“FANTASTICO TRIP WITH CROATIA GIRLS” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Buenavista

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Buenavista
You added Melia Buenavista to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Madruguilla, 52500, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Cochrane, Canada
“FANTASTICO TRIP WITH CROATIA GIRLS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Had a fantastic time for a week, first week in April 2012, enjoyed all the beaches, snorkled, drank, food was good, the rooms are fantastic, views are clear, blue, sunny, hot, staff are interactive and are the best people.
Sand is hot, and that being said, so was\is my wife, the people from Canada we met and the Croatia Girls. It, I think was the greatest time we have had. Thanks to all the staff!!! and the friends we made from Canada....Brad, Kelly, Mark, Keiza, and of course Croatia's best ...Darka, Francoise, Masa, and Nadja. We will meet again. GO WORLD !!!!!

Room Tip: Room facing the sunset beach was beautiful every night, and the music on the beach was attractive an...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ernesto O, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the very kind feedback and for staying with us at Melia Buenavista. I am very proud of the outstanding team I have working for us and so glad we all exceeded your expectations.
It´s great that you had such a good time with other guest.
We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to your new home in Cuba, so we can once again create great memories for you.

Warm Regards

Ernesto Osuna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I traveled to the Melia B on Oct 10-17 2012 this was my first time to Cayo Santa Maria as we had been 2 years ago to the Royal Hideaway on Cayo Ensanacho, the Melia B is a nice small resort of 105 rooms at the time we were there they were at 60% occupancy so not a lot of people fighting for a beach chair. It takes about 10 minutes to do a complete visit of the site and you end up meeting all of the staff,gardeners and all in about 2 days, it is the staff that makes this place shine they are all really kind and polite ...they do the extra effort and it shows my compliments to all of the bar personnel as I would get excellent cappuccinos in the morning from the lobby bar before breakfast and they were always excellent whoever was on shift that morning. The service you will receive from Oreste and Norge at the Pool Bar will stay with you as part of your good memories there service and smile are genuine and warm.
There are 3 a la carte restaurants on site but due to the low season only 2 were open using the 3rd restaurant for breakfast and lunch ( buffet ) which was ok but as for the a la carte well that is where they could use some polishing up ....have you ordered surf& turf and get chicken and a lobster tail...the best meal we had was Cuban night I imagine that you cannot really be a good international cook if you have never been outside your country or study at a good cooking school so they try hard but stick to the local recipes and you can make your way.
What I found unfortunate is that the beaches are not that great , there is the sunset beach where the sunsets at night are beautiful but the beach is protected by some land which in turn makes the water more calm but the downside is the ocean floor is a kind of mud that you sink into up to your ankles not too much fun…then there is a small beach behind the pool bar but you really have to watch where you step in as there is a lot small reefs and coral all around …not too much fun also they have good old wood beach lounge chairs but unfortunately they are not holding up to well you have to look hard and carefully to find a good beach chair at this little beach. Finally the main beach… the drop off to water is steep this place caters to the 50-70 year old population but the first cliff to get into and climb back onto the beach to get out of the water is not much fun combine that with high-tide and a good undertow current and it gets to be a bit tough when you want to get out of the water.
The rooms are nice and big and really comfortable we had the prime ocean view and do not regret paying the extra for the view it was beautiful, the rest of the complex is well kept and I constantly saw workmen and painters working to keep the place in top shape.

For myself if they could get an excellent cook ( but hey were in Cuba ) bring the food up a notch …get and old tractor or bulldozer to level out the beach …and replace the broken wood beach this place would be a real diamond as the staff will win your heart.

Room Tip: We had room 2321 very close to the breakfast resturant with a great view of the ocean
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Let me express gratitude for your taking the time to write about your stay at Melia Buenavista.

I have read all your comments, and certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and I see possibilities to improve so we are already working on them.

In gratitude, thanks once more for your comments. Be assured that your feedback is valued and important.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I spent an amazing 6 days in this resort while travelling through Cuba with my 3 girlfriends. Even though we knew this was a couples resort, we had so much fun there and met some amazing people from Canada who really made our stay extra fun. The Royal service was truly impecable. Our butler made sure we had everything we wished for and more. One of my girlfriends had birthday the last night of our stay and the staff helped us organize a surprise dinner and party. All the people working there were super friendly and polite and really made all our wishes come true. This was truly a vacation I will never forget!!! And hopefully I'll be able to come there again!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Ernesto O, Manager at Melia Buenavista, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us in MeliaBuenavista. I’ll be happy to share your impressions with my staff who seems to have provided a caring service to you and your friends.

