TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Description: lovely restaurant, excellent food, great ambiance
Exeter, New Hampshire
“disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

don't know about my fellow travelers but I do not like having to write a really bad review, but.....
According to Trip advisor this is the best restaurant in Tapalpa, so we went. We asked for a marguerite on the rocks, back came crushed ice etc.
the waiter then took our order, he wrote my wife's order then disappeared, so we asked him to come back and take mine. He told me the steak and salad I wanted was not available, but the steak mexicana, or steak a la plancha was available. I ordered the steak mexicana , medium which he wrote down and left.
my wife's chicken was served, and it was a thin piece of chicken over cooked and stringy, and ten minutes went by and we asked the waiter what happened to my steak. he came back and said steak mexicana was not available, but steak asada was...? so we left.
they apologized, but too late.
The decor is great , but if i ever return I would order something they cannot mess up, maybe a bottle of beer.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Marlborough, MA
“Fair and out if many things”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went here to eat on a Friday around 8:00 and we were one of two tables eating here. They have a wine list but many of the bottles they did not have. They were out if the trout. Started with the tortilla soup and it was fair. Ended up with chili rellenos and enchiladas for our main dishes. They were ok but nothing to go back for. My other issue was that our main dishes did not come out together. I was almost done when our other dish came out.

Something must have changed based on the other good reviews. I would go somewhere else.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
“Excellent Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

That day we almost had breakfast in "La Troje", just around the corner from Los Girasoles, but we had already had lunch there the day before and we did not have the best service from La Troje's waitress, so after being lured by the guitar music and the sound of water splashing from the fountain, we just had to go inside. It was around 9am and we were the only ones there, so our waitress did do her job well. After looking at the menu, I did find it a bit lame, in great contrast with the great settings, but after taking a bite of what the menu simply called "quesadillas", I have to say the wording in the menu did not do much justice to our meals. Those quesadillas were just great! I did find the fruit and yogurt dish unjustifiably expensive. 70 pesos for just fruit and yogurt was more than the price of some of the main breakfast entrées.
If you're looking for one quite place to spend a romantic morning with your significant other, this is the place to be. I can't describe with words the peace that comes from sipping a delicious "café de olla" while looking at all the decorations that belong in a small Mexican Hacienda.
If you're looking to have one great meal, well... I think you can spend less on chilaquiles somewhere else. Having said that, I must also say you just can't miss eating at this very alluring place during your visit to Tapalpa.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Ayala
“A gem in Tapalpa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We really enjoyed this restaurant. It is beautifully decorated and has a very relaxing, cozy atmosphere. A previous reviewer commented on the service being slow. Going to Los Girasoles is a dining experience. If one wants to eat and go, this is not the place. The food is very well prepared, flavorful and finally different than most restaurant offerings in Jalisco and Nayarit that we have generally experienced. I would consider it gourmet. The service was excellent. This dining experience was a highlight in our visit toTapalpa. Would definitely recommend this restaurant!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Great first visit to Los Girasoles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

On the recommendation of a colleague, we visited Los Girasoles, which is well located just a half block from the main church or temple as they call it. We ordered 4 mains, had 2 as appetizers. The real hits were the stuffed chile (I think it was called Chile Relleno Girasoles), which was a little different with banana and panela, in a brava sauce (you have your choice, but we picked the spiciest one) and it was delicious. The rice that comes with it is brown rice so has a lovely texture. We also had the enchiladas, which were all right, but the chile was what stood out. For mains, I had the birria while my husband had the trout in lemon sauce. The trout was the winner here - absolutely delicious, fresh, and the sauce was light and complemented the trout. The birria was not the best I had, but I should have expected this as the best birria is often at places that only make birria.

The staff were very attentive but not overwhelming. The restaurant has different sections, but the courtyard is charming. We will likely return on a subsequent visit.

• Visited August 2012