“Fine for one night stay, wouldn't stay longer” 3 of 5 stars

You added Wathsala Inn to your Saves list
Wathsala Inn
Adam's Peak, Nallathanniya, Sri Lanka   |
Sydney, Australia
“Fine for one night stay, wouldn't stay longer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place is one of the cheaper options in Dalhousie. If you don't mind paying more then you can probably go somewhere nicer. That being said, this place is pretty good. The room had a fantastic view of the peak and had all the basics. There was also a lovely view of the peak from the dining area and the staff were quite nice and friendly.

It's not the most spotless place to stay, but it will do you fine for one night while you climb the peak (and you don't have any reason to stay longer in Dalhousie). We had one of the upstairs rooms, my friend had a downstairs room and I think it was a lot worse - no hot water and a bit dirty.

Room Tip: Go for the upstairs rooms rather than the downstairs!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Thankfully we only stayed 1 night at this place and most of it was spent climbing Sri Pada (Adam's Peak) because it was truly terrible. Upon checking in we were shown to our room which dank and dirty. There was also a stray cat running around it, including on the bed. Upon inspection we found out that the toilet didn't flush, a problem that took several complaints, many staff members traipsing through our room shaking their heads and looking perplexed and well over 3 hours to fix.

We thankfully had sleep sheets with us so didn't have to touch the linen which obviously hadn't been washed and managed to get a few hours sleep before waking up at 2am to start our climb. After climbing the peak, we returned to our room had a quick shower and thankfully got out of there are quickly as possible (which actually took about 30 minutes as no one seemed interested in helping us check out) - my advice is to stay somewhere else. I wish I could've booked into Slightly Chilled, which by all accounts is meant to be great but sadly they were full.

Room Tip: I hear Slightly Chilled is nice :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Nallathanniya hotels

Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

we were on the floor directly under dining room, room was large, clean but a little musty, we had no hot water for our stay, which was annoying!
Food was average at best. Lobby and dining area was loud, the bar is a typical Sri Lankan bar, not really somewhere to enjoy a drink. No atmosphere, poor service by most working there.
All in all a room is needed before the cimb 3000rps is def cheaper than other options in the village and I was content enough with my stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I'm not going to go into more detail other than we were given one of their basement rooms which our driver thought was his! (He didn't get one and was expected to sleep in his car)! the room was shocking and basic beyond belief. We told our driver to contact the tour company who had arranged the room and asked them to find somehwere else. Eventually we ended up over a shop in the main square which was marginally better but no way were we going to remain in the Wathsala. Even our driver was kicking up a stink about this place! There did appear to be better rooms but the inn was booked out that night, so no alternative rooms were avilable. Upon walking out, management couldn't care less.
Try somewhere else if at all possible

Room Tip: avoid this hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Darfur, Sudan via Charlotte, NC, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

In my entire history of traveling, I have not had a worse hotel experience ANYWHERE! The only reason it got ONE star is because the website wouldn't let me move forward with NO stars. It was WORSE than Terrible!!

The Good: The room was large. You have a view of Adam's Peak from the dining room.

The Bad: EVERYTHING else. Upon entry, the lobby area was just slightly grimy. It felt like a backpacker's haven. Which, of course, is great - if you're a backpacker! I'm not. It was raining, but from our table in the lobby, the view of the Peak was nice, but the atmosphere was not. Plenty of smokers and many questionable people who just seemed to be wandering in and about.

Upon entering the room, I detected an malodorous smell similar to cat urine. I let it go and figured if I opened the windows/doors, it would go away. Mosquitos were so thick around the window/door area, that it was almost impossible to get to the area to open it without getting attacked. I realized when I thought I'd get some sleep that the odor was actually coming from the blanket on the bed. It was cold and I needed it, so I tried to suck it up. After all, there was a sheet in between. But the sheet only covered half of the vertical length of the bed, and was folded over to look like a whole sheet! To make matters worse, the bed was damp! Not wet, but damp, and in the cold room, damp was bone-chilling. When I asked for assistance, the guy came and put another sheet on top of the bed. This sheet was filthy with unrecognizable brown spots and actually had holes in it. And then the guy asks if I'm "happy"? Unbelievable. Since I really needed a few hours sleep so that I would be "fresh" for the climb, I tried to deal with it. That's when I discovered all the holes in the mosquito net. Mosquitos were inside the net as soon as the lights went out. Unbearable.

And to make it worse, it was extremely NOISY. Extreme chatter downstairs, tuk-tuks roaring in and out of the parking lot non-stop. I understand most people are going to climb at 1:00AM and probably won't sleep, but some people DO want to sleep. When I went downstairs to complain about the noise, I discovered that there was a large, dark room where all the drivers and tour guides were gatherered drinking and smoking and having a veritable party! From whence came the noise. It wasn't the guests at all... this hotel was obviously the hangout for all the tour staff.

There was a buffet set, but no food. And the hotel was not very amenable to providing food after the "rush hour" - unless you were in the Sri Lankan tour guide room. Even at 1:30-2:00 right before the climb, there was no food. I found later they expect you to eat AFTER the climb! The staff was extremely unhelpful and kinda followed you around with their eyes, but disappeared if you asked for something.

Overall, the whole hotel's just had a seedy feel to it. Damp and dirty rooms, noisy, smoky atmosphere, unappealing less than clean lobby, slightly salacious people tramping about at all hours. Not my cup of tea. Obviously for other reviewers, the view of Adam's Peak made up for all the defects, but for me, the view wasn't enough to justify this place. I ended up sleeping the night away in the car - and the view of the Peak was about the same!

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here one night to visit Adam's Peak. We did email them before and the price was given as 4900Rs, our Tuk-Tuk driver said just go in and ask for a room, we did and the price was 3000Rs.
The room was a good size, double bed with mosquito net, balcony and okay bathroom with hot water.
Food was fine, rice and curry and breakfast after returning from the walk.
Bed sheets smelled a bit funny (could just have been the detergent, not sure) so we slept in our silk liners.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I enjoyed our stay here, the staff were so friendly and helpful, the view was the best view from a guest house in Dalhousie and the food was nice, the pots of tea served with breakfast was also really nice.

We had a room in the basement, it was very damp, the Dalhousie area is cool and damp so the only way the room would not be damp would be to have a dehumidifier in the room. The sheets were damp and the mosquito net was in shreds. We asked for more sheets so we could have extra to sleep under which were not so damp. I had one hot shower in the 2 nights I spent here. Other rooms that were not in the basement seemed to be in better condition , not too damp, decent mosquito nets etc.

Despite the damp cold room, I cannot give this place a bad review because the friendliness of the staff and the atmosphere and view in the restaurant made up for it.

I had a wonderful time in Dalhousie, we stayed for an extra night after climbing Adams Peak and we were happy we did, it's a beautiful area and the people are so friendly.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Wathsala Inn? Share your experiences!