Thank you for recommending us, we appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the paradise of Cayo Santa María.

Regards,
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I booked this vacation due to the great reviews I had read. Sometimes I think I must have stayed at a different hotel. I was looking so forward to this vacation as it was cancelled in August due to hurricane Isaac and my job has been so stressful.
When we arrived at the hotel it was raining and the butler who greeted us took me and my husband to our room with another couple. I have no idea to this day who actually which butlers were assigned to us. So we walked in the rain with no umbrella to our room first in the dark because the lights outside rarely worked. As the butler took us to our room he left the other couple outside alone in the dark and in the rain. I have been to Cuba 4 times not to mention the many other countries but I will base this review with the other resorts I have stayed in Cuba.
Food the selection is terrible or should I say a lack of variety....same thing everyday. Sometimes I would get the menu and order then they would tell me the don't have it. In the morning some of the wait staff were so rude. They do not change the tablecloths so I asked them to remove the crumbs at least. So they did not pleased then ignored us for 30 minutes. We were served cold food 3 times and you were lucky to get a second glass of orange juice. The rooms are great the best I have stayed at and thank God for the cable tv because that was our entertainment for the week. We are not drinkers or party people but my 87 year old mother would have found this hotel so boring. Yes I wanted relaxation but this hotel went overboard. We had dirty dishes left in our room for 3 days and had to use the same beach towel for 3 days. We told the butler it was my birthday the day after we arrived and was told happy birthday and that's it. Never have I experienced such a place as this. No way is this a 5 star hotel. I paid good money for this trip as I spoke to others and I paid over 1,000 dollars more than other people from Toronto. I'm not picky I just want to receive what is advertised or I would have picked a different rating hotel. I have stayed at 4 star hotels in Cuba and the service, food and entertainment was so much better.
It really bothered me seeing the dog with his ribs showing and sores all over. I felt so sorry for the dog. We experienced some bad weather, hurricane sandy with no information provided by the hotel or by air canada vacations. When I asked they would laugh at me. Listen this was my first hurricane and information should be provided to ease people's minds and I wasn't the only one saying that. So our entertainment was tv in our rooms. As a hotel you should entertain your guests any way possible by making other arrangements that doesn't involve being outside.
Butlers I had to keep asking at reception to page in order to make MTV dinner reservations then hunt them down again to get the paper to present to the restaurant. I didn't come for my vacation to hunt down my butlers. Turn down bed was asked only once during my 7 days, pillow menu I guess looks good on paper. Called room service one morning because it was raining and windy and was told it was too rainy for them so it's ok for your guests to go out in the rain and wind.
Cappichino coffees are great in the bar. I really hate to complain but we really didn't get what we paid for and I thought this was going to be a great birthday with some pampering didn't happen. I did notice it really depends on the people the service they pick and choose and we were not one of them. It actually upsets me hen I continue to read the positive reviews with their level of service we were not provided.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting the Melia Buenavista to celebrate your birthday. I am sorry to read your comment and finding out that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. As we strive to make every guest feel special, I apologize for not been as emphatic during the celebration of your anniversary. I will share your comment with our staff to learn from it.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the Melia Buenavista in order to make your stay a more memorable one.

