupted in cheers and applause. The guide called out, "by the grace of God we're alive!" But ironically, no apology for our ordeal.
I'm pretty sure I have PTSD, as usually I return well rested. This time I'm stressed out and have wide-awake flashbacks I can't shake. That excursion ruined our stay. I could've overlooked all the resorts negatives, solely on the fantastic drinks and entertainment, and hands-down best beach I've ever seen---but after that day trip from hell, I doubt we'll ever go back to Cuba again.

• Stayed November 2012
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Upon arrival at the hotel (late in the evening)we were starving and were told there was a 24 hour buffet and grill so out we headed. The food was disgusting, had definately been sitting out out for hours. From night one it was apparent the food was going to be terrible. The main buffet is way to crowded and the long lines to get freshly prepared foods made it untenable. The servers in the main buffet were unattentive -just getting a cup of coffee in the morning was a task. The room was old and tired and it wouldn't kill someone to perhaps dust the dust encrusted lamps and wood detail between the sink area and the bed area. Decent lighting in the sink area would be good too. Upon checkin we had NO TOWELS in the room. When I called the front desk I was answered and then hung up on. Housekeeping was definately not at work in building 54. We had to find the maid every other day looking for toilet paper.

The beach is quite narrow and over crowded with chairs and covered in piles of seawood and other sea debris. We will give the area the benefit of the doubt on this account because Sandy was quite devistating but a quick beach groom might be in order. The pool area was beautiful and the pool bar staff were the best we encountered during the whole vacation. They had control of the area up until they ran out of plastic cups mid afternoon-even then they tried to improvise the best they could even cutting down soda bottles to create glasses! Given that most experienced all inclusive travellers bring giant travel coffee cups for their free drinks the uninformed amongst us were still well taken care of.

The diamond club option really served no purpose. The booking of a la carte took as long or longer than the regular line up. The bartenders do not pour the premium liquors very willingly-perhaps if they kept them at the bar they might use them more. No lines were shortened, no food was better and the room could not have been upgraded at all. They might want to actually add value for the added cost.

Sunwing nickles and dimes you on things like seat selection ($40 for the exit seats but covers nothing else special, at all including last served during the meal so out of luck if you don't want whats left over)and the vip lounge at the airport(best food we had all vacay so well worth it). The staff on our return flight where busy sharing some in jokes and giggled their way through the safety show while making funny faces at each other-not inclusive of guests but rather mocking us. In contrast to the staff on the way down - they were professional, friendly, helpful and really made a bad situation a good start (full flight, tons of issues with seperated parties and unsympathetic passengers). Return staff with much less work (half full flight with no issues)were just downright haughty and nasty..

Bottom line if your standards are flexible and abundance is more important than quality go for it but if you like a clean room with towels and toilet paper, good service and decent food I would say maybe look for a more exclusive (yes I mean expensive)property. We still had a great time because we really needed the break from real life and the sun and pool made up for most of it but we wouldn't go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort? Share your experiences!