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have just returned from two weeks at the Melia Buenavista in Cayo Santa Maria. As this is a hotel review that's all I'm going to comment on...
We have been lucky enough to stay in some lovely places over the years and this one didn't let us down. The accomodation is gorgeous, the rooms are huge with huge beds, seating area, balcony, walk in wardrobe, jacuzzi bath and an outdoor shower (that was interesting in the thunder and lightening!). The rooms are really tastefully decorated and well maintained. Every day the maid came in and tidied the room, made the bed and created some animal or other out of the towels! On an evening while you are in the restaurant your bed is turned down and little flowers left on your free slippers.
The butlers were amazing. We had Lucas and Alien (pronounced alain!). Every morning they would check in with us at breakfast to see if there was anything we needed and if everything was ok with our room. The only thing we asked for was milk for our room so we could have coffee first thing in the morning (there's a coffee maker in each room). Each day they booked a table for us for our evening meal (there were two restaurants to choose from) at whatever time we requested. They also arranged room service for early breakfasts when we went on excursions. One day we came back to find a vase with flowers and a note from Lucas reminding us to contact him if we needed anything. After one of our excursions we came back to find a plate of cheese and olives waiting for us, and after another trip we came back and found a trail of petals from our door to the jacuzzi, which had been filled and decorated with bubble bath and flowers! The water was piping hot so they must have known roughly what time we would get back.
On our first morning we were on our way to breakfast when the gardeners called us over to see a tiny birds nest with baby birds in it. Later in the week the gardeners also brought us coconuts which they had made a hole in and the bar staff topped them up with rum and added a straw! Lovely. I knew then the staff would be amazing!
The restaurant staff were brilliant too, friendly and fun. Yami, Yamisera to name just two were always pleased to great you and ask if you were ok.
The two pools are small and intimate. There is plenty of shade for those like me who need it. One pool is very quiet, and the other is where there is music playing, aqua aerobics and volley ball for those who want to join in. Lily looks after the entertainment side of things and she was great fun. Always smiling and there is no pressure to get involved if it's not your thing. This pool also has the pool bar and barbeque. The pool bar staff (and the poor chef who slaves over the barbeque in soaring temperatures) are fantastic. Orestes and Norge spent their day travelling round the customers on their sunbeds or in the pool, and also kept nipping on to the beach, to see if anyone wanted a drink. They learned what we liked and looked after us well. You can even order food from the bar guys and they will bring it to your sunbed if you feel you don't have the energy to go and get it yourself!
On the beach you can wade into the sea and feed the fish who appear as soon as you throw a bit of bread in! At the top end of the beach you can do some watersports - nothing noisey though and people did some fishing from the rocks.
If I have to criticise anything at all it would be that there is no buffet on an evening and sometimes I really just wanted some salad and a bit of meat rather than the whole waiter service 4 course meal. But I understand this is available in high season. And whilst I'm talking food, you can have room service at any time (and even though there is a room service menu I think you can have pretty much anything they do) so if you fancied you could eat in your room every night if that's your choice!
There's not much around the hotel so if you're looking for somewhere to just go and lie down and be pampered for a fortnight you've come to the right place.
All in all, this was a wonderful holiday. The atmosphere is relaxed. The entertainment on an evening is classy - singers, woodwind quartet, pianist. All the staff really make this place welcoming. You have to accept that maybe things won't be as quick as you are used to at home, there sometimes may not be any chocolate for your 'mudslide', there is no need to get wound up by these things - you are on holiday after all, so chill out and de stress! This is the perfect place to do just that.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the very kind feedback and for staying with us at MeliaBuenavista. I am very proud of the outstanding team I have working for us and so glad we all exceeded your expectations.

Warm Regards

BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let me start off by apologizing for my very long review, I had planned on a very condensed version, but it did not turn out that way. I have tried to give a very honest review of every aspect of our lovely vacation. It was not perfect, but it was lovely indeed.

We spent 2 weeks at the Melia Buenavista in mid-September, and while we were a bit concerned about going in the rainy season (we usually travel to Cuba in February and March), the weather cooperated and we only had one day that was cloudy all day, and we were still able to stay at the beach all day. We got caught in 2 downpours that had us drenched as we hurried to our room, but within ½ hour the sun was blazing and we were back at the beach. The major storms all seemed to happen at night, and as a result it was very humid when the sun came out the next day. This also brought out the bugs, little noseeums that leave horrible welts that are viciously itchy. I covered myself in DEET day and night and still managed to get bit. The only thing that helped reduce the swelling and itching was the nectar from an Aloe Vera plant that one of the gardeners gave me after seeing my bites, it was very sweet of him to take the time to help me out, just an example of the lovely people you will meet here. I was surprised it worked so well, as none of the after bite lotions I brought from Canada made any difference at all. The resort does everything its power to control the bugs, they fumigate twice daily with a very smelly diesel product, but the smell is truly the lesser of the evils, I would much rather deal with the smell from the fumigation than even more bites. So, if you travel at this time of the year, make sure you pack lots of bug spray as you will need it.

We travelled on Sunwing as this is the only company that flies direct from B.C. to Santa Clara. We paid for extra leg room and luggage allowance, and were glad we did. The flight attendants were pleasant & the flights there and back were on time. We would definitely consider traveling with Sunwing again.

Upon arrival at the resort we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and handed a glass of complimentary champagne and a cool towel. The lobby is decorated in a minimalist fashion and the scent of incense lingered in the air, and that coupled with the eclectic music softly playing in the background made for a very peaceful, soothing arrival. After taking our luggage to our room we headed off to Los Navegantes for dinner. We only ate in this particular a la carte twice, and after the first time I’m not sure why we went back again, it was truly awful. The buns were the best part of the meal, and I must say that they were wonderfully tasty at each and every dinner that they served them (they were not served at every meal; it was dependant on the theme for the night). We ate at the Los Caribes for every other meal, and some nights it was very, very good, and some nights extremely disappointing. On a couple of occasions we did not finish our meal as the chicken was very underdone, almost raw. I do have to say that they were very accommodating to my food allergy (allergic to shellfish) and the fact that I don’t eat beef or pork. Even though the menus had many items that I could not eat they went out of their way to ensure I had plenty to eat and prepared vegetarian dishes for me if I asked for them. They prepared lovely salads for me & substituted any soups that would not work with my diet with a tasty potato soup that I really enjoyed. At breakfast ( los Marinos) you have the option of ordering from the menu or choosing from the buffet items. We found the buffet somewhat limited and as a result ordered from the menu which was usually quite good. I do have to add that the cappuccinos they prepared at this resort were the best I have ever had!!! We only ate lunch a couple of times, so can’t say too much about that other than the barbequed chicken that we had from the activity pool was delicious!

We had an ocean view room, and it was lovely, the view was spectacular. The bed was comfortable, and the pillows we had upon arrival were perfect, we did not have to use the pillow menu. I am extremely fussy about my pillows as I suffer from neck pain without the right pillow, but our pillows were wonderful, no problems with my neck at all. I loved the outdoor shower, it was very refreshing, however, not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much if the weather had been bad, however, if that was the case there is a nicely sized Jacuzzi tub to use instead. There is a seating area with couch, chairs and coffee table if you feel like staying indoors, however, we preferred to sit out on the deck and gaze at the beautiful ocean. The closet is a nice size, plenty of room for all our clothes and it also had a safe that was large enough to stuff my huge purse into  Our fridge was always well-stocked with whatever we requested and occasionally with a little surprise (champagne on one occasion and rum on another). Our room was cleaned twice daily, once during the day and then again for the turn-down service. On one occasion early in our stay the turn down service arrived quite late (late for us...we do go to bed early) at 10 p.m., but once they realized we weren’t night owls, they quickly changed the times that they came to our room & it was always ready for us when we were ready to turn in.

The resort has butler service, and they look after things such as booking your reservations at the restaurants, etc. We only really used their services for booking our reservations, and to get a couple of things fixed in our room (light bulb in the bathroom wasn’t working and one of the drawers in the closet was broken). They did check with us on a daily basis to make sure we had everything we needed and that everything was ok. On 2 occasions we returned to our room after dinner to find that they had run a bubble bath for us and had artfully arranged exotic flowers on top of the bubbles (heart shapes, etc.). The second night a path of the most fragrant flowers I have ever smelled was laid from the door to the tub, so very sweet!

The beaches were fabulous. We spent the majority of our time at the main beach, and never had any problem finding a palapa; in fact the waiters would quite often surprise us by having our favourite spot reserved for us. The snorkelling was fantastic, lots to see and very close to shore. You didn’t even have to don a snorkel to see fish, all you had to do was walk out close to the reef and you will find yourself surrounded by inquisitive tropical fish. Two days before we left for home, we saw 2 rather large barracuda’s near the reef just offshore. They seemed to have no intention of leaving and were spending a lot of time very close to shore, so we packed up and went to the pool, yes we are cowards...LOL. The lifeguards said they do not attack people as a rule, but they warned against going in the water with any sort of jewellery on, as the barracuda can mistake the glimmer of jewellery for a fish, and cause them to attack for that reason. There were a few days where it was quite windy and so the waves were quite high, but not high enough to red flag the beach. Most days the water was crystal clear and beautiful! There is bar service on the main beach and the smaller beach behind the activity pool. The waiters on the beach work very hard, and in extreme temperatures, we were always well taken care off.

Sadly, we saw many people walking on the coral reefs, and even taking pieces of the reef as souvenirs.... if this continues the reefs will disappear. I do hope more people educate themselves on the delicacy of this ocean environment before they travel to the tropics, and destroy this delicate ecosystem and the amazing marine environment that thrives there. I know this has nothing to do with the resort, but feel that it should be said so that hopefully a few people take note and continue to pass this message along, and exercise more caution when they are swimming and snorkelling around the reefs.

We only went to the pool 3 times during our stay, as we prefer beaches to pools. We only went to the quiet pool, and there were always plenty of loungers to choose from. The quiet pool has an “island” in the center with palm trees, banana trees and other tropical vegetation. My husband ate some of the ripe bananas and said they were unlike any he had ever eaten before, they were apparently very good!

The manager Eduardo was a strong presence at the resort, and we chatted with him several times during our stay. The staff were wonderful, it was impossible to walk anywhere in the resort without a smile on your face as the staff were always smiling and wonderfully pleasant to have around. We loved the fact that this resort is small and not a rowdy party resort, it was everything we were looking for and a wee bit more. We would recommend this resort to all our family and friends, and hope to return for another visit to this beautiful little piece of paradise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Muchas gracias for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at MeliaBuenavista. Reading about wonderful experiences such as yours inspires us to continue providing first class facilities and warmth service. It seems that you enjoyed our beach…….., however I will be sure share your comments with our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was our second visit to this hotel and the hotel has greatly improved.

AIRPORT: Small. Get your money exchanged here, way cheaper than what the hotel charges.
When departing, your sunwing/aircanada representative.. etc offer the "VIP Lounge" for $20CUC per person, not worth it.

RESORT: Approx 1.5-2 hours from the airport depending on the traffic and day you arrive. Note to self, not all buses have an accessible washroom, so try to go in the airport.

INTERNET: NO WIFI. Still as slow as ever depending when you use it.

ROOMS: All the rooms look the same except the 4 rooms in building 19 in which you get an extra bathroom and tv in the living area. Not worth the extra $$$. All rooms are clean and modern. Amenities ie slippers, sewing kit, "pillow menu" are all included.

BEACH:Gorgeous beaches, best I have ever been. Clean, clear water and very safe to walk on.
Best place to snorkel. No need to get out of the resort for a snorkelling expedition. You can walk to the other resorts along the beach, approx 20-30 minutes to Melia Sol Cayo Santa Maria and another 20 minutes on top of that to Melia Las Dunas.

FOOD: I found during this second trip, there were more choices and the service was a lot faster. Lunch is served at the buffet, os caribes (pizza and pasta) and by the pool for grilled items.
During dinner, 2-3 restaurants are open. Los Navigantes is international and the food they served is similar to the 24hr room service dinner. Los Caribes turns into cuban, seafood.. themed restaurant. The buffet turns into seafood restaurant. We only tried the Mexican at Melia Las Dunas and it was awesome. You can never go hungry, you have access to all the buffets and restaurants at the other 2 sister resorts.

BUTLERS: Rotate everyother day, caters to your needs. Try to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

WEATHER: First 3-4 days were HOT HOT. Hurricane Sandy came and ruined it.

OVERALL: Very quiet resort. Navi, in charged of pool activities makes every effort to keep guest entertained and moving. Gardeners like Armando is great at greeting guests by the buffet every morning, and when possible would offer fresh coconuts.

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Melia Buenavista Team, we want to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our “obliging” staff.

It is very satisfactory to know you enjoyed snorkeling, and the service of our staff. I`m glad you liked it.
We are also pleased to know that our associates, whom we are very proud of, were always helpful with your requests.

It is very important your opinion as repetitive guest. It´s a pleasure to have you back and we hope to see you again very soon in the near future.

Ernesto Osuna

Been to Melia Buenavista? Share your experiences!